Regardless of who wins the Presidential election, the future of trade policy will likely be an unknown for some time. Surrounding the election season was the debate over the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). Donald Trump playing the isolationist, populist was clearly against it. Hillary Clinton was a big supporter of TPP until politics pushed her in the other direction.
During the recent Florida Fruit & Vegetable Association (FFVA) Annual Convention, a couple of informed speakers said, if ele
- Photo by W.M. HuntsbargerPest Specs
The black cutworm occurs widely across the globe feeding on vegetables and grains. Nearly all vegetables are attacked, as are a variety of agronomic crops.
Larvae persist throughout the winter in Florida. Adults can disperse over long distances moving north in the spring and south in the autumn. Studies have demonstrated long distance movement of moths in the range of 1,000 kilometers in two to four days when assisted by a tailwind.
- The wine specialist is the first to use eBay’s new ‘mood marketing’ tool
- Valent U.S.A. Corporation announced Thursday the California Department of Pesticide Regulation (CDPR) registration of ReTain Plant Growth Regulator for California on almonds. ReTain increases nut-set in almonds to help ensure an optimum crop load.
ReTain extends the viability of almond blooms by giving more opportunity for pollination of the flowers, which improves nut-set potential. The naturally occurring active ingredient in ReTain works by reducing ethylene production in almond flowers and d
- Consumer interest in organic products has grown in recent years, as reflected by rising sales nationwide – with a 56 percent increase in New York from 2008 through 2014. The number and total acreage of organic farms in New York also rose over that period, despite nationwide declines.
According to the USDA, organic production involves food or other agricultural goods that are produced through approved methods including cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that promo
- From teas to powdered lemonade mixes and protein shakes, products formulated with mushrooms are springing up all over the place, with reishi leading the pack.
- Why is NPA so important? We asked guests at this year’s lavish ceremony for their thoughts …
- Before the chill of fall settles in, a group of DC urbanites – some foodies and others not – gathered to sample and critique four variations of kitchen staples designed to engage consumers while also easing the burden of cooking from scratch, including Hummustir, Barengo balsamic vinegar, Hoboken Farm’s marinara sauce and organic chopped salad kits from Ready Pac.
- The Florida Agricultural Hall of Fame Foundation has revealed the latest honorees who will be inducted into the Florida Agriculture Hall of Fame for 2017.
According to State Commissioner of Agriculture Adam Putnam, these individuals have made outstanding contributions to Florida’s agriculture industry and mentored future leaders in this field. “It’s my privilege to recognize these honorees for their outstanding contributions to Florida Agriculture, and I look forward to their o
- The choice between artificially sweetened and sugared soft drinks does not seem to make a difference in the onset of chronic conditions such as diabetes, according to Swedish research.
- But control over the dairy industry code of practice should remain with the dairy sector, says Dairy UK CEO Judith Bryans
- Refreshed look is aimed at “a new generation of girls”
- Mondelez is gearing up for another heavyweight push for Cadbury Creme Egg.
- As a port of entry, the state of Florida has felt the negative effects of invasive weeds, insects, and diseases for many years. Here are two making headlines today and one that is being closely monitored on a regular basis.
Gene McAvoy, UF/IFAS Hendry County Extension agent and longtime writer for Florida Grower® magazine, contributed to this article.
Photo courtesy of UF/IFASQ-biotype Whitefly
The Q-biotype, or Mediterranean whitefly (Bemisia tabaci), has spread from the initial d
- Ludlow joined Brandbank earlier this month after eight years with the grocery comparison site
- Ambitious Australian brand, Tiger Buck has launched a beef jerky product to market to cater to a lack of pre-packaged premium snack options available at bars and liquor retailers.
- It’s the biggest Yuletide campaign for the whisky brand to date
- Demand around the world for British brands will help boost food and drink exports by £2.9bn, Andrea Leadsom has claimed
- Established more than 20 years ago, Calder makes chilled food-to-go products for foodservice
- Dave Lewis’ recovery plan at Tesco has led to its first market share gain since 2011
- The NPD follows the launch of the brand’s latest Guida Gallo
- The red wine rolls into Morrisons from 1 November (rsp: £7)
- In the wake of Marmite-gate and the Unilever pricing spat with Tesco, the papers put Nestlé results in the spotlight.
- Most Americans are trained from a very young age to believe that beautiful is better – even when it comes to food – but as most people also know, this isn’t always true.
- With late-season temperatures in the high 70s, foggy mornings with high humidity and numerous rainy days, many growers of brassica crops, in particular cabbage, are noticing an uptick in a disease that can render produce unmarketable – black rot. The disease first manifests itself as dull yellow areas on the leaf margin, often 1-3cm in size and extending downwards in a V-shape. The center of this area often becomes brown and dry, and as the disease advances, the plant will take on a scorch
- Today’s vegetable seed breeders continue to enhance varieties with not only better aesthetics and flavor profiles, but also with improved disease resistance. All of those qualities are of interest and importance to Florida growers.
Open your eyes and ears to the latest and greatest sweet corn cultivars.
- The newest University of California Cooperative Extension nut crop advisor, Mae Culumber, is based in Fresno County. Culumber has a PhD in soil science and a master’s in ecology from Utah State University. Western Fruit Grower® magazine recently caught up with her to ask her a few questions to help introduce her to the state’s nut industry. You can contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: What interests you about farming in general and nut growing in particular? Why?
- Tennessee-based Stratas Foods is expanding its manufacturing presence in the Northeast with the acquisition of Supreme Oil Company, based in Englewood, NJ.
- UF/IFAS researchers have confirmed in a new study that the data they are giving growers through an avocado irrigation app works well to save water and money.
Photo by Tyler Jones, UF/IFASLast year, UF/IFAS researchers developed and released a mobile app for avocado growers to aid in reducing water use. Through trial and observation since then, it appears a formula has been found for optimal savings on irrigation input and related costs.
Kati Migliaccio, a UF/IFAS Professor of Agricultural a
- The commitment was made in response to “increased demand from our customers”
- Consumers have been asked to boycott Driscoll’s strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries
- The ambient products will feature Mickey or Minnie Mouse on the front
- The Danish brewer will be distributing two of the craft brewer’s variants from 1 November
- This marks 12 years since the launch of its first cabinet in the retailer’s Regent Street store
- World Food Processing is branching out from pea protein to offering a line of whole pulse ingredients aimed at helping food manufacturers achieve fortification targets.
- WILD Flavors & Specialty Ingredients (WFSI), part of Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM), is tapping into the vegan market with its protein power drinks and Clarisoy dessert toppings.
- Low production has helped push up prices of hazelnuts in the UK
- The Florida Automated Weather Network (FAWN), a program of UF/IFAS, recently developed and deployed to its digital platform several interactive tools that can be useful not only to agricultural users, but also to the general public.For example, visitors to Fawn.ifas.ufl.edu can easily access a current measurement, a 36-hour National Weather Service (NWS) forecast, and any applicable NWS watches/warnings for a station by simply placing the mouse cursor over a station on the home page map. Radar i
- The new campaign launched on 16 October with a 30-second TV spot during The X Factor
- Halewood International has ditched the fruit-flavoured part of its Crabbie’s portfolio
- Peralta will report to new Tulip CEO Steve Francis, who announced a radical restructure of the business in September
- The sector last year accused PHE of “demonising” yoghurt
- Soups launched under the successful Slimming World range have amassed sales of £2.2m
- Fowler Welch has signed an agreement to supply redistribution charity FareShare
- Handmade Vintage is made in partnership with Gardiners of Scotland
- Larger players scored better on health, value and quality of options
- He will take responsibility for developing UK sales strategy at a buoyant time for the US-listed business
- Nestlé has lowered its full year outlook from 4.2% to 3.5% as it feels the effect of a deflationary market.
- Den Hollander will succeed former Asda CEO Andy Clarke in the role
- Eaton is also chairman at New England Seafood and a non-executive director at John Menzies…
Follow @newsl_vegetable on Twitter!