London’s mayor on his experience of racism growing up, increasing diversity in the Met and the effect of lockdown on his mental health
There have only been three London mayors and the current one, Sadiq Khan, is not like either of his predecessors. He doesn’t possess Boris Johnson’s entitled flamboyance, nor Ken Livingstone’s maverick independence. And neither has he inherited their gift for generating headlines. But, having met all three men, I’d say he is easily t
- via theguardian.com
- The document vaguely details why different restrictions were allocated to each area in England but refuses to reveal the thresholds. It seems to be a direct response to anger over transparency.
Boris Johnson blasts 'gloomy' Covid economic forecast and vows NO income tax or VAT rise before 2024The Prime Minister made the comment as he addressed anxious backbenchers last night in the wake of Rishi Sunak's spending review, which revealed the scale of the problem facing the nation.
- Halle Berry had the perfect response following claims she is bad in bed (Picture: ANGELA WEISS/AFP via Getty Images)Halle Berry did not have time for speculation suggesting she is bad in bed.The Oscar-winning star took to Twitter on Thursday after she heard about comments made by actress LisaRaye McCoy on Fox Soul’s Cocktails with Queens.After the topic turned to Halle Berry’s love life, LisaRaye mentioned the ‘bad in bed’ rumors as she stated: ‘That’s wh
- President Donald Trump urged Americans to 'gather' together this Thanksgiving as President-elect Joe Biden advised people to stay home.
- Richard Staves, 97, has gone on trial accused of a series of attacks against woman while still in his 90s (Picture: SWNS)A Second World War veteran accused of sexually assaulting five women has claimed he was too old to be interested in sex, a trial has heard.Former Royal Marine Richard Staves, 97, targeted the women in the same alleyway between June 2016 and February 2018, a jury was told.He is accused of groping their breasts and thighs while trying to kiss them. A court heard one victim was s
- West Ham forward Michail Antonio has been struggling a hamstring injury (Picture: Getty)West Ham have been handed a welcome boost ahead of their match with Aston Villa, with Michail Antonio set to feature after recovering from injury.Antonio looked at the peak of the powers at the start of the season and was proving a handful for Premier League defenders up and down the country with his strength and speed, scoring three goals in the Hammers’ opening seven games.But the 30-year-old was forc
- Walt Disney Co will lay off about 32,000 workers, the company announced Wednesday in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- It has now emerged the smaller group of less than 3,000 out of 24,000 trial participants on the half-dose-full-dose regime - which recorded the 90% effectiveness rate - were all under 55
- Bosses at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital insisting their wards were 'very busy'. They had on average 85 out of 647 beds filled with Covid-19 patients in the week ending November 17.
- Miller, who was a senior advisor for Trump's 2020 reelection campaign, responded on Twitter to the news of the former National Security Advisor's pardon by the President on Wednesday.
- Boris Johnson has appointed Dan Rosenfield to the key job at Downing Street in the wake of the extraordinary row that saw Dominic Cummings depart.
- Max Clifford will take centre stage in a new documentary (Picture: Getty)Notorious PR mogul Max Clifford will take centre stage in a new true crime film exposing the depths of his behaviour. In 2014, Clifford was jailed for indecent assaults against underage girls and young women, after 20 years of manipulation and abuse.The one-off documentary will interview some of his victims who came forward and helped secure his conviction in the police sting known as Operation Yewtree. In candid
- Five-year-old Chobe the lioness (pictured) underwent surgery at Oregon State University's veterinary hospital for a distended uterus caused by an infection on Monday.
- Everton full-back Lucas Digne could miss the next two months through injury (Picture: Getty)Everton have suffered a serious setback with the news that first choice left-back Lucas Digne could miss the next two months through injury.More to follow…
- Lockdown restrictions will be eased in England (Picture: Getty)After one month of full lockdown, England is to re-enter the three-tier system, which will see measures relaxed across much of the country.Health secretary Matt Hancock confirmed the new rules on November 26, saying the ‘end is in sight’ for the pandemic.From December 2, every area of England will move back into a regionalised new tier system – ‘medium’, ‘high’ and ‘very high’ &nd
- Can you get away with buying a velvet chair if you have pets, children, or are just super clumsy? (Picture: Getty Images/iStockphoto)Few bits of furniture say luxury quite like a velvet chair, sofa, or chaise longue.
It’s one of those things that we lust over in photos in other people’s interiors, and dream of buying for ourselves if we suddenly got a massive amount of money out of the blue.
But then, in the midst of visions of lounging on velvet eating truffles, we worry about the b
- When the store doors do fling open on Black Friday morning, retailers are taking extra precautions to prevent a huge crush of crowds that could speed the spread of coronavirus.
- Police are appealing for information after the woman suffered a miscarriage when she was attacked and had her phone stolen as she waited at a bus stop in east London
- Around 80 firms are involved in the venture designed to help them trade in the run-up to Christmas - their busiest period of the year.
- Gemma Collins has penned a letter revealing she had a miscarriage in July (Picture: David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images for Boohoo)Warning: Details in this article may be upsetting for some.Gemma Collins has penned an open letter to Meghan Markle, recalling her own ‘traumatic’ miscarriage, after the Duchess Of Sussex revealed she lost a pregnancy earlier this year.Yesterday Meghan – who shares one-year-old son Archie with husband Prince Harry – wrote an essay for New
- Charity groups today applauded Meghan Markle for 'breaking down that stigma and shame' around miscarriage after she revealed she had lost her second baby over the summer.
- Jack Wilshere cannot understand Mesut Ozil’s exile (Picture: Getty)Former Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere insists there is ‘obviously something we don’t know’ about the reasons behind Mesut Ozil’s exile at the Emirates.The German has been completely frozen out by Mikel Arteta this season, with the Spaniard leaving the playmaker out of the Gunners’ Premier League and Europa League squads.Ozil hasn’t played for the club since March but he is the Gunners&r
- Gogglebox creator Tania Alexander has quit the show (Picture: Jude Edginton)Gogglebox co-creator Tania Alexander has quit the Channel 4 show half-way through the current series, it has been confirmed.According to reports, Tania has left production company, Studio Lambert, to ‘pursue new challenges’.Studio Lambert deputy creative director Mike Cotton is now set to oversee the remainder of the current Gogglebox series, alongside show executive producer Leon Campbell.Confirmin
- England is returning to a three-tiered coronavirus local lockdown system when the national shutdown ends, with 99% of the population living under the toughest two tiers
- Natalie Bonett, 29, was stopped by police at a blockade in north of Melbourne, on her way to work in September for having her phone attached to a car charger.
- A mystery customer left the $3000 tip at Nighttown bar and restaurant in Cleveland, Ohio, on Sunday (Picture: Brendan Ring/metro.co.uk)A wealthy customer left bar workers stunned after he handed over a $3000 tip for a $7 beer at a hard-hit bar hours before coronavirus closed it. Brendan Ring, owner of the Nighttown bar and restaurant, in Cleveland, Ohio, said he ran down the street to say thank you to the man whose tip came just a few hours before the business temporarily shut-down due to covid.
- Can you go to the pub with your mates? (Picture: Getty Images/iStockphoto)London and Liverpool are among the long list of areas moving to tier two when England’s national lockdown ends on December 2.Tier two has strict social gathering restrictions on top of the baseline rules such as an 11pm curfew.The current stressful climate has people itching to meet up with their friends in the pub and let their hair down.Is meeting up with friends in the pub in tier two allowed?Visit our live blog f
- A casting agent has blamed Brexit rules for why she cannot pick a British child to play a young Prince William in a biopic about Lady Diana insisting the role must go to an EU youngster.
- People are being urged to check their Christmas trees for clumps attached to the branches that resemble a pine cone - as it could hatch hundreds of bugs into your home
Follow @newslock_uknews on Twitter!