- Florida was once hailed as the gold standard in COVID-19 data transparency and accessibility. Now its system is seen as corrupt and inaccessible.
- Jeepney buses, with their cheerfully gaudy exteriors and packed-in seats, are a national symbol of the Philippines, a form of public transport known affectionately as 'kings of the road'. But almost all of them have been forced off the roads by possibly the world's longest and strictest coronavirus lockdown. The situation has left many of the drivers destitute and desperate, with fellow citizens stepping in to raise money for them via Facebook groups. Jowel Palaña, 41, a jeepney driver in
- via politico.comA slowdown in adding new voters to the rolls during the pandemic has played to Republicans' advantage.
- At least two doctors in Syria's opposition-held northwest have been infected with the coronavirus, according to a monitoring group Saturday, raising the total number of cases in the overcrowded rebel enclave to three.The Syrian opposition and militant groups control the Idlib area, which is home to more than 3 million people, most of them displaced by the war and living in tent camps and overcrowded facilities.Local health facilities have been targeted in Syrian government attacks that have rece
- John Roberts sided with the court’s liberal bloc in two notable recent cases, but critics say he’s no swing voter on voting rightsTo an outside observer, it might seem like the US supreme court is having a liberal moment, mostly thanks to one justice.Chief Justice John Roberts – the court’s swing vote – surprised many this term by siding with the court’s left-leaning bloc and casting the deciding vote in two of the most high-stakes cases, with rulings that ens
- Air conditioning units that recirculate the same air in a room should be switched off or only used with open windows, experts have urged, amid mounting concern around the role of airborne transmission to spread Covid-19. Experts told the Telegraph that air conditioning units that only used recirculated air could exacerbate the spread of virus particles if someone was infected with Covid-19. Dr Shaun Fitzgerald, a fellow at the Royal Academy of Engineering, said there were two types of air condit
- A monkey trainer in the southern Thailand said very few monkeys are involved in harvesting coconuts for export and there was no abuse at his centre, disputing an activist report following which Thai products were banned by some British supermarkets.Earlier this month, some British retailers pulled Thai coconut products after a report by People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) alleged that coconuts in Thailand were picked by abused monkeys with Prime Minister Boris Johnson's fiancée
- "I am anticipating this semester with a good bit of dread," one professor said.
- The storm prompted the White House to postpone a campaign rally that President Donald Trump had planned to hold in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, on Saturday night.The event will take place in "a week or two," the White House said on Friday.It made landfall on Friday near Atlantic City, New Jersey, with heavy rainfall and gusty winds, according to an earlier bulletin issued by the NHC.
- The UN Security Council failed to find a consensus on prolonging cross-border humanitarian aid to Syria on Friday after Russia and China vetoed an extension and members rejected a counter proposal by Moscow.Without an agreement, authorization for the transport of aid to war-torn Syria, which has existed since 2014, expired Friday night.
- The Rosenberg police department is asking drivers to avoid the area if possible as investigation begins.
- With the start of the US school year only weeks away, Marina Avalos still has no idea how or where her 7-year-old daughter will attend classes.Like many mothers, Avalos is reluctant to send her child back to school at a time when coronavirus across the country has surged past three million cases, including 130,000 deaths.On Tuesday, California -- where she lives -- set a new daily cases record, with 11,694 infections.
- I came to the U.S. from Burundi after being tortured. But more restrictive immigration policies are making it harder for folks like me to seek safety.
- This court has been billed the most conservative in modern history. But does it vote that way?
- Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle reacted to news that President Donald Trump commuted the sentence of longtime confidant Roger Stone.
- Call of Duty Warzone devs join us to talk about the creation of new modes and content, tease what's in store for the future, and give a little insight on how they handle player toxicity and cheating.
- "The worst is yet to come," Governor Greg Abbott warned.
- US President Donald Trump's planned executive order on immigration will not include amnesty for migrants who are in the United States illegally but arrived in the country as children, a White House spokesman said on Friday. "This does not include amnesty," White House spokesman Judd Deere said in a statement, after Mr Trump said in a television interview his planned order would include a road to citizenship for such immigrants, known as "Dreamers". In the interview with Spanish-language TV netwo
Texas GOP Chair Says Party Could Consider Censure Resolution Against Gov. Abbott At State ConventionTexas GOP Chairman James Dickey said Friday the state party could consider a censure resolution against Gov. Greg Abbott for his response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Nobody howled louder than Texas Lt. Gov Dan Patrick when Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner barred the state GOP from holding its convention there amid a COVID-19 explosion.“This is nothing but a political hack job by Mayor Turner,” Patrick told Laura Ingraham on Fox News.Patrick failed to mention that he and Gov. Greg Abbott and various other GOP elected officials had earlier opted out of actually joining the 6,000 party stalwarts who signed up for the July 16th gathering at the George
‘This Was a Mistake’: Not All of Trump World Is Pleased With the President Commuting Roger Stone’s SentenceRoger Stone, a longtime Trump confidant convicted of lying to Congress about his connection to WikiLeaks and intimidating another witness to do the same, had his sentence commuted by President Trump on Friday—just a few days before he was set to report to jail.President Trump had raised the possibility of clemency almost immediately after Stone, 67, was convicted last November, often complaining—without evidence—that Stone had been treated poorly by law enforcement or targeted
- As the coronavirus crisis hits a new peak, Miami-Dade is preparing to scale back one of its most expensive and ambitious programs to protect residents from the virus and isolation: a $70 million delivery operation that dropped off more than 8 million meals to the homes of elderly residents.
- Gov. Brian Kemp pushed back: "As clearly stated in my executive orders, no local action can be more or less restrictive, and that rule applies statewide."
- The city council will vote on a resolution supporting reparations for the Black community next week.
- Kurt Indovina talks with World of Warcraft Lead Game Designer Morgan Day on what's coming in the latest expansion, Shadowlands.
- The holiday weekend on the lake kept law enforcement busier than any of the previous 10 years.
- “Christians need to speak out on this issue,” said David Curry, CEO of Open Doors USA.
- Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis finds its main character, Gregor Samsa, waking up one morning, suddenly and inexplicably transformed into a giant insect. It's an utterly bizarre premise for a novel that evolves into a tragic story, but as the inspiration for developer Ovid Works' Metamorphosis, Gregor's transformation provides an opportunity to explore a strange idea, the surreal world it spawns, and the peculiar creatures who inhabit it.I went hands-on with the first hour or so of Metamorphosis
- "This does not include amnesty," White House spokesman Judd Deere said in a statement, after Trump said in a television interview his planned order would include a road to citizenship for such immigrants, known as "Dreamers."In the interview with Spanish-language TV network Telemundo, Trump said his executive order would involve Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), the program that protects hundreds of thousands of such immigrants from deportation.
- President Donald Trump commuted the sentence of his longtime friend and adviser Roger Stone on Friday, sparing him from prison after he was convicted of lying under oath to lawmakers investigating Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election.Trump's decision to commute Stone's sentence days before he was due to report to prison marked the Republican president's most assertive intervention to protect an associate in a criminal case and his latest use of executive clemency to benefit an ally.Dem
- A task force set up by presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders releases a broad array of policy recommendations for the party’s convention platform; Peter Doocy reports.
New Flynn Notes: ‘FBI Leadership’ Decided Not to Provide Russian Call Transcripts to Flynn in InterviewNewly released documents in the Michael Flynn case include a January 2017 DOJ draft memo that states “FBI leadership” decided against showing Flynn transcripts of his calls with the Russian ambassador in the White House interview that led to his guilty plea.The DOJ document, dated January 30, 2017, along with a batch of handwritten notes from DOJ and FBI officials describing Flynn’s White House interview with former FBI agent Peter Strzok and FBI agent Joseph Pientka on January
- The protests were held as the Balkan nation announced a record daily death toll from COVID-19.Prime Minister Ana Brnabic said earlier Friday the Balkan state recorded 18 fatalities and 386 new cases over 24 hours in what she described as a "dramatic increase".At the same time, Brnabic condemned as "irresponsible" protests held in Belgrade and other cities on Thursday, after demonstrations in the capital on the previous two days had spilled over into violence.
- State has now reported 296,500 infections and 6,700 deaths, while Newsom said seven-day average topped 8,000 new cases a dayCalifornia has experienced one of its toughest weeks yet in the battle against coronavirus, with the state chalking up its two deadliest days since the start of the pandemic as cases continue to rise.On Wednesday the state topped its previous single day death toll, reporting 149 fatalities. That was followed a day later by the second-deadliest day, when the state tallied 13
- Trump says the former vice president has been 'brainwashed' by the radical left and accuses Biden of trying to impose socialism; reaction on 'The Five.'
- An Amber Alert was issued late Friday morning for 3-year-old Olivia Ann Jansen, who was last seen at her home in the 4400 block of Gibbs Road in Kansas City, Kansas.
- Strict safety measures were put in place during the voting overshadowed by the coronavirus outbreak.
- Gov. Ron DeSantis on Friday defended his decision to reopen the state despite the months-long surge in new cases, suggesting that Florida’s “flatter curve” meant that although the virus had abated, it hung around longer.
- The Lincoln Project, which was created by a group of anti-Trump Republican political operatives last December, believes there is a logic to being a metaphorical fly buzzing around the president’s head.
- Environmentalist Alfredo Sirkis, a founder of Brazil's Green Party and a tireless campaigner for policies to curb climate change, died on Friday in a car crash, television network TV Globo said.Sirkis, 69, was killed when the car he was driving hit a post on a highway outside his hometown Rio de Janeiro, broadcaster TV Globo reported, citing firemen at the crash.A former leftist guerrilla, Sirkis was involved in the kidnapping of foreign diplomats to secure the release of political prisoners dur
- There are so many video game movies in the world. And honestly, a lot of them are bad. Some of them, though, are so bad that they're kind of amazing. This is the case with Street Fighter: The Movie.Make no mistake, this is a bad, sometimes dumb, and often-times cheap-looking film. However, it's also an absurd amount of fun to watch, especially due to some of the performances. Whether it's Raul Julia's General M. Bison or even the movie's version of Zangief, played by Andrew Bryniarski, it's har
- The Monster Hunter movie has been delayed from September 4 to April 23, 2021, according to Deadline. No official reason has been given by Sony, however it is most likely tied to the on-going COVID-19 pandemic.Monster Hunter is directed by Paul W.S. Anderson and stars Milla Jovovich, both known for the Resident Evil film franchise, with the most recent film being Resident Evil: The Final Chapter in 2016. Monster Hunter follows Lt. Artemis (Jovovich) and her team as they are transported to a new w
- Vacationing during a pandemic is an act of pure selfishness. It doesn't just endanger your life. It could spread COVID-19 and prolong the situation.
- The man was ordered deported in June 2010.
Amazon told employees to delete TikTok from their phones — then walked back the policy and said it was an 'error'Amazon said the email was sent to some employees in error and that employees don't have to delete TikTok.
Jared Kushner said the US would be 'really rocking again' by July. 7 states are shutting back down, and new COVID-19 cases have set records 6 times in July's first 10 days.In Kushner's confident Fox & Friends appearance back in April, he also proclaimed the US was "on the other side of the medical aspect" of the virus.
- With restaurant dining restricted to outdoor only, businesses in San Diego County are doing anything they can to keep their doors open — but some have been caught breaking the rules.
- The Chinese Communist Party’s new security law has criminalized any actions it deems to be subversion, secession, terrorism, and collusion with foreign entities in Hong Kong. The law spells an abrupt end to the political freedoms that Hong Kongers used to enjoy. Authorities Friday raided the offices of a research and polling institute associated with the pro-democracy camp just ahead of primaries in which it will choose its candidates for Legislative Council elections, and there’s ce
- This isn't the first time the 23-year-old Brazilian beauty has broken barriers for trans models.
- Earlier in the day, Vucic said efforts by Germany and France to restart talks aimed at mending ties between Belgrade and Pristina were already paying off."If he gives up Kosovo, Vucic is digging a grave for Serbia," said Milan, 22, a protester clad in a black shirt and face mask.In Paris, Vucic accused his political opponents of orchestrating the protests and said that if they continue it would be difficult to contain the coronavirus epidemic.
Follow @GamesUKnews on Twitter!