Autocar's impression of how the ID 5 GTX could look
Production Crozz slated to be among performance ID cars to wear new badgeVolkswagen is set to use the GTX name on a range of electric-powered ID performance models, high-ranking sources at the German car maker have confirmed to Autocar.
The new nomenclature, already trademarked by Volkswagen, has been chosen for a number of ID models, including a production version of the Crozz coupé, which is likely to take the name ID 5 GTX in its most
- Sketches suggest Ferrari could be plotting an electric successor to the 812 Superfast
Drawings suggest that new model could be a GT-style electric successor to the 812 SuperfastDetails of Ferrari’s first production electric vehicle, arriving by 2025, appear to have been revealed in a series of patents leaked online.
A series of sketches and accompanying data, first discovered by US site Taycan EV Forum, suggest that Maranello’s first electric car will be a low-riding GT that co
- Land Cruiser will do whatever you ask – and keep on doing it
Toyota Land Cruisers and Mitsubishi Shoguns are among the hard-grafting off-roaders that get the job done, every timeWeeks, if not months, of seemingly relentless rain have made it very wet and very muddy outside, and so thoughts inevitably turn to 4x4s.
Reader John knows his stuff, having bought a Nissan Pathfinder brand new and put it to some serious hardcore use. As he told me: “The engine is and always was rough but the
- W16 produces 1479bhp in the firm's Chiron flagshipFirm's CEO, Stephan Winkelmann, calls powertrain a "USP which is not diminishing in value"
Bugatti’s quad-turbo W16 powertrain has life in it yet despite the broader trend for downsizing, according to Bugatti boss Stephan Winkelmann.
He acknowledged that Bugatti could have a pool of other engine options to choose from within owner the Volkswagen’s Group arsenal, but said that the “mission for a Bugatti is a different one”
- Autocar's impression of the how the next-gen Qashqai might lookNissan is fast-tracking the new Qashqai and X-Trail for reveal this year, and lining up an all-new electric SUVNissan will reinvigorate its ageing line-up by introducing three new models in the next 18 months. A new Qashqai and a new X-Trail are due to be revealed this year and an all-new electric SUV will take on Ford’s Mustang Mach-E in 2021.
The significant product overhaul comes at a crucial time for the Japanese maker, whi
- Our reporters empty their notebooks to round up a week in gossip from across the automotive industryIn this week's round-up of automotive gossip, we tap Mercedes' brain on the future of China, quiz Audi Sport on the prospect of an electric R8, hear why Renault is focusing on design and more.
Mercedes' China prediction
Mercedes predicts that China’s car market will recover over the next five to ten years, despite it dropping significantly in the past 18 months. “It remains t
- The first PHEV to wear the Griffin badge delivers hot hatch pace - but can it match premium competition for ride refinement and interior finish?
Meet one half of Vauxhall’s two-step journey towards electrifying its entire passenger car line-up by 2024 - a journey set to make its other significant stride forward in just a few months with the arrival of the Corsa-e electric supermini.The Grandland X Hybrid4 is the first ever plug-in hybrid to wear a Vauxhall badge, 2012’s Ampera being,
- Images on social media show new family hatch will take styling inspiration from the Tarraco SUV and El-Born SUVThe new Seat Leon has been partially revealed in new images posted online ahead of its official unveiling tomorrow.
The pictures were posted by Instagram user CochesPias, and show the front and rear ends of the Ford Focus rival fully unwrapped. Visible details include an angular front grille design mirroring that of the firm's large Tarraco SUV, and the horizontal rear light
- Korean media reports suggest Kia's largest SUV will be shown at a dedicated event on 17 February, with a plug-in hybrid variant on the cardsKia will move its oldest model, the Sorento, into a new generation this year, and now reports from the company's home market suggest it will be revealed in a few weeks' time.
A report from The Korean Car Blog states strongly that the reveal, set to take place in South Korea, is planned for 17 February. This is also the date that domestic-marke
- Do a well-sorted chassis and unique interior bring Honda's first EV into line with longer-legged rivals?The 2020 Honda e is Honda's first full battery electric vehicle. It's compact on the outside - smaller than a Honda Jazz - and pretty compact on the inside, too. But it is quite funky in there, with two 12in digital displays as well as a full digital instrument pack and, as standard, rear view cameras instead of conventional door mirrors.
With a 35.5kWh battery within its short wheelbase, it's
- Arctic Trucks' take on the pick-up is brought into 2020 with hardware tweaks and new optionsNissan has revealed an updated version of its rugged Navara AT32 pick-up truck, claiming enhanced efficiency and driveability over the previous model.
The AT32 – so called because it’s been fitted with 32in Nokian tyres and modified by Icelandic off-road specialist Arctic Trucks – follows in the footsteps of its predecessor with bespoke wheel arch extensions, Bilstein performance s
- News27 Jan, 2020
Camouflaged prototype of all-new Range Rover Sport spied ahead of expected 2022 release
- Stuttgart's track-ready 911 could be revealed in the coming weeks as it's shown briefly without any disguise in Porsche's Superbowl adPorsche's upcoming 992-generation 911 GT3 has been seen without disguise - and the brand itself is responsible for its early sneak preview.
The track-focused sports car can briefly be seen in the background of Porsche's 2020 Superbowl advert, released online over the weekend. Though only quickly visible, tell-tale GT3 styling cues are clear to see, including
- Stuttgart's track-ready 911 could be revealed in the coming weeks after briefly appearing undisguised in Porsche's Super Bowl adPorsche's upcoming 992-generation 911 GT3 has been seen without disguise - and the brand itself is responsible for its early sneak preview.
The track-focused sports car can briefly be seen in the background of Porsche's 2020 Super Bowl advert, released online over the weekend. Though only briefly visible, telltale GT3 styling cues are clear to see, including the la
- More lay-bys and radar detection expected to be rolled out in the coming yearsThe UK government has revealed that 38 people have been killed in crashes on smart motorways in the last five years.
The announcement came in response to a Freedom of Information (FOI) request from the BBC’s Panorama programme. It is the first time Highways England, which manages the country’s road infrastructure, has reported the total number of deaths.
Smart motorways have come under heavy criticism in th
- El Born-inspired tailgate lighting strip and angular profile suggest edgy new look for upcoming hatchSeat hasn’t been shy of dropping teasers of the new Leon ahead of its unveiling tomorrow. In December it released a video showing details of the model, and recently gave us a look at the upcoming car’s rear in a new image.
The fourth-generation of the Spanish brand's Ford Focus rival will be revealed at a dedicated event on 28 January. Seat insiders have called the
- An eminently likeable and capable small car with good dynamics but a limited range and an ambitious price
A theme common to many electric cars is that their weight and architecture lead to them feeling lead-footed and brittle. The Honda E has circumnavigated that issue. So, whatever else comes of this sub-supermini hatchback, attractive but not quite as pretty as the concept that preceded it, one of its plus points will be the way it drives.Its new platform provides allround independent suspensi
- Tuscan Vulcan: late Mk3 Tuscan was revived by Str8six as a 505bhp V8-powered special
The TVR Tuscan is a practical but brutish two-seater that’s a joy to drive – when it works. We explore the pleasures and pitfalls of buying a used oneOne well-respected TVR dealer advises its customers to imagine they’re a brain surgeon. As someone who might be required to perform life-saving surgery at any time of the day or night, they must have a car they can depend on to get them to the hos
- MIT says its ‘supercap’ can double the energy density of a carbon-based one
Lamborghini and MIT's metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) mate increased surface area with the ability to conduct electricity, improving BEV rangeLamborghini's collaboration with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) to develop totally new supercapacitor technology for its hybrid supercar powertrains could lead to a major breakthrough in energy storage for battery-electric vehicles (BEVs). If the techno
- Refreshing new take on a hybrid small car. It's expensive, though, and will need to be more refined than this early prototype when it goes on sale in the autumn
If you were thinking of swapping the Mercedes-Benz S-Class for a supermini to save the planet, think again. Downsizing is no longer enough when it comes to reducing CO2.Small cars are harshly treated in this year's stiff new EU emissions legislation and superminis are going to have to get electrified to keep up. Nor is a battery electric
- Deer warning signs are installed in areas with high deer numbers, so take heed, even if you haven't seen them
Collisions between vehicles and deer cause many deaths, including human, in the UK every yearIt was 5.30am when Aaron Herringshaw set off from his home in Bournemouth at the wheel of his Mercedes-Benz C200 CDi estate to drive the 25 miles to his job as a chef in deepest Dorset. He liked the drive, especially at that time of the day when the sun is rising and the roads are quiet.
- The 3 arrived in 2013 and hinted at MG’s potential
The doyen of British motoring is rejuvenated and going places with a plan that includes an electric-only family estate and perhaps even a Porsche rivalMG is on a roll. Its biggest roll since the 1920s, you could argue, when an obscure British sales manager-turned-engineer, Cecil Kimber, took just three years to create the world’s best-selling sports car from the everyman Morris Minor – and then built a thriving, highly profitab
- Lightly revised city-car can still charm, but without hardware upgrades now looks well off the EV pace
Not that you’d know from the look of this new Fortwo, but the scene at Smart is changing.Daimler recently sold half the brand to Chinese giant Geely – parent company of Volvo, Lotus and, perhaps in the near future, beleaguered Aston Martin – with the intention of moving production to China for the next-generation models, which are due in 2022 and will likely include some
- Serial car collector Bremner struggles with all the admin
If you're not careful, your dream of owning a fleet can turn into a nightmare of paperwork
The mild epiphany came last year: I am probably the world’s worst small fleet manager. Apart from not quite knowing how many cars I had – 12, 13? – most of them had no MOT, no tax and few were runners.
This is the challenge of having a deep-seated urge to own a car museum, a busy job and limited mechanical skills. Having this many
- The Gladiator glides over terrain that would stymie a lesser vehicleThe Wrangler-based Gladiator – Jeep’s first pick-up in 27 years – looks born ready, for anything. We put it through its paces on rocky terrain
New Zealand’s summer is so wet that 1000 tourists have been stranded by road blockages, rain is falling at up to 40mm per hour, the Met Office says “small tornadoes are possible” and, earlier today, while driving along a road in a Jeep Gladiator, I was
- Volkswagen adds entry-level SE trim to its flagship SUV. Is this new no-frills Touareg the version to go for?
The Volkswagen Touareg has always been a pretty good car for people who don’t really like to stand out. Next to the likes of the Audi Q7, BMW X5 and Mercedes-Benz GLE, its comparative lack of pretence has historically marked it out as the large SUV of choice for anyone who might not want others to notice - and then potentially sneer at - the fact
- Tips & advice24 Jan, 2020
All the facts about the £11.50 charge for driving into central London including a map, how to pay and how to check if you need to...
- News24 Jan, 2020
Buyers of all electrified Audis can now charge their cars at hundreds of UK charge points with a single subscription service.
- Electric seven-seat luxury SUV is due in 2022; expansion of 40-series is also plannedVolvo will launch an electric version of its next-generation XC90, which is due in around 2022.
The third-generation XC90 will be the first model based on the updated SPA architecture that will underpin all next-generation versions of Volvo's 60-series and 90-series models.
Confirming the news, Volvo boss Håkan Samuelsson also revealed that an expansion of the smaller 40-series of models was also
- News25 Jan, 2020
Concerns after a high proportion of parents and grandparents say they don’t always use child seats for youngsters
Follow @Cars_UKnews on Twitter!