- Look after your brain too (Picture: Ella Byworth for Metro.co.uk)It’s not just your body you need to train to keep in peak physical condition. Your brain is a muscle, too, and it needs constant stimulation to keep you living your best life.The theory ‘use it or lose it’ isn’t far from the truth when it comes to maintaining optimal brain health – and while it’s thought we should be doing specific brain training, Dr Amir-Homayoun Javadi, a senior lecturer in cog
- Around one in 500 people had coronavirus in England last week (Picture: Reuters / PA)The estimated number of coronavirus cases across England has jumped 60% in just one week.According to the Office for National Statistics (ONS) infection survey, there were around 9,600 new coronavirus infections per day in England – up on 6,000 the week before.The survey, which tests thousands of people whether they have symptoms or not, found an estimated 103,600 people in England had Covid-19 from Septem
Sixty Seconds: Gregory Porter on losing his brother to Covid, waking up the Queen and a love of hatsGregory Porter lost his brother to coronavirus in May.Singer Gregory Porter has opened up on losing his brother to Covid, after his sibling, Lloyd, died in May.Lloyd was only a year older than 48-year-old Gregory, with the Revival singer saying his death was ‘devastating’.Here he also speaks about waking up the Queen, his love of hats and how his mother saw the future.What has lockdown been like?I lost my brother, Lloyd, to Covid [on May 6], which was devastating. He was a year older
- Rashford, 22, last night shared a letter he received from Jack Lees, seven, who had written to the footballer to thank him for 'everything you do'.
- Earlier in the week MailOnline revealed Ms Symonds, 32, to be relaxing in the exclusive resort of Lake Como with three girlfriends at the £600-a-night Grand Hotel Tremezzo.
- Two victims are fighting for their lives after the brutal attack which was carried out in broad daylight on Friday. Police have arrested two men after they were spotted with blood on their clothes.
- Madi Rapa, from Ocean Grove in Victoria, has been battling Lyme disease, a tick-borne infection, since she travelled to the US in 2014.
- Anthony Jefferson of New York Citybravely protected his children from gun fire at a car dealership on Monday, but has since lost both his jobs because he can't walk after being shot in the thigh
- Nosy council inspectors have been peering through letterboxes and windows in an effort to track down pubs and clubs holding lock-ins past the coronavirus curfew
- Jose DeJesus Berrelleza, 33, died Tuesday after trying to stop thieves from stealing his work van from his driveway but falling and being run over as it sped away.
- A total of £69.4 million of taxpayer funds was spent by the monarchy on official duties such as travel, as well as other costs including staff, hospitality and property maintenance, key figures from the Royal Accounts show
- Here are the nine countries Brits can still travel to without restrictions (Picture: Rex)As coronavirus infection rates continue to soar across Europe, the number of holiday destinations people can travel to without quarantining or taking tests has dwindled to nine destinations.
On Thursday, Denmark, Slovakia, Iceland and the Caribbean island of Curacao were removed from the Government’s list of travel corridors due to significant rises in cases.This means travellers arriving in the UK fro
- Donald Trump faces an uphill battle to secure a second term in the White House - but even if he does accept the result, he wouldn't be the first President to lose their second election
- King's College London scientists behind the COVID Symptom Tracker mobile app estimate that there were at least 16,310 daily cases of the disease in the last week. The ONS thinks the figure is 9,600.
- Precious, Abigael and Alice all won awards (Pictures: Black Impact)The story of a Black student is one of survival.
Facing a 26% attainment gap, disproportionate representation in unemployment, and with many dealing with everyday racism, surviving until the final year and making it to graduation is something to be celebrated.
This is exactly what Black Impact is doing through their ‘Class of’ initiative.Launched in July this year, the ‘Class of 2020’ graduation and a
American fans of The Great British Bake Off will not see the series 11 sketch about Boris Johnson. The Channel 4 favourite returned on Tuesday night with new host Matt Lucas joining Noel Fielding, and the first episode kicked off with a skit poking fun at the Prime Minister and the government’s muddled messages about lockdown and social distancing measures.However, US viewers
- Kim Jong-Un has said sorry after his soldiers killed a South Korean official (Pictures: AFP/EPA)Kim Jong Un has issued an extremely rare apology after his soldiers were accused of shooting a South Korean official dead and setting his body on fire. The dictator called the killing of a possible defector ‘unexpected and disgraceful’ as he tried to relieve tensions between the two countries. Tuesday’s shooting was the first time the north’s forces have killed a Sout
- Sean has welcomed a baby son (Picture: North News & Pictures)A man who was told he was infertile after being diagnosed with testicular cancer has just welcomed a son.Sean Collard and his twin Ryan both found out they had cancer in 2017. After undergoing intense chemotherapy, doctors told Sean he had been left infertile by the treatment.But despite being told it was unlikely he’d ever have children, Sean has welcomed a ‘miracle’ son with his girlfriend Sophie. The pair also
- Two men have been arrested - one from South Carolina, one from Texas - and charged with supporting a terrorist group after the FBI intercepted plans to stage 'Netflix worthy' terror attacks.
- KP Snacks in Slough announced it was axing the brand due to 'falling demand', so fans are racing to get their hands on the final packs, with one listing on eBay selling packets for £3 a pop.
- Mikel Arteta will be hoping to mastermind Arsenal’s third consecutive win over Liverpool (Picture: Getty)Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has revealed his longstanding admiration of new Liverpool recruit Thiago Alcantara.
Last season’s runaway Premier League champions bolstered their squad this summer with the additions of Diogo Jota and Konstantinos Tsimikas, but it has been the signing of the Spain international midfielder that has really excited the Anfield faithful.Thiago is braced t
- (Picture: Shutterstock/Reuters)In a case of (very-recent) history repeating itself, Tesco has become the second supermarket to bring back rationing for certain items to deter panic buying.Tesco follow Morrisons who re-introduced rationing on certain items after fears of a second wave were reported across the country.Which products have the supermarkets put a restriction on?What products have a three-item limit at Tesco?There will be a limit of three items per person on five different products at
- **Warning: this music video contains explicit language and gory content**The Walking Dead’s Norman Reedus went all out as he starred in Marilyn Manson’s new music video for Don’t Chase The Dead this week.Marilyn released the video for his song on Thursday and what better star to use than someone who’s used to running from the dead?The grainy video starts with Norman and Marilyn – rocking intense eye make-up – arguing.The two spend most of the video driving aro
- Origin Space, a Beijing-based private space resources company, is set to send Neo-1, a 30-kilo (66-pound) small satellite carried by a Chinese Long-March series rocket, into space in November.
- Concerns have been growing after the President refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power after November's election - adding "we'll have to see"
- Al fresco dining has been extended for central London until the end of October (Picture: Reuters / AP)A law has been extended to allow al fresco dining on the streets to continue in the London West End.Best get your hats and gloves ready, as despite chilly weather arriving in the UK this weekend Westminster Council has declared businesses are allowed to continue to serve people eating and drinking outdoors until the end of October.We just hope they’re going to provide some heaters.In a let
- Tilly Thorpe, 33, from Newton-le-Willows in Cheshire fought Covid for 12 days at home before being taken to hospital with pneumonia and put on oxygen, steroids and an IV drip.
- Mum-of-one Alena Pettitt says she spends her days cooking, baking, washing and ironing for her family and receives an allowance from her partner in return
- Lampard remained coy on transfers (Picture: Getty Images)Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has addressed rumours of Antonio Rudiger and Jorginho’s exits from the club, insisting he ‘doesn’t expect anything’, but every player will be dealt with on a ‘case-by-case basis’.Rudiger has been left out of Chelsea’s last two match day squads, and reports claim he is looking for a way out of Stamford Bridge.Meanwhile, midfielder Jorginho has started both of the Blues&rsq
- The R-rate is up from 1.1 to 1.4 last week as cases continue to climb (Picture: PA)Scientists warn the UK’s R rate – measuring how quickly coronavirus is spreading – is up once again from last week.
Data released on Friday by the Government Office for Science and the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) shows the estimate for R for the whole of the UK is between 1.2 and 1.5.This means on average, every 10 people who catch the disease will infect between 12 and 15 ot
Follow @newslock_uknews on Twitter!