Rays pitching prospect Diego Castillo might be "good Archer" out of the bullpen. In tonight's Raymblings I'm going to compare a current major league pitcher for the Rays to a current minor league prospect of the Rays. Diego Castillo is a RHP prospect currently pitching in the AFL, and his stuff looks pretty similar to Rays ace Chris Archer--at least close enough to take a deeper look.
H mov (in.)
V Mov (in.)
Go back in time and discover Baseball from the Beginning: Tampa Bay, tonight at 9:30 on @FOXSportsFL! https://t.co/AaroDRxNQEGo back in time and discover Baseball from the Beginning: Tampa Bay, tonight at 9:30 on @FOXSportsFL! https://t.co/AaroDRxNQE
- #KeepKidsInTheGame to teach them values to help succeed in life. twitter.com/PCA_TampaBay/s…
- The Indians took game one of the world series, shutting out the Chicago Cubs Links:
The World Series is officially underway and the Cleveland Indians gained the upper hand in game one thanks to some stellar pitching from Corey Kluber and the bullpen, plus some unexpected offense from Roberto Perez who blasted two home runs as the Indians took a 6-0 victory over the Cubs.Kyle Schwarber is back, solely to DH and pinch hit for the Cubs. What can they expect from him?All around the media, they&rsquo
- Revisiting the Javier Baez for Alex Cobb trade that nearly was... The Chicago Cubs will make history tonight as they will play their first World Series game in 71 years and continue their journey to end a 108-year curse without a championship. While the Cubs’ super team – which boasted seven All-Stars during the regular season – got the team to the playoffs, Javier Baez has done the heavy lifting ever since.
In 10 postseason games, Baez boasts a .346/.373/.531 slash line with o
- The Rays have six former members of their organization on the World Series rosters of the Chicago Cubs and Cleveland Indians The Tampa Bay Rays may have not made it into the playoffs, but they have several former members of their organization who have helped pave the path for other teams to make it.
There are only seven games left to be played of major league baseball this year, if the series merits seven games, and those will be played by the Chicago Cubs and Cleveland Indians with game one sta
- There’s more than just Brent Honeywell! Seven Rays prospects are playing for Peoria in the Arizona Fall League, and it’s proving to be an advantageous experience for the Rays as the prospects are being coached by a soon-to-be familiar face.Here’s a break down of everyone the Rays have sent to Phoenix:
MGR Jared SandbergTriple-A Durham's manager Jared Sandberg is managing the Peoria team in the AFL this off-season, giving him important first hand experience with several budding
- The World Series starts up today, and that means that Chris Archer also starts up his second job.
#Rays @ChrisArcher22 at the #WorldSeries doing work for @espn, including a chat today with #Cubs Joe Maddon pic.twitter.com/Bl7yNj0WDU— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) October 24, 2016
It’s a that there are people stuck seasonal jobs in this country who have to piece together the rest of the year, but Archer seems to be a good sport about it.
Archer talked with Maddon yesterday.
On set with
- Brent Honeywell, the Tampa Bay Rays' No. 2 prospect and No. 39 on MLBPipeline.com's Top 100 list, threw four shutout innings, allowing only one hit in an 8-2 Javelinas victory Monday.
.@JakeOdorizzi, @MCoreyDickerson and @davewills34 joined Buddy Baseball this weekend in Tampa. #RaysUp https://t.co/C92FqakiGY.@JakeOdorizzi, @MCoreyDickerson and @davewills34 joined Buddy Baseball this weekend in Tampa. #RaysUp https://t.co/C92FqakiGY
We're teaming up with @PCA_TampaBay, @TBLightning to Keep Kids in the Game! Join us on Wednesday! #RaysUp Register: KeepKidsInTheGame.orgWe're teaming up with @PCA_TampaBay, @TBLightning to Keep Kids in the Game! Join us on Wednesday! #RaysUpRegister: KeepKidsInTheGame.org
- Featuring the likes of Dwight Gooden, Manny Ramirez, and more! Things are slow right now for 26 teams, including the Kansas City Royals who are no longer used sitting on the sidelines during the playoffs. Max Reiper of Royals Review spent some of his newfound down time looking into the best players to have just been awful while playing for the Royals.
Imitation being the highest form of flattery, I decided to flatter Max by stealing his idea, and taking it a step farther by building a starting l
- World Series coverage abound, Justin Upton was almost traded, and a showcase boycott is being planned Links:
The World Series will kick off on Tuesday, here’s a full schedule of eventsThe Chicago Cubs have chance to end their over a century long world series drought as they head to their first series in 71 yearsHow game six of the NLCS should have played outJustin Upton’s first year of his large contract with the Detroit Tigers didn’t go so well and they actually tried to trade
Who's carving today? #RaysUp Pumpkin stencils: tampabay.rays.mlb.com/tb/fan_forum/p… https://t.co/KSmH5bMHipWho's carving today? #RaysUpPumpkin stencils: tampabay.rays.mlb.com/tb/fan_forum/p… https://t.co/KSmH5bMHip
- Does Brent Honeywell have an elite changeup? What makes a pitch "elite?" There are certainly things we don't know about Rays top RHP prospect Brent Honeywell and his pitches yet, and probably won't until we see him in the majors, but the PITCHf/x data from his few AFL outings looks like he has many very promising pitches in his arsenal. Among them looks like a potentially elite changeup.
Commenter BravesRays pointed out that Brooks Baseball has PITCHf/x data for the AFL pitchers as well, an
.@JakeOdorizzi, @MCoreyDickerson and @davewills34 took their talents to Buddy Baseball in Temple Terrace this morni… twitter.com/i/web/status/7….@JakeOdorizzi, @MCoreyDickerson and @davewills34 took their talents to Buddy Baseball in Temple Terrace this morni… twitter.com/i/web/status/7…
- Talking about Rays baseball with little to no direction, or editing. This is the kickoff of a new series of articles here at DRB called Late Night Raymblings. The word "article" is being used loosely here. These will be more like a collection of random observations than any kind of structured story. There will be data points, but maybe not a whole lot of conclusions. So, ramblings.
Brad Miller's 2016 GB/FB/LD rates are almost exactly the same as 2013-2015, but resulted in
Baseball in Tampa Bay has a storied past. Take a trip through time with @FOXSportsFL tonight at 9:30! https://t.co/NYjtNq0nFZBaseball in Tampa Bay has a storied past. Take a trip through time with @FOXSportsFL tonight at 9:30! https://t.co/NYjtNq0nFZ
- Today marks the 21st anniversary of the first Tampa Bay Rays - Durham Bulls affiliation agreement Happy 21st affiliated anniversary to the Tampa Bay Rays and Durham Bulls!
On this date in 1996, the Devil Rays were granted the Durham Bulls as their Triple-A team for the start of the 1998 season.This was great for both sides.The Bulls would be making the jump from High-a, a move the team had been trying to make for decades.And the Devil Rays, the new kids on the block, would be associated with a f
- Who's carving pumpkins this weekend? #RaysUp https://t.co/IxFwXOnxt2
- Chicago Cubs one win away from the world series, sad times in Toronto, and Ricky Vaughn to suit back up? Links:
How do you beat Andrew Miller, August Fagerstrom at Fangraphs provides some optionsThe Cleveland [redacted] are heading to the World Series and Carlos Estevez aka Charlie Sheen aka Ricky ‘the wild thing’ Vaughn aka not the Rays PR guy wants to throw ceremonial first pitch in the first gameThe Blue Jays season is over, meaning Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion may have pla
- Justin Williams, the Tampa Bay Rays' No. 15 prospect, put on a show at the plate Thursday, going 2-for-4 with a single, a triple, an RBI and two runs scored as the Peoria Javelinas beat the Surprise Saguaros, 6-4, at Surprise Stadium.
One lucky kid will get to hang with @RaysRaymond at @FloridaAquarium Guppyween—tweet us your best #Rays costume for… twitter.com/i/web/status/7…One lucky kid will get to hang with @RaysRaymond at @FloridaAquarium Guppyween—tweet us your best #Rays costume for… twitter.com/i/web/status/7…
- Why did the ace lose his edge in 2016? Chris Archer is indisputably the Rays ace. The 28 year old flamethrower strung together three straight stellar seasons from 2013-2015, but struggled amid ever-rising expectations and in 2016 watched his ERA climb above 4.00 for the first time since his cup of coffee in 2012.The talent is still there. He struck out 233 batters, many with his nasty slider. He held opponents to a 0.235 batting average and stranded nearly three quarters of the baserunners he al
The #Rays were honored as the @CASAStPete Victory Over Violence Award recipient. We're committed to domestic violen… twitter.com/i/web/status/7…The #Rays were honored as the @CASAStPete Victory Over Violence Award recipient. We're committed to domestic violen… twitter.com/i/web/status/7…
Take a stand against bullying and support #LGBTQ youth by going purple for #SpiritDay: atmlb.com/2ebm63E https://t.co/t6IWqBBJgUTake a stand against bullying and support #LGBTQ youth by going purple for #SpiritDay: atmlb.com/2ebm63E https://t.co/t6IWqBBJgU
- Brandon Guyer and Chris Gimenez are in the World Series The Cleveland Indians won the American League (click to bask in someone else’s happiness), despite a terrible spate of late-season injury depletion. Injuries to Carlos Carrasco and Danny Salazar meant that rookie Ryan Merritt started last night, and he delivered four and a third scoreless innings.
Jose Bautista had said that because of Toronto’s experience, Merritt would be “shaking in his boots.” Merritt seemed to b
.@ChrisArcher22 makes his animated debut in @cartoonnetwork's Uncle Grandpa this Saturday at 12:15 p.m. ET! https://t.co/abySMOlkjh.@ChrisArcher22 makes his animated debut in @cartoonnetwork's Uncle Grandpa this Saturday at 12:15 p.m. ET! https://t.co/abySMOlkjh
- Rays valued run production over run prevention. It didn't work. Since 2008, there’s been one thing Rays fans have been more or less able to take for granted—high quality defense. The 2008 world series run was fueled by a truly incredible defensive performance of over 70 runs above average.
Those Rays were able to exploit a market inefficiency at a time when few teams valued (or accurately measured) defense, so it makes sense for their advantage to have come down over the past eight y
- On this date in '08. #RaysUp https://t.co/HTppQFjH43
- The ALCS and NLCS continue, MLB pushing for an International Draft, and Neil Solondz travels to Arizona Links:
Playoff action continues as games were played in both of the Championship Series going on right now
The Dodgers pitching staff continued to stump the Cubs lineup as Chicago was shut out, 6-0. The Dodgers now lead the series, two games to oneThe Toronto Blue Jays avoided elimination as Aaron Sanchez received plenty of run support en route to a 5-1 victory. Cleveland still holds the serie
- Way to swing it, Mayor @Kriseman! 💪 twitter.com/stpetechamber/…
The #Rays and Matt Silverman are working with @PCA_TampaBay to Keep Kids in the Game! Join us on Oct. 26: KeepKidsInTheGame.orgThe #Rays and Matt Silverman are working with @PCA_TampaBay to Keep Kids in the Game!Join us on Oct. 26: KeepKidsInTheGame.org
In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, meet our friend and Honorary Bat Girl, Pamela Ingram! #RaysUp https://t.co/xUn2MXifKNIn honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, meet our friend and Honorary Bat Girl, Pamela Ingram! #RaysUp https://t.co/xUn2MXifKN
- ⚾️ Brad made 26 a career year. 🎂 Here's to 27! 🎈 #RaysUp https://t.co/oGclsCIF6N
- Was it ketchup? Okay, so that was dramatic.
Trevor Bauer started but couldn’t make it out of the first inning, because the stitches on his pinky opened up.
Happy Halloween pic.twitter.com/zny8FFTmmL— Deadspin (@Deadspin) October 18, 2016
That turned it into a bullpen game, and the Indians bullpen was wholly up to the challenge. Only two runs in eight and a third innings against them. Eight strikeouts, seven hits, one walk.
Oh, and Jose Bautista thinks it’s all rigged, uses odd
In his first full season, #Rays prospect Joe McCarthy posted a .398 on-base percentage in A-ball.… twitter.com/i/web/status/7…In his first full season, #Rays prospect Joe McCarthy posted a .398 on-base percentage in A-ball.… twitter.com/i/web/status/7…
- ¡HBD, Charlie! twitter.com/mlbpuertorico/…
- This. Is. Awesome. Congrats! #RaysUp twitter.com/skittykatz/sta…
- Luke Maile played with Miracle League Gulf Beaches over the weekend. #RaysUp vine.co/v/5HDrQqt0djE
- The Dodgers evened up the NLCS at one, Trevor Bauer is starting game three of the ALCS due to a drone injury, and Chris Archer will be animated into a kids’ show Links:
Clayton Kershaw did Clayton Kershaw things as he stymied the Chicago Cubs and the Los Angeles Dodgers took a 1-0 victory, evening up the series at one game apiece.Meanwhile in the ALCS, the Cleveland Indians have quickly taken a two game lead over the Toronto Blue Jays thanks to some masterful pitchingTrevor Bauer was suppo
Logan Forsythe and Jamie Nelson took turns in the dunk tank at Oktoberfest in Tierra Verde benefiting Miracle Leagu… twitter.com/i/web/status/7…Logan Forsythe and Jamie Nelson took turns in the dunk tank at Oktoberfest in Tierra Verde benefiting Miracle Leagu… twitter.com/i/web/status/7…
- For six years, Tampa Bay was baseball’s best team. Now Joe Maddon can make sure they’re remembered. The saddest thing about losing in the playoffs is not the loss itself. Baseball fans are used to losing. It’s a long season, and even the best teams generally lose more than 60 times.
No, the saddest thing about losing that final playoff game is the knowledge that your team—the team you’ve been with for 162 games as they made it nearly to the top—will not be rem
- Brandon Guyer, Melvin Upton Jr. among former Rays seeing postseason action Hit by pitches?Bat flips?What are you expecting from this ALCS match-up?Rays fans can use this game day thread to share their thoughts.
- In its annual rankings of top prospects by league, many familiar Rays represent their minor league affiliates Over recent weeks, Baseball America has been rolling out its league top-20 prospect lists. The lists are free for everyone to see, as are the chats, but the scouting reports require a subscription. I would encourage everyone to check them out.
The focus is often on individual teams' top-10 lists, but I think the league lists may be even more helpful. When you see a ranking featuring Bren
Our Hank Aaron Award finalist is clutch: 44% of his RBI tied the game or gave the #Rays the lead. Retweet or vote a… twitter.com/i/web/status/7…Our Hank Aaron Award finalist is clutch: 44% of his RBI tied the game or gave the #Rays the lead. Retweet or vote a… twitter.com/i/web/status/7…
- A dramatic game five in Washington, Chris Archer will be returning to TV, and Justin Williams attributes his breakout season to the Rays hitting instructors LINKS
Justin Williams is off to a hot start in the Arizona Fall League, fresh off a breakout campaign in the minor leagues this past season, which he attributes a lot of his success to the Rays minor league hitting instructors, including Chad MottolaChris Archer will be returning as an on-air personality during ESPN’s coverage of the W
- Opening night. Let's go, @tblightning! #TeamTampaBay vine.co/v/5XQp93dOZOw
.@JakeOdorizzi is tonight's Bolts Social Captain, with help from his son Rhett! Good luck, @TBLightning!… twitter.com/i/web/status/7….@JakeOdorizzi is tonight's Bolts Social Captain, with help from his son Rhett! Good luck, @TBLightning!… twitter.com/i/web/status/7…
- After striking out 90 times in 2015, Justin Williams came to spring training looking to refine his approach at the plate. Williams' new approach has continued to pay dividends in the Arizona Fall League, as he's off to a hot start and led Peoria to a 5-2 win over Scottsdale on Thursday afternoon at the Peoria Sports Complex.
Follow @TampaBayRays_ on Twitter!