Groups of pupils should only be sent home from school if there has been a positive coronavirus test, rather than someone just developing symptoms, Boris Johnson has said.
He said teachers and parents should look at the guidance around testing amid anationwide shortage of tests.
More to follow
- Victorians must now wear fitted face masks instead of bandannas, scarves, plastic face shields asmasks have been deemed more effective at stopping droplet spread.
- The alleged attack occurred in Matera, in Italy’s Basilicata region (Picture: Getty Images/iStockphoto)A British teenager has told a court how she and a friend were gang raped by eight men during a holiday in southern Italy.
They say they were set upon by a group of gatecrashers during a party at a villa in the town of Pisticci in the region of Basilicata region earlier this month.
Reports in local press claim they were slapped and punched before being raped by more than one person.
- Aldi is hiring thousands of new employees (Picture: Getty)Aldi has announced it will employ thousands of extra workers over the next year as it continues to expand in the UK.The German discount supermarket said it expected to create 4,000 jobs in 2021, adding to 3,000 new roles already created in 2020.It plans to invest £1.3 billion over the next two years, sticking with its store opening plan despite the coronavirus pandemic’s impact on shoppers’ behaviour.Aldi will also compl
- The ad, shared on Twitter by the Biden campaign just hours after the bombshell story emerged, compares average income taxes for different jobs to highlight Trump's minimal reported contribution.
Lorraine Kelly erupted into an emotional rant about Kate Garraway during her breakfast show today,
The host was confronted with pictures of the anti-lockdown protests that happened in London this weekend, seeing police forced to break up the demonstrations in Trafalgar Square.
And while chatting to Dr Hilary Jones, the presenter couldn’t help but refer to Kate’s situation whe
- Hannah Quintus says she was "stunned" after re-watching her pet camera to find her golden retriever Jax had stopped her falling over and guided her to the bed when she came home after a night out
- Joaquin Phoenix and Rooney Mara have welcomed a baby boy (Picture: AFP via Getty Images)Joaquin Phoenix and Rooney Mara are one of Hollywood’s most private couples, rarely speaking out about their relationship and treating us to only a handful of red carpet appearances over the years. However, it’s been announced that the couple have welcomed their first child together and chose to name their baby boy River after Joaquin’s late brother and actor who tragically died in 1993
- A tiny one-bedroom property with a rather unusual history has gone on sale in Merseyside and the 'absolute gem' of a home could be yours for £100,000
- Laurence Fox has indulged in some new inkings (Picture: Rex)Laurence Fox has got the words ‘freedom’ and ‘space’ tattooed on his hands – after announcing his plans to launch a political party.
The actor, 42, showed off the new inkings in cursive font in a snap of his knuckles pressed together on Instagram on Sunday.
He simply captioned the black and white shot: ‘Always.’
Where’s the link, we hear you ask?
Well, the White Lines actor has provisional
- Unseen footage from Ed Sheeran’s 2017 Teenage Cancer Trust gig will be available to stream from next month (Picture: Getty)Never before seen footage from Paul McCartney and Ed Sheeran’s live shows will be revealed to raise money for Teenage Cancer Trust.With the concert being axed this year to the pandemic, the footage will be available to stream on YouTube from October 8 – 18.Other performances available to watch include Muse, Rudimental, The Cure, Stereophonics and The Who, w
- Mark Selby edged an epic European Masters final (Picture: Getty Images)Mark Selby edged out Martin Gould 9-8 in a superb final of the European Masters on Sunday evening, handing the Jester from Leicester the first ranking title of the season.The epic struggle looked set to be one-sided when Selby raced into a 4-0 lead, but Gould was not to be brushed aside, winning the next five frames to take an unlikely lead.There was then never more than one frame between them, with Gould knocking in a break
- Venues serving alcohol in the Palace of Westminster were expected to be exempt from the new rules as they qualify as 'workplace canteens'
- Wilfred’s campaign will last for the whole of Black History Month (Picture: The Black Farmer)One of the UK’s only Black farmers is calling for the agricultural industry to do more to support the Black Lives Matter movement beyond ‘internal HR fluff’.Wilfred Emmanuel-Jones, who is 63, was awarded an MBE for services to farming in the Queen’s Honours List this year.
He was a child of the Windrush generation arriving in Britain from Jamaica at the age of four and has d
- The Parliamentary authorities have made the change with 'immediate' effect as they faced a huge backlash at an apparent exemption.
The parents of a six-month-old baby who they taught to water-ski, have stepped in to defend their decision after a video of him water-skiing went viral.Last week, Rich Humpherys took to the waters of Lake Powell, with his mum Mindi and dad Casey Humpherys saying he broke a world record in doing so.Rich was able to water-ski thanks to a special wooden set of ‘skis’, featuring
- The beluga whales will live out their lives in the open water sanctuary in Iceland(Picture: PA)Two beluga whales have enjoyed their first swim in open water since being rescued from a Chinese aquarium.After nearly a decade in captivity in Shanghai, Little Grey and Little White were taken to an open water sanctuary in Iceland.The whales had to get used to swimming in care pools before they were introduced to their new home in Klettsvik Bay.‘Seeing them swim together and deep dive amongst th
- The Stranger’s Bar in the House of CommonsThe sale of alcohol after 10pm has been banned in parliament after a curfew loophole caused uproar.
MPs will now no longer be able to drink alcoholic drinks in the on-site bars but they will remain open later than almost all other UK pubs and restaurants.
A UK Parliament spokesperson said: ‘Alcohol will not be sold after 10pm anywhere on the parliamentary estate.’ It will come into effect immediately, but catering of food can continue i
- The city's Covid-19 infection rate has to surged over 250 cases per 100,000 - leaving Liverpool in a 'difficult position' as locals are urged to limit socialising
- Boris Johnson's 10pm coronavirus curfew is doing 'more harm than good' the mayor one of the UK's biggest cities warned this morning - as scenes showed 50 drinkers dancing to a brass band
- Cassandra Free was enjoying a family day out with her three sons on the lake when unimaginable tragedy struck and Andrew, nine, fell into the water and died
Rising property prices will fade next year with average home losing £7,350, Google search data showsGoogle search data suggests showed a drop off in the number of potential buyers visiting the main property sites, which forecasters warn will spell a downturn in the UK housing market.
- Mike Conner, 48, CEO of tech company Appsbroker, snapped up Thorne Island near Milford Haven in Pembrokeshire, Wales, for £555,000 in May 2017 and is renovating it into a party island.
- The then 16-year-old, who cannot be named due to legal reasons, pleaded guilty in the Supreme Court of the Northern Territory to attacking his girlfriend at the time in October 2018.
On the Road With: TV chef Ching-He Huang on flying around Hawaii and a life-changing trip across ChinaKen Hom and Ching-He Huang exploring china.The TV chef talks to Polly Humphris about flying around heavenly Hawaii and a life-changing trip across the Chinese countryside.What is your favourite on-the-road moment?I lectured on a cruise ship in Asia once and we stopped off at the Vietnamese Unesco world heritage site Hoi An. Hubby and I decided to go off the beaten track and had a gorgeous day walking by Cau An Hoi bridge in the small village, past French colonial mansions, some of Asia’s o
- A man's romantic proposal on a boat took an unfortunate turn after he accidentally hit the vehicle's throttle and was thrown into a lake, a hilarious video shows.
- Boris Johnson is struggling to quell growing fury from his own MPs over the restrictions and the lack of parliamentary scrutiny.
- A change in the physical workplace has had an impact (Picture: Ella Byworth for Metro.co.uk)It looks very likely we will all be working from home for the next six months following the latest government announcements – which means many of us will go a year without seeing our colleagues.But, it seems that the shift to remote working has had a positive impact on people’s confidence.New research from Total Jobs has found that fewer people are now experiencing Imposter Syndrome, as a resu
- Boris Johnson intends to safeguard an additional 400,000 hectares of English countryside (Picture: Wildlife Trusts projects)The Prime Minister will warn countries they must act to reverse biodiversity loss as he signs a pledge to protect British land.Boris Johnson intends to safeguard an additional 400,000 hectares of countryside in England under plans to protect 30% of land by 2030.He will sign the Leaders’ Pledge for Nature at the UN event on Monday, agreeing to prioritise a green recove
- Senior Constable Mark Anthony Follington, 61, allegedly twice assaulted Anya Bradford, who had been asked for her ID in the gaming room of the Golden Fleece Hotel in Liverpool in May 2019.
Follow @newslock_uknews on Twitter!