- via theguardian.comThe Guardian’s picture editors select photo highlights from around the world Continue reading...
- Hundreds of people reported being woken up by ‘thundersnow’Police have reassured residents in Edinburgh after hundreds of people reported being woken by the sound of explosions.Residents said they heard bangs that ‘sounded like bombs going off’ as extreme weather struck the city.
Two ‘extraordinarily loud’ thunder claps were heard over the capital just before 05:00.Police said that the noise was caused by ‘thundersnow’, which is created when thunde
- Hopes that an end to the pandemic was in sight were bolstered last night after the first batches of the prized jab arrived in the UK, following No10's 'top secret' operation to get the vaccine in Britain.
- Petras Grazulis, one of Lithuania's most outspokenly anti-LGBT politicians, has been seen sitting next to a topless man during an official online meeting. The video was widely shared online.
- Ex-solder Daniel Naylor, 29, and Daniel Keigher, 32, verbally abused the cabin crew on a Jet2 flightfrom Krakow, Poland, to Manchester after staff refused their plea for a bottle of champagne.
- The rule-breaker, a man in his 50s accused of smuggling across the Chinese border, was shot dead in public on November 28 (pictured, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un).
- Surender Singh, 31, had his front teeth knocked out during the alleged incident at Belmont Shopping Centre in Perth in February.
Black Panther’s Letitia Wright criticised for sharing anti-vaxxer video questioning safety of Covid-19 vaccineLetitia has been called out over a video she shared (Picture: Dave J Hogan/Getty Images)Black Panther star Letitia Wright has been called out for sharing a fact-free anti-vaccination video on social media.This week, the UK approved Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccine, with the jab set to roll out to the most vulnerable next week.As the vaccine began arriving in the UK, Letitia shared a video from the channel On The Table, in which ‘prophet, speaker and author’ Tomi Arayomi spoke for an h
- Feeling anxious about video calls? You’re not the only one (Picture: Getty Images/iStockphoto)The horror of realising that you’re not actually on mute. The moment you enter a work chat and realise your hilarious virtual background from last night’s drunken quiz is still up. The self-esteem destruction of staring at your own face captured on an unflattering laptop camera.
The proliferation of Zoom has been a great thing for enabling communication and connection while we’re
- Frank Lampard currently has five senior central defenders at his disposal (Picture: Getty)Frank Lampard is willing to listen to offers for two of his defenders in January as the Chelsea manager looks to streamline his squad ahead of a potential Premier League title challenge.
The additions of goalkeeper Edouard Mendy, left-back Ben Chilwell and experienced centre-half Thiago Silva have been the catalyst for Chelsea’s remarkable defensive improvement so far this season.
Although Lampard sec
- The Reverend Canon Paul Overend, 54, who rose to be Canon Chancellor of Lincoln Cathedral,
was found not guilty of indecent assault after a deliberation at Newport Crown Court today.
- (Picture: ITV)Coronation Street star Michael Le Vell has admitted that the soap has become more story-driven over the years.The actor — who portrays Kevin Webster in the ITV serial drama — claimed that the soap is ‘more storyline driven’ these days, in comparison to the earlier years when it was more character-based.
Speaking about how Coronation Street has evolved, Michael told Metro.co.uk: ‘I think we try to do more social stories. Social issues and try to make pe
- Cops descended on the home in Raven Ridge Drive, southwest Houston, Texas, and found 25 men and one woman before arresting three people.
- (Picture: ITV)Coronation Street star Lisa George has revealed she was left half-blind in her right eye after she ‘haemorrhaged behind the optic nerve.’The actress — who portrays Beth Tinker in the ITV soap — opened up about the incident took place four years ago.‘I haemorrhaged behind my optic nerve four years ago and I’m half-blind in my right eye,’ Lisa told The Sun.
‘They said it was like a stroke but also I got hit in the eye with a bit of rope
- Paris has emerged as the major obstacle to a pact amid warning that just 48 hours are left to break the bitter deadlock over fishing rights and level playing field rules.
- Chris Hopson, chief executive of NHS Providers, said the process of vaccination will start next week (Picture: Reuters / REX)The first doses of the coronavirus vaccine will be given to Brits on Tuesday, an NHS boss has said.Chris Hopson, chief executive of NHS Providers, said the immunisation process will be ‘a marathon, it’s not a sprint’.He told BBC Breakfast: ‘We’re looking forward to the race starting on Tuesday.’It comes as the first doses of the Pfizer a
- Esther Dingley, 37, from Durham, vanished in the Pyrenees eight days ago and a large search mission has been launched to locate her. Police revealed her boyfriend Dan Colegate, 38, is worried.
- Investigations are underway into the animal'sdeath after it was discovered at Point Lowly, near Whyalla in South Australia on Tuesday.
- Families in Essex woke up to winter scenes this morning after a heavy fall overnight in some parts of the UK - defying some meteorologists' predictions the North would be mainly hit.
Rita Wilson reveals she still has coronavirus antibodies after falling ill with infection nine months agoRita Wilson reveals she still has coronavirus antibodies (Picture: Reuters)Rita Wilson has revealed she still has coronavirus antibodies, after she fell ill with the virus earlier this year.
The singer, 64, and her Hollywood star husband Tom Hanks both tested positive for Covid-19 during a trip to Australia in March, when the pandemic first started taking a hold.
They were among the first celebrities to come down with the infection and were forced to stay in quarantine down under until they had
- via mirror.co.ukChris Hopson, chief executive of NHS Providers, said immunisation will be "a marathon, it's not a sprint", telling BBC Breakfast: "We're looking forward to the race starting on Tuesday"
- Have you considered Comet or Amaryllis? (Picture: Getty Images)Now that it’s December, we officially have permission to make everything in our lives a touch more festive.And if you’re due to have a baby any time between now and 1 January, a seasonal name could be perfect for your little bundle of joy.If you’re after a little bit of inspiration – look no further. The most popular festive baby names have been revealed in new research by OnBuy.It turns out, the most popular
- Have you considered Comet or Amaryllis? (Picture: Getty Images)Now that it’s December, we officially have permission to make everything in our lives a touch more festive.And if you’re due to have a baby any time between now and January 1, a seasonal name could be perfect for your little bundle of joy.If you’re after a little bit of inspiration – look no further. The most popular festive baby names have been revealed.It turns out, the most popular festive girl name is Mary
Vernon Kay’s wife Tess Daly was holding back tears as she celebrated her husband reaching the I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! final. The 46-year-old will battle it out to be the first King of the Castle alongside Radio 1 DJ Jordan North and Giovanna Fletcher when it comes to the crunch tonight, and Tess was understandably bursting with pride. Sharing a v
Love Island’s Wes Nelson admits ‘money can’t buy you happiness’ after becoming millionaire at 21 but music has ‘paid off’Wes Nelson admits focusing on music has ‘paid off’ (Picture: @wesnelson)Wes Nelson is mature way beyond his 22 years and admits that ‘money can’t buy you happiness’, which is why he’s now pursuing his one true love of music. The musician rose to fame on Love Island in 2018 but has recently turned his attention from reality TV to music. His debut single See Nobody, released in October, reached an impressive number three on the UK charts so you might say th
- Olivier Giroud says he is keen to finish the season with Chelsea (Reuters)Olivier Giroud insists he wants to remain at Chelsea for the rest of the season but has told Frank Lampard that he wants more minutes on the pitch.The 34-year-old strengthened his case to start more by scoring all four goals in Chelsea’s 4-0 victory over Sevilla in the Champions League on Wednesday evening.Giroud has revealed that he has been warned by France boss Didier Deschamps that he risks losing his place in th
- Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said executives returning to England from 4am on Saturday will not have to go into quarantine even if they have come back from a country on the Government's 'red list'
- The 31-year-old winger played only eight games with the Melbourne Storm since signing in 2018 and announced he was leaving the game behind on Friday afternoon.
‘There’s something going on’ – Piers Morgan questions Arsenal exile Mesut Ozil’s role in Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s loss of formEven when he’s not in the squad, the German playmaker is still the scapegoat (Picture: Getty)Piers Morgan is concerned by Arsenal skipper Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s negative body language going into the north London derby and has suggested Mesut Ozil’s situation might be the problem.The Gabon international has not netted a Premier League goal from open play since the opening day of the season while Arsenal have failed to win their last three league matches, scoring just once.G
- Good Morning Britain’s Ben Shephard’s clash with Rishi Sunak over financial support amid the coronavirus outbreak caused a flock of complaints to Ofcom. Last Thursday, presenter Shephard and Susanna Reid grilled the Chancellor of the Exchequer over his new budget plans – including cuts to the foreign aid budget. But 1,008 viewers weren’t happy with Shephard’s line of questioning towards the politician. In the tense exchange, Shephard screened a tweet
Follow @newslock_uknews on Twitter!