GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — Aaron Rodgers threw for 326 yards and three touchdowns, Davante Adams and Ty Montgomery emerged as playmakers in the second half and the Green Bay Packers beat the offensively challenged Chicago Bears 26-10 on Thursday night.
Rodgers was 39 of 56, setting a franchise record for completions in a game in the Packers’ first contest without injured running back Eddie Lacy .
The Packers (4-2) moved effectively on short gains most of the night, but couldn&r
- By Stan Bush
DENVER (CBS4) – Murder charges have been filed in the shooting death of a 15-year-old in Denver’s Whittier neighborhood.
On Oct. 9, Keylin Mosley and another 14-year-old boy hopped a fence and were allegedly shot by 48-year-old Keith Hammock from a second story bedroom window. Investigators discovered Hammock was illegally growing marijuana in his backyard.
Keylin Mosley (credit: CBS)
During their investigation Denver police learned that a year ago Hammock had shot
- By Jeff Todd
DENVER (CBS4) – Residents in the west Denver metro area are going to need to find a new way to get to the airport in November.
The A Line to the Denver International Airport shuttle has been running from Olde Town Arvada to DIA since 2003. But the nonprofit shuttle has been heavily subsidized by the Regional Transportation District and knew the money was going to dry up with the G Line train opens this fall.
The train’s opening has been delayed until issues with RTD&rsqu
- COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (CBS4) – Colorado Springs police posted a picture of an ATM machine in parts outside a Walgreen’s.
The thieves were only able to pull the machine out the front doors at the store located at the corner of Flintridge and North Academy.
They took off without the machine and without any money.
Suspect descriptions aren’t currently available other than all involved were men between 5-foot-8 and 6-foot-2.
The suspects were driving a white van.
- TAMPA, Fla. (AP) – Matt Duchene broke out of an offensive slump and Semyon Varlamov was strong again as the Colorado Avalanche are putting together a solid road trip.
Duchene had two goals and an assist, Varlamov made 27 saves for his 21st career shutout and the Avalanche beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 4-0 on Thursday night.
“He’s a big horse for us,” Avalanche right wing Jarome Iginla said of Duchene. “He’s been good the first few games, but tonight he took it
- ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) – Linebacker Brandon Marshall said the Broncos want to kill Brock Osweiler – metaphorically, of course. The Texans quarterback tried to kill his former teammates – with kindness.
The ex-Broncos QB said more than a dozen times during a conference call with Denver media Thursday that he had nothing but love, gratitude, respect or appreciation for his old teammates, organization, coaches, city and its fans.
He conceded that maybe he should have chosen his wor
- The Scream Scram 5K is a different kind of run that is focused on kids and takes place Friday evening. The event also benefits the Boys and Girls Clubs of Metro Denver.
- By Ed GreeneDENVER (CBS4) – That Freeze Warning paid off: the official low at the airport was just 25 degrees (only 4 degrees off the record low for the date of 21 from 1995); the low downtown was 31.Thursday then saw plenty of sunshine as the high rose to 63 and that is just about normal for this time of year.Now the high temperatures will begin to push well above normal and stay there for the next several days.Sunny with a high in the low 70s to end the week; plenty of sunshine for the w
- By Rick Sallinger
DENVER (CBS4) – It’s okay to take a selfie with a ballot in hand, but don’t you dare show who you voted for. Colorado Secretary of State Wayne Williams says it’s a misdemeanor that carries up to a $1,000 fine and up to a year in jail.
“The reason for that is the possibility of selling the vote or trading the vote for something,” Williams told CBS4’s Rick Sallinger.
He said the pictures could be used as proof for payment th
- By Andrea Flores
DENVER (CBS4) – Students at Metro State University of Denver say getting fake calls from the IRS isn’t uncommon.
Now, a nationwide phone scam is tricking students out of thousands of dollars. Authorities say crooks are demanding credit card information, and even gift cards.
Jessica Meredith, a senior at Metro State, is no stranger to fake phone calls.
(credit: Scott Halleran/Getty Images)
“I hang up or I delete the voicemail,” said Meredith of phone scams
- By Chris Spears
DENVER (CBS4) – A report released Thursday by the U.S. Drought Monitor showed drought conditions growing across parts of Colorado.
An area of moderate drought that formed during late summer around Fort Collins has expanded south across Denver and into Douglas County, impacting over 1.5 million people. A second pocket of moderate drought can be found on the east-central plains.
In the nearby mountains and foothills conditions are abnormally dry, or in pre-drought. The same i
- BOULDER, Colo. (CBS4) – Colorado’s Front Range has become a tryout area for new productions and one of them is now playing at BDT Stage in Boulder.
Critic at Large Greg Moody reviewed “Midlife 2: What Did I Come In Here For?” at the venue formally known as the Boulder Dinner Theatre.
“A lot of shows, a lot of performers (in Colorado) are destined for New York stages and we get them first,” Moody said.
Moody says “Midlife 2” takes the
- FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) – Colorado State extended basketball coach Larry Eustachy’s contract Thursday through the 2020-21 season, adding a year to his existing deal.
Eustachy enters the season 11 wins away from 500 for his Division I career.
The 60-year-old Eustachy took over at Colorado State in 2012. He’s 87-48 with the Rams, including an NCAA Tournament appearance during his first season in charge.
Athletic director Joe Parker says he’s “excited about what the f
- WESTCLIFFE, Colo. (AP) – Some residents evacuated by a southern Colorado wildfire that has burned five homes are being allowed back home.
Evacuation orders for some residents near Beulah in Pueblo County were lifted Thursday morning but remained in place for the bulk of the over 250 homes evacuated by the Junkins Fire, most of them in Custer County.
Firefighters say they made good progress fighting the 26 square mile fire on Wednesday and have been able to contain 3 percent o
- VAIL, Colo. (AP) – Arapahoe Basin will be the first Colorado ski resort to open for the season.
The resort will open Friday with its Black Mountain Express lift starting at 9 a.m. Only the intermediate High Noon run will be open.
An Arapahoe Basin spokeswoman says it could still be awhile before more runs are available.
(credit: Arapahoe Basin/Camara Photography)
The ski area, which sits at 10,780 feet, stayed open last season until mid-June and starting making snow Oct. 3.
Officials at th
- DENVER (CBS4) – Gov. John Hickenlooper wasted no time in casting his ballot this week. Colorado’s governor dropped it off Thursday morning at a Denver ballot dropoff location.
Hickenlooper said he was excited to vote for what he says will be the first woman president in the history of the country — his party’s nominee Hillary Clinton.
Gov. John Hickenlooper a few seconds before dropping off his ballot on Thursday (credit: CBS)
Hickenlooper also spoke about Donald Trump&rs
- DENVER (CBS4) – Denver’s district attorney has filed murder charges against a marijuana grower who is suspected of shooting two teenagers who were in his backyard.
Keith Hammock, 48, now faces first degree murder charges in addition to several attempted murder charges and other drug-related charges.
Keith Hammock (credit: Denver DA)
The incident happened early in the morning on Oct. 9 on the 2800 block of High Street in Denver’s Whittier neighborhood. Authorities say Hammock sh
- GREELEY, Colo. (CBS4) – A man in Greeley is accused of beating of his pregnant girlfriend with dumbbells used for weight lifting.
Manuel Rodriguez (credit: Weld County)
Manuel Ramos, 25, now faces attempted murder charges.
Police say they found Rodriguez standing over the victim on Sunday. She is in the seventh month of her pregnancy.
Ramos is now in jail now on a $150,000 bond.
- By Josh Lederman and Julie Pace, The Associated PressWASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump opened the door Thursday to the the possibility he’ll contest the results of the presidential election if there’s a “questionable result,” teasingly promising to fully accept the outcome “if I win.”
The Republican presidential nominee said he was reserving his right to “contest or file a legal challenge” if he loses. The comments came a day after he sent shock
- PAONIA, Colo. (AP) – The Colorado Department of Transportation says a state highway closed by a rock slide north of Paonia probably won’t reopen until the weekend.
The rock slide left over 100 tons of debris on Colorado 133 at the north end of Paonia Reservoir on McClure Pass. CDOT says it caused extensive damage to the road and a concrete barrier but no vehicles were hit.
Crews were working Thursday to determine the extent of rock scaling that will be needed to prevent future slides
- By Brian Maass
(CBS4) – An official government obituary for presidential candidate Donald Trump has already been written, according to the federal government.
According to the federal government’s Broadcasting Board of Governors, which oversees Voice of America, Radio Free Europe and numerous other government sponsored radio and TV networks, the agency has obituaries prepared for Trump and hundreds of other world leaders and celebrities in the event of their deaths.
Responding to a 2
- BROOMFIELD, Colo. (CBS4) – A man who got trapped under his semi on Highway 128 in southeast Boulder County Thursday morning has died.
The Boulder County Sheriff’s Department told CBS4 the man was doing something to the back wheels of the truck when it rolled forward, trapping and then dragging him.
The victim had a pulse when crews pulled him free after about an hour, but he died at a Denver hospital.
The accident happened at approximately 6:30 a.m. and of
- EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Giants placekicker Josh Brown admitted in journal entries and emails that he verbally and physically abused his wife, according to documents that were part of a domestic violence case obtained by SportsNet New York.
Team spokesman Corry Rush declined comment Thursday morning on the details that emerged from a case in Washington. Brown was arrested in May 2015 on a domestic violence allegation but no charges were filed against the 37-year-old player. He was suspended
- Junkins fire evacuees from two areas near the town of Beulah will return to their homes Thursday morning for the first time since the fire forced them to flee on Monday.
Residents who live on North Creek Road between Central and the Red Mountain Youth Camp, and the Simonson Trail Subdivision will begin going home after they secure a re-entry permit, according to the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office. The permits will be available starting at 10 a.m. at the Colorado Building on the C
- TRINIDAD, Colo. (AP) — The city of Trinidad will pay $375,000 to settle a wrongful-arrest lawsuit from two women arrested during a 2013 drug sting that resulted in no convictions.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Colorado announced the settlement Thursday. The group represented Danika Gonzales and Felicia Valdez, who were arrested following a sting based on information from a police informant. The informant was later discredited.
The lawsuit argued that the city had reason to believe
- Good morning and merry “Longest Possible Time Before Another Presidential Debate Day” everyone! While this campaign season has been dragging on for literal years, the end is near.
And to help you make it through the end, we put together a Colorado voter’s guide, with information on how to register to vote (which you can do up to and including Election Day) plus a guide to the major races, editorial board endorsements and explainers for all of the statewide ballot measures. It&r
- By Martin Crutsinger, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — The number of Americans seeking unemployment benefits rose to the highest level in five weeks but still remained close to the recent 43-year lows.
THE NUMBERS: Weekly applications for jobless benefits rose by 13,000 last week to 260,000, the Labor Department reported Thursday. That was the highest level since an identical 260,000 claim applications were filed the week of Sept. 10.
Since that time, claims had fallen to the lowest levels si
- Instant replay review was used in the Chicago Cubs win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 4 of the NLCS after Adrian Gonzalez was called out at home to end the second inning. Did MLB get this call right?
Take Our Poll
- Armed robbers donning Halloween masks and dark clothing hit a Colorado Springs home and a 7-Eleven in a two-hour span early Thursday morning, according to separate police reports.
The two police reports both by officers in the Sand Creek Division mentioned the similar circumstances in each robbery without saying whether detectives believed the two robberies were related. The reports did not indicate if anyone was arrested.
Three men wearing masks and dark clothing confronted a family at the
- BOULDER, Colo. (AP) — Boulder’s police chief says two officers who shot and killed a man wielding a machete at the University of Colorado were trapped in a stairwell with him and fired after he refused to drop the knife and advanced toward them.
The Daily Camera reports that Chief Greg Testa provided the details during a city council briefing on police force Wednesday. The shooting is still being investigated by authorities from around the county.
Testa said the officer
- Robyn Beck, AFP/Getty ImagesDemocratic nominee Hillary Clinton (R) and Republican nominee Donald Trump walk off the stage after the final presidential debate at the Thomas & Mack Center on the campus of the University of Las Vegas in Las Vegas, Nevada on October 19, 2016.By Aaron Blake, The Washington Post
There was one candidate who came to Wednesday night’s debate spoiling for a fight, and it wasn’t Donald Trump.
A more subdued Trump worked his way through the early part of the
- After pushing the auto industry along toward an electric future, Elon Musk wants to put cars on an accelerated path to driving autonomously, equipping each new Tesla Motors Inc. model with the hardware needed for full self-driving capability.
Every Tesla, including the upcoming Model 3 sedan, will ship with eight cameras and a dozen sensors to give them 360-degree visibility, according to the Palo Alto, California-based company. While drivers won’t be able to let go of the steering wheel y
- DETROIT — Stopping to pick up a stray penny off the ground may not seem worth the effort, yet one bank is trying to change that mindset by placing 100 fake pennies across the country worth $1,000 apiece.
Ally Bank says it is hoping to encourage Americans to look for opportunities to save through its “Lucky Penny” promotion, which launched this week. The lucky pennies carry a copper color like real pennies, but feature the Detroit-based bank’s logo instead of Abraham Linco
- By Danny Cox
The defending Super Bowl champions lost their top two quarterbacks after last season, and many thought it would lead to a disastrous 2016. Six games into the season, they have a record of 4-2 and are tied for the AFC West lead with the Oakland Raiders. Now, they’re looking to break out of a two-game losing streak and are hoping to do it against their thought-to-be future leader, Brock Osweiler.
Peyton Manning’s retirement left a gaping hole in the Broncos offense, but it
- Bryan Altman
We’re teetering closer and closer to mediocrity here, folks. Much like the Eagles, I stormed out of the gate and shocked the world with some real solid wins in my picks against the spread, but these last two weeks have been a struggle.
So it’s tough times like these when I have to pause, look in the mirror, and ask myself tough questions.
Then I watch that glorious clip and I’m reminded that there’s no time to feel sorry for myself. I’ve got a
- LOCHBUIE, Colo. (CBS4) – A two-vehicle collision closed County Road 4 just north of County Road 45 on Thursday morning.
A pickup truck and a car collided, killing at least one person.
The crash happened just before 7 a.m. east of Lochbuie.
So far it’s not clear why the two cars collided.
- By Ashton Altieri
DENVER (CBS4) – Clear skies, light winds, and cold air moving into Colorado from Wyoming combined to create the coldest morning so far this season on Thursday. Denver officially dropped to 25° which was coldest temperature in more than 6 months.
Sunny skies will work to warm temperatures quickly but because of the very cold start, highs should be limited to the lower and middle 60s Thursday afternoon. Mountain towns will mainly be in the 50s while most
- Colorado scored 10 goals to win its first two games of the season before getting outshot 40-18 while struggling to a 3-0 loss at Washington on Tuesday in the second of a rough back-to-back.
- DENVER (CBS4)– Police in Denver investigated a hit-and-run that left a motorcyclist injured.The crash happened between one vehicle and a motorcycle near the intersection of Colfax Avenue and Cheyenne in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Denver just before 10 p.m.
Police interviewed witnesses to gather information on the suspect vehicle. (credit: CBS)
One man was rushed to the hospital with unknown injuries. It is unclear what led up to the crash.
- DENVER (CBS4)– Police in Denver investigated a crash that left a motorcyclist injured.
The crash happened between one vehicle and a motorcycle near the intersection of Colfax Avenue and Cheyenne Place in downtown Denver near the Denver Post building just before 10 p.m.
Police interviewed witnesses to gather information on what happened. It was originally reported as being a hit and run.
One man was rushed to the hospital with unknown injuries.
- By Jeff ToddJEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4)– The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office is hoping to talk to a couple that may have witnessed a violent assault inside the Jefferson County Courthouse.
“We had an 82-year-old visitor to the courthouse. After doing business at the DMV he went to the restroom near the public defender’s office on level one of the administrative side of the courthouse. As he was exiting the restroom he was either violently punched in the face or the d
- LAS VEGAS (AP) — Threatening a fundamental pillar of American democracy, Donald Trump refused to say Wednesday night that he will accept the results of next month’s election if he loses to Hillary Clinton. The Democratic nominee declared Trump’s resistance “horrifying.”
Trump has spent the days leading up to third and final presidential debate warning voters that the election will be “rigged.” Asked whether he would accept the outcome if Clinton emerges
- DENVER (CBS4)– Albertsons stores along the Front Range have officially become Safeway stores.Albertsons acquired the Safeway grocery chain last year and has re-branded the stores around the country under one name. (credit: CBS)
Overnight Tuesday into Wednesday morning, crews changed the signs at eight Albertsons stores in the Denver metro area.
Most of the stores have either had major renovations or are in the process of being renovated.
- DENVER (AP) — An Air Force base in Colorado said Tuesday it accidentally released about 150,000 gallons of water containing toxic chemicals into the sewer system of the adjacent city of Colorado Springs, but the potential health hazards weren’t immediately known.
Peterson Air Force Base said the water contained perfluorinated compounds or PFCs, which have been linked to prostate, kidney and testicular cancer, along with other illnesses. The Air Force hasn’t said how high the le
- DENVER (CBS4)– Super Bowl MVP Von Miller visited students at Green Valley Ranch High School on Wednesday.
Miller wanted to congratulate them and the staff on being named a National Blue Ribbon School.
The Green Valley Ranch school is one of just a handful across the country to win the honor.
“And that’s only achieved through great academic success so it just shows you what type of work ethic these kids have here and what type of support system they have from the t
- By Alan Gionet
DENVER (CBS4)– “I don’t know, never heard of him,” seemed to be the phrase of the day as we toted the ballot around downtown. This year’s list of legitimate presidential candidates in Colorado is an abundance of democracy.
The Nonviolent Resistance/Pacifists, the American Solidarity Party, the Nutrition Party; it’s a full slate. There are 22 candidates for president on the ballot and that doesn’t count the eligible write-ins.
- LAS VEGAS (AP) — Threatening to upend a basic pillar of American democracy, Donald Trump refused Wednesday night to say he would accept the results of the November election if he loses to Hillary Clinton. The Democratic nominee declared Trump’s resistance “horrifying.”
Trump has spent the days leading up to Wednesday night’s presidential debate warning voters that the election will be “rigged.” Asked whether he would accept the results, he said, “I
- ARVADA, Colo. (CBS4)– A cyclist who was struck by a vehicle on Wednesday morning died from his injuries.The crash happened about 7 a.m. Wednesday at 52nd and Wadsworth. Police told CBS4 the cyclist was a 43-year-old man. His name has not been released.Copter4 flew over the deadly crash on Wednesday morning (credit: CBS)
Police continued to investigate whether the driver will face charges.
- By Kelly Werthmann
DENVER (CBS4)– The Drug Enforcement Agency is asking for public input on medical uses and effects of kratom, just weeks after the agency said it intended on making the substance illegal.
Kratom is a leaf-based substance that comes from a tropical tree in Southeast Asia. On Aug. 31, the DEA announced its intent to classify kratom as a Schedule I drug like heroin, LSD and ecstasy.
The DEA called kratom an “imminent threat” following reports o
- DENVER (AP) — Government investigators said Wednesday they are looking into allegations that Department of Veterans Affairs employees in Colorado kept unofficial lists of veterans waiting for health care that could conceal how long it takes to get an appointment, possibly broadening a nationwide scandal.
The VA’s internal watchdog announced an audit in a letter to Republican Sens. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin and Cory Gardner of Colorado. The Associated Press obtained a copy of the lette
Follow @ColoradoNews_ on Twitter!