Researchers from UCLA have developed a terahertz modulator that performs across a wide range of the terahertz band with very high efficiency and signal clarity, which could eventually lead to more advanced medical and security imaging systems. A UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science research team has developed a breakthrough broadband modulator […]
The post New Terahertz Modulator Could Lead to More Advanced Medical and Security Imaging appeared first on SciTe
- The Guardian
'Leap second': how are you planning to spend it?
Each moment of human existence is precious, and we'll all be getting an extra one at midnight on Tuesday (BST). The “leap second” is to allow extremely precise devices to keep in sync with the Earth's rotation, which is gradually slowing. The extra ...
Leap second keeps atomic clocks in sync with speed of the planet's rotationABC Online
Leap second on June 30 is no Y2K bug, says expertCBC.ca
- The Register
Google harms consumers and strangles the open web, study says
A study into search engine users' behaviour claims that Google's favourable treatment of its own services results in consumer harm, and will make the web less diverse. Heavyweight law prof Tim Wu, who coined the phrase “net neutrality”, is one of the ...
Yelp accuses Google of fabricating search resultsIndia Today
Google degrades search results to prefer its ownSlashGear
Google Inc Manipulates Se
- Times of India
Why Cities Will Be Vital Players at Paris Climate Talks
Over the next few days, leaders from cities, local governments and other organizations around the world will gather in Lyon, France. It is an important step toward COP21, the UN conference on climate change that will happen in Paris in December. The ...
Climate change plans require urgent action, government warnedBBC News
Why your patio is making the heatwave even hotterTelegraph.co.uk
Regulating for climate
Amazon to launch AWS data center infrastructure for India in 2016
Got email marketing? We've got best practices from LivingSocial and estate sale guru Everything But The House in our next Insight webinar. Amazon has revealed that it's expanding its public data center infrastructure to India to satisfy a growing ...
Amazon Web Services to set up data centres in India next yearEconomic Times
Amazon Will Expand Its AWS Cloud Services To India In 2016TechCrunch
- Business Insider
EU to End Cellphone Roaming Charges in 2017
New York Times
LONDON — European officials agreed on Tuesday to outlaw cellphone roaming charges, beginning in 2017, when people travel across the 28-member bloc. The change is part of long-awaited overhauls aimed at improving how Europeans connect to and ...
EU clinches deal to end mobile roaming chargesWashington Post
Roaming charges to fall sharply after EU strikes dealIrish Times
EU agrees to end roaming charges, announces
Uber buys Microsoft's mapping tech to lessen reliance on Google Maps
Uber ride request CONTROVERSIAL CAB BOOKING FIRM Uber has acquired mapping assets from Microsoft Bing as the firm looks to lessen its reliance on Google Maps. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella warned last week in a letter to employees that the firm ...
Uber acquires Microsoft's Bing mapping technology, diplay ad business goes to ...Firstpost
Microsoft to offload online display ads biz to ... hang on, A
SpaceX blast snarls launch schedule as weather satellite delayed
An unmanned SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes after liftoff from Cape Canaveral, Florida, 28 June 2015. Photo: Reuters. Dallas: SpaceX's loss of a Falcon 9 rocket in a midair fireball spurred the postponement of the company's next mission, lofting a ...
California schools lose experiments in SpaceX rocket failureSan Francisco Chronicle (subscription)
US Should Spurn Russia's Rocket Engines Despite Space
- The Indian Express
Samsung claims to sell 1 million units of Tizen-powered Z1 smartphone
The Indian Express
Samsung India claims it has sold over 1 million Tizen-powered Samsung Z1 smartphones since the launch in January 2015. In a press statement, Asim Warsi, Vice-President-Marketing, Mobile and IT, Samsung India, said, “Samsung Z1 features an easy to ...
Samsung plans to launch more Tizen phones this yearTimes of India
Samsung Electronics plans more Tizen smartphones this yearFinancial
Prehistoric worm with super armor found in China
Scientists have found the fossil of an ancient worm called Hairy Collins' Monster, one of the first creatures to grow rows of spiky armor on its back. It's the King Koopa of lobopodians. by Danny Gallagher · @thisisdannyg; June 29, 2015 10:26 PM PDT.
Super-Armored Ancient Spiky Worm Unearthed in ChinaI4U News
Spiky little sea 'monster' thrived a half billion years agoReuters
Collin's Monster-A Worm With 72 Spi
- Windows 10 preview build comes with Microsoft Edge and WiFi
Microsoft's giving you the chance to try out its Edge browser before Windows 10 drops on July 29th, along with other new features that will come with the platform. You'll have to download Windows 10's latest preview build for PCs to take it for a spin ...and more »
- PayPal's controversial new policy would have automatically "opted in" its users to receive robocalls and text messages from the company.
- The American Federation of Government Employees has filed a lawsuit against the Office of Personnel management and its leaders.
- The Electronic Questionnaires for Investigations Processing system will be offline for four to six weeks.
- via Space NewsCause of SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket Failure Unknown; Launch Explosion Photos
- via Space NewsVenus and Jupiter Meet At Last
- A newly published study has shown with high precision that even stars older than 11 billion years have Earth-like planets. A new study of 33 Kepler stars with solar-like oscillations to be published in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. According to lead author of the article Víctor Silva Aguirre from the Stellar Astrophysics […]
The post 11 Billion Year Old Stars Have Earth-like Planets appeared first on SciTech Daily.
- By using a battery design that is a hybrid between flow batteries and conventional solid ones, engineers have developed a new manufacturing approach that slices lithium-ion battery cost in half. An advanced manufacturing approach for lithium-ion batteries, developed by researchers at MIT and at a spinoff company called 24M, promises to significantly slash the cost […]
The post New Battery Design Cuts Lithium-Ion Battery Cost in Half appeared first on SciTech Daily.
- Solar Impulse 2 pilot begins the most dangerous leg of an attempt to fly a solar powered plane around the world for the first time.
- Are doctors running the bill up on you? A new study from Yale University shows that a key factor to increased healthcare costs is overuse of medical services. As the cost of health care in the United States continues to rise, a new study by Yale researchers offers insight into a key factor influencing increased […]
The post Overuse of Medical Services Increases Healthcare Costs appeared first on SciTech Daily.
- The precise regulation of cerebral blood flow is critical for normal brain function, and its disruption underlies many neuropathologies. Using optical imaging, researchers from Yale University found that capillary pericytes in mice and humans do not express smooth muscle actin and are morphologically and functionally distinct from adjacent precapillary smooth muscle cells (SMCs). An investigation […]
The post Study Shows Muscle Contraction May Contribute to Stroke Damage appeared first on
- The Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy will attempt to view the dwarf planet Pluto as it passes in front of a distant star. The Stratosphere Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA) is a modified Boeing 747SP aircraft that makes celestial observations with its German-built 100-inch telescope. The telescope is enhanced to collect infrared radiation, and is […]
The post SOFIA Telescope Preparing for Pluto’s Occultation appeared first on SciTech Daily.
- In this image NASA’s Cassini Spacecraft reveals the spiral structures in Saturn’s D ring. Although the D ring of Saturn is so thin that it’s barely noticeable compared to the rest of the ring system, it still displays structures seen in other Saturnian rings. Here the spiral structures in the D ring are on display. […]
The post Cassini Reveals the Spirals in Saturn’s D Ring appeared first on SciTech Daily.
- This Hubble image of the week shows a galaxy named SBS 1415+437 or SDSS CGB 12067.1, which is located roughly 45 million light-years from Earth. SBS 1415+437 is a Wolf–Rayet galaxy, a type of starbursting galaxy with an unusually high number of extremely hot and massive stars known as Wolf–Rayet stars. These stars can be […]
The post Hubble Views Starbursting Galaxy SBS 1415+437 appeared first on SciTech Daily.
- Google will add audio and visual alerts to warn drivers about upcoming railroad crossings on Google's navigation system.
- A solar-powered plane took off from Japan to attempt a five-day flight over open water to Hawaii, the eighth leg of its bid to fly around the world.
- Solar Impulse 2 left Japan's Nagoya airport early Monday for a five-day flight to Hawaii without using a drop of fuel.
- A professor at Harvard Medical School writes of a need to “create new visions” to help women succeed.
- Rocket science lesson for high school student turns out to be more about determination, loss
- SpaceX rocket breaks apart on way to space station; third resupply mission failure in 8 months
Follow @NewslockSciTech on Twitter!