- The head of Lebanon's militant Hezbollah group said Friday the best emergency government to deal with the country's worsening economic crisis is one that includes all political groups.Hassan Nasrallah's comments indicated there was no resolution yet on who should head an emergency government, two months after Prime Minister Saad Hariri resigned Oct 29.Nasrallah's comments were also a rejection of a proposition put forward by political ally Gebran Bassil, who called for a government made up of ex
- As hundreds of Americans prepare to evacuate Wuhan, the central Chinese city at the heart of a new virus outbreak that has killed over 100, San Francisco native Doug Perez is staying behind.Perez, 28, and his girlfriend have hunkered down in their apartment for the past five days.“A lot of foreigners are stuck here,” Perez said.
- When Fran met Bruce Lindahl, he didn’t seem like a monster. Today, more than 40 years later, she considers herself lucky to be alive.She was 15 and Lindahl was in his early twenties when he first invited Fran and her friends over to his apartment in Lisle, Illinois, she recalled to The Daily Beast. He would buy alcohol for the girls and host parties at his place with his live-in girlfriend.He initially seemed like a “wonderful person,” according to Fran, whose last name is bein
- A Hungarian security officer fired three warning shots early on Tuesday after about 60 migrants tried to force their way through a checkpoint on the EU member state's southern border with Serbia, police said.Police said the group tried to enter the European Union at the Roszke crossing at about 0430 GMT, prompting the security officer on site to open fire.The crossing was the scene of a large-scale riot at the peak of Europe's migrant crisis in 2015, when police clashed with hundreds trying to b
- Li Ziqi, 29, has garnered millions of followers with her videos of her idyllic life in rural Sichuan. Is she too good to be true?Since she began posting rustic-chic videos of her life in rural Sichuan province in 2016, Li Ziqi, 29, has become one of China’s biggest social media stars. She has 22 million followers on the microblogging site Weibo, 34 million on Douyin (China’s version of TikTok) and another 8.3 million on YouTube (Li has been active on YouTube for the last two years, d
- (Bloomberg) -- President Rodrigo Duterte is cracking down on some of the Philippines’ biggest businesses, pushing a populist agenda that’s endearing him to his supporters while putting off investors.The nation’s stock market has dropped as much as 11% from its 2019 peak and valuation has fallen to its lowest since 2011 relative to peers as Duterte stepped up his attacks last month. The 74-year-old leader whose drug war has killed thousands saw his popularity hit a new high last
- (Bloomberg) -- The Chinese Embassy to Denmark wants the newspaper Jyllands-Posten to apologize for publishing a drawing that depicts China’s flag with virus symbols instead of five stars.“We express our strong indignation and demand that Jyllands-Posten and [cartoonist] Niels Bo Bojesen reproach themselves for their mistake and publicly apologize to the Chinese people,” the embassy said in a statement posted on its website.Denmark’s largest newspaper has faced internation
- Afghan forces and Taliban fighters clashed in a central region where a U.S. military aircraft crashed, officials said on Tuesday, as the government tried to reach the wreckage site in a Taliban stronghold.On Monday, the U.S. military said an E-11A aircraft crashed in the province of Ghazni, but disputed Taliban claims to have brought it down, without saying how many were aboard or if any had been killed.Security forces were sent to the site immediately after receiving a report of the crash in th
- Mexican migration authorities said they have deported 2,300 Hondurans who illegally crossed over from Guatemala with a caravan heading to the United States.The "assisted return" of the Central Americans took place between January 18 and Monday, according to the interior ministry and the National Migration Institute.A total of 1,064 Honduran migrants were deported on National Guard planes and charter aircraft, they said in a statement.
- French police moved migrants out from Paris' biggest remainingmakeshift camp on Tuesday as the government faced pressure to show it is taking a tough stance on illegal immigration.Police cleared out the migrants from the camp site in northern Paris' Porte d'Aubervilliers, which had housed more than 1,000 people often living in squalid conditions beside the busy and noisy Peripherique ringroad.Since the closure of a huge migrant camp in Calais in 2016, many refugees have moved to Paris.
- South Korea says it plans to send chartered planes to China on Thursday and Friday to pick up about 700 South Koreans who wish to return home from Wuhan, the city at the center of a new coronavirus outbreak.South Korea’s second vice minister of foreign affairs, Lee Tae-ho, said Tuesday that the dates of the flights could change depending on consultations with the Chinese government.The South Korean Consulate in Wuhan has informed applicants for the flights that they will be isolated for tw
- South Korea says it plans to send chartered planes to Wuhan on Thursday and Friday to bring home some 700 South Koreans who wish to return home from the Chinese city at the center of a new coronavirus outbreak.Lee Tae-ho, South Korea’s second vice minister of foreign affairs, said Tuesday that the dates of the flights could change depending on consultations with the Chinese government.The South Korean consulate in Wuhan has informed applicants for the flights that they would be isolated fo
- When the leading Democratic presidential candidates marked Martin Luther King Jr. Day by linking arms and marching through South Carolina's capital, Michael Bloomberg was nowhere near the early primary state.“Mike Bloomberg,” a supporter clarified.While his competitors are hunkered down in the four states with the earliest primaries, Bloomberg is almost everywhere else — a Minnesota farm, a Utah co-working space, an office opening in Maine.
Legal experts call on Chief Justice John Roberts to subpoena John Bolton and other witnesses to testify in Trump's impeachment trialSenate Democrats want at least four key witnesses, including Bolton and acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, to testify.
- Sen. Doug Jones said he found the president's counsel did a good job with the case against convicting Trump of obstruction of justice
- The head of the World Health Organization said on Tuesday he is confident in China's ability to contain a new coronavirus that has killed 106 people and he called for calm, saying he did not think foreigners should be evacuated, Chinese media reported.As concern mounted about the impact of the coronavirus on the world's second-biggest economy, Chinese authorities reported a surge in cases, while the United States warned citizens against travel to China and financial markets wilted.Although cases
- The head of the World Health Organization said on Tuesday he was confident in China's ability to contain a new coronavirus that has killed 106 people and that he did not think foreigners should be evacuated, China's foreign ministry said.A growing number of countries have said they will evacuate their citizens from Wuhan, a central city of 11 million people and the epicenter of the outbreak.A chartered plane taking out U.S. consulate staff was set to leave Wuhan on Wednesday, a spokeswoman at th
- The new strain of coronavirus spreading across China claimed its first victim in Beijing, officials said on Tuesday, as the death toll climbed to 106, the United States warned citizens against trips to the country and financial markets recoiled again at the potential impact on the world's second-biggest economy.Amid mounting concern about the virus on Chinese social media, the National Health Commission said in a statement that all but six of those killed by the previously unknown flu-like virus
- The masked woman nervously approaches her target, shuffles into position and then unleashes a flurry of lashes -- proving herself as the newest member of the first female flogging squad in Indonesia's Aceh province.Such behaviour constitutes a morality crime in Aceh, the only region in the world's biggest Muslim-majority nation that imposes Islamic law -- known as Sharia.Indonesia's president has issued a call for the public floggings to stop but he has little say over what happens in Aceh, a de
- "Those Democratic caucus goers, will they be supporting vice president Biden at this point?” asked Sen. Joni Ernst.
- The Philippines' Bureau of Immigration will temporarily stop issuing tourist visas on arrival to Chinese nationals to help ensure the country remained free of the new coronavirus, its head said on Tuesday.
- The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns for individuals on Monday.Last year’s filing season was an adjustment for taxpayers and industry professionals alike as it was the first under a massive overhaul of federal tax law.The standard deduction doubled under the new tax law that took effect in 2018.
- The Senate impeachment trial hadn’t been in session for an hour on Monday before the man famous for his drive to impeach Bill Clinton was lecturing senators on the solemn nature of impeachment and bemoaning the politicization of the process. “Like war, impeachment is hell—or at least, presidential impeachment is hell," said Kenneth Starr, the special counsel who investigated Clinton for years and who now served as part of President Donald Trump’s defense team. His wo
- The bus driver sensed straight away that he and his six passengers were in trouble when the gunmen, dressed in Nigerian army uniforms, stopped their vehicle at a checkpoint.For weeks there had been reports of jihadists disguised as soldiers abducting travellers.The kidnapping around two weeks ago was part of a wave of identical attacks targeting the key Damaturu road -- the main lifeline linking Maiduguri and its roughly two million people to the outside world.
- (Bloomberg) -- Donald Trump’s defense lawyers resumed their presentation Monday after opening their arguments Saturday by saying House managers failed to prove the president should be removed from office.Here are the latest developments:Dershowitz First Trump Lawyer to Name Bolton (8:54 p.m.)Constitutional law professor Alan Dershowitz said the reports about former National Security Advisor John Bolton’s upcoming book don’t rise to the level of an impeachable offense. He was th
- The irony of Ken Starr declaring that the Senate is "being called to sit as the high court of impeachment all too frequently" was not lost on MSNBC's Ari Melber.Starr, the former independent counsel who pushed for President Bill Clinton's impeachment, is now one of President Trump's impeachment defense lawyers. He made his debut on Monday, likening impeachment to "domestic war" and asking, "How did we get here, with presidential impeachment invoked frequently?"When Starr was the independent coun
Sex Offender Charged With Killing His 5 Infant Children on Day He Was Due to Be Released From PrisonPaul Perez, 57, was charged in the deaths of the children born between 1992 and 2001.
- As Bernie Sanders exudes confidence in his ability to win next week's Iowa caucuses, his moderate rivals are struggling with how — and whether — to directly take on the progressive Vermont senator who some Democrats worry won't be able to defeat President Donald Trump.Former Vice President Joe Biden jabbed Sanders — without naming him — on the multitrillion-dollar cost of his most ambitious proposals, such as single-payer health insurance, tuition-free college and sweepin
- A Mexican soldier was killed and a general wounded Monday when traffickers opened fire on a military patrol that sought to intercept a drug plane as it landed on a roadway, officials said.The dramatic pre-dawn shootout in the Caribbean coast state of Quintana Roo showed the brazenness of drug cartels that are flying increasing amounts of cocaine in from South America.The traffickers pulled up in two vehicles near where the small plane landed on a road near the coastal lagoon resort of Bacalar an
The helicopter that carried Kobe Bryant and 8 others before crashing on a hillside did not have a black box on board, investigators sayThe National Transportation Safety Board said on Monday that investigators are working to determine the cause of the crash.
Follow @GadgetsUKnews on Twitter!