My Irish father felt a kind of kinship with the black British boxers of the 1980s and 90s. Boxing, like the world of work my father was in, was overseen by self-serving men getting rich off the work of first- and second-generation immigrants
When I think of him in my childhood, my father is an evening man: impatient, loud, sporadically gentle. His days were spent outside, in this period uncertainly so, at the disposal of mostly unscrupulous subcontractors, corrupt and flagrantly benevolent to a
- via theguardian.com
- Prince Of Persia: Warrior Within – not as bad as people say? (pic: Ubisoft)Readers name the games they think don’t deserve their bad reputation, from Doom 3 to Star Wars: Battlefront 2.The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Dory. It involved games that are thought to be terrible but that you like, ones that are considered mediocre, or even something that’s acknowledged to be good but you think is even better.We had lots of difference suggestions in
- New Pokémon Snap – a better game than Sword and Shield (pic: Nintendo)A reader feels New Pokémon Snap shows up Pokémon Sword/Shield developer Game Freak as being no longer good enough for the mainline games.I’ve been a Pokémon fan for a long time now, since the original Game Boy games, and I’ve seen the series ebb and flow in popularity in that time, with the last few years certainly being one of the highest highs. Pokémon Go is still hugely p
- Gaming is changing and it’s because of you (pic: Metro)A reader cautions against blaming publishers for problems in the gaming world and suggests they’re only doing what customers want.The games industry is clearly at a crossroads. The pandemic has helped to speed up the changes but it’s now very clear that Microsoft’s way of looking at gaming is completely different from Nintendo and Sony, who, odd as it may seem, have basically the same approach. Microsoft’s busin
- Following the Queen's state opening of parliament, she is to travel to Balmoral 'out of season' in a low-key visit this month to privately grieve for her beloved husband.
- Ed Rogers, owner of E.M.Rogers Transport, told the MailOnline that one of his lorries was attacked in France with iron bars and breeze blocks in a road ambush by Migrants trying to cross the channel.
- Angela Levin told Good Morning Britain that the Queen is "not the same" since Prince Philip's death and that Harry's criticism is difficult for her to take as she "adores" him
- Whitehall sources said ministers have already agreed that millions of youngsters need more time at school after suffering more than a year of disrupted education.
- EDEN CONFIDENTIAL: The Duchess of Cornwall's former nephew, Derek Paravicini is to be the subject of a film. He can play almost any piece of music even if he's heard it once.
- DR MICHAEL MOSLEY: Frank Sinatra, famous for his heavy drinking, once said: 'Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but The Bible says: 'Love your enemy'.'
- Sarah Marsh and Jack Wilson noticed a change in their son Grayson's eye but thought it might just be a 'lazy' eye - it turned out to a cancerous tumor and the clock was ticking to save his life.
- SARAH VINE: However tricky the past few months have been, however much I've longed to see my family, one thing I shall be eternally grateful for is that no one I love appears in this picture
- The broadcaster left the programme in March after casting doubt on the claims made by Meghan about her mental health in her and Prince Harry's bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey.
- Waters is said to have requested two air marshals accompany her on a flight to Minneapolis, despite allegedly already having two US Capitol cops and Secret Service agents alongside her.
- The Year 10 and 11 students at Como Secondary College in Perth were celebrating after an indoor soccer match at lunch on Monday when the teacher stormed the change room.
- One of the suspects also removed the pyjama top from a 79-year-old man in another London burglary before smearing fabric conditioner on his chest, causing 'a burning sensation'
- The Prime Minister fears that disruption to trade caused by stringent checks could destabilise Northern Ireland - just as the Unionist 'marching season' approaches- according to sources.
- An owl seamlessly blended into the bark of tree with its feathers camouflaged against the trunk. The picture taken was in British Columbia in Canada and shows the Great Grey Owl turn its head to the side.
- It is striking that even DH Lawrence's latest biographer, Frances Wilson, has difficulty finding anything positive to say about Frieda Lawrence.
Union leadership contender who called for Priti Patel deportation claimed patriotism leads to racismHoward Beckett was accused of racism for calling for Priti Patel to be kicked out. Now, it has emerged he previously attacked Sir Keir Starmer's decision to 'wrap [the party] in the Union Jack'.
- 'My father beheaded my mother - I've tried to break the cycle of genetic pain and suffering'
- Romell Broom was on death row in Ohio for 24 years before he due to be executed in 2009 but he officials were unable to find a vein that would take the lethal injection
- Italy's prime minister Mario Draghi, 73, has renounced his £100,000 salary, accounts revealed. A declaration said he would not receive 'any remuneration' during his term as caretaker leader.
- Donald Trump is aiming to launch a social media platform to coincide with Fourth of July celebrations, as his team plots a way back into the limelight.
- Melbourne real estate high-flyer Zed Nasheet has revealed how his family emigrated to Australia to now owning a $550,000 Lamborghini and a billion-dollar business.
- Marjorie Taylor Greene and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traded insults after AOC branded her Democrat rival 'unwell' after footage of a 2019 confrontation between the women re-emerged.
- Broadcaster Jeremy Vinetweeted last week to his 760,000 followers after criminals vandalised a flowerbed belonging to pro-cycling campaigner Karen Liebreich in Chiswick.
Stacey Solomon admits she cries when she looks at dream wedding dress as she shares design with fansStacey Solomon and Joe Swash are set to marry this year (Picture: ITV)Stacey Solomon has revealed that she bursts into tears when she looks at drawings of her dream wedding dress after the delay of planning her big day with Joe Swash.The Loose Women star, 31, shared a sketch of her perfect frock on Instagram on Friday during a question and answer session with fans.The design shows an elegant dress with a plunging neckline, with a slit that leaves her leg on show.There appears to be floral embroi
Gogglebox star Pete Sandiford gives sister Sophie sweet dating advice as he warns against going after a ‘unicorn’A bit of brotherly advice goes a long way (Picture: Channel 4)Gogglebox star Pete Sandiford has put on his big brother hat to give his sister Sophie Sandiford some sweet dating advice, suggesting that she avoid going after a ‘unicorn’.In February this year, it was announced that Pete had become engaged to his partner Paige Yeomans, with it emerging a couple of months later that the couple are also expecting a baby.On the latest episode of Channel 4’s Gogglebox, Pete chatted to
- Only six percent of COVID-19 cases among more than 1,800 health care workers were in people fully-vaccinated with one of the two mRNA shots, according to the CDC's latest study.
Follow @newslock_uknews on Twitter!