The Star Wars universe is launching a new project to kick off the next phase this summer, in the shape of The High Republic – a new series of books and comics.
The stories are set approximately 200 years before The Phantom Menace, the first film in the prequel trilogy.
Read more: Star Wars movie order: a definitive viewing chronology for the galaxy far, far away
“It’s a golden time,” said Michael Siglain, Creative Director at Lucasfilm. “A time of peace and pro
- Amazon Prime Video has teamed up with SXSW to launch a new online film festival.
The two are joining forces to launch ‘Prime Video presents the SXSW 2020 Film Festival Collection’ after the SXSW conference and festival was cancelled last month due to the ongoing coronavirus crisis.
Read more: Coronavirus – every cancelled gig, festival and tour – and how to get your ticket refund
The event offers filmmakers who were part of the 2020 SXSW Film Festival line-up an
- Adam Sandler has debuted a new quarantine song on The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon – you can listen to it below.Read More: Uncut Gems review: Adam Sandler sparkles in anxiety-inducing thriller that may give you a heart-attackThe comedian and actor joined Jimmy Fallon via a live stream from his home as he appeared on the show, which has temporarily been rebranded as The Tonight (At Home) Show With Jimmy Fallon as coronavirus quarantines continue throughout the US.
- Jake Kasdan, director of Sony’s Jumanji reboot series, has spoken about who might be in the cast for the next instalment in the franchise.
Kasdan, who helmed 2017’s Welcome To The Jungle and 2019’s The Next Level, told NME that the films’ main cast – Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, Karen Gillan and Kevin Hart, who play avatars in a real-world video game – is “the glue” of the franchise. Later, he strongly hinted that fans would see the four return for
- The American Film Institute (AFI) has launched a new movie club aimed at boosting people’s spirits amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Read more: All the films and TV shows suspended due to coronavirus
Director Steven Spielberg, who is an AFI trustee, introduced the new initiative on video via the institute’s official Twitter page on Tuesday (March 31), saying that anyone who loves movies can join in and get access.
The first movie to kick things off was The Wizard Of Oz’, the 1939
- Eminem and Snoop Dogg are among the high-profile names who star in the new trailer for the upcoming Netflix documentary LA Originals — check out the clip below.
Directed by Estevan Oriol and set for release on the streaming service on April 10, LA Originals is billed as “an exploration of the culture and landmarks of the chicano and street art movement that cemented [tattoo artist] Mister Cartoon and [photographer] Oriol’s status as behind-the-scenes hip hop legends”
- Lea Seydoux has said James Bond is “totally a sexual object” and “maybe one of the only male characters to be sexualised”.
The French actress, who reprises her role as Dr Madeleine Swann opposite Daniel Craig in No Time To Die, said 007 has always been “sexualised” for female viewers.
Read more: 50 Things You Didn’t Know About James Bond
“I think what we forget is that James Bond is also a sexual object,” she told Harper’s Bazaar for it
- Colin Trevorrow has shared the first look at Jurassic World: Dominion, the final movie in the Jurassic World trilogy.
The Dominion director posted an image of his screen at home, which shows a frame from the forthcoming movie that stars Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Sam Neill, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum.
Taking to his Instagram yesterday (April 1) Trevorrow wrote the caption “working from home” beneath his home set-up.View this post on InstagramWorking from home.#JurassicWorld
- Quentin Tarantino has teased he might be writing a novel for his latest movie Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.
The director has released his film’s screenplays in book form in the past and may well turn last year’s ’60s-set caper starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt into a novel.
Read more: Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood film review – Tarantino’s most satisfying work in decades
Speaking on the latest Pure Cinema podcast episode (April 1), Tarantino sa
- Samuel L. Jackson has told the world to “stay the fuck at home” during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
The actor read a new poem written by the brains behind Go The F**k To Sleep, a children’s book for adults that he famously read on YouTube in 2016.
Read more: All the films and TV shows suspended due to coronavirus
Now, Jackson has reprised his narrative role by reading Stay The F**k At Home on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Adam Mansbach, who wrote the original book with Ricardo Cort&e
- The first trailer for Train To Busan Presents: Peninsula has landed.
South Korean director Yeon Sang-ho’s sequel to 2016’s Train To Busan looks to amp up the horror, with zombie apocalypse survivors living in a world scarce of safety, food and rules and being pushed to the limits of their endurance.The official synopsis reads [via Bloody Disgusting]: “Four years after South Korea’s total decimation in Train to Busan, Jung-seok (Gang Dong-won), a soldier who previousl
- Pack away those old VHS tapes. Cult classic 80s BMX movie RAD is finally coming on 4K Ultra HD blu-ray this year.
- Accused double-murderer O.J. Simpson says there's 'not a shred of doubt' in his mind Tiger King star Carole Baskin killed her husband.
- A rumored version of Tom Hooper's Cats allegedly featured a bit more of the human-feline hybrids than anybody wanted to see.
- Edward Chiodo thinks now would be a good time to revive the Killer Klowns From Outer Space franchise.
- Michael Caine absolutely loved being able to play a role in Batman Begins under the direction of Christopher Nolan.
- AMC Theatres CEO Adam Aron is optimistic about the chain being able to reopen sometime this summer.
- An official Robin Williams channel has been launched on YouTube, featuring classic clips from the late star’s stand-up routines.
Set up by Williams’ estate, the channel aims to “celebrate the life and comic genius” of the actor and comedian. “Be prepared to laugh and cry at these unforgettable and hilarious performances,” a description reads.
Read More: Robin Williams – five of his most unforgettable music momentsAt the time of writing, the site contains
- David F. Sandberg reveals that he's currently working on the Shazam 2 script and how the shutdown might affect the sequel.
- The first clip from the animated movie puts the spotlight on one of the franchise's biggest stars, Johnny Cage.
- Duel of the Fates, the original version of Star Wars 9 by Colin Trevorrow, has been brought to life in animated form.
- Cult-favorite horror movie Slither hit theaters 14 years ago and was James Gunn's directorial debut.
- Onward wasn't always going to be the quest of two brothers to reconnect with their dead father.
- Uncork'd Entertainment has revealed a new trailer for a new horror anthology, Evil Little Things.
- A new survey suggests many people won't be going to movie theaters as they used to for several reasons.
- DC fans have been begging for Warner Bros. to release the Snyder Cut of Justice League for over two years now.
- There was a lot of stuff that J.J. Abrams wanted to include in The Rise of Skywalker, and Rey using a classic Sith power was one of them.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt shared a photo from the set of 10 Things I Hate About You on Twitter to celebrate the film’s 21st anniversary yesterday (March 31).
The actor played high school student Cameron James in the cult ’90s comedy, the main character who falls in love with Bianca Stratford (Larisa Oleynik).Read more: Disney+: seven classic shows ’90s kids should stream immediately“Today, March 31st, is the anniversary of ’10 Things I Hate About You,'” G
- In honor of the original movie's 21st birthday, Netflix has brought The Matrix trilogy to its subscribers.
- The final batch of Studio Ghibli films has arrived on Netflix worldwide today (April 1).
The Japanese animation powerhouse has given Netflix permission to host 21 titles from their back catalogue, slowly coming onto the streaming platform in monthly instalments since February.Read more: Every Studio Ghibli film ranked in order of greatnessThe films being released today are:
Howl’s Moving Castle (2004)
The Wind Rises (2013)
Pom Poko (1994)
Whisper of the Heart (1995)
Follow @NewslockMovies on Twitter!