- After 16 days, the State of California Franchise Tax Board nullified Fidelity National Title Company’s suspension and restored the corporation to good standing on Thursday. The impact of the suspension could hold severe consequences, ultimately delaying borrowers closing on their home.
- JPMorgan Chase agreed to a $55 million settlement with the Department of Justice, which accused the bank’s brokers of charging higher interest rates to minority borrowers than white borrowers in the run-up and during the financial crisis. Here are the details.
- Months of investigation, and police still haven’t made an arrest in the case of Tom Niblo, a real estate agent from Abilene, Texas who was shot and killed. However, newly released information continually points to one person – someone who just made bail.
- The Mortgage Bankers Association named New American Funding’s CEO as its new chairman for its political action committee. The MBA talks about why it chose him, and Rick Arvielo explains his plans for the next election cycle.
- Treasury Secretary nominee sat through his confirmation hearing today as members of the Senate Finance Committee questioned him on his ability for the role. While the questions covered a wide variety of topics, senators focused the majority of their time on one subject – Mnuchin’s time at OneWest Bank.
- For the first three hours of the confirmation hearing of Steve Mnuchin, the Trump administration’s choice to lead the Department of the Treasury, nearly all of the housing-related discussion centered on the mortgage servicing and foreclosure practices of OneWest Bank, the bank that Mnuchin formerly chaired. But that changed when Sen. Mark Warner, D-Virginia, began questioning Mnuchin about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
- Shortly after winning the election, Trump’s transition team posted his plan to dismantle the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Act. But to Morgan Stanley CEO James Gorman, more changes could be destructive to the market. Instead, Gorman defend the controversial Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Act.
- Mortgage rates decreased for the third straight week after the sudden nine-week increase that followed the president-elect’s win in November. However, the 10-year Treasury saw an increase this week. Freddie Mac’s chief economist explains why.
- December made up for some of its lost ground in November with an increase in housing starts. In fact, 2016 finished off the year as the best year for housing starts since 2007. However, the market remains in desperate need of new housing stock.
- MGIC recorded a strong fourth quarter, posting net income of $107.5 million, or $0.28 per diluted share, which beat estimates by $0.06. However, Patrick Sinks, CEO of MTG and its primary subsidiary MGIC, explained that while the company achieved strong financial result in 2016, 2017 is not forecasted to go as well.
- HouseCanary, a provider of software and analytics for the real estate industry, announced it raised $33 million in a funding round. Even more interesting is the list of investors eyeing HouseCanary, which includes participants like NBA legend Kobe Bryant.
- Certain noise disturbances can chip away at a home’s value. Here are the offenses that can have the biggest impact to the sales price....
- You could be making yourself vulnerable to a data breach if you’re using one of these passwords.
- JPMorgan Chase is the latest lender to agree to a settlement over claims it charged thousands of African American and Hispanic borrowers higher...
- A judge has postponed next week’s scheduled execution of a man convicted of killing a Dallas suburban real estate agent more than a decade...
- Your first-time buyers don’t necessarily need to put 20 percent down to buy a home. How much they need may be determined by where they live...
- New York is ramping up its focus on the practices of reverse mortgage lenders as of late. After introducing plans to increase the regulations surrounding reverse mortgages in the state earlier this month, New York is now reportedly also investigating practices related to the servicing of reverse-mortgages at Financial Freedom, a part of OneWest Bank, and at Champion Mortgage, a unit of Nationstar Mortgage.
- New york is ramping up it's focus on the practices of reverse mortgage lenders as of late. After introducing plans to increase the regulations surrounding reverse mortgages in the state earlier this month, New York is now reportedly also investigating practices related to the servicing of reverse-mortgages at Financial Freedom, a part of OneWest Bank, and at Champion Mortgage, a unit of Nationstar Mortgage.
- With President-elect Trump’s inauguration mere hours away, it appears that the Trump administration will do more than just “examine” the FHA premium cut once Trump is sworn on. According to multiple sources, the FHA premium cut, which is currently scheduled to go into effect on January 27, will be delayed, if not done away with entirely, by the incoming Trump administration. Click the headline to read more.
- via News | RISMediaHome builders have high hopes for the year ahead, anticipating a solid real estate market while being encouraged by the promises of a new administration.
The National Association of Home Builders (NAHB)/Wells Fargo Housing Market Index (HMI) posted 67 this month, a decrease of only two points from December 2016, with the measure of “buyer traffic” at 51, the measure of “current sales conditions” at 72, and the measure of “sales expectations” at 76. An above-50
- via News | RISMediaFrom new business models to young-gun execs, the face of the real estate brokerage business is changing. While disruption and competition keeps everyone on their toes, how do long-time real estate firms stay relevant—and profitable—in these evolutionary times?
This very question will be tackled during RISMedia’s upcoming Power Broker Roundtable, “Growth Strategies Beyond the Plateau,” at the 2017 REALTOR® Broker Summit, taking place at the Fairmont Grand Del Mar
- Loan officers, the time has come for you to stop calling Millennial homebuyers. Just don’t. Actually, they would prefer it, and you will have better success, if you text them. Don’t believe me? Read this, I’ll prove it.
- Ellie Mae’s Origination Insight Report showed that closing rates hit their highest point for the year in December, and purchase originations began ticking up even as refi originations decreased. Also, the credit box opened slightly in December as the average FICO score slipped down.
- For the second time in as many days, the Department of Justice announced that it reached a multi-billion dollar settlement with a foreign-based bank over its mortgage securitization practices leading up to the housing crisis. On Tuesday, the DOJ announced that it reached a $7.2 billion settlement with Deutsche Bank. Now, it’s Credit Suisse’s turn.
- In a unanimous opinion handed down Wednesday, the Supreme Court limited Fannie Mae’s ability to transfer cases to federal court, ruling that the government-sponsored enterprise’s charter does not grant it the right to move all state cases to the federal level. Here are all the details.
- Miami Herald
Trump will be very good for South Florida real estate, survey says
A strong U.S. economy managed by a developer-turned-president has South Florida's real estate community cautiously optimistic for 2017, according to a survey of top industry professionals released Wednesday by law firm Berger Singerman. About 53 ...and more »
- Builder confidence came down off December's high, the highest level for more than 10 years, but remains strong headed into 2017. According to the National Association of Home Builders, many builders are excited for the business conditions that the new administration will bring.
- Monmouth Real Estate Declares Common And Preferred Dividends
FREEHOLD, N.J., Jan. 18, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- On January 17, 2017, the Board of Directors of Monmouth Real Estate Investment Corporation (MNR) ("Company") declared its quarterly cash dividend on the Company's Common Stock of $0.16 per share ...
Monmouth Real Estate (MNR) Declares $0.16 Quarterly Dividend; 4.3% YieldStreetInsider.comall 2 news articles »
- Pelham Daily Voice
Warren Buffett Company Acquires Houlihan Lawrence Real Estate Agency
Pelham Daily Voice
Nancy Seaman will step down from Houlihan Lawrence after it was purchased by Home Services. Her brothers, Stephen Myers, left, and Chris Myers will remain with the company. Photo Credit: Courtesy of Houlihan Lawrence ...and more »
- U.S. Bancorp produced mixed results in their fourth quarter, but that did not prevent the company from setting a record year in 2016. The company’s net interest income also showed growth not just for the year, but also in the fourth quarter.
Maelle Gavet is the new COO at real estate startup Compass
There has been another development at Compass, the real estate startup that recently hit a $1 billion valuation. The company has appointed a new COO, Maëlle Gavet. She will report to Robert Reffkin, the CEO and co-founder of Compass. Gavet was most ...
Compass taps Priceline alum Maelle Gavet as new COOThe Real Deal Magazineall 3 news articles »
- International Living
Foreign Real Estate: More Than a Second Home
Spending time abroad is one of the best ways to gain perspective on one's “home.” That's why I own foreign real estate, and why I've spent a good chunk of my time working on my lovely seaside cottage south of Cape Town—a property I snapped up 20 years ...and more »
- E! Online
The Real Housewives Real Estate Glossary, From Baja Shelves to Champagne Closets
The Housewives do everything in their own way. It might not be the best, but it's their best. They're doing their best. This applies to pretty much all aspects of the Real Housewives lifestyle, from marriages to personal style to careers to product ...and more »
- Citicorp net income increased to $3.5 billion, from $2.8 billion in the prior year period, primarily driven by the higher revenues as well as lower operating expenses and lower cost of credit. However, this isn't due to expansion in the mortgage market.
- The Asset
Wheeler Real Estate Investment Trust, Inc. Announces Monthly Cash Dividend
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va., Jan. 18, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Wheeler Real Estate Investment Trust, Inc. (WHLR) (“Wheeler” or the “Company”), a fully-integrated, self-managed commercial real estate investment company focused on acquiring and managing ...
Commercial Real Estate Investment Activity Set to Rebound in 2017Marketwired (press release)all 128 news articles &raq
- Goldman Sachs reported its earnings today which showed that while revenues are still up from last year, it is struggling in several areas. One of those includes its investing and lending sector, which decreased 25% in 2016 compared to the previous year. But that isn’t the only sector in the company that saw significant losses.
- Sunoco LP Announces Real Estate Portfolio Strategy
DALLAS, Jan. 18, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Sunoco LP (SUN) ("SUN" or the "Partnership") announced today that the Partnership has retained NRC Realty & Capital Advisors, LLC ("NRC") to assist with strategic alternatives for more than 100 real estate assets.and more »
- Mortgage applications barely moved, starting off the year only slightly increasing. This week’s report marks the first one of the year with no holiday adjustment since last week’s report included New Year’s. Most notably, the average contract interest rate for 30-year fixed-rate mortgages with conforming loan balances fell to its lowest level since December 2016.
- Palm Beach Post (blog)
Which real estate executive just got promoted?
Palm Beach Post (blog)
Cushman & Wakefield, the international brokerage firm, has named Mark Pateman to lead its Palm Beach County office. Pateman, with the firm since 2006, has been a broker specializing in office leasing and investment sales. His promotion to the ...and more »
Inglewood real estate market expected to score as Chargers join Rams at new stadium - Los Angeles TimesLos Angeles Times
Inglewood real estate market expected to score as Chargers join Rams at new stadium
Los Angeles Times
The Chargers' decision to join the Rams at a splashy new stadium in Inglewood has at least one builder even more pumped up about the city's prospects. The promise of pro football in Inglewood, still three years away, has already given a lift to real ...
Homes for Sale in Frankfort and Nearby: Southland Real Estate Guide
Looking for a new house? Or just looking? Either way, you'll find the best properties on the market in Patch's houses-for-sale listings. By Lauren Traut (Patch Staff) - January 18, 2017 4:01 am ET ...and more »
London's Vanishing Real Estate Market
Asking prices for homes in the capital have held up remarkably despite Brexit and an increase in purchase tax, or stamp duty. In London, the average rose 1.4 percent in January from the year-earlier period, according to data released by property ...and more »
- Omaha World-Herald
Omaha real estate agent arrested in Seth Hansen's homicide
Seth Hansen's family put off his funeral as long as they could. They hoped a suspect in his slaying would be arrested so they could commemorate his life in peace. On Tuesday, they got their wish. A 45-year-old Omaha real estate agent, Dirk C. Blume ...
Police arrest real estate agent in metro homicideWOWT
OPD arrest real estate agent in homicide of Seth HansenKMTVall 8 news articles »
Commercial real estate in the Inland Empire: Lease rates up, vacancies down - San Bernardino County SunCommercial real estate in the Inland Empire: Lease rates up, vacancies down
San Bernardino County Sun
The Inland-area commercial building vacancy rate fell 21.6 percent in the fourth quarter of 2016 compared to the same time in 2015 and the monthly average lease rate jumped 15.2 percent over the year — but remains below those of surrounding areas.
- Miami Today
Real estate markets across Miami-Dade County steady
Brexit and the US elections were among factors that made 2016 a stable and steady – but not record-breaking – year in real estate markets across Miami-Dade County, observers say. “It was a relatively slow year,” with some companies waiting until year's ...
- CBS Local
Dallas Tops Forbes List Of Places To Invest In Real Estate
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Forbes has named Dallas as the top city on it list of places to invest in real estate for 2017. Their figures indicate Dallas property values will increase by 30 percent in the next 3 years. The news was welcomed with plenty of ...and more »
Colorado Springs' commercial real estate market showed more improvement in 2016 - Colorado Springs GazetteColorado Springs' commercial real estate market showed more improvement in 2016
Colorado Springs Gazette
Colorado Springs' commercial real estate market made more progress in 2016 as it continued its gradual recovery from the Great Recession, a new report shows. Of key indicators that measure the market's health, the change in the amount of office ...
- In the weeks since Steve Mnuchin sent shockwaves through the housing industry by stating that the Trump administration planned to end the conservatorship of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, reactions varied on whether that can actually be done and how expensive it might be. Here's an interesting take from an interested party on how the GSEs might actually exit conservatorship and what that would mean to the GSE stockholders who've waited quite a few years for a resolution.
- Among Obama's Pardons, Hotel And Real Estate Magnate Ian Schrager
Ian Schrager is well-known as the co-founder of New York's famed Studio 54 nightclub and for creating some of the hippest boutique hotels and condominiums on the planet. Less known, however, is Schrager's 1980 conviction on tax fraud. At least until today.and more »
- After roughly a year to get finalized, SoFi officially received its license to lend in New York, which is one of the most difficult states to acquire a license in, Michael Tannenbaum, SoFi’s chief revenue officer, said in an interview. And now with New York under it's belt, Tannenbaum touches on a strong mortgage future ahead for SoFi.
Follow @RealEstate_Nws_ on Twitter!