- The NFL films producer was a guest on Murph and Mac and tossed out a few names that may go at number 2—and they aren’t quarterbacks.Senior NFL films producer Greg Cosell was a guess on KNBR’s Murph and Mac last week and offered a lot of his draft analysis on the 2017 NFL Draft prospects in regards to a fit for the San Francisco 49ers. Cosell was high on Reuben Foster and thought he’d be the one to go at No. 2. This was said before it was revealed Foster failed a drug test
- The rumors continue circulating with the draft just a few days away. The top of the 2017 NFL draft remains a tough one to figure out, and how the quarterbacks will go is one of the many mysteries. Draft analysts are not high on this year’s QB class, but most recognize that multiple quarterbacks are likely to be drafted on Thursday.
North Carolina’s Mitchell Trubisky is expected off the board first, but there remains some speculation that DeShaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes could surpri
- If you believe this, there’s a chance to win some money. There are not a lot of clear expectations for the first round of the 2017 NFL draft after Myles Garrett likely goes No. 1 overall. There is even talk Mitchell Trubisky could go first, but whatever the case, most of the first round is up in the air.
One player who has had a lot of momentum the past two months is Stanford running back Christian McCaffrey. Prior to the Combine, McCaffrey was projected in the early second round. Since th
As the players prepare for the next phase of the offseason workout program, take a look back at Phase 1. https://t.co/SA05nghkiQAs the players prepare for the next phase of the offseason workout program, take a look back at Phase 1. https://t.co/SA05nghkiQ
- Who will be there at No. 34? The San Francisco 49ers need edge rusher help in a bad way. Aaron Lynch, Eli Harold, Tank Carradine, and Ahmad Brooks all could compete for that kind of work, be it in the LEO role or in the nickel defensive end. There is talent amidst that group, but too many questions. Lynch is a talented pass rusher who has had numerous issues staying on the field. Ahmad Brooks remains solid but is in the last year of his contract. Tank has been a bust thanks in part to the team m
- I’m shocked, SHOCKED! The San Francisco 49ers fired general manager Trent Baalke this year, and lead the NFL with $72,397,252 in cap space. The two facts are related. The 49ers spent very little in free agency last year, but the cap space is due as much to poor drafting as anything else. The 49ers have not had nearly enough players worthy of a sizable contract extension in recent years.
Recently the New York Post studied the last five years of NFL draft classes to assess who was best and w
- Breaking down the offseason program for the 49ers - voluntary veteran mini-camp is next The San Francisco 49ers finished Phase One of the offseason program this past week with 100 percent player attendance. Phase One consists of the first two weeks of the new season with activities limited to strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation. The only coaches allowed to work with the players on the field are members of the strength and conditioning staff. No live ball drills are allowed and
- Sunday, April 23, 2017 edition of the Golden Nuggets, a daily compilation of San Francisco 49ers links from around the Internet. Couple days late on this myself, but the news that running back Glen Coffee is making an NFL comeback is really something else. When he retired, a lot of people brought out the line about not caring enough about football and dedication and all of that silly stuff that I don’t agree with, but at this point I have a hard time believing he has something to offer an
Thanks to @UCSFChildrens for letting us join them for #UCSFprom last night! 💃🕺#49ersGiveBack https://t.co/Je7rSWeIwMThanks to @UCSFChildrens for letting us join them for #UCSFprom last night! 💃🕺#49ersGiveBack https://t.co/Je7rSWeIwM
- The NFL Network analyst offered an educated guess about the 49ers plans next week. The San Francisco 49ers head into the 2017 NFL draft with a new head coach and a new general manager. John Lynch’s personnel experience is limited to some defensive back work for John Elway, and his television analysis. Kyle Shanahan has history as an assistant coach to give us some ideas of what he might like in terms of personnel, but even that is limited since he has not been in charge.
All of that leads
- David and Oscar put a bow on their pre-draft coverage and lay out the plan for the 49ers in the 2017 NFL Draft. On this final pre-draft episode of the Better Rivals podcast, we put everything together and develop a plan of attack for the 49ers in the 2017 NFL Draft. What are the strengths and weaknesses of this draft class? Is trading down from No. 2 overall a realistic possibility? Who’s the best option if they’re stuck at No. 2? And which positions should they be focused in o
- With a new coach, the 49ers attempted to plug the numerous holes left on the team. They kind of succeeded? I guess.Every year when free agency starts, I usually dig up videos of the San Francisco 49ers’ previous drafts for us to see some of those picks. The greatness that is modern technology lets us look back and laugh at analysts’ praise of future duds or their ridicule of future gems.
Youtube user Marvin49 collects the drafts every year and posts the videos up for everyone to see.
- The 49ers have invested heavily in the defensive line. Will it pay off? The San Francisco 49ers have gone in a very clear direction over the past two drafts: beef up the defensive line. They did this when they were running a 3-4 defense, and got some guys who weren’t necessarily the best fits in a traditional 3-4 alignment. Now they are switching to a 4-3 defense (and ran so much nickel in the first place that the difference may actually be negligible) and things are starting to look inter
- Glen Coffee, a running back who retired from the 49ers after just one year in the NFL, is trying to make a comeback. Coffee, the 49ers’ third-round draft pick in 2009, has filed the necessary paperwork to get back in the league. The 49ers placed him on waivers, meaning a team that wants to give…
- I would be surprised if the 49ers spent the No. 2 pick on him, but I won’t make any assumptions at this point. We’ve been hearing plenty of rumors about whether or not the Cleveland Browns might select North Carolina Mitchell Trubisky with the No. 1 overall pick. Mary Kay Cabot heard the San Francisco 49ers might also be interested in Trubisky at No. 2. Well, now we can add another quarterback to the rumor mix.
SF supposedly wants Watson, if Cleveland is actually dumb enough to take
- The surprising Friday transaction does indeed indicate a comeback is in the offing. We saw an entirely random transaction on Friday, with word that former running back Glen Coffee had applied for reinstatement to the NFL and subsequently been waived by the San Francisco 49ers. I wasn’t sure if that was specifically a paperwork thing or what, but Ian Rapoport confirmed with Coffee’s agent that he is indeed attempting a comeback.
Former retired #49ers RB Glen Coffee received reinstatem
- In reality, the 49ers have a lot of needs, so anything is possible early in the draft. The San Francisco 49ers appear to have wrapped up free agency with their decision to sign offensive tackle Garry Gilliam. They could still sign some camp bodies before training camp, but for the most part, the free agency run is complete.
The 2017 NFL draft starts in six days, and the 49ers have a chance to supplement their free agency additions with some serious impact players. They have ten draft picks, incl
- NBCS Bay Area - Running back Glen Coffee, who walked away from the 49ers during training camp of his second NFL season, was reinstated Friday off the reserve-retired list.As part of the same transaction wire released by the NFL office, the 49ers released Coffee, making him a free agent.Coffee, who turns 30 on May...
- Where Mitchell Trubisky will go on Thursday is the first big mystery of the 2017 NFL draft. The Cleveland Browns and San Francisco 49ers are both looking for a quarterback of the future, and a Browns beat writer is hearing Mitchell Trubisky could be that guy. Mary Kay Cabot is reporting that the Browns are still seriously considering Trubisky with the No. 1 overall pick, and also heard that the 49ers like him and might take him at No. 2.
There’s plenty to unpack from Cabot’s report.
- ESPN - Both Myles Garrett and Mitchell Trubisky go to the Browns. Jerry Jones snags some defensive help. A trade down for the 49ers and Colts. We're picking out best-case draft scenarios for each...
- ESPN - SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The 2017 NFL draft will begin on April 27 in Philadelphia. TheÃ‚ San Francisco 49ers own 10 picks in this year's draft, including...
- Your San Francisco 49ers links for Saturday, April 22nd 2017 Thank God, the draft is less than a week away.A week from writing this (I do the Nuggets on a Friday evening) it will be Round 2 of the draft. Yay! I really would like that chapter to be over with so we can focus on the future season. In fact this entire year is all about observation. I’d like to see what John Lynch does with Trent Baalke’s partially constructed draftboard (mostly revisions, but we won’t see a full Ly
- San Francisco Chronicle - The 49ers are no longer a marquee team. If last year's 2-14 eyesore didn't hammer the point home, this year's schedule serves as another reminder: For the first time since 2006, the 49ers won't play a game on "Monday Night Football."...the 49ers are one of six teams that won't play a prime-time...
Phase 1 of the offseason program is complete ✅ Take a look through the top photos: 49rs.co/ECv0HK https://t.co/1LatBQUgfvPhase 1 of the offseason program is complete ✅Take a look through the top photos: 49rs.co/ECv0HK https://t.co/1LatBQUgfv
- We’re back to see how opposing writers view the 49ers. ESPN’s staff projections are not pretty. The 2017 NFL schedule release means way too many way too early predictions. Earlier today, I joined in and offered up a 6-10 projection based on my first gut instinct.
Now, we’re back for a tradition I started a couple years back. ESPN has each of their 32 team writers put together immediate predictions on the schedule. The 49ers have been pretty bad the last couple years, so it is a
- Finishing the work week strong. 💪 https://t.co/HigFhQ6fpM
- Niners Wire - The 49ers should draft the best player to fit their system in the NFL instead of trying to find the best player...
- This is random. I am willing to bet money this will officially go down as the most random transaction of the 2017 offseason. The NFL posted the Friday transaction notice, and San Francisco 49ers running back Glen Coffee filed for reinstatement from the reserve/retired list, and was then waived by the 49ers.
The 49ers drafted Coffee in the third round of the 2009 NFL Draft, with the hope that he would become a solid complement to Frank Gore. Coffee rushed for 83 times for 226 yards in his rookie
- Take a closer look at the #49ers schedule with a game-by-game breakdown. 49rs.co/6YH2tN
- The 49ers have Joe Staley’s big contract, and then everybody else when it comes to their salary cap. The San Francisco 49ers signed restricted free agent offensive lineman Garry Gilliam to a one-year contract earlier this week. The Seattle Seahawks elected to not match the deal, and so Gilliam joins the 49ers.
The 49ers had reportedly offered Gilliam a multi-year deal, but he turned it down and eventually signed the one-year deal. NN cap expert Jason Hurley has the details of the contract.
- 49ers Webzone - If you blinked, you may have missed the return of running back Glen Coffee to the San Francisco 49ers. According to Doug Kyed, a New England Patriots beat reporter for NESN, the former 49ers running back has unretired...and was then released by the...
- Sacramento Bee - The San Francisco 49ers have the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL draft, which runs Thursday through Saturday, April 27-30, 2017. The Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows is breaking down the top five possibilities for the 49ers' top pick. Today, he analyzes LSU running back Leonard Fournette. ... Click to...
- Niners Wire - The San Francisco 49ers may have to decide if Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster is worth the risk at Round 2 in the NFL...
- Niners Wire - Ohio State safety Malik Hooker was given a positive prognosis surrounding his hip injuries leading up to the NFL draft. Will 49ers take...
- Multiple issues during the pre-draft process have seemingly hurt Reuben Foster’s draft stock. What if he drops to 34? Over the past month, the San Francisco 49ers were connected to linebacker Reuben Foster as an option at No. 2. There were multiple reports suggesting Foster and running back Leonard Fournette were both high on their draft board. Fournette very well still could be, but Foster’s status is in the air in light of multiple issues the past couple months.
Foster entered the
- Niners Wire - We take NFL draft questions from Twitter and try to figure out what the 49ers are going to do in John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan's first...
- The Mercury News - The 49ers may have added Pro Bowl center Jeremy Zuttah a month ago but they still lack quantity on the offensive...
- Where he goes in the draft is tough to say, but medical issues should not get in the way. One player high on the draft radar is Ohio State free safety Malik Hooker. He is competing with Jamal Adams to be the first safety off the board, and both make a lot of sense for the San Francisco 49ers at No. 2.
One of the notable issues about Hooker is durability. He had two surgeries this offseason, to his labrum and core muscle. He did not take part in the NFL Combine because of that, and while he had p
- We’ve got a look at what teams have had interest in what quarterbacks. The 2017 NFL draft could have as many as three or four quarterbacks drafted in the first round, but every single quarterback has serious question marks connected to them. There are questions about virtually every draft pick, but this year’s QB class has a lot of people unsure what to do with them.
The San Francisco 49ers were plenty busy with quarterbacks. They met with several at the Combine, and have since moved
- Pro Football Focus - San Francisco could use help at cornerback, and this year's draft is full of them. PFF offers a pair of names that could be perfect fits for the...
- NBC - It used to be that NFL teams leaned on one dominant back to power the running game.Over the years in San Francisco, that premier back was someone such as Joe Perry, Ken Willard, Roger Craig or Frank Gore, the type of players who carried 20 to 25 times per game. During the Niners' Super Bowl-winning...
- Information and statistics about all 16 games ahead for the 49ers in 2017 as well as notes about the schedule as a whole.
- We’ll keep our fingers crossed, but not get our hopes up. The Cleveland Browns seem all but certain to draft Texas A&M edge rusher Myles Garrett with the No. 1 overall pick. And yet, rumors persist that there is dissent within the Browns about how best to use the pick.
We’ve heard numerous rumors the team is interested in North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. Some suggested head coach Hue Jackson was interested, but he seemed to shoot down the idea of using the No. 1 pick
- The Mercury News - The 49ers could use the draft to restock a once-heralded linebacker corps and complement All-Pro NaVorro...
- The dates and times are official, and this means we also know when training camp can start. The San Francisco 49ers list of preseason opponents was released last week, and now that the regular season schedule has been released, we get the final list of dates and times for the preseason schedule.
Friday, August 11: @ Kansas City Chiefs, CBS, 6 p.m. PT
Saturday, August 19: vs. Denver Broncos, CBS, 7 p.m. PT
Sunday, August 27: @ Minnesota Vikings, NBC, 5 p.m. PT - National game
Thursday, August 31:
- NBCS Bay Area - Mindi Bach moderates a discussion with former NFL scout John Middlekauff about the upcoming...
- ESPN - The need for depth is obvious, so one way or another, it's a good bet the 49ers will walk away from this draft with at least one more safety in...
- The NN mock draft is back, and this year we’re hoping to go seven rounds. We move on to round 6! Welcome to the Niners Nation 2017 NFL mock draft. We’ve brought together 32 site members to potentially go through a full seven rounds of the 2017 NFL Draft. I say “potentially” because 253 picks is a lot to get through, even with a month remaining until the draft. But, fingers crossed we power through this.
We’re rolling along, and have moved through the fifth round. On
- NBC - Even though Candlestick Park is but a shadow of the once famous San Francisco landmark, some of the greats who thrived there will be celebrated on Sunday.Several 49ers and Giants legends, including Barry Bonds, Ronnie Lott, Bill Walsh and Orlando Cepeda, will be honored with streets named after...
142 days, 5 hours, and 25 minutes until we kick off against the @Panthers. Full schedule 👇 https://t.co/xLIOSVZo2u142 days, 5 hours, and 25 minutes until we kick off against the @Panthers. Full schedule 👇 https://t.co/xLIOSVZo2u
Follow @SF49ers_News_ on Twitter!