- The documentary peers over the shoulders of journalists at The New York Times as they decide who merits obituaries and then go about the delicate business of writing them.
- “Only I can tell my story,” Madonna said in reaction to “Blond Ambition,” a biopic in the works about her years in gritty 1980s New York.
- Patricia Lockwood’s new memoir Priestdaddy is part origin story, part narrative of her time in the wilderness. Except here the wilderness is actually a homecoming, a regression from low-rent provincial American hipster paradise back to the crucifix-appointed parental home — in fact a rectory, because through a loophole in Catholic...More »
- It’s been seven years since Gorillaz last released a proper album, which isn’t that long considering all the labor that goes into one. Though it’s meant to seem like the work of four fictional cartoon characters, the business of actually making their latest record, Humanz, their fourth, fell as always...More »
- US television hosts have been weighing in on the upcoming milestone of Donald Trump’s first 100 days in office. Trevor Noah comments on the president’s claim that the milestone is arbitrary, while Stephen Colbert criticises Trump for comparing his own ratings to those on the day the World Trade Center was attacked. NBC’s Seth Meyers takes a closer look at the apparent row-back on making Mexico pay for a border wallLate-night TV roundup: ‘It’s 100 days in Trump time.
- This story contains spoilers about S-Town.Ann Stone, the Woodstock, Alabama, town librarian, rarely misses church. Yet a few weeks ago, on a fluke, she did. Driving to work the next day, Stone, who taught grade school in Woodstock for 30 years before switching professions, caught an NPR interview featuring someone...More »
- Each month, several films and TV shows leave Showtime’s catalogue. We provide a list of departing titles so you can watch them before they’re gone forever (or are just available on a different site). For more comprehensive coverage of the best titles available on Showtime and elsewhere, check out Vulture’s...More »
- Once upon a time, a biopic about Albert Einstein — particularly one starring Geoffrey Rush and co-produced by Brian Grazer and Ron Howard, who also has a directing credit on the project — would have been a major motion picture and part of the flurry of end-of-the-year Oscar conversation. In...More »
- Formerly known as About Ray, the movie 3 Generations follows a young trans boy named Ray (Elle Fanning) raised in New York City by his grandmother (Susan Sarandon) and mom Maggie (Naomi Watts). Ray is ready to progress to his next step in the gender-confirmation process, but the medical consent...More »
- A Dark Song is a movie best entered into with minimal explanation beforehand, but here’s the briefest of summaries: A woman who has lost her child is willing to turn over everything she has to a reclusive occultist if it means he can connect her with her son’s spirit once...More »
- The Bachelor’s Chris Soules has been arrested following a fatal car crash in his home state of Iowa, TMZ reports. According to the online gossip outlet, the incident happened Monday night, and Soules is currently in custody. Here is what we know so far, per TMZ:“Bachelor” Chris Soules is in...More »
- Each month, several films and TV shows leave Hulu’s catalogue. We provide a list of departing titles so you can watch them before they’re gone forever (or are just available on a different site). For more comprehensive coverage of the best titles available on Hulu and elsewhere, check out Vulture’s...More »
Joan Rivers Used to Set Toilet Seats on Fire and 5 Other Things We Learned From Kelly Osbourne’s New MemoirIn her new memoir, There Is No F*cking Secret, Letters From a Badass Bitch, Kelly Osbourne addresses a series of issues ranging from her drug addiction to women who leave pee on the toilet seat (a chapter aptly titled “Dear Seat Sprinklers”). Though much of her life has been documented...More »
- Looking for a podcast that can make sense of our world? Rhianna Dhillon showcases the British Podcast Award nominees for Best Interview and Current Affairs series, plus the Represent award for reaching new audiencesCONTENT WARNING: this podcast contains a short discussion of sexual abuse.In this third instalment of the podcast, Rhianna Dhillon keeps it contemporary by listening to the nominees for both Best Interview and Current Affairs categories, plus the candidates for the Represent award, ch
Scott Baio Clarifies Comments Linking Happy Days Co-Star Erin Moran’s Death to Drugs and AlcoholAfter the death of his Happy Days co-star Erin Moran this Saturday, Scott Baio went on The Bernie & Sid Show where he discussed how her history with drugs and alcohol might have contributed to her death. In the interview, which took place before an autopsy revealed that Moran likely...More »
- What’s faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap over walls in a single bound, and sometimes wears a mask that completely distorts all of his dialogue? According to the tabloids, it’s Tom Hardy, and he’s out to protect the good citizens of London. After a pair of suspected thieves...More »
- Each month, several films and TV shows leave HBO’s catalogue. We provide a list of departing titles so you can watch them before they’re gone forever (or are just available on a different site). For more comprehensive coverage of the best titles available on HBO and elsewhere, check out Vulture’s...More »
- In an interview with NBC News, Ms. Dunaway said that she was “completely stunned” and felt “very guilty” about the now infamous Oscars mistake.
- Maren Ade, Fan Bingbing and Paolo Sorrentino are also among the jurors for the main competition next month.
- Will Smith, Jessica Chastain and Fan Bingbing are among the jurors for the main competition next month.
- Adam Hargreaves, son of Mr Men creator Roger, discusses the latest expansion of the cartoon universe – into the realm of the TimelordAdam Hargreaves remembers exactly when his Dad, Roger, first created the Mr Men. Then seven years old, the curious young boy asked the kind of question young boys often ask: “Daddy, what does a tickle look like?” So Roger started sketching, perhaps not realising that he was founding a globe-spanning, £28m empire that would be going strong de
- Comics, including Trevor Noah and Stephen Colbert, discuss how little the president has achieved in his first three months in the White HouseLate-night hosts took apart Donald Trump’s first 100 days in the White House, questioning what the president had actually achieved. Related: John Oliver on Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner: president 'can't even get nepotism right'Continue reading...
Elvis Costello Is Taking His Love of Late-Night to Samantha Bee’s ‘Not the White House Correspondents’ Dinner’Over the course of his storied career, Elvis Costello appeared on David Letterman’s Late Show an astounding 27 times – he was the kind of regular who even once filled in for Letterman while he was out of commission. Search the back halls of the Ed Sullivan Theater right now,...More »
- Rylance was recognized for his performance in Nice Fish at the American Repertory Theater.
- A taut and engrossing play by Madhuri Shekar premieres at Victory Gardens Theater.
- Lavey shepherded the Chicago company to 9 Tony Award wins.
- Each month, several films and TV shows leave Netflix’s catalogue. We provide a list of departing titles so you can watch them before they’re gone forever (or are just available on a different site). For more comprehensive coverage of the best titles available on Netflix and elsewhere, check out Vulture’s...More »
Vin Diesel Keeps Saying His Fast 8 Kiss Was Good, Despite Video Evidence and Charlize Theron’s Insistence to the ContraryThe biggest Fast and Furious feud is between Vin Diesel and the Rock, but after the release of The Fate of the Furious, a minor scrimmage has emerged between Diesel and Charlize Theron about the relative pleasure of kissing Vin Diesel. In the film, Charlize’s dreadlocked hacker Cypher kisses Vin’s...More »
- via MediaSubscriptions help global music industry to fastest growth in nearly 20 years
- Vin Diesel and his turbocharged action thriller fight off Alec Baldwin another week, while Bill Nighy and Gemma Arterton debut on the chart with post-blitz comedy drama Their FinestGiven the commercially modest set of new films it was up against, the eighth instalment in the Fast & Furious franchise had no problem holding on to the top spot at the UK box office, grossing £3.59m in its second frame, for a 12-day total of £23m. This compares with £26.25m for Fast & Furiou
- The 44th annual ceremony will be held June 5.
- Hunter Foster will direct the musical.
- So, you’re excited for Black Panther, and why wouldn’t you be? Marvel’s unusual new superhero movie comes out early next year and follows Captain America: Civil War scene-stealer T’Challa (played by Chadwick Boseman) as he returns to rule his home country of Wakanda. It helps that he has some formidable...More »
- Back when Hamilton was just a rap musical about the founding fathers that nobody knew what to think of, Andrea Martin got Lin-Manuel Miranda to write a rap just for her, or rather for Edith Prickley, one of Martin’s most famous characters on SCTV. After a bit of pretending that...More »
- On Sunday, Beyoncé’s visual masterpiece Lemonade turned one year old. And while it’s already been celebrated a million times over, even most recently receiving a Peabody award, the party’s just getting started. To mark the album’s first anniversary, Beyoncé has founded the Formation Scholars, a scholarship that will send four...More »
- The movies will hit theaters before 2020.
- Channel 4’s fly-on-the-ward documentary is back, and talking to the mothers and their children who had their births shown on TV. Here are three of their storiesOne Born Every Minute is returning for its 10th series. So far the show has put us through almost 200 births and, while the specifics of each have been different, they’ve all been horrible and painful and amazing and beautiful. However, this year there’s a special surprise: past One Born Every Minute subjects returning t
Follow @newslock_cinema on Twitter!