- By now you've undoubtedly seen Kellyanne Conway's "alternative facts" interview with Chuck Todd from this Sunday's Meet The Press. What you might have missed is Conway's distinct series of verbal ticks and chill hair moves throughout the interview, tells that, according to The Daily Show, might potentially, possibly, very, very,...More »
- What would normally be a routine Tonight Show game on Monday was slyly commandeered by guest, and actress extraordinaire, Cate Blanchett. The game, called "Emotional Interview," required Blanchett to have a conversation with host Jimmy Fallon in which they both changed the tone of the talk to reflect different random...More »
- Choreographer Steve Elias gets Huddersfield moving. Plus: amateur contenders have just four-hours to knock out a decent likeness of a celebrity sitterHuddersfield carnival has been cancelled. Thank heavens, then, for choreographer Steve Elias who – as his series aimed at getting Yorkshire moving continues – shows up to give the likes of dance teacher Paige the chance to get out on the street and have a hoof anyway. The piece Elias plans, which celebrates the textile town’s diff
- I think we can't start this week's recap without talking a little bit about Corinne as a villain. I don't think she's a villain at all. Compare Corinne to The CHAD. The CHAD was all about physical dominance and intimidation, as he was programmed to do. He put his hands...More »
- While you might think prior to clicking on the video above that Triumph The Insult Comic Dog runs the risk of getting his soft plastic face punched while ripping on Trump supporters at the inauguration, the truth is the Trump fans who gathered last week could take a Menendez brothers...More »
- Exceedingly likeable goofballs Ben Schwartz (Parks and Recreation, House of Lies) and Noel Wells (Master of None, Saturday Night Live) are set to star opposite each other in a Netflix original comedy Happy Anniversary. Variety reports the movie, written and directed by Lego Batman screenwriter Jared Stern, takes place over...More »
- Peter Dinklage is in a new movie at Sundance called Re-Memory. When he stopped by the Vulture Spot at Sundance, we asked him how making a smaller movie like that compared to the astronomical Game of Thrones. And we were surprised to hear his answer....More »
- Oh thank God, Jane the Virgin is back. It feels like the entire world is on fire, but at least Jane is still here, being goofy with a dumb hand puppet and giving us an episode where the most threatening plot is Rafael being potentially divested of his late father's...More »
- There are two things I forgot about original flavor ANTM: 1) The beef is always better when it's based on modeling drama instead of personal drama, and 2) These girls are young. They're so young! We're not only watching them learn how to model — or how to crump, or...More »
Let Migos Serenade You To Sleep By Rapping Llama Llama Red Pajama Over the â€˜Bad and Boujeeâ€™ BeatDon’t worry about getting to sleep tonight. Just slip into your four-legged camelid-sized jammies and let Migos sing you past your many anxieties (will your Mama Llama ever come back? Will she bring you a glass of water? Should you start to moan and boo-hoo?) into Dreamland. While visiting Power...More »
Seth Meyers Takes a Closer Looks at Donald Trump's Inauguration, 'Alternative Facts,' and the Women's MarchAfter a whirlwind weekend under America's newly sworn in President Trump, Seth Meyers took a Closer Look at all that transpired on Friday and Saturday. On one side were the glories of millions of protesters in the worldwide Women's March, all carrying signs like "JUST UGH" and "I [heart] TRAINS."...More »
- Show of hands: When this episode of Timeless opened with a close-up of Wyatt, who immediately we were about to jump into a storyline about Jessica's killer? If you got it from the get-go, good for you! It took me an extra beat to realize what was happening, which points...More »
- Salma Hayek stopped by the Vulture Spot at Sundance to talk about her new movie Beatriz at Dinner. We asked her about the current political climate and Salma had a very interesting take on the notion of "tolerance."...More »
- Through his role as Ron Swanson on Parks and Recreation, Nick Offerman has become somewhat of an icon of a certain brand of hardy, relatively inoffensive American masculinity. But while talking with us at Sundance, the erstwhile TV outdoorsman combated the notion of his purported masculinity and offered a humble...More »
There's An Every Which Way But Loose Remake in the Works, so How Can You Lure Clint Eastwood Back to Acting?If you're hell-bent on producing remakes, you might as well be bold. As bold as a hard-living lovelorn trucker/amateur fighter traveling across America with a fully grown orangutan in his cab. Deadline reports that Every Which Way But Loose, the Clint Eastwood 1978 surprise hit comedy that co-starred an orangutan named...More »
- CBS keeps up its procedural game with orders for two new pilots, including Killer Instincts starring Alan Cumming. The cop drama, based on a forthcoming novel by bestselling author James Patterson, sees an "out-of-the-game" CIA operative drops his new peaceful life as a professor and writer to help the police...More »
- I am very worried about the foundation of Tom and Katie's relationship. Building their future on this shakiness is like living in a house at the lip of an active volcano with a roommate who is a professional pogo stick artist and constantly practices his craft in the living room....More »
- We open in the Italian countryside, where a high-strung man with apparent stigmata clutches his bloody hands to a sheep he proclaims is the Madonna. A small crowd of disabled people and their caregivers are present. This should go great. Our boy Pius loves to share the spotlight almost as...More »
- via NYT > TheaterPaola Lázaro’s play, at the Atlantic Theater Company, assembles a crew of vivid characters on a San Juan street corner.
- Last Friday Shia LaBeouf kicked off a protest installation at New York's Museum of the Moving Image. Entitled HE WILL NOT DIVIDE US, visitors are encouraged to voice their opposition via the titular chant against President Trump for the next four years, or the entire duration of his presidency. However,...More »
- Seth Meyers, Mike O'Brien and Lorne Michaels, three guys who are no strangers to working together to make funny television with Saturday Night Live on NBC, have been given the greenlight to make a comedy pilot for (drum roll, please) NBC. According to Deadline the single-camera comedy will center around...More »
Father John Misty's Music Video for 'Pure Comedy' Features Donald Trump, John Cena and Some Saucy CartoonsLooking for answers to the meaning of life? Don't count on Father John Misty to help you there. In his new single "Pure Comedy" the human condition is one absurdity after another. The music video accompanying it, which the official YouTube version credits to Beyoncé website designer Matthew Daniel Siskin...More »
- According to The Hollywood Reporter, director Brian Knappenberger's documentary Nobody Speak: Hulk Hogan, Gawker and Trials of a Free Press will soon be headed to Netflix. The film, part of Sundance's U.S. documentary competition this week, explores the court case Bollea v. Gawker and its aftermath, specifically the demise of...More »
- In February of 2015, Neill Blomkamp took to his Instagram and confirmed that he was at work on what would essentially be Alien 5. It would advance the franchise narrative set out in the original Alien movies, so it would operate outside the plot of Ridley Scott’s current prequel endeavor...More »
- Varying background of modern castaways means Radio 4 show features more diverse range of cultures and musical choicesGuests of the BBC radio programme Desert Island Discs are abandoning classical music selections in favour of pop music and power ballads, according to a survey to mark the show’s 75th anniversary. The Radio 4 programme, devised by broadcaster Roy Plomley during the second world war, features celebrity guests discussing their lives and choosing eight pieces of music, as well
- The New Edition Story, the BET mini-series that traces the evolution and dissolution of the popular and influential '80s boy band, unfolds over not one, not two, but three nights. A six-hour television event, as BET is billing it, seems like a lot considering that Whitney Houston didn’t capture that...More »
Let Wilcoâ€™s Jeff Tweedy Be the Hero to Rid the Internet of Trump Trolls One Facebook Letter at a TimeEver a precious voice of peace in these chaotic times, Jeff Tweedy has braved the hells of the internet not to feed the trolls that keep it burning, but instead nourish their minds. In a letter on Wilco's Facebook, Tweedy is politely engaging with Trump supporters who've flooded his band's...More »
- The Big Story Split — M. Night Shyamalan's multiple-personality thriller — is the box office’s big winner. Off a $10 million budget, the horror movie took in $40 million over the weekend, opening in 3,038 theaters in North America. The ending has a classic Shyamalan twist, but most of the movie’s...More »
- It’s no secret President Donald Trump is obsessed with measuring things: hand size, public opinion, inaugural crowds and, perhaps most of all, TV ratings. As host of The Apprentice, he would pester NBC PR executives —and sometimes reporters — over every Nielsen decimal point. When The New Celebrity Apprentice debuted...More »
- From Joe O’Hara’s super-cheesy charm to Lady Hamilton’s terrifying snobbery, this episode grated far less than last week. More of this, please“Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.” Such was the mentality of wartime London in this episode. And of viewers who have sat patiently through this series thus far, waiting for it to take off. Tonight was to be The Joe O’Hara Show. I came close to not buying this storyline, but by the winning monologue at the end &n
Arrested Development Might Be Considering Adding a Bunch of Flashbacks to Confuse You Even More in a Possible Season 5Despite the fact that none of the Bluths seem to have time in their schedules to return to Arrested Development, there's always money in the banana stand, and thus, the people behind the show have reportedly found an ingenious way to develop a new season. According to TVLine, the show...More »
- For the first time ever, Stephen Colbert will host the Primetime Emmy Awards, which will be broadcast live from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles on Sunday, September 17 on CBS. Colbert, who cut his teeth as a correspondent on The Daily Show With Jon Stewart and later headed up The...More »
- The controversy surrounding video footage of a handler pushing a dog into a pool for a stunt while filming A Dog's Purpose continues, and the movie's animal supplier has released a statement contextualizing the footage released to TMZ. Ahead of Friday's release, Birds and Animals Unlimited has defended production practices on A...More »
- Now that the title has been unveiled for the next chapter, due in December, here’s what to expect — and hope for.
- Crucial news update: The Tonya Harding biopic I, Tonya has cast its Nancy Kerrigan, according to Deadline. Relative newcomer Caitlin Carver, with her dark brown hair and appropriately bold eyebrows, will be on the receiving end of Jeff Gillooly’s collapsible police baton in the Olympic figure skating drama from star...More »
- An hour after the sensational Call Me by Your Name unspooled for the first time at the Sundance Film Festival, director Luca Guadagnino and his stars Armie Hammer and Timothée Chalamet gathered in a cramped little room for a post-premiere ritual: the reading of the tweets."Standing ovation at Sundance for...More »
- via TheaterMania.comSt. Louis' Muny presents Malone in a role that she first played at the Denver Theater Center.
- After encountering criticism from both sides of the aisle for her tweet about Donald Trump's son Barron, SNL writer Katie Rich has been suspended indefinitely from the show, according to a source familiar with the situation. "I sincerely apologize for the insensitive tweet. I deeply regret my actions & offensive words. It...More »
- On Saturday afternoon, a cyberattack caused box-office operations to be briefly shut down at the Sundance Film Festival. Now, Deadline reports that the event is being reviewed by the FBI, according to a spokesperson for the festival. “At this point, we do not have any reason to believe the cyberattack...More »
- The adaptation, approved by Disney Theatrical Productions, will have songs from the 1940 film, and is to open at the National Theater in December.
- Several Jedi communities exist around the world. Some call themselves religious groups, though others avoid the term “religion.” Not all Jedi are “Star Wars” aficionados.
- via TheaterMania.comPaola Lázaro pens a salsa of love and regret in Old San Juan.
- Once upon a time, a wise teen once said, "This is my party, and you're just paying for it." Take out your T-Mobile Sidekicks and dial your under-appreciated mother/party planner: My Super Sweet 16 is coming back to MTV, the network confirmed to Vulture. The iconic early 2000s reality show...More »
- Actress Natasha Bassett has a tough job. She’s taken on the role of Britney Spears for the upcoming Lifetime movie Britney Ever After, which means she has to convincingly embody one of the biggest pop stars in history in a movie that focuses on her infamous public meltdown. This first teaser...More »
- The second-to-last episode of Mariah’s World begins in a small, overcrowded room in Paris, where Mariah Carey positions herself against a pink seamless background while posing for alleged magazine “Clash.” She’s only doing one look for the shoot, a black bodysuit and oversize fur coat, but her “king of opinions”...More »
- After the internet lit up upon discovering that a line from Donald Trump's inaugural address was incredibly similar to Bane's speech in The Dark Knight Rises, the Trump-Bane comparisons went viral. The Hollywood Reporter asked two of Bane's creators — comic-book writer Chuck Nixon and artist Graham Nolan — if they'd...More »
- via NYT > TheaterMr. McMullan unearths some of his never-before-seen theater posters to demonstrate how he created each work, from early studies to final versions.
- via MediaTransaction will help artist-owned service compete against Apple and Spotify
- In addition to frequently appearing as the new president in sketches, Trump impersonator Alec Baldwin (he's been in other stuff, right?) will host SNL for a record-breaking 17th time on February 11 with musical guest Ed Sheeran (Kristen Stewart will make her hosting debut the week before). Previously, Trump said...More »
- How did Donald Trump become the president of the United States? One popular explanation, circulated before and after the election, ascribes its outcome to the “white working class,” particularly the white working class of the midwestern states. Over the past few decades, factory jobs had been exported overseas, leaving only...More »
Follow @newslock_cinema on Twitter!