- How far does a car with the force of Volkswagen behind it move the needle on EV ownership?1938, 1974, 2020. It’s a chronological sequence that Volkswagen dearly hopes will look right and natural when we gaze back on events in decades to come. That’s how important the cartoon-faced electric subject of this week’s road test is to the world’s largest car maker brand; to its ambitions in an automotive sphere that is changing more quickly than many could have imagined. Beetle
- Toyota’s Ott Tänak and Martin Järveoja won last Rally GB in 2019
Despite its rich heritage, the British stop-off is gone - perhaps for good
Have you noticed that Rally GB, Britain’s round of the World Rally Championship, no longer exists? If you’re a hardcore rally fan, of course you have. You’ll be wringing your hands at its absence from the 2021 calendar, mourning the loss of a British motorsport crown jewel that has slipped quietly out of our grasp. Imagine i
- Chinese start-up's radical EV was a blank-paper project, resulting in solutions to issues you didn’t know existed
This is the very first model from HiPhi – a brand created by Chinese technology start-up Human Horizons, which clearly has the premium end of the EV market in its sights. Described as a 'shooting cross', the HiPhi X's cab-forward stance is recognisable from other upcoming luxury EVs, such as the Faraday Future FF91, and the proporti
- Motorsport's governing body reveals technical regulations for EV racing series based on GT3 categoryThe governing body of global motorsport, the FIA, has announced a groundbreaking electric sports car racing category that's designed to serve as a platform for manufacturers to develop road cars.
Racing at full-length, permanent circuits, the new racers will be based around the GT3 category, but the FIA is promising that they “will exceed their combustion engine-powered c
- It’s not about numbers or stats, and it doesn’t matter about the era or the series. Here’s the next in our series of favourite racing driversThe brief was simple. An email to all the journalists on Autocar: pick your favourite racing driver of all time.
What we didn’t expect was quite the repertoire of answers that came back. Covering most eras and a vast spectrum of the sport - from Formula 1 to club racing - it just goes to show how varied motorsport and its follo
- The engine was detuned to 900 bhp for this phase of testing.
- We need more estates in the electric era. Please!
- It also borrows the climate controls from the facelifted Tiguan and Arteon.
- Be like Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel.
- via theguardian.comProposed tax will kill the state’s nascent EV market and make it impossible to meet its own emissions targets, critics say
A coalition of car manufacturers, industry groups, infrastructure companies and environmentalists have branded the Victorian government’s proposed electric vehicle tax the “worst electric vehicle policy in the world”.In an open letter, published as a full-page advertisement in the Age newspaper on Thursday, the group of 25 organisations lashed the sta
- Camouflage continues to hide the all-electric saloon.
- Elon Musk denied on Twitter that Autopilot was activated.
- BMW is planning to launch many battery-powered models, but so far none are dedicated sports cars.
- The automaker is already accepting orders.
- German supermini gets refreshed looks, more technology and level 2 autonomous driving
The homogonisation of VW’s cars continues with the announcement of a facelifted Polo, as the car gets the same LED light strip along the radiator grille as the ID, Golf and Arteon models.
During the unveiling, Volkswagen’s head of exterior design, Marvo Pavone, said the link with the wider family is key: “It’s very important to have this relationship with the Golf 8 design language - it
- German supermini gets refreshed looks, more technology and Level 2 autonomous driving
The homogonisation of Volkswagen cars continues with the announcement of a facelifted Polo, as the car gets the same LED light strip along the radiator grille as the ID 3, Golf and Arteon.
During the unveiling, Volkswagen’s head of exterior design, Marvo Pavone, said the link with the wider family is key: “It’s very important to have this relationship with the Golf 8 design language [beca
- The electrified restomod can show messages on its grille.
- Engine revisions build on the strengths of a very handsome hatchback with a nicely understated dynamic edge. A little pricey, perhaps; but well worth considering.
This is Mazda’s handsome family hatchback, the 3, updated for 2021. But for the addition of a standard-fit sunroof on higher trim-level versions, that update is concerned mainly with what’s under the bonnet.The car offers a choice of two petrol engines, both with a pretty simple 24v, belt-driven, mild-hybrid assistance syst
- It's only a concept for now, but the production version is coming later this year.
- The FIA has revealed technical details of what it has described as a "groundbreaking" electric GT category planned for the future.
- Hybrid model will be offered with all-wheel-drive options and aims to blend Toyota's small car and SUV heritageThe new Toyota Yaris Cross compact SUV will go on sale in the UK next month, with prices starting from £22,515. First deliveries are due to take place in September.
The new Nissan Juke and Ford Puma rival, which will be offered with a hybrid-only powertrain and optional four-wheel drive, is designed to fuse Toyota's successful small car and SUV l
- It has the most powerful and highest-revving combustion engine of any Ferrari road car.
- The automaker says it will offer a "demonstrator" for proof of concept years ahead of the actual launch.
- Exclusive new supercar variant features highest-revving and most powerful V12 to leave Maranello
A new special edition of the Ferrari 812 Superfast will feature the most powerful combustion engine of any road car from Maranello.
Described as "the ultimate expression of Ferrari's concept of an extreme front-engined berlinetta," the as-yet-unnamed variant brings a raft of visual, mechanical and dynamic upgrades over the standard car, itself beaten in terms of outright pot
- Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, Honda, and Land Rover also take home awards.
- Pro Skateboarder Tony Hawk will help present it to the world.
- That's one good-looking daily car.
- He’s actually quite forgiving.
- They also created a Triumph Stag.
- Has Porsche’s 911 GT3 improved with each passing generation or become sanitised by modern demands and nannying tech?What could be better than a day spent driving a Porsche 911 GT3 on deserted English country roads?
Normally, I might struggle to answer that, because for at least the past 10 years, when there has been a GT3 in production, there has never been any problem naming my favourite car on sale. Today, however, the answer is as clear as the sparkling skies above our heads. What&rsquo
Follow @Cars_UKnews on Twitter!