- India's financial capital narrowly escapes Cyclone Nisarga, as nearby areas bear the brunt.
- Kremlin-controlled Russian state media set out to tickle U.S. President Trump’s fragile ego amid falling ratings after his blustery appearance at Mount Rushmore on Friday. Mentioning that the American head of state had previously toyed with the idea he might be featured alongside Washington, Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt, and Lincoln, Russia’s premier state media channel Rossiya-1 aired a graphic of Trump’s mug right up there on the mountain beside them. Given the frequent al
- Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA), when confronted with her previous criticisms of then-President Barack Obama’s handling of the Ebola outbreak in 2014, claimed on Sunday morning that President Donald Trump is “stepping forward” in his response to the coronavirus pandemic that’s now killed 130,000 Americans.During the 2014 midterm elections, Ernst joined a chorus of Republicans who exploited the outbreak of Ebola in West Africa for political gain. Despite Obama deploying 3,000 servi
- After towns and cities across the country canceled annual fireworks displays to avoid large crowds gathering, many Americans launched bottle rockets and roman candles from streets and suburban backyards to commemorate Independence Day.In the first four days of July alone, 15 states have reported record increases in new cases of COVID-19, which has infected nearly 3 million Americans and killed about 130,000, according to a Reuters tally.Florida's cases have risen by over 10,000 for three out of
An asymptomatic coronavirus carrier infected an apartment neighbor without sharing the same space. A study blames the building's elevator buttons.A woman infected her downstairs neighbor even though the two never came into close contact. Transmission likely occurred in the elevator.
'Black power, Black love': Video shows heavily armed Black protesters marching through Georgia's Stone Mountain Park demanding a huge Confederate carving be removedBetween 100 and 200 mostly Black, and mostly armed protesters descended on the park to protest its massive Confederate carving.
- India added a record number of coronavirus cases Sunday, as the world's fourth worst-hit nation opened a huge treatment centre with 10,000 beds in the capital to fight the epidemic.The health ministry reported just under 25,000 cases and 613 deaths in 24 hours -- the biggest daily spike since the first case was detected in late January.The surge took India's total tally to more than 673,000 cases and 19,268 deaths.
- The northwestern Spanish region of Galicia imposed restrictions on about 70,000 people on Sunday following a COVID-19 outbreak, a day after Catalonia also introduced a local lockdown to curb the spread of the coronavirus.People living in A Marina along Spain's northern coast in the province of Lugo will not be able to leave the area from midnight on Sunday until Friday, two days before regional elections in Galicia on July 12.Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, speaking at a local political rally in B
I flew on the 4 biggest US airlines during the pandemic to see which is handling it best, and found one blew the rest out of the waterI found that, above all, social distancing is a concept that varies depending on what airline you choose to fly on during the pandemic.
- Britain's television watchdog is expected to announce on Monday that China's state television channel severely violated British broadcasting rules by airing a forced confession of a UK citizen, the Telegraph understands. China’s state broadcaster, which airs in English in the UK as CGTN, is likely to face sanctions, decided in a separate process by Ofcom, which could include hefty fines or being stripped of its broadcast license as a result of the investigation launched May 2019. The rulin
Bombardier just delivered its first Global 5500, a $46 million private jet that can fly nearly 7,000 miles – see insideBombardier's Global 5500 will go head to head with the Gulfstream G500 and already bests the American plane in cabin width and range.
- Campers and staff promise to isolate before they arrive at camp but in several cases the pandemic has arrived with them.
- A Vero Beach area woman told Indian River County Sheriff’s Office deputy that her live-in boyfriend stopped pinning her to the bed only to punch her in the face.
- Polls suggest the ruling Dominican Liberation Party (PLD) is set to lose power after 16 years as its mismanagement of the outbreak, infighting, corruption allegations and inequality overshadow its strong economic performance.The PLD's candidate, Gonzalo Castillo, 59, is trailing in second place behind Luis Abinader, 52, of the opposition Modern Revolutionary Party (PRM).
I flew out of the new LaGuardia Airport terminal 2 weeks after it opened and couldn't believe it was the same airport I hated. Here's what it was like.Many of the shops and eateries had been closed to the pandemic but the passenger experience was unlike any I'd had before at LaGuardia.
The WHO changed its coronavirus timeline to say it got its first report about the virus on the internet, not from Chinese authoritiesThe agency says its China office found out about the "viral pneumonia" cases from reading an online press release from the Wuhan health commission.
- Seattle has been the site of prolonged unrest following the May 25 police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, which sparked nationwide protests
- Nicola Sturgeon is under pressure to condemn “disgraceful” border protests where nationalists in hazmat suits urged English visitors to stay away from Scotland. Jackson Carlaw, the Scottish Conservative leader, said he was concerned that the scenes on Saturday would deter people from coming to Scotland and cause further damage to the country’s tourism sector, which has been devastated by coronavirus. A handful of nationalists turned up at the border over the weekend, urging mot
- Two rocket attacks targeted American diplomatic and military installations overnight, Iraq's security forces said Sunday, a little over a week since unprecedented arrests prevented a similar incident.Since October, US diplomats and troops across Iraq have been targeted by around three dozen missile attacks which Washington has blamed on pro-Iranian armed factions.In the first move of its kind, elite Iraqi troops in late June arrested more than a dozen Tehran-backed fighters who were allegedly pl
- Joe Biden's campaign has increased investment in and attention to the state as Trump lags in the polls.
- Angry at the toppling of statues, President Trump wants US heroes honoured in a new national garden.
- The Reagan administration's policies in Central America gave rise to the refugee crisis that persists today.
Madeleine McCann suspect 'could have snatched another child', say parents of young girl he allegedly exposed himself toThe German paedophile suspected of abducting Madeleine McCann “could have snatched another child”, say the parents of a young girl he allegedly exposed himself to in 2017. Christian Brückner was arrested in Portugal for exposing himself at a playground, leaving parents terrified that the convicted sex offender could have gone further and taken their children away in his van. The new details of Brückner’s twisted behaviour in the Algarve have once again put the spotlig
Fourth of July: fears of the coronavirus second wave did not prevent revelers in the US and UK hitting the beaches and the barsUS Independence Day and England's end of lockdown "Super Saturday" meant social distancing was abandoned amid the celebrations.
- Let's take a look.
- At least 16 people have died and a dozen are missing on the island of Kyushu amid devastating rains.
- People in England appear to have broadly behaved themselves as pubs reopened this weekend, Britain's health minister Matt Hancock said on Sunday after the latest step towards a return to normality from the coronavirus lockdown.Prime Minister Boris Johnson has urged people to "enjoy summer safely" as he bids to tread a narrow path of restoring consumer spending to help battered businesses recover, while avoiding a second wave of COVID-19 infections.Health minister Matt Hancock said he was satsifi
- A slew of organized Republican groups have sprung up to do all they can to defeat Trump in November. Will their effort work?Just like in 2016, a faction of the Republican party has emerged to try to defeat Donald Trump in the upcoming presidential election.But unlike the last presidential race, where the effort never truly took off, this time those rebel Republicans have formed better organized groups – and some are even openly backing Trump’s Democratic opponent, Joe Biden.In 2016,
- The country now has the world's fifth-highest number of Covid-19 deaths, more than France.
- With the loss of Hong Kong to China, Trump should visit Taiwan to show that the U.S. is serious about advancing its interests and values in the region.
Follow @GadgetsUKnews on Twitter!