- Physicist Sam Lazerson of the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) has teamed with German scientists to confirm that the Wendelstein 7-X (W7-X) fusion energy device called a stellarator in Greifswald, Germany, produces high-quality magnetic fields that are consistent with their complex design.
- Experiments using laser light and pieces of gray material the size of fingernail clippings may offer clues to a fundamental scientific riddle: what is the relationship between the everyday world of classical physics and the hidden quantum realm that obeys entirely different rules?
- Forty-six countries including the U.S., China and European Union nations failed Sunday to agree on a list of "environmental goods" like solar-powered air conditioners or LED light bulbs that could be targeted for lower tariffs.
- Wall Street Journal
Apple Signals Interest in Self-Driving Software
Wall Street Journal
Apple Inc. confirmed for the first time its interest in autonomous-vehicle technology, but it remains unlikely the company will design or build a complete car. In a Nov. 22 letter to U.S. transportation regulators, Steve Kenner, Apple's director of ...
Apple expresses interest in autonomous vehicle testing in letter to NHTSAAppleInsider (press release) (blog)
Apple just sent the strongest hint yet that it's
- Channel NewsAsia
Virgin Galactic's second SpaceShipTwo performed its first glide flight
Virgin Galactic's spaceplane, SpaceShipTwo, went on its first free flight on Friday, performing an unpowered glide over the Mojave Desert. The vehicle, named VSS Unity, was dropped from its carrier plane, WhiteKnightTwo, and flew for 10 minutes on its ...
Virgin Galactic California test flight successSky News
Virgin Galactic spaceship lands safelyNEWS.com.au
Second SpaceShipTwo performs first glide
- The elusive weasel-like mammal poked its head out of the wooden crate, glanced around and quickly darted into the thick forest of Mount Rainier National Park—returning to a landscape where it had been missing for seven decades.
Microsoft kicks off 12 Days of Deals sale: Good Windows 10, Xbox One, and VR deals
Microsoft's annual 12 Days of Deals promotion is back, so if you missed out on any of the company's Black Friday and Cyber Monday Windows and Xbox deals you still have a chance. Just like in previous years, each day will offer you a different deal that ...
$49 Windows tablets, $1000 PC discounts, and 50% off Xbox games highlight Microsoft dealsPCWorld
New Holiday Promotion: Buy an Xbox One S, Get a Free X
- For the past 25 years, researcher Stephen Jones has tried to understand the threat that bacteria may pose to oysters in New Hampshire's Great Bay estuary. He often couldn't get funding to study the problem. But that is beginning to change as scientists notice "something is going on."
- Industry leaders in China see a chance to capitalize on President-elect Trump's threats to clamp down on immigration and poach top tech talent.
- Tech Times
Study Offers New Insight On How Pluto's Icy Heart Came To Be
New study placed the lobe formation of Pluto as a result of its bizarre temperature and axis tilt, and not due to an impact. The research also correlated this with Pluto's behavior with Charon - its largest moon. ( NASA/JPL ). Advertisement. The ice of ...
Analysis of Pluto's Icy Heart suggests presence of subsurface ocean: ResearchPerfScience
NASA: Could the Subsurface Ocean in Pluto's Icy Heart Have Alien Life?
- Business Insider
8 reasons why Google's Pixel is better than the iPhone
I've been using Google's Pixel XL smartphone for a few weeks, and it's been highlighting the iPhone's glaringly lacking key features. You should note that everything here is subjective. The iPhone has great features that the Pixel doesn't have, and the ...
RIP data: It only ever shows Apple losingMacworld
iPhone 7 Plus vs. Google Pixel XL vs. Huawei Mate 9: ComparisonValueWalk
iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs Sa
- Body-worn cameras offer a potential antidote to police brutality but also raise fears about mass surveillance and questions about how footage is used.
- A small scythe, a crowbar and a bundle of canvas bags are all that Kali and Vedan carry when they venture into the fields of southern India to catch some of the world's deadliest snakes.
- Donald Trump derided the use of data and technology tools for his presidential campaign—but those techniques might well have propelled him to victory.
'MLB The Show 17': 10 Takeaways And Potential Features Revealed In The Debut Trailer
Virtual baseball fans, we got our first look at MLB The Show 17 on Saturday during the official reveal at the PlayStation Experience. image: MLB 17. I've watched the trailer about 20 times, and I think I've identified most of the obvious new features ...
'MLB The Show 17' Trailer: First Look At Game Features New Retro Mode Inspired By Ken Griffey Jr.iDigitalTimes.com
'MLB The Show 17' will let gam
- via Fin24 TechAfrica Teen Geeks is teaching children how to code to prep them for a digital future and to fill the skills gap in the job market, writes Christina Kennedy.
- via Fin24 TechLucinda Coetzee (8) has come up with her own Android app that informs users about road hazards and closures in real time.
- Buzz Aldrin says he was evacuated from the South Pole last week because he became short of breath and began showing signs of altitude sickness
- Domino's Japan has stopped its reindeer training program for pizza delivery, saying it's too difficult to control the unwieldy beasts.
- Apple has revealed it is investing heavily in autonomous vehicles in a letter asking the government to make it easier to develop self-driving cars.
- Virgin Galactic's new spaceship has made a successful first glide flight, a key step after a deadly crash of its predecessor two years ago, the spaceflight company said on Saturday.
Uncharted Standalone DLC Game Revealed at PSX
Update: During a subsequent panel dedicated to the game, Naughty Dog revealed a few more details about The Lost Legacy. It started out as a DLC pack but evolved into what it calls a "story expansion" and a "standalone experience." You can expect it to ...
Naughty Dog announces 'Uncharted: The Lost Legacy' stand-alone DLCDigital Trends
'Uncharted: The Lost Legacy' DLC Will Be Offered As A Stand-Alone GameForbes
Uncharted: The Lost L
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite Is Coming in 2017
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite was revealed today during and will be coming out late next year. Advertisement. Rumors began circulating earlier this week that Capcom would reveal the latest game in its cross-over fighting series at this weekend's ...
Marvel vs. Capcom returns with Marvel vs. Capcom InfinitePolygon
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite Gameplay Trailer RevealedComingSoon.net
Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite's first gameplay trailer shakes
- The heavyweights of world trade, including the United States, China and Japan, meet in Geneva this weekend to establish a list of environmentally friendly products for which tariffs can be eliminated or reduced.
- The oldest known gorilla living in a zoo is doing well after a surgical biopsy ahead of her 60th birthday on Dec. 22.
- PC Magazine
Watch These Echo, Google Home Speakers Get Stuck in Infinite Loop
You can stop fretting over the impending robot rebellion. It turns out that some smart home appliances are not all that smart. YouTube user Adam Jakowenko last month "decided to have some fun" with his Amazon Echo and Google Home speakers. Using the ...
Amazon's VP of Alexa explains what's next for the company's smart personal assistantBusiness Insider
Alexa is about to get a lot smarter thanks to hun
- Business Insider
Apple needs to hire some teens to help with its social media strategy
2016 was the year that Apple joined the rest of the world and embraced social media. Earlier this year, Apple launched an official Twitter account to promote the launch of the iPhone 7. And Apple has also been quietly running an official verified ...
How to squelch iCloud calendar spamUSA TODAY
Ignore that iPhone SpamFortune
There's no iPhone spam filter yet, but here's how to avoid unwanted
- A presidential commission is making 16 urgent recommendations to improve the nation's cybersecurity and appointing a new international ambassador on the subject _ weeks before President-elect Donald Trump takes office
- Industrial pollution may seem like a modern phenomenon, but in fact, an international team of researchers may have discovered what could be the world's first polluted river, contaminated approximately 7,000 years ago.
- Buzz Aldrin had an unexpected bedside visit from NASA Deputy Administrator Dava Newman on Saturday as he continued to recover in a New Zealand hospital from his medical evacuation from the South Pole.
- A presidential commission on Friday made 16 urgent recommendations to improve the nation's cybersecurity, including creating a nutritional-type label to help consumers shop wisely and appointing a new international ambassador on the subject—weeks before President-elect Donald Trump takes office.
- A British-Dutch project aiming to send an unmanned mission to Mars by 2018 announced Friday that the shareholders of a Swiss financial services company have agreed a takeover bid.
- US President Barack Obama on Friday moved to block a Chinese company's purchase of German semiconductor equipment maker Aixtron by rejecting the inclusion of Aixtron's US business in the deal.
- Citing a national security risk, President Barack Obama on Friday blocked a Chinese investor's proposed takeover of Aixtron SE, a German maker of semiconductor manufacturing equipment, a rare move that drew objections from Beijing and complaints that the U.S. was injecting politics into the deal.
- Government regulators are calling out AT&T and Verizon for exempting their own video apps from data caps on customers' cellphones
- Hackers stole more than 2 billion rubles from accounts at the Russian central bank, the bank said on Friday.
- Thomas Edison's door key to the 19th century lab in New Jersey where he invented the phonograph goes up for auction this weekend, along with lightbulbs he perfected.
- New research from the Max Planck Institute shows that mice can sense oxygen levels in the environment using specialized neurons in their noses that are present in the olfactory mucosa. The genome of mice harbors more than 1000 odorant receptor genes, which enable them to smell myriad odors in their surroundings. Researchers at the Max […]
The post Mice Can Sense Oxygen Levels in the Environment Using Specialized Neurons appeared first on SciTech Daily.
- Coastal Indigenous people eat on average 15 times more seafood per person than non-Indigenous people in the same country, according to new research from the University of British Columbia. The findings highlight the need to consider food sovereignty and cultural identity as part of fisheries policy and Indigenous human rights.
- In nanotechnology control is key. Control over the arrangements and distances between nanoparticles can allow tailored interaction strengths so that properties can be harnessed in devices such as plasmonic sensors. Now researchers at Tokyo Institute of Technology use dendrimers that mimic the electron valency of atoms and link them into arrays using molecules that coordinate with the dendrimer as they would form a covalent electron pair in their valence shell - "electron pair mimicry".
- The "reproducibility crisis" in biomedical research has led to questions about the scientific rigor in animal research, and thus the ethical justification of animal experiments. In research publishing in the Open Access journals PLOS Biology and PLOS ONE on December 2nd, 2016, researchers from the University of Bern have assessed scientific rigor in animal experimentation in Switzerland. The study, commissioned by the Swiss Federal Food Safety and Veterinary Office (FSVO), found widespread defic
- The BMW Vision Motorrad Next 100 is motorcycle concept which makes use of an AR visor. The visor scans the field of view for threats giving the driver greater ability to drive safely.
- 1st US offshore wind farm to begin producing power off Rhode Island coast
- There has been a hiccup at the nation's first offshore wind farm as it prepares to start delivering power.
- What are the characteristics of the way you say, "hello," (or anything else for that matter) that makes you recognizable over the phone? Despite the increasing amount of literature on personal voice quality, very little is actually known about how to characterize the sound of an individual speaker.
- Data from NASA’s Aeronomy of Ice in the Mesosphere spacecraft shows the sky over Antarctica is glowing electric blue due to the start of noctilucent, or night-shining, cloud season in the Southern Hemisphere – and an early one at that. Noctilucent clouds are Earth’s highest clouds, sandwiched between Earth and space 50 miles above the […]
The post AIM Spacecraft Observes Early Noctilucent Ice Clouds Over Antarctica appeared first on SciTech Daily.
- A team of astronomers from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics have concluded that the hot gas in the cluster around galaxy 3C438 is the result of a collision between two clusters of galaxies. Galaxy clusters contain a few to thousands of galaxies and are the largest bound structures in the Universe. Most galaxies are members […]
The post Astronomers Reveal Colliding Galaxy Clusters appeared first on SciTech Daily.
- U.S. regulators are calling out AT&T and Verizon for exempting their own video apps from data caps on customers' cellphones.
- An official from Venezuela’s science academy reports a concerning trend.
- Award-winning teen environmental activist Kehkashan Basu said Friday ecologists should "not lose hope" in their battle to fight climate change, despite scepticism from world leaders including US President-elect Donald Trump.
Follow @NewslockSciTech on Twitter!