Beck says he was planning to sample Labi Siffre’s ‘I Got The…’ before Eminem beat him to it.
Marshall Mathers famously used the track in his massive 1999 hit ‘My Name Is…’, but wasn’t the first to think about sampling the 1975 song.READ MORE: The Big Read – Beck: “Was the ’90s a golden time for rock music? It was more like tarnished brass”Speaking to Matt Wilkinson on Apple Music to mark 25 years of his fifth album ‘
- Madonna has joined a growing chorus of celebrities speaking out against DaBaby’s homophobic comments made onstage Sunday at Rolling Loud Miami.
On Thursday (July 29), the pop star posted a video of DaBaby’s remarks — where he asked fans to put their cellphone lighters up “if you didn’t show up today with HIV, AIDS, or any of them deadly sexually transmitted diseases that’ll make you die in two to three weeks,” “ladies, if your p—y smell like
- The Guccis have arrived in style in MGM’s first trailer for the upcoming film House of Gucci.
The true-crime drama centers on the murder of fashion trailblazer Maurizio Gucci (Adam Driver), orchestrated by his wife at the time, Patrizia Reggiani (Lady Gaga).
“It was a name that sounded so sweet, so seductive, synonymous with worth, style, power, but that name was a curse, too,” Gaga’s Reggiani says in a voiceover opening the trailer that gives a glimpse into the lives of
- Reservoir Media shares slipped 4.9% on Thursday (July 29), the publishing music rights company’s first day of trading on the Nasdaq stock exchange, opening at $9.49 and closing at $9.03.
Reservoir’s public listing follows a merger with Roth CH Acquisition II Co, a special purpose acquisition company that raised $115 million in an initial public offering and a private placement in December 2020. The companies’ combination was approved by the SPAC’s shareholders on Tuesday
- Brandi Carlile is making her return to live music. Carlile has rescheduled her Echoes Through the Canyon concert at the legendary Gorge Amphitheatre in Washington with special guests Sheryl Crow and Amythyst Kiah.
The special event will also be simultaneously livestreamed via Veeps on Aug. 14. The Echoes Through the Canyon show will mark the first streamed amphitheater show since Veeps began equipping venues across the country with turnkey livestreami
- Record Store Day 2021’s second drop (on July 17) fueled 1.140 million in vinyl album sales in the U.S. in the week ending July 22, according to MRC Data (up 74.5% compared to the previous week: 653,000). It’s the eighth time vinyl album sales have exceeded 1 million copies in a single week since MRC Data began electronically tracking sales in 1991, and all of the million-selling weeks have happened since 2019.
The disco-tastic Hail Satin by Dee Gees, aka Foo Fighters, was the top-sel
- VNUE, a small technology company traded on the OTC markets, is acquiring livestreaming platform StageIt, it was announced Thursday (July 29).
Terms of the deal were not disclosed, and it’s not clear how VNUE is going to finance the acquisition. A recent prospectus filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission shows that VNUE only had $57,000 on its balance sheet at the end of March, but it also noted CEO Zach Bair has lined up a number of purchase agreements worth as much as
- Music-technology company VNUE is officially set to acquire Hollywood-based monetized-livestream platform StageIt. VNUE (OTC: VNUE) higher-ups announced the StageIt acquisition today, via a formal release that was shared with Digital Music News. New York City-headquartered VNUE, which is “dedicated to further monetizing the live music experience for artists, labels,” and others, expects the deal to […]
The post Music-Technology Company VNUE Announces Plans to Acquire Livestream
- T.I. is speaking out again following DaBaby’s hurtful comments at Rolling Loud Miami over the weekend.
“Everyone [is] up in arms and upset about what DaBaby said,” T.I. said in an Instagram Live video that was later posted to YouTube. “I understand people saying that they feel that it’s insensitive. I think you guys have to understand that onstage, that’s not the place that rappers go to be sensitive and soothe everybody’s feelings. It&rsq
- Rapper Boosie Badazz has jumped to the defense of DaBaby after his homophobic rant. DaBaby went on a rant on the Rolling Loud stage about AIDS and HIV, which prompted a backlash. Rapper T.I was quick to come to DaBaby’s defense, but now Boosie Badazz is weighing in on the controversy. Boosie hit up Instagram […]
The post Boosie Badazz Defends DaBaby’s Homophobia – Lil Nas X Claps Back appeared first on Digital Music News.
- ILLENIUM ignites atop Billboard’s Top Dance/Electronic Albums chart (dated July 31) with Fallen Embers. The set earned 14,000 equivalent album units in its first week, according to MRC Data.
The release is ILLENIUM’s second No. 1, after Ascend spent eight frames on top in 2019. It’s also only the second set to debut at the summit this year, following Porter Robinson’s Nurture in May.
ILLENIUM additionally impacts the multimetric Hot Dance/Electronic Songs chart with eight
- TikTok is expanding its livestreaming platform with several new features to rival Facebook, Twitch, and YouTube. Currently, users can live stream to fans while responding to viewer comments and questions. That’s a format that’s familiar but pretty generic. The TikTok LIVE experience will include the ability to go live with others, host Q&A sessions, use […]
The post TikTok Expands Livestreaming Platform with Events, Q&As, & More appeared first on Digital Music News
Halsey Announces Cities & Dates for ‘If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power’ IMAX Film Along With Godly New TrailerHalsey is offering up another look at their upcoming If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power IMAX film in a new trailer — as well as another listen to her album of the same name.
The second trailer, which premiered Thursday (July 29), is called the “woman/god trailer,” and it’s soundtracked by a song with the powerful lyrics: “I am not a woman, I’m a god/ I am not a model, I’m a problem/ I am not a legend, I’m a fraud.”
Halsey wrote the film
- If you purchase an independently reviewed product or service through a link on our website, we may receive an affiliate commission.
You’ll believe God is a woman — when you smell Ariana Grande’s new perfume.
The star’s fragrance inspired by her Sweetener hit “God Is a Woman” dropped online at Ulta on Thursday (July 28), before it hits stores on August 1. The lavender-colored bottle with a grey ceramic-style base comes in 1.7 oz for $55 and 3.4 oz for
- Drake, LeBron James and Maverick Carter are set to executive produce Black Ice, a feature documentary about the game of hockey’s racial reckoning.
The film from Uninterrupted Canada and The SpringHill Company, which was founded by James and business partner Carter, is about Black hockey players facing systemic racism in the sport and will be directed by Oscar nominee Hubert Davis. Black Ice will spotlight the historical marginalization of Black hockey players from the early pioneers of the
- Silvestre Dangond has launched a new label, Music Dreams Records, to help propel the careers of rising and veteran vallenato artists in his native Colombia, Billboard has learned.
The 41-year-old vallenato star has already signed six artists to the label, including Mario Fuscaldo, Beto Urieles, LuisRa Solano, Rafa Roncallo, Fred Quintero and Roland Valbuena. Dangond will also manage and produce some of his newly signed artists.
“When soccer players retire, they prepare to become coaches fo
- A Spanish judge investigating alleged tax fraud by Colombian musician Shakira recommended on Thursday (July 29) that the case go to trial after concluding there is evidence that the pop star could have avoided her fiscal obligations to the state.
Judge Marco Juberías wrote that his three-year probe found there existed “sufficient evidence of criminality” for the case to go to a trial judge.
The decision can be appealed.Prosecutors charged the singer in December 2019 with not p
Manic Street Preachers’ Nicky Wire reveals letter Pete Doherty wrote after Richey Edwards disappearancevia music-news.comIconic Welsh rocker, Nicky Wire, from the Manic Street Preachers revealed the sweeter side of Libertines singer Pete Docherty
- via music-news.comIn a BBC Sounds exclusive episode of The YUNGBLUD Podcast, POP-ROCK artist Willow Smith joins and reveals how she’s
- Two days after the U.S. government sold the sole copy of their album Once Upon a Time in Shaolin for rumored millions, Wu-Tang Clan members Ghostface Killah and Raekwon were announced as headliners of a free hip-hop concert in New York City, alongside a slew of other local hip-hop legends.
Organized by Mayor Bill de Blasio and Universal Hip Hop Museum executive director and president Rocky Bucano, “It’s Time for Hip Hop in NYC” will include four concerts taking place
- The Twang have announced that they’ll be hitting the road in December for their ‘Twangmas’ tour.
The Birmingham band’s festive run will kick off in Stoke on December 3 and end with two shows at London’s O2 Academy Islington on December 22 and 23.
‘Twangmas’ will also include stops in Derby, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Sheffield, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham, Leeds, Newcastle, and Birmingham.
“The Twangmas experience is usually exclusively a Brum thing
- Wisin, Yandel, Cosculluela and Zion have teamed up on the new single “Ya Paso,” premiering exclusively on Billboard below.
Helmed by Puerto Rican producer Revol under his label Update Music and distributed by GLAD Empire, the song’s infectious beat goes beyond just a summer anthem, showing some of reggaeton’s renowned pioneers in a new light.
Wisin, Yandel, Zion and Cosculluela, who last released a solo track about five months ago, join forces on an uptempo song
- Heatwaves in the US are causing vinyl shipments to warp in transit, and a number of indie labels have since addressed the issue.READ MORE: The ultimate guide to maintaining and caring for your vinyl record collectionAccording to Pitchfork, heatwaves have become a big problem in America over the past few weeks, with the extreme weather causing damage to vinyl record shipments.
Ba Da Bing Records is one of several indie label which has revealed a number of its customers have received warped p
- via rollingstone.comThings take a bloody turn for Skepta and J Balvin in the KLVD-directed video.
- Between the Richness, the second album from post-hardcore quintet Fiddlehead, is an emotionally pummeling meditation on grief, nostalgia and the passage of time defined by leader Pat Flynn’s ragged wail. Flynn focused the 25-minute follow-up to 2018’s Springtime and Blind on his complicated feelings regarding the 10th anniversary of his father’s death and the birth of his son, both of which happened last year.
The result is a lean, absorbing record that, upon its release on Run
- via rollingstone.comRapper's non-apology for his comments at Rolling Loud point to a schism within rap culture
- In late March, reports revealed that Reservoir Media would arrive on the stock market following a merger with Roth CH Acquisition II, a blank-check acquisition company operated by Roth Capital and Minneapolis-based Craig-Hallum Capital Group. Now, the transaction has officially closed, and the New York City-based music publisher’s shares are trading on NASDAQ. Reservoir Media […]
The post Reservoir Debuts on NASDAQ Following Acquisition-Company Merger appeared first on Digital Music
- After DaBaby went on a homophobic rant during his Rolling Loud set, Sir Elton John speaks out. The notably gay icon took to Twitter to express his disappointment about the discourse. “We’ve been shocked to read about the HIV misinformation and homophobic statements made at a recent DaBaby show,” the statement begins. “This fuels stigma […]
The post DaBaby’s Homophobic Rant Prompts a Response from Elton John appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Myke Towers is officially hitting the road, announcing Thursday (July 29) his 2021 El Young King world tour.
Marking his first-ever tour, the Puerto Rican rapper and lyricist will hit the road Aug. 1 in Orlando, Fla., and wrap up Dec. 18 in Miami. With more than 35 dates confirmed, Towers will also make pit stops in other U.S. cities, as well as Mexico, Colombia, Spain and Switzerland. More dates will be announced soon.
“I am more than excited to finally get this tour going,” Towers
- Fifteen minutes into her Hot Ones debut, Lorde was not fazed by all of the super spicy chicken wings she had already eaten.
That all changed after a few bites of a sauce with a Scoville hotness rating of 135,600, which was so spicy, the New Zealand pop star struggled to keep talking about her orca-watching helicopter expedition in Antarctica. “Ugh, it is hot,” she grimaced. “I’m doing good, it’s — I feel it.”
The 24-year-old singer’s latest stop on
Follow @Music_News_US on Twitter!