Our man kerbs his Alpine A110. In a good way
We enter the new one-make race series for everyone’s favourite mid-engined French sports carThe organisers think it’s too exclusively French, but I rather liked the vibe of the Alpine Elf Cup, a one-make race series for Alpine A110s. It turns a little bit of whatever race circuit it visits into a part of France. By the end of a weekend at Silverstone, I’d remembered how to shrug resignedly and say “j’ai fini douziè
- No longer the trail-blazer, but improved enough to beat away its numerous foes?
It’s the second-generation Nissan Juke: bigger than before, more ‘mature’, and now driven on British roads for the first time.Fans of the oddball original (and with more than one million sold since 2010, there are a few) will already know a bit about this new model. In August, Autocar got an early taste with one of Nissan’s late-stage but imperfect prototypes at Millbrook Proving Ground.
- Opinion11 Dec, 2019
The automotive world has changed massively over the last 10 years, but editor-in-chief Steve Fowler thinks the future is exciting
- via TestDrivenMuch has been written about the new Ford Focus ST hatchback. The thing is, it’s the estate that interests us, because as well as being fans of fast Fords, we Brits love a good wagon.And this is a very good wagon indeed.
- Refreshed GLE Coupe joins Mercedes’ SUV line-up as a rakish-looking sporty five-seaterMercedes-Benz has announced UK pricing and specifications for the second generation of its GLE Coupé, ahead of the model's arrival in dealerships in spring 2020.
Prices for the re-engineered BMW X6 rival start from £72,530 for the entry-level GLE 400 d 4Matic equipped with the AMG Line Premium Plus package, and rise to £80,615 for the AMG-tuned GLE 53 4Mat
- Recent spyshots show updated design for second-generation BMW X2 rivalThe new Mercedes-Benz GLA will be officially revealed later today (11 December), with recent spyshots and a design sketch giving an early glimpse of the BMW X2 rival.
Although still featuring some front and rear disguise, the recent shots show that the crossover's shape takes inspiraton from the A-Class hatchback it shares a platform with, while the headlights are slimmed down variants of th
- The Vauxhall Corsa has been one of Britain's best-selling cars for years. We get an all-important first steer of the new one on UK roads
The first time we’ve driven the new, speedily-developed Vauxhall Corsa on British roads. And if there’s anywhere it’s worth testing the Corsa, it’s here, the supermini’s largest market even compared to parent brand Opel’s home, Germany.Vauxhall is keen to make mention of how important the Corsa is: not just to Vauxhall itself
- Long journeys on diesel, short ones on electric – what’s not to like? We have six months with Merc's hybrid estate to find outWhy we’re running it: To see if the near-perfect theory of a car with diesel power for long journeys and electric power for short trips can be matched by the realityMonth 1 - Specs
Life with an E-Class Estate: Month 2
Long-distance touring a speciality - 27th November 2019
There are many cars that could have done the five-hour journey home from
- Toyota GR Yaris
New high-performance Yaris variant will draw on Toyota's World Rally Championship experienceToyota will unveil its GR Yaris hot hatchback next month, with the firm promising the new machine will incorporate technology developed from the firm's World Rally Championship experience.
The new model will be shown for the first time at the Tokyo Auto Salon on January 10-12, and will be the second model in the firm's Gazoo Racing-branded GR sports car line, after the GR Supra. The G
- Max Verstappen already has five F1 seasons behind him
Max Verstappen was only 17 when he debuted in Formula 1. Now he’s ready to win a world championship. We sit down with the Dutchman
It’s a hectic time for Max Verstappen, the brightest emerging superstar in Formula 1. He has just completed his first century of grands prix – almost unbelievably, given that he only recently turned 22 – and when we meet is preparing to fly out to Brazil, where he will deliver an unexpected
- The Morgan team inspecting a Plus 6, which was the first model to use the CX chassisBritish manufacturer will now build cars on a light CX-generation chassis, after using time-honoured ladder ones for 83 yearsMorgan will next year end production of its models built on a simple steel ladder-frame chassis, a system it introduced 83 years ago with its first four-wheeled model, called the 4/4.
In recognition of modern customers’ need for greater road ability, even in traditional sports cars, t
- Special edition of Jaguar's smallest saloon will be limited to 200 unitsThe limited-run Jaguar XE Reims Edition is the first in a series of so-called ‘Jaguar Factory Specials’ which will each feature bespoke details.
The XE Reims Edition is named in celebration of the Jaguar D-Type’s maiden victory in 1954 at the 12-hours of Reims and uses the maker’s French Racing Blue paint, previously only used on extreme models such as the limited XKR-S and XFR-S.
- Want a sharp, swift drive? Check out these rapid saloonsLeasing can be an affordable, practical route into having your own private car, but it's not always easy to tell the good deals from the duds.
The experts at our sister magazine What Car? work hard to find you the best pay-monthly schemes, taking into account mileage allowance, montly outlay, contract length and initial deposit. We'll be bringing you the best deals they find from a different segment each week.
This week, it's fast sal
- In this week’s bumper double issue: Audi Sport goes electric, Mercedes-Benz GLE driven, Christmas cars of the year road trip and much more
An exclusive story leads this week’s news section: Audi Sport is set to finally embrace electrification, with its first ever electric model, the E-tron GT RS, expected to debut next year.
With roots in the E-tron GT concept unveiled at last year’s LA motor show, the sister car to the Porsche Taycan could be joined by as many as three electri
- A Taycan for the very well off rather than the unfeasibly wealthy, yet which in almost all normal usage is as good as a Turbo, if not betterIf you’re interested in buying a Porsche Taycan, it is the one you should look at first. And then ask yourself a very serious question: what is the extra £32,000 or £55,000 required to upgrade this Taycan 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S actually buying you? If the answer is a slug more power you may never use, a load of equipment you might ne
- News11 Dec, 2019
The limited-run Jaguar XE Reims Edition gets unique ‘French Racing Blue’ paint and extra kit beyond the R-Dynamic S model
- 'Implied' air intakes hark back to the legendary Audi QuattroBMW M4 rival is final RS model to be facelifted with overhauled infotainment and more aggressive stylingAudi has updated the RS5 Sportback and coupé with tweaked styling and an overhauled infotainment system, just six months after the current model first arrived in UK dealerships.
The BMW M4 rival follows in the footsteps of its RS4 and RS7 siblings in gaining a revised front end, which features reshaped air intakes and an
- How Gordan Murray's T50 could look, according to Autocar
McLaren F1-inspired hypercar offers a radically different experience from mainstream rivals. Owners must understand its unique charmsGordon Murray’s T50 is one of those special supercars that will need owners who take the trouble to understand it.
It’s quite different from most rivals in performance and price: you’ll search in vain for a touchscreen and the same goes for 'driver aids'. This is an unashamedly analogue car&
- Official image shows the T50's prominent rear-mounted fan
Named T50, the radical £2.3m three-seat ‘fan car’ with a 12,400rpm V12 will be launched next MayGordon Murray plans to unveil a production-spec version of his revolutionary T50 ground-effect ‘fan car’ in May.
The £2.3 million ‘analogue’ hypercar, to be built at Murray’s new Dunsfold factory, will move immediately after launch into a prototype build and development phase, before product
- S-Class of SUVs packs a wonderfully refined and powerful diesel powertrain, but ride foibles undermine its appeal somewhat
This big beast is the third-generation version of the Mercedes-Benz GLS, née GL. Mercedes likes to think of it as the S-Class of its SUV range, and in terms of the sheer size of the thing, it would seem Stuttgart hasn’t skimped on the brief. At 5.21 metres, it may not be quite as long as, well, a real S-Class, but it’s easily the largest SUV to w
- Features11 Dec, 2019
A Kiwi couple are mid-way through an around-the-world odyssey in a Jeep Wrangler. We catch up with the pair in Iceland
- We asked a pro driver to describe what it’s like to drive CUPRA’s performance SUV. The twist: he had just one lap of Anglesey to tell us. Cue the action…The CUPRA Ateca has re-defined the style, comfort and pace you can expect from a performance SUV. We’ve already found out what it’s like to drive the CUPRA on one of Britain’s most scenic and demanding roads. We’ve also got the verdict of our Autocar and What Car? readers.
But what is the story of the t
- Combining AMG’s more focused dynamic set-up with the lesser capable of two bodystyles makes for compromises
Onwards, friends, leaving no niche unturned, just as much in the super-sports car category as Mercedes is doing in the small family car segment. This is the Mercedes-AMG GT Roadster in ‘R’ form and it takes the GT’s total number of derivatives to 16, across the two-door sports car’s coupé and roadster derivatives.The R Roadster is one of the weirder one
- News10 Dec, 2019
An average of 91.6 per cent of council vehicles use diesel, with London still running 724 non-ULEZ-compliant diesel vehicles
- Swedish brand's flagship saloon and estate will join XC90 with a raft of revisions, including more electrified variantsVolvo is planning a mid-life refresh of its S90 and V90 large saloon and estate ranges, and winter testing shots show the models with minimal disguise.
We can see that external changes will be subtle, given the development team hasn’t really bothered to disguise these prototypes. If you look closely you can see tape obscuring the lower grille and bumper details, suggesting
- Verstappen and Leclerc: the biggest threats to Hamilton
Which of the generation Z talents will make Hamilton generation ex?As Lewis Hamilton moves inexorably towards Michael Schumacher’s seven world titles and 91 grand prix victories, where is the next-gen challenge coming from? Is Ferrari the biggest threat to Hamilton and Mercedes? Or is it Red Bull-Honda?
In Max Verstappen and Charles Leclerc, both teams have outstanding young talents. You’d have to favour Verstappen simply becaus
- This kind of shot is far more enticing than on a driveway
Advertisers need to channel their inner Mad Men if they want their handiwork to stand out in the classifiedsSelling a car, as you frequently tell me, is a complete and utter faff. Not only do you have to cope with the great unwashed coming round to your gaff, kicking the tyres and probably slagging the car off, but they don’t want to pay your asking price, either.
Oddly enough, I was talking about all this the other day and what&rsq
- Integrated plug-and-play electric drivetrains should help make EVs more affordable.
Balancing affordability with profits is a major challenge facing EVs, but integrated plug-in electric powertrains can save everyone moneyTurn a profit on electric cars yet still offer them at a price more people can afford: that’s one of the major challenges facing the car industry. As things stand, it’s difficult to make inroads into the cost of the battery, but in most other areas, such as the archi
- Land Rover will release 500 Black Edition cars, which have dark gloss and interior enhancementsLand Rover has launched an R-Dynamic Black Limited Edition of its Range Rover Velar SUV, introducing an extensive black finish and interior add-ons to the standard car.
The limited-edition variant, of which only 500 will be produced, is based on Land Rover’s D180 R-Dynamic SE Velar.
As well as the black look, the model is also available in metallic grey. Other exterior features include tinted win
- Our reporters empty their notebooks to round up a week in gossip from across the automotive industryIn this week's round-up of automotive gossip, we chat plug-ins with Nissan and hear from Audi's design boss on E-trons, Mercedes commits to Renault and friends and more.
PHEV Juke nuked
Despite the second-gen Renault Captur offering a plug-in hybrid, the same can’t be said for the new Nissan Juke, which is built on the same platform thanks to the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance
Follow @Cars_UKnews on Twitter!