- De business heeft hoge verwachtingen van IT. Medewerkers verwachten dat de IT-afdeling snel levert, de operationele efficiëntie verhoogt en meer flexibiliteit mogelijk maakt. En dat terwijl IT het eerste is waarop wordt bespaard. En waar het voor eindgebruikers steeds eenvoudiger wordt, geldt voor het beheer van... lees meer
- When President-elect Donald Trump takes office next month, one of the biggest items awaiting his Justice Department will be the antitrust review of the proposed $85 billion merger of AT&T and Time Warner, a deal that could have major ramifications for online video and TV distribution arrangements.Trump addressed the proposed acquisition when it was announced in October while on the campaign trail, saying in no uncertain terms that he opposed the deal on the grounds that the combined entity w
- You’ve probably heard the breathless hype about the new wireless standard called 5G. As I’ve written before it’s not exactly on our doorstep. But trials by a number of major carriers have gone well, and some industry analysts are predicting that the ultra-fast technology will start to be deployed as soon as 2020.[ Related: 5G could require cell towers on every street corner ]To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here
Thusly, jQuery is not a Rails dependency anymore. The gem, rails-ujs, was created by developer Dangyi Liu as part of the Google Summer of Code event.[ Discover the career hacks for becoming the developer everyone wants in InfoWorld's Deep Dive. | Keep up with hot topi
- It sure looked like Microsoft was putting MS-DOS out to pasture. Now it’s saying that the MS-DOS command prompt cmd will continue to live on.
According to a Microsoft spokesperson, “Microsoft is not removing Cmd from Windows, but rather changing the default shell, launched via File Explorer and the [Win] + [X] power-user menu, from Cmd to PowerShell. Users can opt to change the default shell back to Cmd via Settings and can continue to launch whichever shell they prefer, be it Cmd,
- Intel and Microsoft are working on technology allowing you to shout out commands to Cortana or activate a Windows 10 PC from sleep mode without being all that close to it.
The chipmaker is working with Microsoft to add "far-field speech recognition" technology, where one can shout out Cortana commands to a Windows PC from longer distances.
"Soon, you’ll be able to speak to your PC from a distance and access all of your information on the device and in the cloud," Navin Shenoy is senior vi
- President Barack Obama has ordered U.S. intelligence agencies to conduct a full review of the cyberattacks that allegedly tried to disrupt this year's election, as his successor Donald Trump casts doubt over Russia's possible involvement. Obama's homeland security advisor Lisa Monaco first mentioned the need for the review while speaking to reporters on Friday morning, according to Politico."We may be crossed into a new threshold, and it is incumbent upon us to take stock of that, to r
- The number of ransomware attacks targeting companies increased threefold from January to September, affecting one in every five businesses worldwide.According to a new report from security company Kaspersky Lab, the rate of ransomware attacks against businesses increased from one every two minutes to one every 40 seconds during that period. For consumers it was even worse, with the rate reaching one attack every 10 seconds in September.During the third quarter of the year, there were 32,091 new
- It’s hard to declare a smartphone perfect, but the Pixel is starting to feel pretty darn close with the latest update pushed out this week. With Android 7.1.1, you get a nice lift-to-wake and screen knock feature that vastly improves the convenience.
Along with those updates, both Pixel and Nexus devices get a number of bug fixes that should bring you an even smoother experience.
Each week, we round up all the major software updates to hit the Android ecosystem, including phones and table
- I had an interesting chat with Michael Fauscette, the chief research officer for G2 Crowd, a site that focuses on reviewing business software and services. His research identified a major trend, the application of artificial intelligence (AI) for HR. I have a degree in this area, and my first career path, which didn’t survive college, was supposed to be in HR so the topic interested me.As we chatted it became clear that Michael and I were in agreement about the future of AI. We both believ
- Samsung foldable phone rumors might be forming a bit more solidity. As originally reported by the South Korea-based Electronic Times and spotted by Android Headlines, the company is developing a pair of foldable dual-screen phones for possible release next year. The company seems eager to move beyond traditional handset designs—and perhaps away from products associated with exploding batteries.
Like the curved Galaxy Round and the original Note 4 Edge, Samsung ap
- Botnets made up of hacked home routers were used to launch distributed denial-of-service attacks against the five largest financial organizations in Russia.
The attacks occurred on Monday, Dec. 5, and were detected and mitigated by Rostelecom, Russia's state-owned telecommunications company. The attacks peaked at 3.2 million packets per second (Mpps) and the longest attack lasted for over two hours, Rostelecom reported Friday.
The company did not provide a bandwidth measurement for the attacks,
- Volvo Cars, seeking to rev up digital projects such as autonomous driving and concierge services, has hired Atif Rafiq as its senior vice president IT and chief digital officer (CDO). Rafiq is joining the Swedish car maker from McDonald's, where he became the burger chain's first CDO in 2013. He replaces Klas Bendrik, senior vice president of IT, who will assist with the transition and leave the company.Volvo said in a statement that Rafiq will oversee the company’s digital transformation,
- Security researchers have confirmed that Visa has no mechanism to prevent attackers from using multiple merchant sites to make unlimited guesses on the values for fields such as CVV2. The potential for real harm from coordinated attacks is huge, but such attacks could also be blockable, now that the flaw has been identified.
Mohammed Ali, a Ph.D. student in Newcastle University’s School of Computing Science and lead author of an IEEE paper on the topic, said the security ho
- The highly rated Chromebook C202 from ASUS features a 180-degree hinge, a spill-resistant keyboard, and a reinforced rubber wrapped frame that meets the daily rigors and intense usage that can happen in and outside the home or classroom. The ASUS Chromebook C202 uses a 360 degree WIFI antenna featuring latest generation 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi which provides strong reception to minimize poor signal connection while you are on-the-go. With a built-in HDMI, USB ports, and a SD card read
- Microsoft’s $26.2 billion acquisition of LinkedIn has officially closed, and the CEOs at both companies are sharing some of the early plans for integration across product lines.
The largest deal in Microsoft’s 41-year history will combine the “world’s leading professional cloud and the world’s leading professional network,” Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella wrote in a blog post. Both companies share a common mission to “help professionals transform how they wo
- For years, business case for the offshore captive IT center model — whereby companies set up their own wholly owned IT service centers abroad — has centered on the benefits of labor arbitrage to generate cost savings. However, as the return on salary differentials has dwindled and the pressure on captive centers to create additional value, companies are looking to other sources of lower costs and increased efficiencies.[ Related: Robotic process automation – Will you be a leade
- Not unlike any other threat analyst, Marc Laliberte's email inbox fills up minute by minute. Some of which has made its way past the spam filter. The WatchGuard employee decided to finally act upon a certain phishing attempt in hopes of teaching the bad guys a lesson. Spear phishing is a type of phishing attack in which the perpetrator customizes their attack to a particular individual or group of individuals. The attacker gathers information on the victim and then tailors the attack to b
- A couple of years back, I had the privilege of working on a project that delivered 'service desk’ services to the U.S. military. I came in as the owner of service design and, to be honest, at the time I thought that the way the project was laid out seemed off. I thought nothing of it after getting in stride. I did my design work as best as I could, and the project was basically working well (or as well as a government project can run).Anyhow, the project ended (funding stopped, basica
- Big data professionals are in big demand, with the need for data processing outpacing the supply of trained data analysts on the job market. As a result, salaries have shot upward, putting them out of the reach of many businesses that don’t have the funds to dedicate to a full-time data scientist. Businesses fully realize that if they want to remain competitive they need access to the same up-to-date data that their competitors have, but are in a fix about how to get there.Fortunately, you
- Microsoft's Azure Notebooks cloud service is adding support for F#, the Microsoft-developed "functional-first" language.
Azure Notebooks, a free service for sharing documents that contain live code and equations, features the Jupyter Notebook web application and is geared to data analysis and data processing scenarios. Previously limited to the R and Python languages, the service can be used for building machine learning models for deployment to Azure.[ The cloud storage security gap — an
- Wow the ones you loveImage by Rob SchultzIf you’re having trouble finding cool gifts for every single person in your life, you’re doing it wrong. In the tech sector alone, there are some great gift-worthy products at every price point—suitable for a variety of personality types, interests, and even tech-savviness (or lack thereof).To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here
- Hiring is a challenge for CIOs, and it won’t get much easier in the coming year, particularly for IT departments that are trying to fill key security and networking roles.To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here(Insider Story)
- Google Photos is a great way to store your personal photos and make them available across different devices -- and with the holiday season upon us, the potential for generating lots of photos is at an especially high level. But the service is far more than just a virtual cloud locker.
Photos has oodles of options, features and possibilities for viewing, manipulating and managing your digital memories. And many of them aren't immediately obvious. Take a few minutes to scan through these tips and
- PowerShell is an enormous addition to the Windows toolbox that gives Windows admins the ability to automate all sorts of tasks, such as rotating logs, deploying patches, and managing users. Whether it's specific Windows administration jobs or security-related tasks such as managing certificates and looking for attack activity, there is a way to do it in PowerShell.To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here(Insider Story)
- Een derde van grote bedrijven wereldwijd is slecht voorbereid op de digitale transformatie. Zes op de tien bedrijven denken dat ze op de goede weg zijn, en 7% hiervan denkt dat hij klaar is met zijn transformatie. Daarop duidt een uitgebreid onderzoek door researchfirma Ovum.De financiële sector is het meest... lees meer
- The U.S. Department of Transportation is considering making it mandatory for airlines to inform passengers before purchasing tickets if they will allow voice calls using mobile wireless devices on board their aircraft, thus hoping to placate customers who could object to having co-passengers talking away on their phones in an enclosed space.An alternative measure would be to ban all voice calls on domestic and international flights to or from the U.S., the DOT said in a proposal for which it has
- Georgia's secretary of state says the state was hit with an attempted hack of its voter registration database from an IP address linked to the federal Department of Homeland Security.
The allegation by Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp is one of the more bizarre charges to come up in the recent spate of alarms about voting-system hacks. He said in a Facebook post on Thursday that he had been made aware of the failed attempt to breach the firewall protecting Georgia's voter registration data
- AMD has called its latest Crimson edition the GPU software update of the year and rightfully so. Called Crimson ReLive, it squeezes more horsepower out of the latest Polaris and older Fury GPUs and makes gaming and VR experiences more compelling.
The Crimson ReLive edition is a must-have for AMD GPU owners. Prominent games like Batman Arkham Knight and Deus Ex: Mankind will look and perform better, and VR images will look much sharper on headsets.
There are many new features in Crimson ReL
- Microsoft today added a new licensing option for Windows Server and SQL Server that extends support by six years, for a total of 16 years of vulnerability patches.
Called "Premium Assurance," the six-year support addendum will be available for Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008, and later. Enterprises may first purchase a support extension in early 2017, Microsoft said today in a post to a company blog by a pair of Microsoft executives.
"[Premium Assurance] helps you continue to meet compl
- BlackBerry on Thursday unveiled a comprehensive mobile-security platform for a wide variety of Internet of Things devices connected to enterprises.
Called BlackBerry Secure, the mobile security software and related services will combine key technologies from recent BlackBerry acquisitions including Good Technology, WatchDox, AtHoc and Encription. The company detailed its efforts in a blog post.
BlackBerry emphasized that the new approach will simplify management and security for smartphones, ta
- A very merry Christmas could give way to a not-so-happy New Year security hangover for enterprises, once a few million more Internet of Things (IoT) devices are unwrapped and migrate from homes into the workplace.
So, a webinar this week hosted by The Security Ledger titled: “Who Let the IoT in?: Finding and securing wireless devices in your environment,” was designed to offer some advance advice on how to cope with it.
Paul Roberts, founder and editor in chief of The Security Ledge
- Microsoft's Cortana virtual assistant is getting a facelift on iOS and Android aimed at making it more useful for users, and also bringing a bit of brightness to what's currently a rather dour interface. The app's biggest change is the launch of a button that lets users quickly choose between a suite of common actions, like viewing their calendar at a glance, checking reminders, or getting a weather forecast. The app itself looks friendlier, with a purple gradient background replacing a sta
- Red Hat OpenShift Dedicated is already available on AWS, and its arrival on Google Cloud Platform (GCP) leaves only one major cloud infrastructure providerout: Microsoft Azure. And I am certain Azure will be supported sooner or later.
With OpenShift Dedicated, Red Hat manages administrative and operational management tasks for customers, freeing them to focus on the development and deployment of their own applications.
According to Red Hat, OpenShift Dedicated on Google Cloud Platform includes:S
- A group of suspected Russian cyberspies blamed for interfering in the U.S. election is also attempting to influence the upcoming vote in Germany, according to the country's domestic intelligence agency.The Russian hacking group known as Fancy Bear or APT 28 has been targeting political parties in the country, Germany's Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution (BfV) intelligence agency said in a statement Thursday posted online by Politico.The hacking activities have led to a su
- The best of the bestOn Tuesday, the App Store editors announced 2016’s best apps and games for iOS devices, alongside popular music, TV, and movie picks from Apple Music and the iTunes Store. Looks like 2016 was quite the year for Apple entertainment. Did your favorite apps and games make the list? Here’s the full rundown.To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here
- Now that Microsoft’s massive $26.2 billion acquisition of LinkedIn has officially closed, it’s time for the next step: figuring out how its massive store of business information can best be used by Microsoft and its customers.
Building upon the company’s integration plan outlined earlier this year, Microsoft chief executive Satya Nadella laid out a set of plans for short-term integration with LinkedIn (in a blog post on LinkedIn, natch), with adv
- The IEEE-USA intends to urge President-elect Donald Trump to quickly replace the random H-1B lottery with a system that gives priority to companies that pay the best wages.
This proposal would also move large H-1B users to the back of the visa distribution line. For this to happen, all it would take is an executive order by the president, the engineering group says.
Separately, the IEEE-USA also wants Trump to prod the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate what it claims is discrimination a
- Audi has announced that select 2017 Audi A4, Q7 and allroad models (built after June 2016) will be able to communicate with Wi-Fi-enabled traffic lights that can inform drivers when red lights will turn green.
Traffic Light Information, an Audi connect PRIME feature, was first announced in August; the automaker demonstrated the technology at a Las Vegas launch event this week.
Audi's "time-to-green" traffic light feature is the first feature to leverage the Audi Traffic Light Information servic
- Download the CIO Nov/Dec 2016 Digital Magazine.To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here(Insider Story)
- I got an email the other day from a reader who claimed I'm doing CIO.com's readers a great disservice by focusing my diversity and inclusion coverage on "identity politics" instead of emphasizing diversity of thought. Identity politics only creates problems, while cognitive diversity solves them, according to this reader.What are "identity politics"? It's the tendency of people from different religious, ethnic, racial and/or social backgrounds to form political alliances to advance issues impor
- These days, just about every business, regardless of size, has a presence on social media. It might be just a Facebook or a Pinterest page, but chances are if you are a small business owner, especially a retailer, you have an account on one of the major social media platforms. And while having a Facebook and Pinterest (as well Twitter and Instagram) page can be beneficial, it can negatively impact your business if you make one (or more) of these nine small business social media mistakes.[ Relate
- Thumbs upImage by Umberto NURSSocial media has become the new cyber battleground. Not only is this landscape growing rapidly, but it also represents one of the most dynamic, unstructured and unregulated datasets anywhere in the digital world. In the wake of the social media revolution, cybercriminals exploit businesses and their customers at a massive scale.To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here
- In November, John Oliver “called it early,” declaring 2016 a truly terrible year. On Thursday, Facebook pretty much backed up that claim, releasing its Year in Review that reveals the most-discussed topics around the world on the social network.
Facebook put together its year in review by ranking the most frequently mentioned topics in Facebook posts between January 1 and November 27. That data was then analyzed (and anonymized) to get a sense of the year’s most discussed issu
- These highly rated and inexpensive Bluetooth sport headphones from Senso promise high quality sound, sweatproof design, a comfortable fit, noise suppression, a long battery life and reliable Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity to your device. All for just $38 currently on Amazon, where the Senso sport headphones average 4.5 out of 5 stars from over 1,560 people (read recent reviews here). See the discounted headphones on Amazon.To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here
- In recognition of the increasingly central role open source technology has played for the networking sector, the Linux Foundation today named Arpit Joshipura as its general manager for networking and orchestration.
Joshipura, a veteran tech executive who has worked at Dell, Ericsson, and Nortel, among others, is considered by the organization to be a foundational contributor to open source software in general and networking in particular. Currently, he’s the chief marketing officer for Pr
BrandPost: 3 Sales and Operations Planning Considerations That Can Make or Break Business Alignment Are You Asking the Right Questions?Are your Sales and Operations (S&OP) meetings and process destined to fail? It happens more often than you might think. Like when S&OP is a one-off process or is simply not as strategic as it could be. Failure even occurs when metrics and incentives are in conflict. These obstacles are largely related to a general misunderstanding of the actual process, its purpose, and lack of company alignment.Luckily, there are three universal questions you can ask in preparation—the a
- Germany-based industrial conglomerate ThyssenKrupp was hit by a cyberespionage attack earlier this year that resulted in data being stolen from its industrial solutions and steel producing units.
An investigation revealed that the attack was carried out by a professional group of hackers from Southeast Asia and targeted technological know-how and research, according to the group,
While hackers managed to steal some information, its exact nature is not clear, with the exception of certain projec
- Donald Trump’s effect on cybersecurity after he’s sworn in as president next month will likely be toward military uses of cyber weapons and stronger tools for law enforcement to crack encryption, but the impact is hard to predict due to the vagueness of his proposals so far.
The most detailed Trump cyber plan is just 175 words long and includes some initiatives that sound like what’s already in place.
On the campaign trail and during debates he occasionally hit the topic, but
- Digital marketers know that current smartphone technology can be used to deliver proximity-based, context-aware messages. Businesses can determine when a customer is close to a particular aisle, or when an employee is at a customer location making a delivery. Knowing where your employees are — in real time — gives you the power to help your mobile workforce stay organized, on track and working as a team. Knowing where your customers are can provide just-in-time personalized communica
Follow @ITExecutiveNews on Twitter!