- For such a simple cooking technique, it’s astounding how many get the grill all wrong. Here are 10 tips for an easy day over the coalsIf we had one piece of advice for the novice griller, it’s simply not to fear the fire. So many of us think there is a mystery to cooking on a grill but, in fact, it is the opposite – cooking over live fire or hot coals is the simplest, most elemental form of cooking. We’ve been doing it a lot longer than we’ve been cooking on stoves,
- A classic julep, but with gin as the active ingredient, and with pomegranate and honey to add to the summery feelThis refreshing mix of gin, fresh pomegranate, lemon, honey and mint makes the perfect sundowner for a summer’s day. Continue reading...
- Chronic COVIDâs association with smell and taste disorders offers prospects for the food industry to revamp recipes and menus, some say.
- Flora producer Upfield Group has published data to show that consumers and chefs who bought its plant-based butters, margarines and spreads instead of dairy butter have avoided emitting an estimated 6 million metric tonnes of CO2-equivalent within 12 months.
- Researchers in the Netherlands and the UK suggest that contrary to popular opinion, meat workers are often ambivalent about meat â avoiding meat consumption more than non-meat industry workers.
- Is that bottle of red plummy or peachy? So much depends on age and palate that many wines defy definitive descriptionOne of the weird things about wine is that, despite frequently being described as fruity, it seldom actually tastes of grapes: raspberries, cherries, gooseberries, peaches, all kinds of summer fruits, yes, barring the one it’s actually made from.In fact, even those descriptors can be offputting. What if you don’t find them in a wine? Does that say something about your
- ‘A cheese-themed floating restaurant that’s for people who possibly know they could be eating “cleaner”, but, well, life is short, so what the hell?’At a time when owners are playing it very safe, hospitality concepts such as The Cheese Barge in Paddington make me very giddy. It’s a barge where the entire menu – starters, mains and pudding – revolves around cheese. A barge de fromage, if you will.Even just writing the booking in my diary made my he
- After Nutri-Score, and more recently the Eco-Score, a new food labelling scheme has been developed in France. Planet-Score is based on LCA methodology, but also addresses pesticide use, climate impact, biodiversity and animal welfare.
- From cradle to distribution, Glebe Farmâs oat drink produces less CO₂e per litre than any other oat drink reporting its carbon footprint in the UK, including Oatly. FoodNavigator speaks to Glebe Farm to find out how.
‘The European market is specifically ripe for continued growth’: ADM talks Sojaprotein acquisition and plant-based growthADM plans to acquire European supplier Sojaprotein in a move that it says will accelerate growth of its alternative protein platform. We find out what the deal means for the ag-food giant â and ask what it tells us about Europeâs runway for growth in plant-based.
- Mondelez International raised its full-year organic revenue guidance to 4% from 3% on Tuesday after net revenues climbed 12.4% to $6.64bn in the second quarter thanks in part to increased mobility buoying categories hit hard by the pandemic and ongoing elevated demand for food at home.
- No need to take the kitchen sink, but a frying pan and a good knife might come in handy; bring simple foods, and if all else fails, there’s always the camp fireWhat can I make if my holiday kitchen is a dud?
Julia, Telford, Shropshire
“I once took a potato ricer with me to make mashed potato,” remembers Tommy Banks, chef-director of Yorkshire’s The Black Swan at Oldstead, Made in Oldstead and Roots. On coordinating its safe return after leaving it behind, his hosts asked
- As a new study reveals, the majority of people find allergen labels confusing. What's the problem and what should be done?
Griffith Foods acquires The Flavourworks: ‘A fantastic fit, ticking all the boxes in terms of strategy, capability and capacity’Griffith Foods has agreed to acquire UK ingredient supplier The Flavourworks in a move that European chief Wim van Roekel tells us is âa fantastic fitâ as the group works to double its sales and triple its bottom line.
- Redefine Meat, which makes plant-based meat alternatives using 3D printing and is preparing to launch in Europe after announcing a $29m fundraise at the start of the year, says the âhuge stridesâ achieved in its technology have allowed it to launch five new meat alternative products in select Israeli restaurants and hotels nationwide.
Why packaging made from crop waste allows companies to move towards ‘genuinely sustainable’ innovationA company is making paper packaging products for the food industry using crop waste materials such as apple skins, avocado peel and mango pips.
- We’d like to hear your ideas for how to incorporate plums into your cookingIt’s the time of year when plums start to ripen. Whether your best plum recipe is sweet or savoury, we’d love to know how you plan to cook with them this summer. Continue reading...
- A crisp, refreshing summer salad The 20 best summer vegetable recipes – in fullUse whatever noodles you have around for this crisp, light salad. I have suggested brown rice noodles but only because that is what I had in the house. The dressing is at its most refreshing when sharp, sweet and hot, but tweak it to your liking, adding more palm sugar or lime juice as you wish.Serves 4
sprouted mung beans 100g
carrot 1 medium-sized
brown rice noodles 100g
cucumber 1 medium-sized
coriander a lar
How to make the perfect vegan coconut ice-cream – recipe | Felicity Cloake's How to make the perfect…The secret to an authentic taste and mouth-feel is fat, so what’s the best substitute for dairy? Our resident perfectionist tries them all …Plant-based ice-cream, like so much else in the vegan world, has come on leaps and bounds in both range and quality in recent years as the market for it has grown, but many commercial varieties still replace dairy and eggs with a long list of perfectly harmless, yet still less than enticing ingredients such as fully refined soybean oil. Without
- There is little chance of food manufacturers covering the costs of palm oil sustainability efforts, despite new research saying it would require just a 2% increase in prices, according to an industry expert.
- It’s white, milky, better for the planet – and even works in a cappuccinoName: Potato milk.Age: Brand new, although a powdered version has been available – although not very widely – for some years Continue reading...
- How does diet impact risk and severity of COVID-19?
- Health campaigners have reacted with disappointment after new scientific analysis concluded that the European Food Safety Authority's (EFSA) claim that glyphosate is not genotoxic cannot be justified on the basis of manufacturersâ studies.
Givaudan boasts resilience to food inflation: ‘Natural hedges help us to recoup consumers in other categories’Givaudan has shrugged off concern that food price inflation could dent its outlook, insisting that ânatural hedgesâ mean the ingredient supplier can meet consumer needs, even when shopping budgets are squeezed.
What does ‘overlooked’ Gen Z wants from healthy food? ‘To realise ambitious sustainability targets, we must focus on the needs of young consumers’Findings from a Gen Z study commissioned by EIT Food are instrumental to understanding what the food system will look like, as well as which innovations are needed to fulfil the needs and demands of the future, Saskia Nuijten, Director of Communications and Public Engagement at EIT Food tells FoodNavigator.
- Findings from a Gen Z study commissioned by EIT Food are instrumental to understanding what the food system will look like, as well as which innovations are needed to fulfil the needs and demands of the future, Saskia Nuijten, Director of Communications and Public Engagement at EIT Food tells FoodNavigator.
- Coca-Cola Europacific Partners is trialling new drinks dispensing technology in Spain: which allows consumers to serve themselves, refill drinks and pay directly from the tap.
- Even if the summer weather means it doesn’t feel like salad season, just heat things up a little. Here’s how …• Got a culinary dilemma? Email [email protected] need warm summer salad ideas for non-salad days.Claire, Suffolk“Salad’s the most important thing to have next to you at all times,” says chef José Pizarro, who agrees that when summer days suffer an identity crisis, Claire is right to warm things up. And she could do a lot worse than h
- A sprightly, lively, vibrant dish full of piquant eastern flavoursWarm 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a deep saucepan, then add 2 tbsp of red curry paste. Let the curry paste cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, then stir in 750ml of vegetable stock until evenly combined, and bring to the boil. Continue reading...
- The Pathways to Dairy Net Zero initiative is being developed by the Global Dairy Platform (GDP), a group consisting of dairy companies and dairy associations, to accelerate climate change action throughout the global dairy sector.
Follow @FoodUKnews on Twitter!