- Severe staffing shortages mean pregnant women can no longer expect to see the same midwife from scan to delivery, the NHS admitted. Royal College of Midwives said it plans to hold ballot on strike action.
- The Libertines were honoured at the AIM Independent Music Awards (Picture: David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images)The Libertines’ John Hassall has praised younger artists taking breaks from touring for the sake of their mental health.The bassist for the rock band opened up to Metro.co.uk after being honoured at the AIM Independent Music Awards about the importance of mental health, explaining it’s a cause close to his heart.‘I think it’s important to all of us,’ h
- Public Spaces Protection Orders are disproportionately impacting rough sleepers, a report has found (Picture: Getty)Homeless people have been made to feel like ‘scum’ over ‘relentless policing’ on the UK’s streets.A new report has revealed how rough sleepers are disproportionately criminalised by Public Spaces Protection Orders (PSPOs.)The orders are used to target anti-social behaviour: such as by banning alcohol in certain areas or by ordering dogs to remain on le
- One in eight of us will contract HPV at some point in our lifetimes (Picture: Getty)Asking For A Friend is the series where we answer the questions you’ve always wanted to ask.In the year of Our Lord 2022, you’d expect sex positivity to extend to people with sexually transmitted diseases – but why does contracting something like HPV feel like a dating death sentence?Human papillomavirus is the name given to a group of sexually transmitted diseases that can – but don&rsquo
- Ramzan Kadyrov, a Vladimir Putin ally and head of Russia's Chechnya region, said Moscow should consider using a low-yield nuclear weapon in Ukraine after the loss of Lyman
- Get ready for a new week (Picture: Getty / metro.co.uk)This week we experience two powerful transits – firstly, Mercury turns direct again after the last few weeks’ retrograde (breathe a sigh of relief), and it’s also a Full Moon in the sign of Aries (a powerful motivator).
It’s time to get going again, to forge ahead, to get back to those hopes and dreams and well-laid plans and make progress.Let the tarot guide you to where you should you invest your precious energy thi
- The Boy is heading to the jungle (Picture: Karwai Tang/WireImage)The icon that is Boy George is heading to Australia for the upcoming series of I’m A Celebrity… Get me Out of Here! in the show’s biggest signing ever.The Culture Club legend, 61, will be mingling with other stars in the Aussie rainforest after reportedly scooping $1million (£879,000) to take part.‘It’s beyond exciting that we’ve secured Boy George,’ an insider said.‘It’s
- The migrant hawker dragonfly (Picture: Getty Images)Autumn is here. Hedges and bushes are loaded with blackberries, sloes, elderberries, hips and haws and trees with walnuts, chestnuts and acorns. There was a dew this morning.But summer clings on at Northward Hill RSPB Reserve, which overlooks Cooling Marshes in Kent. It alternates warm then cool as large clouds shift over a blue sky.Speckled wood butterflies fling themselves up in corkscrews as we pass. A small copper perches on a creeping this
- President Biden together with and the first lady will travel to Puerto Rico on Monday to survey the damage from Hurricane Fiona. On Wednesday, the couple will visit Florida, where Hurricane Ian hit.
- Fake buyers are besieging top-end real estate sellers and are often spending money on inspection reports or lawyer's fees to progress 'the sale', with one fraudster even getting pool water tasted.
- President Joe Biden compared his scheme to forgive millions in student debt to the vital paycheck protection relief scheme that was rolled out at the height of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Kevin Dean Eastman murdered trumpet player Stanley Sessions after he started a relationship with his ex in Colorado, US - before also killing his former lover
- Popping a Vitamin D supplement in the winter months is commonplace in the UK. But do you know the correct dosage?
- MoneySavingExpert reader Ali took Martin Lewis’ advice and challenged her council tax banding - then received a £4,000 tax rebate. Could you claim back too?
- Lebby's mother Eileen developed breast cancer at a similar age to her in 1984 - many of the family have been struck by the disease which is 'like a sword over all of our heads'
Aaron (James Craven) lashes out at Paul (Peter Ash) in upcoming Coronation Street scenes.
The above clip, taken from Friday’s (October 7) edition of the ITV soap, previews the tense confrontation between the two.As Paul arrives at the flat to talk to Summer (Harriet Bibby), he confronts Aaron about the drugs he stole from his dad.He accuses Aaron of giving Summer more drugs, at whi
- Trump, 76, heading off the stage to the Sam & Dave classic 'Hold On, I'm Coming,' is tossed both the pen and hat from a female fan wearing teal in the crowd.
- The proposed National Anti-Corruption Commission is striking fear into the hearts of some of Australia's most powerful people before it has even become law. Attorney-General said 'watch out'.
- Connie Versace broke down in tears demanding justice be served over the death of her brother Joseph, who was killed in a shed at Gnangara, Perth, on Thursday.
- A Coast Guard rescue swimmer was publicly thanked by President Joe Biden for his Hurricane Ian heroics, days before he due to be fired over the military's Covid-19 vaccine policy.
- Ihor Murashov, the director general of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear facility in Ukraine, has not been seen since Friday after he was blindfolded and detained by Russian troops
- Myrtle Mae Lewar’s first workplace after Jamaica was an NHS hospital in London as she answered the call for nurses (Picture: Josh Layton/File image)Myrtle Mae Lewars was not sentimental about possessions, but one would stay with her until the end of her life.
A handbook for assistant nurses was part of her passport for a better life as she joined thousands of Caribbean women answering a call to join the NHS.My maternal grandmother had borne the grinding hardship and lack of oppor
- Got someone you want to track today? (Picture: Matthew Chattle/Future Publishing via Getty Images)Time to dust off your trusty trainers and don your lycra leggings – the 2022 London Marathon is happening today, October 2.While the fitness fans and charity fundraisers among us will be taking on 26.2 miles through Central London, many more will simply be watching from the safe haven of the sidelines.But if you’ve got a loved one who’s running in the marathon, is there another way
- Saturday Night Live began its 48th season with a meta skit poking fun at itself. Top Gun 2 star Miles Teller pretended to be former NFL quarterback Peyton Manning analyzing the show.
- The crash took place in Fresno at around 9:54 a.m. local time on Garrett Avenue, near Jensen and Willow Avenue in the southeast part of the city.
- The average US homeowner saw their monthly mortgage payment rise by 15 percent or $337, according to a shocking new report from Redfin.
- The tail end of Hurricane Ian will send more wet weather across the south of England, with the Met Office forecasting even more heavy rain across the country next week
- With pay rates of up to $90,000 per year or more common, one occupation is desperately seeking a huge number of new recruits. And you don't need a degree and the job prospects are excellent.
Optus under fire over hack as Attorney General Mark Dreyfus questions why the telco had so much dataFollowing the huge Optus data hack, federal ministers have put heat on the telco asking why it kept old information, why it hasn't done more to alert those at risk or why it isn't telling what was stolen.
- Runners will hit Tower Bridge when they’re nearly halfway through the 26.2 miles (Picture: Matthew Chattle/Future Publishing via Getty Images)The 2022 London Marathon is taking place this weekend (October 2), with 40,000 amateur and professional athletes (plus some famous faces!) flocking to the capital to tackle the 26.2 mile challenge.The race is continuing in its new autumnal slot, having first been pushed back from its usual April slot in 2020 due to the Covid pandemic.The marathon alw
Follow @newslock_uknews on Twitter!