BENNINGTON >> The Select Board aims to find out whether or not the downtown can support a new hotel.
After discussing the matter at two previous meetings, the board voted unanimously on Monday to appoint a committee to negotiate the terms of a
- BURLINGTON >> A man accused of robbing a Bennington credit union in the spring now faces a federal indictment that he also robbed two banks late last year — one in Wilmington and another in South Burlington.
- ARLINGTON >> Members of the Select Board have expressed dissatisfaction with paving and curbing work done as part of the town's extensive water system upgrades.
The lead contractor on the water project has been Zaluzny Excavating Company, of
- MANCHESTER >> A group of Manchester residents wants the town to ask Burr and Burton Academy to take over the education of students who attend the town's public school.
Brian Vogel, a former Manchester Elementary Middle School board member,
- BENNINGTON >> State officials are warning Vermonters about low water levels, and are asking residents to report low or dry drinking water wells via an online form.
Due to unusually dry conditions throughout the spring and summer, the state
- POWNAL — Facing no major party opposition and an independent candidate he defeated in 2014, Rep. Bill Botzow, Pownal/Woodford, still isn't abandoning his time-consuming formula for electoral success.
- BENNINGTON — This Halloween weekend there are plenty of spooky activities across the region for trick-or-treaters of all ages to participate in. Here are some of the Halloween-themed events that we've heard about.
- MANCHESTER — Even though Fanning Hearon has worked at the Maple Street School since July, he partook in the establishment's traditional installation ceremony on Monday — formally being accepted by the students and Board of Trustees.
- ARLINGTON >> At the recommendation of the faculty, the Arlington School District board has adopted a three-year technology plan for the local schools.
The plan, which was presented to the board by computer and technology instructor Nicole
- BENNINGTON >> A Dorset woman is accused of giving a false report to police about a break-in at her home, then of attempting to bribe officers.
Betsy J. Zarucki, 56, pleaded not guilty Monday in Vermont Superior Court Criminal Division to a
- BENNINGTON >> Wind, rain and snow over a 24-hour period ending Sunday evening caused widespread power outages throughout Vermont, Green Mountain Power reported.
GMP Spokeswoman Dorothy Schnure said Monday that more than 14,000 electricity
- St. Albans, from Vermont Creamery, is modeled after a French variety.
- BENNINGTON >> Bernie Sanders demonstrated Saturday that his political rock star status hasn't faded, when nearly 700 people attended a rally in Bennington for Democrats seeking statewide offices and local House seats in the Nov.
- BENNINGTON >> A forum to be hosted on Tuesday by a working group under the state attorney general will collect input on the public's interactions with police.
It's part of a series. The third and final forum will look at how Vermonters have
- BENNINGTON >> Issues around the opioid epidemic will be the focus of a four-part series set to air on the local radio station this week.
Titled "The Grip of Addiction," WBTN-AM 1370 will broadcast each segment over the air and stream it online
- DORSET >> The Dorset reservoir has returned to a safe level after leaks in the water system were fixed by shutting off the water supply for several nights, according to the Dorset Fire District.
Jim McGinnis, water system technician, said
- BENNINGTON >> Sue Minter, Democratic candidate for Governor of Vermont, laid out her policies and plan during a meeting with a Banner editor and reporters on Wednesday.
The four-term member of the Vermont House and former secretary for the
- MANCHESTER -- It was the students' turn to ask questions last Friday at Burr and Burton Academy, and they were prepared.The students asked Lt. Gov. Phil Scott, the Republican candidate for governor, about education policy, affordable housing and
- MANCHESTER >> Who's picking up the slack for the Manchester and the Mountains Chamber of Commerce in its absence?
That was the overriding question facing the Manchester Select Board on Tuesday night, as the board approved spending on a
- LONDONDERRY >> A lone Canada lynx was photographed in the southern Vermont town of Londonderry this June, marking the first confirmed evidence of lynx in Vermont outside the Northeast Kingdom in decades.
- WARDSBORO >> The Vermont State Police released the shooter involved in a homicide on Tuesday night after they brought him in for questioning.
According to the Windham County State's Attorney's Office, Kevin Parker, 57, who was taken into
Bringing the past to our fingertips: Bennington Museum offers massive local photography collection on its new websiteBENNINGTON — Today, while professional and artistic photography remain disciplines of the trained eye and creativity, the ability to build a collection of pictures is as easy as pulling out a cell phone, clicking away, and saving.
- BENNINGTON — A replica of a Norman Rockwell painting, "Breaking Home Ties," (1954) sits in a gallery in Rhode Island until further notice.
The original? It was auctioned off for $15.4 million at Sotheby's in 2006, setting a record for the
- To help combat his state’s drug crisis, Gov. Peter Shumlin would use severity and duration of pain to determine limits for prescriptions of opioids.
- BENNINGTON — Democratic Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders will visit Bennington on Saturday to campaign for local candidates.
Rights and Democracy Vermont and the Vermont Political Revolution Fund are hosting an "Election Rally" at the Vermont
- WARDSBORO — The Vermont State Police has identified the victim of last night's shooting in Wardsboro as Kirby Staib, 42, of Wardsboro.
Kevin Parker, 57, also of Wardsboro, was taken into custody following the incident.Photo Gallery | Homicide investigation in Wardsboro
- BENNINGTON >> The Southwestern Vermont Medical Center wants to build a new heating plant on its campus, a project that aims to reduce the hospital's emissions and operating costs.
The project's development plan received preliminary approval
- WARDSBORO >> Detectives with the Vermont State Police are investigating a gunshot death on Gilfeather Road.
At just before 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wardsboro Rescue and Rescue Inc. were advised to set up a staging area at the Wardsboro Fire Department
- SHAFTSBURY >> At its Nov. 7 meeting, the Select Board will formally vote on whether to make the proposed site on North Road the official site for a new town garage that will appear on the ballot this March.
- BENNINGTON >> Typically, apple picking season runs from the second week in August to the end of October, but this year some orchards were closed by the beginning of October, or before.Ever since March 2010, apple crops have clicked into a
- SHOREHAM >> The ferry that carries motorists across Lake Champlain between Shoreham, Vermont, and Ticonderoga, New York, is closing for the season early because of low water in the lake.
The Fort Ticonderoga Ferry that is pulled by a cable
- Andrew J. Hall, a trader and owner of an art museum, is suing a former professor who he says sold him fake Leon Golub paintings.
- ARLINGTON >> The owner of Camping on the Battenkill has turned down a FEMA grant that would have aided with reconstruction after Tropical Storm Irene.
Lesley Nase, who owns the campground along with her brother, Peter Pratt, said in a letter
- Officials worry that the United States’ northern border, much of it remote, is vulnerable to exploitation by criminal enterprises and possible terrorists.
- BENNINGTON >> To some, Shirley Jackson was known as a mother and housewife, but to most of the public, she was seen as a writer of psychological thrillers.Ruth Franklin elaborates on both personas in Jackson's new biography "Shirley Jackson:
- MANCHESTER>>The Equinox Valley Nursery will hold its 10th annual Pumpkin Carving and Harvest Festival on Saturday to benefit the Manchester Community Food Cupboard.
The event brings in about 3,000 attendees by the days end, nursery co-owner
- HOOSICK FALLS, N.Y. >> Two new "permanant" filters at the village's water treatment plant will be online by the winter, officials say.
The new system will replace the "temporary" filters installed at the plant in February.
- NORTH BENNINGTON >> With their positions still unclear, the North Bennington and Shaftsbury school boards continue to search for solutions to how to come into compliance with Act 46.
Districts of the Southwest Vermont Supervisory Union have
- BENNINGTON >> It could be that a commercial real estate surge is creeping up on the town of Bennington.
A flurry of interest in business property in three locations, a new super-size Walmart and its facilitating roundabout, and a handful of
- MANCHESTER — Inside the Orvis flagship store in Manchester Center on Saturday, visitors, and some of their dogs, shopped, sipped hot cider in front of the fireplace and had a chance to learn about outdoor sports.
- BENNINGTON — A man who led three police agencies on a chase from Clarendon to Arlington, forcing multiple vehicles off the road and causing several police officers to fear for their lives, is being held without bail.
- EAST DORSET — Engineered Printing Solutions is on its way to becoming a global company.
It was acquired by XAAR Innovative Inkjet Technology from Huntingdon, UK on July 1.
"By acquiring us they wanted to leverage their connections by using us
- BENNINGTON — The Shutterbug Club, a group of local photographers, will have an exhibition of nature photography on display at the One World Conservation Center through at least the end of the year.
- BENNINGTON — Local police are no longer field testing suspected opioids, citing safety concerns."We're at a point now where some of the stuff we're finding is too dangerous to field test," said Bennington Police Chief Paul Doucette.
- HOOSICK FALLS, N.Y. — Federal environmental officials will be in the village later this month to explain the Superfund clean-up process.
A public meeting is slated for Monday, Oct. 24, from 6 to 7:30 p.
- BURLINGTON >> The man police say is responsible for a wrong-way driving crash on I-89 that killed five teens over the weekend had sought medical help less than 24 hours earlier, court documents show.
- MANCHESTER >> A funding mechanism that could put the Manchester Rescue Squad on a more predictable financial footing is among the topics the Manchester Select Board will take up when it next meets at 7 p.
- DORSET >> The nation is saturated with community theaters, and I've been to many of them from one coast to the other. A small handful approach the abilities of professional companies.
The Dorset Players is one of that handful, and have the
- BENNINGTON >> With theaters across the country commemorating the 100th anniversary of Arthur Miller's birth for the past year, Oldcastle Theatre Company is taking a less-travelled path as its offering to the centennial with its final 2016
- ARLINGTON — Instead of squatting down to pick up a log that was just cut, Jon Roberts invented a tool to save loggers time and back pain in the woods.With the help of three seniors at Burr & Burton Academy, Roberts is amping up promotion
Follow @NewsVermont_ on Twitter!