(Rocky Hill, Conn./CBS Connecticut) – Fire in Rocky Hill early this morning turns deadly.
The 911 call came in from a neighbor at around a quarter after 3 to the house at 65 Walnut Road.
Police that arrived on scene say the blaze was located in the rear of the structure, which was fully involved.
Fire crews were able to make quick work of the blaze but a search of the home turned up the two victims, dead at the scene.
Rocky Hill police detectives, along with the town and state fire marshal
- ROCKY HILL — Two people are dead after a fire erupted in a home on Walnut Road in Rocky Hill. According to Assistant Fire Cheif David Kromas, a call came in around 3:14 a.m. from a neighbor reporting that the house at 65 Walnut Road was on fire. Upon arrival, heavy fire was seen from two sides of the house, in which they deployed a heavy interior fire attack. The Rocky Hill Fire department was able to knock down the […]
- Fire officials say that a man and woman are dead this morning, following an overnight fire at 65 Walnut Road in Rocky Hill.Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
- HARTFORD — New Britain’s Trinene Davis is a children’s author. She focuses and empowering young people and helping them to cope with such things as adversity, transitions – and grieving for a loved one. Her latest book, “The Butterfly in Me,” deals with a young girl who is saddened and confused by the death of a favorite cousin. She uses her books to help empower young navigate and cope with life issues.
- HARTFORD — Time for a little political chatter on The Stan Simpson Show. Courant Capital Bureau Chief Chris Keating updates us on the very latest including a Connecticut tie to Donald Trump’s future cabinet. President-elect Donald Trump has nominated Linda McMahon to head the Small Business Administration in his Cabinet. McMahon previously served as CEO of the World Wrestling Entertainment, which is based in Stamford, Connecticut. In a statement from his transition team, Trump said h
- TACOMA, Wash. – Mario Woodworth brought his family to pay their respects for fallen Tacoma, Washington, police officer Jake Gutierrez. With temperatures in the 30s Friday, Mario and his 6-year-old daughter, Izabel, decided to buy coffee for officers manning a roadblock for the funeral procession as a simple way to say thank you, according to KCPQ-TV. Speaking of police officers in general, Mario said, “There’s a good chance that they might not come home, they might n
- A video released to NBC Connecticut shows an early morning highway rescue.Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police
- NEW HYDE PARK, N.Y. — A Muslim teen who said she was harassed and called a terrorist while riding the subway last week has been reported missing, police confirmed. An alert was issued by police Friday evening saying Yasmin Seweid, 18, had been missing since Wednesday. She was last seen leaving her home in New Hyde Park, Long Island at 8 p.m., according to WPIX-TV. Last week, Seweid spoke out about being harassed at the 23rd Street subway station by three men […]
- The season's first widespread wintry mix is on the way.This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.
- The Capitol Region Development Authority's board voted Thursday night by a margin of 8-1, that it would pursue a plan that would renovate the aging XL Center, to the tune of $250 million.Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
- There's talk of a new $15 million hotel project being built on an empty parcel of land in the Fort Trumbull area.Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
- Two people were arrested for kidnapping a woman in New London on Friday.Photo Credit: New London Police
- FAIRFIELD –This is the time of year when many of us get phone calls asking for a charitable donation, but it’s important for you to know exactly where your money is going, so that you don’t fall victim to a scams like others in the state. Many people have been getting phone calls asking for donations to the Connecticut Police Chiefs Association, it’s a real organization that represents all the police departments in the state of Connecticut, but these recent phone [&h
- HARTFORD — Some post offices will be open Sunday December 11 and 18 to accommodate people mailing packages for the holidays. The Postal Service predicts that December 19 will be the busiest day of the year. Cheshire 06410 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Darien 06820 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Fairfield – Main office 06825 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Greenwich 06831 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Glastonbury
- WEST HARTFORD — Police are using security camera video to determine if a man arrested by Hartford police could be linked to similar crimes in West Hartford. Police said the suspect, Isaih Riggins, 20, was arrested in Hartford on Thursday in connection with the theft of packages that had been delivered to homes. Police in West Hartford determined Riggins resembled the person seen on security cameras stealing packages from a home on Simsbury Road on Wednesday. West Hartford police
- WALLINGFORD — A man who was paralyzed in a diving accident last summer proposed to his girlfriend with the help of his therapists Thursday. Joe Graham, 29, broke his neck and crushed vertebrae when he dove into a pool this past July. At the time he was told he would be on a ventilator to help him breathe for the rest of his life. According to Gaylord Hospital, while he was In the intensive care unit, his girlfriend Tonya told him she […]
- CAIRO — Two bombs killed six police officers and a civilian on Friday, according to Egyptian state media. One bomb went off in Giza’s Haram district on the street leading to the pyramids, killing the officers and wounding three others, state-owned Al-Ahram newspaper reported. A second bomb in Kafr El-Sheikh killed one civilian motorist and wounded three police officers. That bomb apparently targeted a police vehicle. There was no immediate credible claim of responsibility for either
- LOS ANGELES — Joseph Mascolo, who played bad guy Stefano DiMera on NBC’s daytime serial “Days of Our Lives,” has died. He was 87. A statement released Friday by NBC on behalf of Mascolo’s wife said he died Wednesday after a long battle with Alzheimer’s disease. Mascolo was born in West Hartford. Although best known for his soap opera role, Mascolo was a classically trained musician and appeared on Broadway in plays including “Dinner at Eight”
Bristol nun receives hearing aids, will be able to hear her students clearly for the first time in yearsBRISTOL — After years of struggling, a local nun finally received life-changing hearing aids. Sister Elizabeth Reyes just received new hearing aids after her friends recommended she get her ears checked out and can hear clearly for the first time in years. “I didn’t think I needed hearing aids, but, I can see the difference. When I would talk with her and she would get mad because she doesn’t understand. Then, I’d get mad because she doesn’t talk loud en
- MORÓN, Argentina – A 42-year-old pedophile who was convicted of molesting five preschool children died this week, more than a month after he was beaten by a group of angry parents at a church concert in Argentina, according to multiple reports. Marco Fabian Pecollo was playing the trumpet in an orchestra at a church in the Buenos Aires suburb of Morón on Oct. 30 when the group of parents stormed the cathedral yelling, “There is a pedophile and a rapist in […
- Is your credit rating in the dumps? Recognizing that you have a problem is the first step toward credit redemption. However, there are many pitfalls along the way that can delay (or even completely derail) your path toward improved credit. Five of the more important ones are listed below. 1. Fail to Check Your Credit Reports – If you don’t check your credit periodically, how can you tell if you are making progress? You can check your credit score and […]
- MARYSVILLE, Calif. – Often we have to say goodbye to our pets, but sometimes pets have to say goodbye to us. Heartbreaking video of the moment a dog had to say goodbye to her owner has gone viral. For more stories about pets and animals, click here. Ryan Jessen, 33, thought he had a severe migraine. However, he was hospitalized and diagnosed with a fatal ventricular brain hemorrhage. During Jessen’s final moments, his loved ones gathered around his hospital bed to […]
- HARTFORD — This weekend four state football titles will be decided with two being played in West Haven and the other two in New Britain. The first game scheduled at New Britain the Class S title features two programs with vastly different levels of post season experience. The Ansonia Chargers are hoping to win the programs 20th state title, while the Terriers of Rocky Hill are making their first appearance in a state championship game. While the two teams may […]
- The coldest air-mass of the season has moved into our neck of the woods with gusty northwest wind, and wind chill in the teens and 20s. Tonight temperatures will bottom out in the teen and 20s under a mostly clear sky. At least the wind will diminish overnight. The heart of the cold air arrives Saturday with highs only in the low 30s. Once again, the breeze will make it feel a lot cooler with gusts up to 20-25 mph. […]
- Elvis Alejandro takes pride in decorating The Dressing Room’s storefront for the holiday season.Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut
- NEW HAVEN — Last week, some 12 tons of trash was removed from a New Haven homeless encampment, near I-91. Now, the city wants all the occupants out. “For them to kick us out, on the (Dec.) 15th, that’s like a bitter pill right now,” said Lora Weeks, who has lived with her husband in the encampment since last spring. Nearby residents have complained about the filth and untoward activity. City housing officials determined those factors, coupled with
- HARTFORD — The man accused in three Hartford cold case murders from Summer 2008 faced a judge on Friday. In Hartford Superior Court, bail for Harold Peterson, 34 of Hartford, was set at $3 million. Peterson is accused of fatally shooting one man in June of 2008 then using the same gun to kill two more men in an unrelated incident two months later. He was arrested Thursday after an investigation by the Cold Case Unit of the Office of […]
- ELLINGTON — A motorcyclist was injured in crash with a septic truck Friday afternoon. The accident happened at 38 West St. after 5 p.m. The road was closed for the investigation. The victim suffered life-threatening injuries and was taken to Rockville General Hospital where Lifestar will transport them to a different hospital. Check back for further details as they develop.
- ELLINGTON — A motorcyclist was injured in crash with a truck Friday afternoon. The accident happened at 38 West St. after 5 p.m. The victim was taken to Rockville General Hospital where Lifestar will transport to a different hospital. Check back for further details as they develop.
- Joseph Mascolo, the West Hartford-native who played the infamous Stefano DiMera on "Days of Our Lives" died on Friday.Photo Credit: AP
- By Chuck Carroll
Jeff Hardy is one interesting dude. There really isn’t another way to put it. He’s a modern-day renaissance man: world-champion wrestler, painter, musician, husband, father. His life has played out better than any Hollywood script ever written. He’s gone from on top of the wrestling world to behind bars only to resurrect his career and rise like a Phoenix from the ashes.
He seems happy now. Perhaps that’s because his life is full. As a wrestler, he and hi
- A Suffield police officer answered the call when he heard about a goose in distress.Photo Credit: Suffield Police
- HARTFORD — Gov. Dannel P. Malloy says he’s reached an agreement with state employee union officials to restructure the state’s pension payments to help avoid massive payments anticipated in the future. Friday’s deal was reached after months of negotiations with the State Employee Bargaining Agent Coalition. It still requires legislative approval. The Democrat said it will help avoid “the fiscal cliff the state would otherwise face in the coming years.” Malloy
- By SUSAN HAIGHAssociated Press
STONINGTON, Conn. (CBS Connecticut and AP) – A historic wharf in Connecticut that was used as a gangway for wagons to unload 19th-century schooners is moving closer toward having a new, more modern purpose.
The U.S. Senate on Friday was expected to consider legislation that transfers control of the massive stone wharf from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to the town of Stonington. Besides wanting to restore it, local officials believe a renovated wharf will
- Embers from a wooden stove that were left in a metal can by the garage sparked a two-alarm fire that displaced two Danbury residents on Friday morning, officials said.Photo Credit: NBC 7
- Mystic Seaport wants to become a year-round destination and a new $15 million project is making that possible.Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
- HARTFORD, Conn. (CBS Connecticut and AP) – Hartford police have charged nine juveniles in connection with a destructive flash mob robbery of a convenience store last month and say more will likely be charged.
They were referred to juvenile court
Deputy Chief Brian Foley says investigators have identified more than 25 youths who allegedly ransacked the Shell station on Capitol Avenue around 10 p.m. on Nov. 26.
As many as 40 youths who had just left a party caused an estimated $4,000 in dama
- West Hartford police are investigating several thefts of packages in recent weeks and said home security cameras have captured the thefts and provided images of the people responsible.Photo Credit: West Hartford Police
- (CBS Connecticut) — When Harold Patterson was led into a Hartford Superior Court courtroom today to face charges in three murders, waiting for him were relatives of some of the three men he is accused of gunning down.
The mother of victim Carlos “Chuck” Ortiz, Marie Galindo, welcomed news of the arrest.
“[It is] what I have been waiting for a very long time. I didn’t know if I would live to see the day,” Galindo said. “Thank God the cold case
- DANBURY — Embers from a wood stove likely caused a serious fire in Danbury Friday morning. The homeowner had just transferred embers to a metal can near the garage when he discovered the fire about 15 minutes, according to the Fire Marshall’s Office. It all started around 9:47 a.m. Friday at a home on Forty Acres Mountain Road. Fire departments from Brookfield and Bethel also responded. There are no hydrants in the area so tanker trucks were called in to […]
- The governor and the State Employees Bargaining Agent Coalition have reached an agreement to fully fund the state’s pension obligations and the plan will go to the state General Assembly for approval.
Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
- (Hartford, Conn./CBS Connecticut) – This is arguably the busiest time of year for the U.S. Postal Service from now through Christmas week.
The service expects to deliver some 600-million pieces of mail on December 19 alone.
Christine Dugas, a spokewoman for the postal service for Connecticut, says the earlier the better for those mailing holiday cards and packages.
She says if you are mailing cards and packages, get them out as soon as possible to avoid the rush.
Dugas says for the procras
- HARTFORD — Hartford police have arrested nine teens on juvenile offenses after the community came together to identify those involved in a flash mob robbery at a gas station. Police said Friday that nine people were referred to juvenile court, and as many as 25 more teens have been identified. Police are “working with prosecutor to develop fair outcome,” Deputy Chief Brian Foley said. Last month, dozens of juveniles were caught on camera looting a gas station.&nb
- PROVIDENCE, R.I. (CBS Connecticut and AP) – U.S. Sen. Jack Reed says Congress has passed a bill that will help battle Lyme disease.
The Lyme and Tick-Borne Disease Prevention, Education, and Research Act backed by the Rhode Island Democrat as well as Democratic U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut and Republican U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire will expand federal research efforts to increase surveillance, enhance prevention efforts, and help improve tests to diagnose and tre
- SHELTON, Conn. (CBS Connecticut and AP) – Police are thanking alert neighbors for notifying them about a woman spotted allegedly stealing packages delivered by UPS from homes in Shelton.
The Connecticut Post reports that officers went to the Aspetuck Village Condominiums on Thursday for reports of a so-called “porch pirate” taking packages left outside by UPS.
The woman was gone before police arrived, but based on witness descriptions, including the license plate of her car, po
- Chaz and A.J hold annual toy drive in New Haven
- A memorial service was held Thursday for Thor, a 3-year-old Wethersfield police dog that died from injuries sustained while pursuing a kidnapping suspect and several officers paid their respects.Photo Credit: Wethersfield PoliceThis story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.
Follow @NewsConnectic on Twitter!