- We'll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story
- The Northern Line was packed at rush hour (Picture: Guy Bell/Rex/Shutterstock)Commuters are abandoning cars amid the petrol crisis and getting back on board trains, buses and the Tube instead.Passenger data yesterday showed a seven per cent increase in London Underground travel and a two per cent jump on bus trips in one week — both hitting a post-pandemic high.Rail passenger numbers — already at two-thirds of 2019 levels before the fuel chaos — leapt another six per cent in th
- Learner drivers across Victoria can now complete their hazard perception test remotely. The move has angered many, who believe some young new drivers could cheat the system.
- Motorists reported queues at 11pm, 3am and 5.30am across the UK as the Government was accused of being 'asleep at the wheel' and questioned claims within Whitehall the crisis will be over soon.
Frances McDormand pays tribute to ‘best friend’ as Nomadland star Melissa Yandell Smith dies aged 64https://www.instagram.com/p/CTnDKrtNRIV/?utm_source=ig_embed
Nomadland star Melissa Yandell Smith has died aged 64 after a battle with colon cancer.An obituary in the New York Times confirmed that Smith died on September 7 at her home in San Francisco, surrounded by her husband, son, brother and friends.Smith’s first and last film credit was in last year’s Oscar-winning drama Nomadland, in which she played Frances McDormand’s character Fern’s sister Dolly.In a poignant sc
- The Government is taking over the running of railway operator Southeastern after a £25 million breach of its franchise agreement.
In a statement on Twitter, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said: ‘Investigations have identified a serious breach of good faith by Southeastern.‘To protect taxpayers’ interests and passengers I have ordered the Operator of Last Resort to urgently take over the running of rail services in the South East.’
Mr Shapps said over £25m of
- Southeastern trains failed to pay the government £25m it owed in tax ( Picture: ErithJohn)Southeastern trains will be taken over by Government after a probe discovered that millions of pounds of taxpayers’ cash had gone undeclared.Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said that £25m of historic payments due to the Department had not been paid since 2014.
He described this as a ‘significant breach of the franchise agreement’.
Fares, tickets and services will be unchanged
- Imposter syndrome creates a fear that someone will see behind the mask (Picture: Getty)It’s easy to listen to the voice in your head.‘You shouldn’t be here.’‘You aren’t good enough.’‘You are two minutes away from being fired.’The lies we tell ourselves can quickly become truths, and the supposed fraud takes hold.In most cases, this feeling is a classic manifestation of imposter syndrome.Imposter syndrome, also known as perceived fraudulence,
- Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said fares, tickets and services will be unchanged for millions of commuters
- Tensions hit boiling point at a garage in Welling, southeast London (Picture; Instagram/@91stefansilva)This is the moment a man appears to pull out a blade on another driver as the UK’s fuel crisis rumbles on.
Video footage circulating social media shows the man shouting at the motorist through their car window while brandishing what looks like a knife.
Cars can be seen clogging up the road as panic buyers desperately try to enter a petrol station in Welling, southeast London.The confronte
- Eggheads is headed to Channel 5 (Picture: BBC)Jeremy Vine has said Eggheads was ‘sleeping at the BBC’ ahead of its huge comeback on Channel 5.The beloved quiz show is set to return thanks to the broadcaster giving it a new lease of life following its axe on the BBC after 17 years.Jeremy will be resuming his position as host on the programme, which sees wannabe quiz whizzes face off against a team of championship players, and immediately jumped at the opportunity.‘Of course I sa
- New research has revealed the top 10 most searched travel locations by Australians, hoping for a post-lockdown getaway once the 80 per cent vaccination target is reached.
- Amazon boss Jeff Bezos went to space on a rocket built by a company he founded (Picture: PA)Jeff Bezos’s company Amazon has been accused by the shadow chancellor of paying too little tax compared with high street firms.Labour’s Rachel Reeves took aim at the US multi-billionaire at yesterday’s party conference, saying: ‘If you can afford to fly to space, you can pay your taxes here on Earth.’It came as she called on the government to increase the digital services tax
- Hunter Mannies, 44,believes he had an encounter with Brian Laundrie in a bar who was sitting alone at Bullwinkle's Saloon in West Yellowstone, Montana on August 26.
- Nikole Hannah-Jones on Monday condemned black author Frederick Joseph for his efforts to get a white woman he had argued with fired from her job.
- Residents in New South Wales could be due a share of a jackpot $467million treasure chest just waiting to be claimed.
- Time for an interiors update? (Picture: Aldi)If you’re looking for the latest interior fashions but you’re on a tighter budget – we might have just the thing for you.Aldi has launched a new armchair that is bang on trend. The chic Velvet Shell Accent Chair costs £109.99 and is perfect for creating a cosy corner at home this autumn.
Available online only from 26 September, this luxurious looking seat will add a touch of elegance and style to any living space.Velvet interio
- Romesh will put his mark on the show (Picture: Rex)Romesh Ranganathan has insisted he won’t be as brutal as Anne Robinson when he takes over The Weakest Link.The AGE-year-old comedian will be at the helm of a rebooted celebrity version of the classic BBC quiz show – which Anne ruled with an iron fist from 2000 to 2012 – and he insisted while he’s not above calling out ‘something stupid’, he won’t be taking things too far.Asked how brutal he’ll be s
- Could Nana be set to find love once more? (Picture: Lime Pictures)Love could be on the horizon for Nana McQueen (Diane Langton) in Hollyoaks, after Theresa (Jorgie Porter) decides to set her up on a date.
Upcoming scenes will see Nana open up, telling Theresa that she’s lonely.The revelation leaves Theresa determined to get her gran a man, and thus she makes it her mission to set her up.
And Jack Osborne (Jimmy McKenna) could be the lucky fella!Theresa puts out the feelers with Jack, and i
- Australia's competition regulator - the ACCC - on Tuesday released a report finding the tech giant was involved in 'more than 90 per cent of ad impressions' online.
- Definitely Al? (Picture: ITV)Chas (Lucy Pargeter) and Marlon Dingle (Mark Charnock) have been struggling to keep the pub afloat for months in Emmerdale.With customer intake low, Marlon has come up with all manner of money-making ideas, but nothing has really worked.At a dead end, Chas, Marlon and Paddy (Dominic Brunt) have been forced to consider Al’s (Michael Wildman) offer for the pub.Desperately wanting to ensure Al doesn’t take over, Paddy has turned to Kim (Claire King) for help
- Vic is in Meena’s way (Picture: ITV)Meena Jutla (Paige Sandhu) has been away from Emmerdale for a few weeks, busy supporting Manpreet (Rebecca Sarker) following the news her daughter had been rushed to hospital in Ibiza.Meanwhile, back in the Dales, chemistry has been growing again between Vic (Isabel Hodgins) and David (Matthew Wolfenden).As Meena returns, could David taking a bullet for Vic be the catalyst for the evil character to claim another victim?Arriving back home, Meena spots som
- Peter makes Martin’s situation even worse (Picture: BBC)There appears to be somewhat of a feud forming between Martin Fowler (James Bye) and Peter Beale (Dayle Hudson) as Sharon Watts (Letitia Dean) will be forced to intervene and offer advice in EastEnders.With Ruby (Louisa Lytton) in prison, Martin has lost everything – including his home and job.Wanting to help, Nancy (Maddy Hill) suggests Martin asks Peter for his stall back.However, he’s left feeling annoyed when Peter tel
- Toyah wants answers (Pictures: ITV)Toyah Battersby (Georgia Taylor) will continue to grow worried about Imran Habeeb (Charlie De Melo) in Coronation Street and as the lawyer continues his lies, Toyah decides to confront Sabeen (Zora Bishop) – who she thinks Imran is having an affair with.When Gary (Mikey North) mentions he saw Imran heading into a bar on the night of Kelly’s verdict, Toyah’s perturbed to realise Imran lied to her.After clocking intimacy between Sabeen and Imran
- James wants to make change (Picture: ITV)A few months ago, James (Nathan Graham) and Michael Bailey (Ryan Russell) were racially profiled by a police officer in Coronation Street.After making a complaint, James and Michael asked Craig (Colson Smith) to tell the truth about his account of what happened, after he initially sided with PC Brody.With the case progressing, there’s good news ahead for James…Ed (Trevor Michael Georges) and Aggie (Lorna Laidlaw) congratulate James when he re
BBC filmed almost 4000 hours of foreplay and eight hours of mating for new David Attenborough seriesA new documentary will take a deep dive into the mating rituals of the animal kingdom (Picture: BBC)The BBC shot reams and reams of footage of animals getting down to business for new David Attenborough-narrated documentary The Mating Game.The five-part series, narrated by Sir David, takes a focus look the animal world’s pursuit for a partner in order to pass on their genes to the next generation.Shot in 8K in stunning locations on land and sea, The Mating Game will lay bare the reproducti
- Scarlet was just six when she was first prescribed the steroid creams - and suffered topical steroid withdrawal (TSW) when she stopped using them at 12 years old
- Hayden Burbank, 49, and Mark Babbage, 39, are accused of breaching strict Covid-19 border controls on Saturday to watch the Melbourne Demons win the premiership on Saturday.
- Port Macquarie and Muswellbrook have been plunged back into lockdown for seven days after health officials discovered new Covid-19 cases in regional parts of the state.
- The Baddest Woman on the Planet is now a mum (Picture: WWE)Ronda Rousey has given birth to her first child.The 38-year-old WWE star has welcomed her first daughter with husband and fellow former UFC fighter Travis Browne, 34, and revealed the first photos of their baby girl.Alongside two adorable pictures of her newborn baby’s hand while cuddled up to Ronda and Travis, the proud mum revealed they have named their child La’akea Makalapuaokalanipō Browne.As well as the name, she c
Follow @newslock_uknews on Twitter!