- via mirror.co.ukEthel Hanford and her son Donald, 75, suffered burns to their faces after a terrifying suspected gas explosion at her home in Willesborough in Ashford, Kent, a relative said
- Caption: Plastic jewellery is trending but is it worth the purchase?The summer 2021 fashion story is all about colour.
Lilacs, pinks, greens and strong blue hues are in, along with psychedelic prints and patterns.
It’s a season that isn’t holding back, which is refreshing as we move away from loungewear and the monochrome fashion of pre-pandemic life.
However, with this shift has come some unexpected off-shoot trends, and one of the most surprising is plastic rings.
If you ever dress
- Protesters hurled stones at officers from the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound as riot police moved in to quell the unrest following a weekend of clashes in the Old City that left at least 300 demonstrators.
- A man holding an Amazon delivery. (Getty)A third of Brits are racked with guilt over their growing use of online shopping giant Amazon, a poll found.They say purchasing goods on the site makes them feel guilty they are not suporting smaller companies with clear social and environmental aims.Many are also tormented by using the multi-national instead of smaller local shops and considering other options.Millions of people turned to the home delivery service during lockdowns but a huge 32 per cent
- Prime Minister Scott Morrison has vowed to keep Australia closed until 'it is safe' to open up. A prolonged fortress is set to worsen skills shortages and eventually demand for houses.
- A man has been charged with attempted murder and possessing a knife in a public place (Picture: Google)A man has been charged with attempted murder after a boy, nine, was stabbed in a random attack.The child was walking with his brother on Peveril Road, in Peterborough, at 3.24pm on Saturday, when a man attacked him and then ran away.
He was taken to Peterborough City Hospital by air ambulance, where he was treated for life-changing injuries to his face.
He has since been transferred to Addenbro
Woman who thought she couldn’t have kids finds out she’s pregnant just before surgery to remove her ovaryCaroline and Roy with their new arrival (Picture: SWNS)A woman who thought she was infertile after years of trying for a baby found out she was pregnant – just before undergoing surgery to remove her ovary.Caroline Darlington had been trying for a baby with her husband, Roy, for years – even turning to IVF to help the process. After coming off the pill, Caroline’s periods were irregular and she eventually discovered she had polycystic ovary syndrome.
Following two years of
- The Indian travel ban could remain in place while the government-run repatriation flights operate.Scott Morrison has publicly said that the ban will end on May 15 when the repatriation flights begin.
- You don’t need to board a plane for a taste of Europe (Picture: Getty)Your short-haul destination not on the Green List?
Don’t assume you’ll need to give up your holiday dreams entirely.
Instead, replicate your location’s feel with these hidden spots in the UK, that feel like they’re far abroad.
From Norfolk to Lincolnshire, these are all well worth a visit.
Here’s how to get a little taste of Europe in the UK.Cley Next The Sea, Norfolk… aka Dutch canal
- Aaron has a lump in his heed (Picture: ITV)Emmerdale’s Aaron Dingle (Danny Miller) may have done some questionable things in his time over the years – but for once, he is doing the right thing when he goes and gets walloped by a bat.
By Eric Pollard (Chris Chittell) no less! And it’s all the fault of Mackenzie Boyd (Lawrence Robb) who nabbed the expensive brooch belonging to Brenda Walker (Lesley Dunlop).
Brenda continues to accuse Faith (Sally Dexter) of stealing her brooch, w
- Phil is seething (Picture: BBC)The last thing you want at your wedding is a raging Phil Mitchell (Steve McFadden) – but that’s exactly what is faced by Callum Highway (Tony Clay) faces in EastEnders on the day of the big Ballum wedding.Tonight, everyone is getting ready for the big occasion but Phil is about to discover just how much Callum betrayed the Mitchell crime family code. And you can’t possibly have a member of the family who isn’t willing to turn a blind eye to
- Will Kelly and Summer provide evidence against Corey (Picture: ITV)Coronation Street is rocked tonight by the news that Seb Franklin (Harry Visinoni) has been murdered – and as the police launch an investigation over what happened him and Nina Lucas (Mollie Gallagher), they want evidence and statements from the teens connected.
Summer Spellman (Harriet Bibby) left the scene after witnessing things getting nasty towards Nina and Billy Mayhew (Daniel Brocklebank) is horrified when the tearfu
Asha Alahan (Tanisha Gorey) has a bit of a blind spot when it comes to thuggish manipulator Corey Brent (Maximus Evans) in Coronation Street.With her vulnerability and lack of self esteem, Corey has fed off of Asha’s need for love and validation and has her exactly where he wants her – to the point that she has found herself agreeing to giving an alibi for him for the night
Alastair Campbell revealed he accidentally broke social distancing rules as he made his Good Morning Britain debut this morning.The presenter had been discussing the upcoming changes to lockdown restrictions with co-star Susanna Reid when he confessed he totally forgot that you’re not currently allowed to hug loved ones when recently catching up with some friends.‘I must con
- ‘I’ve become more and more mindful, especially over the past year, that not everyone has someone they can talk to,’ says Alex (Picture: metro.co.uk)Before the pandemic began, one of my closest friends attempted to take his own life. I remember sitting with him in the hospital after it happened, my head filled with questions all starting with “why… ?”
I didn’t know if he could hear me or if he was actually there or not. I tried to remain hopef
10 soap spoilers this week: Coronation Street Seb death aftermath, EastEnders wedding revenge, Emmerdale assault, Hollyoaks diagnosisThe aftermath of a death, the wedding of the year and a violent assault make this week one to remember for our favourite soaps (Picture: ITV/BBC)Seb Franklin’s (Harry Visinoni) sad death continues to send shockwaves through the cobbles in Coronation Street this week, as Abi Franklin (Sally Carman) sets out to avenge her son.
Wedding bells, meanwhile, are chiming in EastEnders – or are they?
Callum Highway (Tony Clay) certainly hopes so, as he turns up at the registry office to put a
- Amber Moran, 21, and Clark Russell, 25, from Sydney, are exploring Queensland after setting off on a cross-country trip at the beginning of this year.
- Liberal MP Bernie Finn asked his Twitter followers: 'Where should the Chinese rocket land?', and suggested Waleed Aly, the ABC, Daniel Andrews and Greens Senator Lidia Thorpe.
- via mirror.co.ukThe deal applies on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week, however it’s only available to those who register and claim it via the Costa Coffee Club app.
- The traffic light system has ‘obvious flaws’ which could see variants still enter the country, scientists have said (Picture: Reuters/EPA)New Covid variants will still enter the UK as England’s traffic light system for travel has ‘obvious flaws’, scientists have said.The new system, which sees countries given a traffic light status based on their infection rates, will allow for some international travel to resume from May 17.
On Friday, it was announced that places
Lizzo has opened up to her fans about ‘feeling sad’ in a tearful video, confessing that she feels ‘like a burden to everyone’.The singer revealed she was already in a low mood and thinking that ‘nobody cares about you’ was making her feel worse.Breaking down in tears, she added that she wants to remember she is ‘loved’ but admitted she was
- David Lilley is crowned World Seniors champion (Picture: BBC)David Lilley was overwhelmed with emotion after beating his hero Jimmy White to win the World Seniors Snooker Championship on Sunday night, downing the defending champion 5-3 in the final.White had won the previous two editions of the tournament and had dropped just two frames on his way to a third straight final, comfortably seeing off Tony Knowles, Darren Morgan and Igor Figueiredo.45-year-old Lilley was making his first appearance i
- Taiwan-based zoologist Hung-Chang Liu, spotted the crab scuttling along the sand with the black shoe in tow on Dolly beach on Christmas Island, 2,600 kilometers northwest of Perth.
- A team of rescuers were called in to save the whale at Richmond Lock and Weir in south-west London (Picture: Reuters/LNP)A whale has been freed after marooning itself along the River Thames in south-west London.Hundreds gathered at Richmond Lock and Weir on Sunday evening after the small whale, believed to be a Minke, became stuck on the lock’s boat rollers.Footage showed the four-metre long animal getting hosed down by a man believed to be a Port of London Authority (PLA) staffer.A vet th
- Initiatives like Mental Health Awareness Week give us, and the many mental health charities, the opportunity to speak up and out even more loudly than usual (Picture: metro.co.uk/Mylo)There are some people who believe that mental health shouldn’t be a subject that is discussed once a year as part of an ‘awareness week’. It’s certainly something we at Metro.co.uk feel strongly about, which is why mental health and wellbeing is very much part of the fabric of our site.
- Son Minh Nguyen, 42, Richard Schaaf, 29, and his brother Frederick, 27 were all listed to face Sutherland Local Court on Monday charged over their alleged roles in the debacle.
- David Reid, 48, pleaded not guilty to murder but guilty to the manslaughter of his parents Diana, 71, and Graham, 75, at their Sutherland home where he had lived all his life.
Dr Hilary Jones has warned that hugs could pose a risk ahead of social distancing rules loosening next week as he joined today’s Good Morning Britain.Hugs with family and friends and indoor socialising are expected to be allowed from next week as Prime Minister Boris Johnson announces further easing of coronavirus restrictions in England.The next stage of the road map out of lockd
Champion surfer bravely competes in the Margaret River Pro just hours after the death of her brotherBronte Macaulay has surfed in the Margret River Pro semi final soon after the death of her brother. Jack Macaulay's sudden death has shocked the West Australian surfing community.
- BeatBody Dysmorphic Disorder Foundation
The Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM)Help Musicians UKJust Like UsMale VoicEDMental Health FoundationMindRethink Mental IllnessSamaritansSEEDSteppers UKYoung Minds Metro.co.uk MHAW TakeoverThis year, to mark Mental Health Awareness Week, Metro.co.uk has invited eight well-known mental health advocates to take over our site.With a brilliant team that includes Alex Beresford, Russell Kane, Frankie Bridge, Anton Ferdinand, Sam Thompson, Scarlett Moffat
Follow @newslock_uknews on Twitter!