Mayflower 400: What’s the story behind the ship, how many passengers were on board and what happened to the original?The Mayflower’s voyage was pretty significant (Picture: Getty Images)Today is the 400th anniversary of the sailing of the Mayflower – the ship which set forth from Plymouth full of passengers – known as pilgrims – seeking a new life in America.The two-month voyage saw them eventually reach land in Cape Cod – now known as Provincetown, Massachusetts – with their arrival shaping the history of the nation for many years and generations afterwards.And the annivers
- Victoria has recorded another drop in coronavirus cases with just 12 infections and two deaths on Thursday.
- President Trump slammed Meghan Markle from the White House podium after she and Prince Harry recorded a video message urging Americans to vote, hinting they support Democrat Joe Biden.
- Dumped Weekend Sunrise presenter Simon Reeve was paid $250,000 a year for six hours a week work and ferried between his huge Gold Coast estate and Sydney for filming, insiders claim.
- UK gin is under threat from the fungus-like Phytophthora austrocedri pathogen which spreads through juniper trees whose berries are used to make gin.
- A man has died after a stabbing at Bunyarra Reserve in Emu Plains. It's a possible road rage incident.
- Britons will be urged
to download the mobile tracing app that uses Bluetooth technology to alert users if they have come into contact with someone who has tested positive for the virus
- Authors of a new report commissioned by the Electoral Reform Society say voters are still in the dark about spending in the 2019 election, almost a year on
- People in England and Wales can now download the long-awaited coronavirus app. Here is everything you need to know on how it works
- Ruth Jones explores her roots in the new series of Who Do You Think You Are? (Picture: BBC)Ruth Jones discovers her grandad played a significant role in the creation of the NHS in the brand new series of Who Do You Think You Are?.The Gavin And Stacey co-creator is among the four celebrities who explore their genealogy when the beloved programme returns next month.During her episode, Ruth finds out her paternal grandfather was a key player in the Medical Aid Societies of South Wales, which provid
- President Donald Trump at the White House on Wednesday refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power, saying: ''Well, we'll have to see what happens.'
- The claim - a precursor to a lawsuit - was filed on Wednesday by hotel employee Trevonyae Cumpian stemming from his August 29 detention by Tempe police Officer Ronald Kerzaya.
- The python was found under a suburban green wheelie bin by a Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers wrangler - who said the serpent was 'double the size of what I was thinking'.
- The dad, who cannot be named for legal reasons, left the young lad in his Edinburgh flat with a lodger who'd move in the day before and had not agreed to look after him, a court heard
- Lucky Jenny Quilter scooped the huge prize playing People's Postcode Lottery
- Area Manager Krishma Tangri explains why joining Aldi was a great move
- Simon is said to have made £37m in just one year (Picture: Getty/Rex)Simon Cowell reportedly made £37 million in just one year due to his numerous TV appearances and record label.The music mogul’s company Simco is said to have reported a profit of almost £35 million – an increase of over £10 million in profits from the previous financial year, according to The Sun.The publication has reported that new records show that Simon’s firm turned over more than
- One Greater Manchester Police officer was knifed in the arm, a second was spat at, and two more officers injured following the 'disgusting' incident in Oldham
- Hudson-Odoi has been linked with a move away (Picture: AFP via Getty)Frank Lampard was impressed by Callum Hudson-Odoi’s performance in Chelsea’s 6-0 thrashing of Barnsley in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday night.Hudson-Odoi played the full 90 minutes against the Championship side and Lampard felt he looked ‘sharp’ even though he didn’t score or assist any of Chelsea’s six goals.
Kai Havertz was the man to take most of the plaudits.
The Germany international scor
- Tamara Ecclestone and Jay Rutland have welcomed their second child (Picture: Getty)Tamara Ecclestone has given birth to her second child, a baby girl named Serenain Switzerland, her dad Bernie confirmed. Sharing his delight at his latest grandchild, 89-year-old Bernie Ecclestone told MailOnline: ‘I’m absolutely thrilled to be a grandfather again.‘Tamara gave birth to a little girl seven days ago in the same hospital that my son Ace was born in. ‘Mother and baby
- 'Sister, I am so sorry,' Breonna Taylor's sister, Juniyah Palmer, wrote on Instagram next to a photo of the two together. A Louisville grand jury declined to indict officers who shot Taylor dead.
James Gunn ‘over the moon excited’ to be working on Suicide Squad spin-off series Peacemaker with John CenaJames is working with John Cena on the Suicide Squad spin-off series Peacemaker (Picture: Warner Bros/Getty)James Gunn has revealed he is ‘over the moon excited’ to be involved in the upcoming Suicide Squad spin-off series Peacemaker.John Cena is set to reprise his role from the upcoming DC Comics film for the show, with James, 54, on board to write and direct multiple episodes.Taking to Twitter, the director wrote: ‘I’m over-the-moon excited to be working on #PEACEMAKER
- Competition for work during the COVID-19 pandemic is seeing thousands of hopefuls apply for the same job. One job-seeker told Daily Mail Australia the process is becoming disheartening.
- Australia's second biggest bank has the share market it had reached an agreement with AUSTRAC, the federal government agency charged with tackling organised crime.
- MPs have called for the Government to 'urgently' address long Covid with a number of actions, the first of which is to acknowledge that it exists after hearing 'incredibly moving and concerning' testimonials.
- Three brothersfrom Leeds, who love magnet fishing have hauled a weapon each. Reece, 14, Riley, five, and Leo four, have all found weapons at the bottom of the canal
- Nadia Whittome (pictured), Beth Winter and Olivia Blake voted against the Overseas Operations bill's second reading in the House of Commons despite being ordered to abstain.
- The Treasury said that it will top up the Sovereign Grant to help maintain the Queen's income, which is severely threatened by the pandemic in the UK.
- Louise will be performing a covid-friendly intimate show (Picture: Dave J Hogan/Getty Images)Louise Redknapp is one of the many stars who have had to adapt amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, and despite getting a whole new album ready in lockdown, she admits she’s not a huge fan of working over Zoom.The singer, 45, had released Heavy Love, her first album in almost 20 years, just a couple of months before lockdown hit, but she’s almost got the next record in the bag too. Lou
- But ten-year-old Harrison Walmsley tried not to panic when he saw his sister Eva, six, choking on a Lego brick. Instead he recalled a first-aid technique he learned at school before lockdown.
Follow @newslock_uknews on Twitter!