- Colton Sissons and James Neal both scored twice to lead the Nashville Predators over the staggering San Jose Sharks 7-2
- Laughter, music and the tapping of dances reverberated throughout a public memorial to Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher, which loved ones say is just how the actresses would have wanted it
- See this story at BrooklynPaper.com.By Lenore Skenazyfor Brooklyn PaperCongratulations, you’re going to have a baby! Would you like to know if, 50 years or so down the line, he or she might develop colon cancer? And by the way, the baby may also have a slightly increased risk of Alzheimer’s. Would you like to know about that, too?
Aieee! These are not the questions any of us have ever had to answer — till now. Thanks to an ever-expanding arsenal of genetic testing, sometimes at
- "Saturday Night Live" star Michael Che (CHAY) is not backing away from comments he made about Boston, when he called it the "most racist city" he has ever visited
- A two-sport star at a suburban Pittsburgh high school has been ordered to stand trial on rape charges in an alleged assault on a 17-year-old girl
- Stars and fans will gather Saturday for a public memorial to honor late actresses Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher
- Police in Virginia have arrested a man who was dressed as comic book villain the Joker and reportedly carrying a sword
- See this story at BrooklynDaily.com.Long Island UniversityBrooklyn DailyHe’s been pushed out of the nest.Long Island University Brooklyn has fired head men’s basketball coach Jack Perri, who spent five seasons with the program.Perri — the Blackbirds’ 13th head coach — led the team to an overall record of 77–79 during his time on the sidelines. He wrapped up this past season with a 20–12 record and a second-place finish in the Northeast Conference. The ye
- See this story at BrooklynDaily.com.By Laura AmatoBrooklyn DailyFor the Marquardts, basketball has long been something of a family affair.Molloy College head coach Charles Marquardt and his son, former Poly Prep standout Charlie Marquardt, have been the driving force behind the Lions success over the last four seasons: a father-son duo that has helped jumpstart the program. And although Molloy came up short of its ultimate goal this year — falling in overtime to Saint Thomas Aquinas in the
- Giannis Antetokounmpo picked up his second straight double-double with 34 points and 13 rebounds, and the Milwaukee Bucks held on in the closing minutes for a 100-97 win over the Atlanta Hawks
- The Lakers have honored Shaquille O'Neal with a bronze statue of the Hall of Fame center who helped them to three consecutive NBA titles in better days
- Jimmie Johnson plans to start from the back when he defends his Fontana title after a spin during practice wrecked his primary car
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. will join an exclusive club this weekend when he runs his 600th NASCAR race
- Guests includedNoel Gallagher, Savages' Jehnny Beth, Danny Brown, Pusha T, Kelela, De La Soul, Benjamin Clementine, Anthony Hamilton, Kali Uchis and more.
- President Trump goes old school, surprising two newspaper reporters with calls saying he was pulling health care bill from consideration
- Goldenvoice is offering a year of free identity protection services to users who may have been effected in the hack on the Coachella site earlier this year.
- Turner Classic Movies will continue memorializing Robert Osborne at the TCM Classic Film Festival in Los Angeles next month
- Dustin Johnson and Phil Mickelson sure had an easy time getting to the round of 16 in Match Play
- The new album is called 'Tremendous Sea of Love.'
- Authorities have cuffed a man charged with stealing Grammy winner John Legend's Louis Vuitton bag containing $25,000 Cartier cufflinks from an airport luggage cart in New York
- A lawmaker who battled to save the life of a police officer stabbed in the Parliament attack has been honored with an appointment as an adviser to Queen Elizabeth II
- A melee has erupted at a hearing for a pair charged in the deaths of two men found in a burning car owned by a woman who appears on "The Real Housewives of New Jersey."
- The album was produced by Sean Lennon and features guest appearances by Sean's mom, Yoko Ono, as well as Saul of Fat White Family.
- As you may have seen on this very site yesterday, or elsewhere around the internet, Brooklyn’s very own Northside Festival, organized by our parent company, Northside Media, is returning this summer from June 7-11 for five days of music and innovation glory. Headlining the music portion of those events are shows held in Williamsburg’s McCarren Park, and now the opporutunity has arrived to ensure that your chance to be a part doesn’t go for naught.
Tickets are available now
- Given another chance, Kevin Na advanced to the weekend at the Match Play
- Netflix is doubling down on Adam Sandler with the streaming giant extending its deal with the comedian for four more feature films
- A joke about the city of Newark, New Jersey, on Fox's "The Mindy Project" led to dinner plans between U.S. Sen. Cory Booker and star Mindy Kaling
- A steady stream of light reaches into Hannah Jewett’s home studio—it makes the silver chains suspended on the wall, the geometric shapes stacked in clear bins, and the panels of lucite in various compositions, gleam. It’s a minimal space, but all of the objects within it are striking and confident. Jewett describes herself as an accessories, clothing, and lifestyle designer that just left her full time job to keep up with the jewelry orders that have been pouring
- An A-list actor and an up-and-coming actress fall in love and then into a contract marriage in the new E! drama series "The Arrangement."
- A hug, a wink, a dance, a non-answer _ these are the so-called gay moments in a handful of recent high-profile studio movies from the last year that have sparked both rapturous celebration and startling backlash, but is it progress
- Musicians from one of America's top concert halls have returned to South Carolina this week, making beautiful music in one of the state's most dangerous prisons in a collaborative process that helps the inmates with more than just harmony
- Need a soundtrack for your end-of-the-world party? This might be it.Continue reading…
- Glenn Jacobs, better known as the towering WWE villain Kane, is stepping into the political ring with a bid for mayor in Tennessee
- In her new book, 'Ballerina Body,' dancer Misty Copeland explains how ordinary people can achieve strength and agility _ their own 'ballerina bodies' _ through exercise, better eating and the right mindset
- John Mayer's new single "Still Feel Like Your Man" is about ex-girlfriend Katy Perry
- It's the 50th anniversary of krautrock icons Can, and that The Can Project show -- featuring founding member Irmin Schmidt, original vocalist Malcolm Mooney, as well as Sonic Youth’s Thurston Moore and Steve Shelley...
- Barry Manilow, the Grammy-winning singer of songs such as "Mandy," "I Write the Songs" and "Looks Like We Made It," will appear at the next monthly "Concert for America: Stand Up, Sing Out!" on April 18 at The Town Hall in New York City
- This week's Notable Releases include Pallbearer's catchiest LP yet, Mount Eerie's truly heartbreaking new album, Kelly Lee Owens' impressive debut, and more.
- It's the latest song in the 'Our First 100 Days' series.
- See this story at BrooklynDaily.com.By Caroline SpivackBrooklyn DailyIt is a slippery slope from the Slope!A Sunset Park panel slammed the brakes on the city’s plan to paint a bike lane on Seventh Avenue on Wednesday, with some arguing that it will roll out the red carpet for Park Slope yuppies to invade the neighborhood while failing in its actual goal of filling gaps in the bike-lane grid.
“The people in Park Slope have come to the conclusion that they need a bike lane on Seventh A
- Long Island indie/punk band GreenSleep were initially around in the early/mid '90s before splitting up after releasing just one album, 1995's self-titled LP, and some EPs. They did a few one-off reunions over the years, and in 2014 they officially got back together. They've done a few more EPs, and now they're releasing their first album since 1995...
- Skronky Los Angeles band French Vanilla released their self-titled debut album today. If you like your music danceable with healthy doses of angst and angles...
- New Jersey's largest public university will still offer $35,000 to this year's commencement speaker even if Republican Gov. Chris Christie approves a bill capping what colleges can pay speakers
- (Curator Nicholas Cueva with Daniel Dennett’s “Haptic Whittles” at Underdonk)
At first Daniel Dennett wasn’t sure showing his whittles at Underdonk was a good idea. Not because it’s a small gallery in Bushwick, but because it’s a gallery at all, and Daniel Dennett is a philosopher (specifically, a seventy-four-year-old professor of philosophy at Tufts), not a gallery-pandering, wallet-kissing art worlder.
According to this recent New Yorker p
- Here are two things that are currently true: Brooklyn residents have a lot of pent up frustration about our political climate, and punching—and kicking, and jabbing—(inanimate!) things is fun. That is why kickboxing, in addition to being an exceptionally enjoyable workout, as it engages just about every muscle in the body, also does wonders for our holistic health. Take advantage of the current popularity of the sport, and visit any one of these martial arts and kickboxing centers in
- Oh, what Chipotle has wrought.
While the concept of a mom-and-pop restaurant seems to be teetering on the edge of extinction, the endlessly scaleable, farm-to-table fast-casual concept—featuring wild caught poke, antiobiotic-free chicken sandwiches, and quinoa bowls instead of burgers and fries—is having its day in the sun. And Downtown Brooklyn is perfectly positioned for a healthful franchise invasion, with its ring of secondary schools, concentrated transportation network, and env
- Katy Perry, Maroon 5 and One Direction's Niall Horan are set to perform at the annual Wango Tango concert near Los Angeles
- Kendrick Lamar called out rappers by name in his infamous "Control" verse released in 2013, but the internet is playing a guessing game about his target in a new song
- I, Olga HepnarováDirected by Petr Kazda and Tomás WeinrebOpens March 24 at the Village East
A biopic without the triumph, and a bildungsroman without the progress, the European co-production I, Olga Hepnarová, the coolly poised feature debut of writer-directors Petr Kazda and Tomás Weinreb, depicts a drumbeat of humiliations and rejections as they’re processed by an increasingly malignant personality. Shot in steely black and white through a constant plume
- Disney CEO Bob Iger says the upcoming "Star Wars" sequel has not been changed due to the death of Carrie Fisher
Follow @NY_BrooklynNews on Twitter!