- In a lab 18 feet below the Engineering Quad of Stanford University, researchers in the Dionne lab camped out with one of the most advanced microscopes in the world to capture an unimaginably small reaction.
- “As we advance deeper into a new energy paradigm, we need to pick-up the pace of our decarbonization efforts.” That was the message this week from the director-general of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), Adnan Amin.
- Wind-power skeptic Donald Trump’s proposed tax reform may have an unintended consequence: threatening wind farms’ balance sheets.
- In response to a request from industry members, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission has extended the deadline to file comments on FERC’s notice of proposed rulemaking for energy storage participation in U.S. energy markets.
- The interconnection between the Veja Mate offshore wind farm and the BorWin2 platform in the German North Sea has been successfully plugged inThe project was awarded to Prysmian Group by TenneT, the Dutch-German grid operatorMilan, 17 January 2017 - Prysmian Group, world leader in energy and telecom cable systems industry, announces that the interconnection between the Veja Mate offshore wind farm and the offshore grid connection system BorWin2 in the German North Sea has been...Source: RealWire
- “Today, sustainability sits at the top of the global agenda. In this new era, renewables and hydrocarbons enjoy a symbiotic relationship that is changing the face of the energy world.”
- A new, approximately $6-million collaborative project is using a unique climate-simulating laboratory system as part of a new streamlined process to quickly pare down heaps of algae species into just a few that hold the most promise for renewable fuels.
- Four renewable energy projects in developing countries in the Pacific and Africa are to receive $44.5 million of funding. The money will come from a project facility set up by the Abu Dhabi Fund for Development (ADFD) and the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA).
- The Carbon Trust’s Offshore Wind Accelerator (OWA) last week launched a global innovation competition to fund the development of offshore wind cable condition monitoring systems.
- Saudi Arabia is poised to launch its National Renewable Energy Program’s first round of tendering. According to Khalid Al-Falih, the kingdom’s energy minister and also chairman of Saudi Aramco, it is “incredibly close” to the launch.
- How Dong Energy Turned Black Into Green
Danish energy company DONG Energy now ranks number 11 on the Carbon Clean 200 list – a ranking of 200 companies from around the world that are profiting from sustainable energy. The honour comes on the heels of a 10-year milestone, where 'green' ...and more »
- Chinadaily USA
How region can meet sustainable energy goal
The Asia-Pacific region has reached a turning point in its energy trajectory. The energy solutions that have fuelled growth in the region over the past decades are no longer compatible with the sustainable development aspirations of the region's nations.
Regional solutions key for APAC transition to sustainable energyMehr News Agency - English Versionall 7 news articles »
Energy Department Protects Scientists From Trump With New Policy
As scientists work overtime to protect climate and environment data from the incoming anti-science Trump administration, the Department of Energy announced a strengthened “scientific integrity” policy that ensures they can do their work without fear or ...and more »
- Billionaires Launch $1 Billion Investment Fund for Emissions-Free Energy
As Trump continues to nominate people who will make fossil fuels great again, another group of billionnaires are making it clear that their vote is for clean energy. This weekend, Breakthrough Energy Ventures officially launched, with Bill Gates as Chair.and more »
- Hindu Business Line
Making renewable energy sustainable
Hindu Business Line
Renewables is a sunrise sector and can solve the energy problems of the world by replacing fossil fuels. The sector has lived up to its expectations by clearly showing strong growth on the back of government policies, incentives and infrastructure ...and more »
Regional solutions key for Asia-Pacific's transition to sustainable energy - Times of Central Asia (subscription)Regional solutions key for Asia-Pacific's transition to sustainable energy
Times of Central Asia (subscription)
BISHKEK (TCA) — As the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) established an intergovernmental Committee on Energy that will meet for the first time in Bangkok 17-19 January, we are publishing this OP-ED by ...and more »
- Eurasia Review
Regional Solutions Key For Asia-Pacific's Transition To Sustainable ...
Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations and Executive Secretary of the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) Shamshad ...
Sustainable energy in Asia-INSIDE Korea JoongAng DailyKorea JoongAng Daily
Clean-energy innovation is key to sustainable development ...gulfnews.comall 4 news articles »
- Eurasia Review
Regional Solutions Key For Asia-Pacific's Transition To Sustainable Energy – OpEd
Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations and Executive Secretary of the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) Shamshad Akhtar. Photo Credit: ESCAP. By Dr. Shamshad Akhtar* January 13, 2017. The Asia-Pacific region ...
Clean-energy innovation is key to sustainable development ...gulfnews.comall 2 news articles »
- Kamloops This Week
Showcasing sustainable energy in artwork
Kamloops This Week
IN THE PHOTO: Jennifer Ste Marie will showcase Plan B and The Great Re-Skilling in the Everyday Sustainable Energy Superheroes Exhibition, which opens tomorrow at the Kamloops Art Gallery, 465 Victoria St. Dave Eagles/KTW. In one of Jennifer Ste ...
- Global energy consumption from air conditioning and refrigeration may increase more than 450 percent by 2050, and the Energy Department’s Building Technologies Office (BTO) is looking for ways to reduce this energy usage while improving performance.
- Jenn Runyon, Chief Editor of Renewable Energy World and Paula Mints, Chief Market Research Analyst with SPV Market Research discuss three hot topics in the global solar industry for three minutes each. Today’s topics include an innovative utility program in Vermont, the importance of quality in the renewable energy industry and how low PPA prices for solar projects impact the industry. Check it out.
- The price paid for solar power in India at auction is set to fall below last year’s record lows for the South Asia nation, driven by plummeting panel prices, falling interest rates and competition among developers seeking a slice of the country’s renewables market.
- The first turbine out of 67 Siemens 6-MW wind turbines was installed on Jan. 7 for the Dudgeon offshore wind farm by the crew of A2SEA’s Sea Challenger vessel.
- Climate change is a global issue, but if we’re going to correct it, action needs to happen on a local level. National-level initiatives have the potential to sway the habits of a larger audience, but they’re also harder and slower to promote.
- New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio
Obama honors Montclair professor for work on sustainable energy
New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio
MONTCLAIR — A Montclair State University professor was recognized by President Barack Obama for his work in environmental sciences, especially pointing to him as being a young leader in the field. Pankaj Lal, who is a professor of earth and ...
- “What happened to oil in the late 1970s?” was a question assigned to me in elementary school to discuss with family over the Christmas holiday break. At the time, this question seemed innocent enough, and I didn’t know how my family would react about what I soon learned to be two oil embargos.
- Americans like solar. Study after study has shown that the American public supports solar and wants the country to use more of it. Corporations like solar, too. When a company signs a solar PPA, it in effect locks in lower electricity prices for a fixed timeframe, which is music to the ears of the Chief Financial Officer. The fact that that energy is clean and renewable is music to the ears of the Chief Marketing Officer or Chief Sustainability Officer. All good, right?
- International Business Times UK
Obama vs Trump: Populism threatens sustainable green energy
International Business Times UK
Barack Obama thinks the green energy movement is unstoppable, but sustainability experts are not so sure. Martha Henriques. By Martha Henriques. January 12, 2017 13:49 GMT. Play Video. Play. Mute. Current Time 0:00. /. Duration Time 0:00. Loaded: 0%.
The irreversible momentum of clean energy | ScienceScience
Repealing the ACA without a Replacement — The Risks to Amer
- It would have been the first 100 percent community-owned renewable power project in North America. Located just south of Swift Current, Sask., the $90-million project would have generated 35 megawatts of electricity from wind turbines and solar panels with electricity sold to the provincial utility, SaskPower.
- On Friday, January 6, the Obama Administration released the second installment of the interagency Quadrennial Energy Review (QER 1.2), “Transforming the Nation’s Electricity System”.
- Spainish utility Enel yesterday said it has acquired Liberty Lake, Wash.-based energy storage software firm Demand Energy.
- California State Sen. Scott Wiener on Dec. 9 introduced legislation that would require the installation of solar power — PV or water heating — on new residential and commercial buildings constructed in California.
- The Maryland Energy Administration (MEA) has opened 2017 program to provide grants to selected recipients to install animal waste-to-energy projects.
- Since April 2016, there has been 21 MW of new solar PV community mini-grid capacity announced in emerging global markets, according to a new report from Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF).
- Geothermal taps an immeasurable amount of energy lying deep beneath our feet, energy that is also renewable and nearly free of emissions. But because of the immense heat in the deep subsurface, conditions are sometimes difficult to work in.
Sustainable Energy & Technology Asia 2017 to be Held Under the Theme of "Towards A Low-Carbon Society" - Yahoo FinanceSustainable Energy & Technology Asia 2017 to be Held Under the Theme of "Towards A Low-Carbon Society"
BANGKOK, Jan. 11, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Ministry of Energy joins hands with Chulalongkorn University, Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Transport and Ministry of Industry of Thailand to announce their partnerships to organize the ...
- Energy Live News - Energy Made Easy
Ireland doubles sustainable research funding
Energy Live News - Energy Made Easy
The Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) has announced the doubling of investment in research, development and demonstration projects to €2 million (£1.7m) this year. The fund is open to industry and academia to support sustainable energy ...
- California’s three major utilities have proposed plans to move Californians to electricity prices that vary with the time of day. Time-of-use pricing (TOU) is critical to aligning our energy use with times when clean, cheap electricity powered by sunshine and wind is already available.
#GIB â€” Environmental Community Takes to Twitter Over Fear Green Investment Bank Will Be â€˜Asset Strippedâ€™Climate and energy policy firm E3G, in conjunction with Greenpeace UK, today released findings that point to the possible stripping of assets in advance of the pending sale of the U.K.’s Green Investment Bank (GIB).
- On Tuesday, the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEAI) announced that Abigail “Abby” Ross Hopper has been named its new president and chief executive officer and will start Jan. 17.
Replacing long-time CEO Rhone Resch, Hopper brings to the top post at SEIA leadership experience overseeing federal and state agencies, most recently as the Director of the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) within the Department of Interior where she oversaw the leasing and permitting of offsho
- Kenyan utility KenGen recently said that it plans to kick off the 140-MW Olkaria V geothermal project before the end of this year.
- The developers of the controversial 99.9-MW Glyn Rhonwy pumped-storage project have been granted licenses by Natural Resources Wales to empty water from a disused Welsh quarry.
- In New York, Raymond James released its Clean Tech Primer 2017, arguably the most cogent and concise summary of activity and prospects across the gamut from solar power through to water technology, including all biofuels, biopower and bioindustrials.
- Portland General Electric on Dec. 30 asked the Public Utility Commission of Oregon for authorization to defer for later rate-making treatment certain revenues associated with the scheduled Boardman Power Plant 100 percent biomass test burn.
- Bankrupt clean-energy giant SunEdison Inc. is exiting its business in India by selling 1.7 GW of wind and solar farms to Greenko Energies Pvt., according to two executives with direct knowledge of the transaction.
Floating wind farm is key to sustainable energy in Scotland, say Marcus Thor and AedÃ¡n Smith - ScotsmanFloating wind farm is key to sustainable energy in Scotland, say Marcus Thor and Aedán Smith
'Dounreay Tri' is a proposed prototype facility that would pioneer the deployment of wind turbines in deep water. MARCUS THOR and AEDAN SMITH. 06:00 Tuesday 10 January 2017. 0. Have your say. Wind turbines are already capable of producing more ...and more »
Camden works toward sustainable power, reducing energy use - Courier-Gazette & Camden Herald (subscription)Camden works toward sustainable power, reducing energy use
Courier-Gazette & Camden Herald (subscription)
Camden — The New Year offers a good time to highlight efforts under way to reduce Camden's energy use and increase Camden's sustainable energy production. Thanks to efforts of the Camden Energy and Sustainability Committee and of the Downtown ...
- The San Diego County Water Authority and the City of San Diego said Jan. 6 that they have taken a step toward the possibility of helping the region meet its future energy needs through a new pumped storage opportunity at the San Vicente Reservoir site.
- The Public Utility Commission of Oregon has released guidelines for Oregon’s utilities to use when submitting proposals that will meet the state’s energy storage requirements under a 2015 energy law.
- Every year I gaze into my solar crystal ball and make ten educated guesses about the rooftop solar industry. Last year I was pretty lucky, getting 9 out of 10 right.
Follow @Sustain_Energy on Twitter!