Red Bull Salzburg stars Enock Mwepu and Patson Daka arrived in Cairo, Egypt to join the Zambia U-23 side for the 2019 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations after missing the opening Group B barren draw against South Africa on Saturday due to club committments. The Bola Na Lesa Boys will be bolstered by the arrival […]
The post U-23 AFCON: Zambia Get Daka, Nwepu Boost Ahead Olympic EaglesClash appeared first on Complete Sports.
- via Complete Sports
- Fire incidents in Lagos, Onitsha and other parts of the states in Nigeria have become weekly occurrence. Vanguard has compiled all reported fire incidence across the nation starting September till today (11th November 2019).
September 11: Fire breaks out at NNPC Ibadan depot
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, announced a minor fire incident involving some fuel trucks at the loading bay of the Ibadan Depot operated by the corporation’s downstream subsidiary, Nigerian Pipelin
- The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) said it would ensure that 60 per cent of the drugs being imported into the country were manufactured locally.
Continue reading 60% of drugs imported to be manufactured locally — NAFDAC at Vanguard News.
- The Igbo Youth Assembly (IYA) Worldwide has felicitated with Alhaji Mamman Daura, Nephew and close confidant of President Muhammadu Buhari, on his 80th birthday.
Continue reading Igbo youths celebrate Mamman Daura at 80, felicitate with Muslims on Eid-el-Maulud at Vanguard News.
- The Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano, has warned health workers participating in the routine immunization campaigns against collecting tips from residents.
Continue reading MSD campaign: Obiano warns immunisation workers against collection of tips at Vanguard News.
- Rivers Hoopers have been drawn with Niger Potters, Civil Defenders and Benue Braves in Group A of the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) President Cup Final 8 which jumps- off today, at the National Stadium, Surulere, Lagos.
The KingsMen will play their opening Group A game against Niger Potters tomorrow at 4pm before playing Benue Braves and Civil Defenders on Wednesday and Thursday respectively.
Hoopers, who are on a five game winning streak in the NBBF President Cup, will hope to grab the o
- via Complete SportsOlympic Eagles head coach Imama Amapakabo is hopeful the arrival of Okechukwu Azubuike and Taiwo Awoniyi will help turn around the fortunes of the team following the 1-0 defeat to Cote d’l voire in their first game at the 2019 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations in Egypt , reports Completesports.com. The Eagles will take on […]
The post Imama Banks On Okechukwu,Awoniyi For Victory Against Zambia appeared first on Complete Sports.
- Prof. Ishaq Akintola, the Director, Muslims Rights Concern (MURIC), on Monday, urged Nigerians to embrace the Federal Government’s empowerment programmes in order to reduce the rate of unemployment in the country.
Continue reading Eid-el-Maulud: MURIC urges youth to embrace FG’s SIP at Vanguard News.
- Nigeria U17 whiz Akinkumni Amoo is attracting interest from across Europe.
Leicester City are set to battle European giants Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Paris Saint Germain for the signature of Amoo.
Arsenal and Manchester City have also watched Amoo’s progress at the U17 World Cup.
Amoo is tied to local club Sidos FC.
The post Leicester, City join Eaglets’ Amoo chase appeared first on The Sun Nigeria.
- President of Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick has hinted that the Super Eagles’ coach, Gernot Rohr would be offered a new deal next summer.
Pinnick said fresh terms will be offered to the German football tactician provided that he accepts a clause be included in his contract to monitor the Nigeria Professional Football League and scout for talents.
‘’Gernot Rohr, his contract is due for renewal in June, we don’t have any issue with him right now,’’ P
- Romanus Ugwu, Abuja
Former Minister of Sports, Bolaji Abdullahi, has said that the restoration of the governing system of the National Sport Commission (NSC) remains the best way of managing sports in Nigeria.
Bolaji, who spoke to SportingSun in Abuja, argued that having an NSC with an elected Director General for a guaranteed, renewable eight or 10 years period of tenure will not only be the best option, but will also turn around the declining fortune of sports in the country.
He further lament
- The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Oyo State has lauded the Court of Appeal sitting in Ibadan, reaffirming its strong belief in the Judiciary as the pillar of hope for the sustenance of democracy.
Continue reading Verdict: Oyo APC lauds Appellate Court, urges calm at Vanguard News.
- The delegation of the Senior Men National Team of Benin Republic, known as Squirrels, will land in Uyo, capital of Akwa Ibom State today, ahead of tomorrow’s 2021 AFCON qualifying duel with the Super Eagles.
Both teams clash at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in the Day One encounter of the qualifying campaign as from 5pm on Wednesday. The two teams were also part of the 2019 AFCON finals in Egypt, with Nigeria winning the bronze medals while Benin Republic famously defeated Morocco while hol
- Bunmi Ogunyale
The duo of Joseph Ayodele Aribo and Samuel Chukwueze will this morning arrive Super Eagles’ camp ahead of tomorrow’s 2021 AFCON qualifier against the Squirrels of Benin in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.
Also expected in camp today are; defenders William Ekong, Ifeanyi Anaemena and Abdullahi Shehu, midfielders Mikel Agu, and forwards Moses Simon, Paul Onuachu and Emmanuel Dennis.
Ayodele-Aribo, who plays for Glasgow Rangers in Scotland, scored in the Eagles’ last two games
- Technical Adviser Gernot Rohr has called up Enyimba FC defence stalwart Ifeanyi Anaemena to the Super Eagles’ camp as the three –time African champions get set to open their 2021 AFCON qualifying campaign against Benin Republic’s Squirrels in Uyo tomorrow.
The defender will also be part of the squad for the Day Two clash with Lesotho in Maseru on Sunday, 17th November.
The People’s Elephant, bulwark, has been drafted in to replace Russia –based World Cup left back B
- Coach Imama Amapakabo has received important boosts for Tuesday’s make-or-break U23 AFCON battle against Zambia with the arrivals in camp of team captain Azubuike Okechukwu and star forward Taiwo Awoniyi.
The absence of the duo was greatly felt in the opening game of Group B that the defending champions lost by the odd goal to Cote d’Ivoire on Saturday, and Amapakabo is confident their arrival will spur his squad to a better performance against the Zambians.
“I am happy we now
- THE Nigerian Gas Association (NGA), is set to hold its 20th Anniversary on November 1, 2019, at the Eko Hotel Convention Centre in Lagos.
Continue reading NGA marks 20 years of impact in natural gas advocacy at Vanguard News.
- LAST April the international charity, Oxfam, revealed that the number of extreme poor in Nigeria had skyrocketed to 94.4 million people, with three million having been added to that unhappy lot in a mere span of six months. As some of my gentle readers would recall, in 2017 Nigeria overtook India for the dubious prize of being the world’s poverty capital. India’s destitute poor number some 70 million out of a total population of 1.36 billion. This amounts to 5.124 percent of India&rs
- THE price of Liquefied Petroleum Gas, LPG, otherwise known as cooking gas, has increased by 27.27 per cent between October and November 2019, because of the forces of demand and supply and foreign exchange issues, which constrained some operators from importing the product.
Continue reading Cooking gas price rises by 27 % in two months at Vanguard News.
- SO, all that Dapo Olorunyomi, journalist, writer, historian, publisher and rights activist, has "done, thought, gained or been” in his 62 years on Planet Earth is lodged "in the pages” of the book running with the title,TESTIMONY TO COURAGE, ESSAYS IN HONOUR OF DAPO OLORUNYOMI.
Continue reading Waiting for Dapo Olorunyomi’s voice at Vanguard News.
- FIVE days to the governorship election in Kogi State, hoodlums suspected to be political thugs, yesterday morning, invaded the state secretariat of the Social Democratic Party, SDP and razed it down.
Continue reading BURNT SECRETARIAT: SDP fingers APC, says it won’t be intimidated at Vanguard News.
- LESS than five days to the governorship election in Bayelsa State, Governor Seriake Dickson, yesterday, boasted the All Progressives Congress, APC, cannot match the People's Democratic Party, PDP, at the poll.
Continue reading APC no match to PDP– Dickson at Vanguard News.
- Omodele Adigun
As an important player in the nation’s financial system, the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) has pledged to work more closely with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to conduct effective supervision of banks with a view to ensuring safety of depositors’ money.
Its Managing Director/Chief Executive, Alhaji Umaru Ibrahim, who stated this at the just-concluded Lagos International Trade Fair (LAIF), was given a pat on the back for making the C
- Heritage Bank has disclosed that Nigeria’s gold market is worth £4 billion Pounds with high prospects of profitability for all players in the subsector.
Its Managing Director/CEO, Ifie Sekibo, who stated this at the Nigeria-Canada Investment Summit, in Abuja, recently also disclosed that the enormous potential of the industry was one of the reasons why Heritage Bank delved into the mining sector despite enormous risks.
According to him, the bank has Dukia Gold as its part
- By Benjamin Njoku
Following the disqualification of Nigeria’s first-ever Oscar entry, Lionheart, last week by The Academy, another country’s entry reportedly has just been disqualified.
The Austrian film, Joy, written and directed by Sudabeh Mortezai, will not compete due to Academy rules. The film chronicles Nigerian sex workers in Vienna, Austria.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Academy found that two-thirds of the dialogue in Joy is in English. Austria’s selection c
- Steve Agbota
In line with its vision to empower female entrepreneurs in Nigeria, Metrowoman Empowerment Foundation has partnered with CreditPRO Business Support Services Ltd, Soar and Heritage to organise the Female Founders Accelerator 2019 event, which will be launched with an SME business conference in Lagos.
The event, which comes up on Saturday, is in commemoration of the global women entrepreneurship day.
A statement by the organisers said the Female Founders Accelerato
- Omodele Adigun
The notion that the increase in Value Added Tax (VAT) may be the elixir that will cure all the nation’s ailments has been punctured by a tax expert, Mr Taiwo Oyedele, PwC Partner on Taxation.
According to him, the receipts from the consumption tax would not take the country anywhere.
“It is a drop in the ocean in terms of the deficit of the Federal Government”, he stated.
At an interface organised by Finance Correspondents Association in Lagos r
- Fred Ezeh, Abuja
National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) said, on Monday, that it destroyed substandard and falsified medical products worth over N3.2 billion between November 2017 to November 2018.
It attributed the success to the assistance it received from the officials of Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) working at different locations across Nigeria.
Director General of NAFDAC, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, who disclosed this at a press conference in Abuja, on Monday, ex
- LEAP Africa and Union Bank have joined hands to organise the 2019 Social Innovators Programme and Awards (SIPA). The event is scheduled to take place at the Shell Hall of the MUSON Centre in Lagos on November 14.
The 2019 SIPA is the 7th edition of the awards ceremony where LEAP Africa, with the support of Union Bank, will unveil emerging Nigerian social innovators and change agents under the age of 35, who are operating in diverse fields across the country, and offer them sponsorship into
- President Muhammadu Buhari, on Monday promised that the tran-Saharan highway projects would continue to receive deserved attention and funding from his administration, not only to bolster economic activities, but to enhance regional and cultural integration in Africa.
Buhari made this known in his remarks at the opening of the 70th session of the Trans-saharan Road Liaison Committee (TRLC) in Abuja, with all the Ministers of Works from all six member states in attendance.
The meeting w
- Oil prices fell more than one per cent on Monday amid concerns over the prospects of a trade deal between the United States and China, while worries about oversupply also weighed on the market.
Brent crude was down 69 cents, or 1.1 per cent, at 61.82 dollars by 0730 GMT. It rose 1.3 per cent last week.
U.S. crude was 63 cents, or 1.1 per cent, lower at 56.61 dollars a barrel, having risen 1.9 per cent last week.
U.S. President, Donald Trump, said on Saturday that trade talks with China were movi
- OIL communities in Ibeno Local Government Area, Akwa Ibom State, have grumbled that oil multinationals operating in their areas refused to provide employment for indigenes to improve their living conditions after polluting their waters and farmlands, jeopardising fishing and farming occupations, the major means of livelihood of the people.
Continue reading Wetin we gain? A’Ibom oil communities ask at Vanguard News.
- Obinna Odogwu, Abakaliki
Gunmen yesterday abducted a mechanic and a driver at Ukwagba Ngbo community in Ohaukwu Council Area of Ebonyi State.
The men were seized when the gunmen failed to get Dr. Peter Okorie, an aide to a former governor of Ebonyi State.
The suspected criminals burnt Okorie’s house and looted some of his property worth millions of naira.
Okorie, former Enugu Archdiocesan Lay President of Methodist Church Nigeria, narrated that a concerned villager who had informati
- Despite its consistent evolution, the Liquefied Petroleum Gas, LPG sector is still haunted by some challenges that deserve the attention of the government and other parties.
Continue reading LPG sector gasps for investment in infrastructure– NLPGA President at Vanguard News.
- THE Federal Government’s Economic and Recovery Growth Plan, ERGP, set for realisation between 2017 and 2020 appears to have been scuttled by a drop in power supply from 4,000 megawatts to 2, 546 mw.
Continue reading Gloom, as power supply lags behind target by 7,454mw at Vanguard News.
- AS the November 16, 2019 D-day for the conduct of the off-cycle governorship elections in Bayelsa and Kogi states becomes a reality in a couple of days, the major source of concern remains the security situation and how the law enforcement agencies will cope.
Continue reading Securing the Bayelsa, Kogi polls at Vanguard News.
- Brewer Anheuser-Busch Inbev NV (ABI.BR) will buy the rest of Craft Brew Alliance (BREW.O) that it does not own in a deal valuing the Portland-based brewing company at about $321 million, the two companies said on Monday.
Shares of Craft Brew Alliance soared 122.6% to $16.32 after the bell, hovering near the offer price of $16.50 in cash.
ALSO READ:Smart assures of hitch free AIO conference
The deal is a reversal in stance by the world’s largest brewer, which owns 31.2% stake in Craft Brew
- THE Nigerian economy is increasingly becoming fragile due to the inability of the country to effectively manage its oil and gas resources and its inability to effectively utilize revenue from the sector for the betterment of its citizens over the years, according to a report, titled, 'Oil and Gas Sector Management and Quality of Life in Nigeria.'
Continue reading Oil Market Lull: Nigerian economy increasingly becoming fragile – Report at Vanguard News.
- Marketers of Liquefied Natural Gas, LPG, otherwise known as cooking gas, have challenged the current imposition of 75 per cent price hike on the product by federal government.
Continue reading Cooking Gas: Marketers protest 75% price hike at Vanguard News.
- Brazil star Willian has called for “proper sanctions” to be imposed upon Dynamo Kiev after former Shakhtar Donetsk team-mate Taison was targeted with racial abuse by opposition supporters in Sunday’s derby encounter.
The Selecao star was shown a straight red card for his actions during the encounter, in which his side emerged as 1-0 victors, following an incident in which he responded to xenophobic chants by brandishing his middle finger and booting the ball into the stand.
- Photos: 🦅 Get In Eagles! #SoarSuperEagles #Team9jaStrong #TotalAfcon2021Q pic.twitter.com/WsPVLUbEPl
— 🇳🇬 Super Eagles (@NGSuperEagles) November 11, 2019Nigeria captain and Al-Nassr winger Ahmed Musa, Everton forward Alex Iwobi and Leicester City midfielder Wilfred Ndidi, as well as nine other players, are in camp.
The three-time African champions will take on the Republic of Benin in their opening Group L 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier at Godswill Akpabio Sta
- A renewable energy firm, Royal Power and Energy Limited has advice the Federal Government to invest more on power sector in order to improve the quality of energy and power consumption in Nigeria.
Continue reading Firm tasks FG on investments in power sector at Vanguard News.