Employers who could be subject to the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) employer mandate penalties should be very interested in the latest move by the IRS.
The IRS just said it will be accepting “silent” tax returns from individuals this season.
What is a “silent” tax return, you ask? A silent return is one that is filed with the IRS with no response on line 61 of Form 1040. This is the line in which taxpayers must indicate whether they had health insurance for the
- Amidst a sea of controversy surrounding his ties to the fast-food industry and less than 24 hours before his committee hearing was slated to begin, Andrew Puzder withdrew his nomination for DOL Secretary. In his place, President Trump put forth R. Alexander Acosta.
Assuming this pick pans out — which is extremely likely according to a number of sources — what can HR pros expect from the feds under the watch of an Acosta DOL?
According to attorneys and industry experts, employe
- Some thoughts on two different sets of interviews — one to dig into why an employee’s leaving, and one to find out why employees want to stay.Exit interviews get mixed reviews among HR pros. But if you’re going to do them, you need to do them right.
Andrew Lu, writing on Findlaw’s Free Enterprise blog, laid out a framework for conducting these goodbye gabfests without getting into legal trouble.
A rundown of the five steps he suggests:
Use prepared questions — the s
- Several years ago, Jonathan Webb was thinking about how “active design” could improve the workplace. He meant it as a way to describe restructuring a workspace to promote the people inside to adopt healthier habits.
A nonprofit called the Center for Active Design already uses the term to describe utilizing architecture and urban planning to improve public health. Its website argues that in the 1800s, overcrowded cities with poor public health systems led to a high mortality rate from
- It appears the Trump administration is looking to get a Department of Labor (DOL) Secretary in place before deciding what to do with the DOL’s new overtime rule.
About a month ago, on Jan. 25, 2017, the DOL asked for a 30-day extension of the time to file a brief in the court proceeding that could determine the fate of the injunction that is delaying implementation of the rule.
When the DOL asked for the extension, it said it was necessary to “allow incoming leadership per
- Nearly six years ago, Walter Olson, writing as his Overlawyered blog, asked the following question:
“If I could press a button and instantly vaporize one sector of employment law…”?
This was my answer:
The Fair Labor Standards Act. The FLSA needs to go because compliance is impossible. Congress enacted the FLSA during the Great Depression to combat the sweatshops that had taken over our manufacturing sector. In the 70+ years that have passed, it has evolved, via a complex web
- When Microlearning is delivered in a consistent, ongoing way, you have the ability to drive continuous learning, build up knowledge over time, and produce real behavior change that results in improved job performance. This white paper takes a comprehensive look at Microlearning and outlines what’s required for making it a reality in your organization.
- We created this workbook as a result of hundreds of conversations we’ve had with people just like you. This workbook is a response to your need to understand how to strategically incorporate gamification into your learning strategy, in order to drive real business results. It’s designed to be printed, written in and used as a guide.
- New report reveals which areas of the UK are struggling the mostPosted inOpinionon22 Feb 2017Just under half of UK households admit to ‘just about managing’, with 14% admitting to giving up necessities to pay off any unexpected expenses Coventry tops the list with 70% of residents admitting to being JAMS The average UK household suffers 4 unexpected expenses a year, with 18% admitting to not being able to cover the cost of over £100
New research from www.providentpersonalcredit
- Political and economic uncertainty’ is ranked as the top challenge faced by a third of businesses (36 per cent), according to a report by the Recruitment & Employment Confederation (REC). A further one in five (21 per cent) businesses say a ‘shortage of suitable candidates for jobs’ is their main challenge.Posted inNews archiveon22 Feb 2017
Company ProfileRECView profile »For the ninth consecutive month, the REC’s JobsOutlook survey shows a shortage of suitable
- Against a backdrop of economic uncertainty, chief financial officers (CFOs) are focusing on increasing profitability (41%) and driving overall company growth (39%) in the year aheadPosted inNews archiveon22 Feb 2017Four in 10 CFOs and FDs aim to improve financial performance and grow margins Digitisation and automation emerge as a priority Skills development remains a challenge, driving talent management up the CFOs agenda
Against a backdrop of economic uncertainty, chief financial officers (CFO
- New research reveals how Brits lie to their partners about their spending habitsPosted inNews archiveon22 Feb 2017Brits lie about where 5% of their salary goes Over a third of Brits lie to their partner about their spending 1 in 3 married Brits don’t know how much their partner earns
1 in 3 married Brits don’t know how much their partner earns. According to a survey conducted by Paymentsense on 2000 people in a relationship in the UK, people aren’t always honest to their partne
- I think about happiness a lot. I don’t know if it’s on my mind because so many in the country and in the workplace seem to be unhappy these days, but how to be and stay happy gets a lot of my energy, and I don’t mind giving it.
I ran across this Forbes article, “Ten Habits of Incredibly Happy People” by Travis Bradberry, and I decided to adapt it in a diversity context. I’m departing from my usual blog format a bit in that I’m writing to women and minori
- In protest against President Trump’s immigration policy Feb. 16, people nationwide participated in “A Day Without Immigrants.” As part of the protest, many businesses closed their doors to show what our nation would look like without immigrants. In addition, many immigrants simply did not go to work.As a result, many now find themselves unemployed.
A dozen workers at a Catoosa restaurant are without a job after getting fired for skipping work as a show of support
- Facebook doesn't only want to be a tool to connect family and friends. It also wants to be a utility for businesses.Posted inLaunchon21 Feb 2017
The company said on Wednesday it is launching new tools this week to allow businesses in the U.S. and Canada to create job postings through their Facebook Pages, and for job seekers to apply for those openings directly on the social network. The new tools put the company in competition with other recruitment and jobs platfo
- Brand new app supports company drive to get all jobs onlinePosted inLaunchon21 Feb 2017
Company ProfileIndeedView profile » New app lets people post ‘help wanted’ signs online at world’s number one job site 800,000 jobs uploaded with new mobile app, 100,000 since January Launch to help employers and jobseekers find each other Earn rewards for snapping pictures of local job ads
Indeed, the world’s largest job site, today announces the UK launch of Job Spotter, t
- Reaching Out – Achieving Next Generation Candidate Interaction
Posted inNews archiveon21 Feb 2017
Company ProfileBond International SoftwareView profile »Recruiter/candidate interaction has changed fundamentally in recent years. The diverse ways in which recruiters can now reach out to candidates – from social media to job boards, web searches to email – are both exciting and, to be fair, daunting.
While recruiters clearly need to explore and utilise all the tools availab
- Many of our clients are aware that their brand and reputation have a major role in the recruitment process. In actual fact an online skills test invitation can be one of the first times they have been contacted by the company.Posted inNews archiveon21 Feb 2017
Company ProfileRecruitment-AssessmentView profile »To help make that interaction more engaging eSkill have a number of tools to help you... You can create your own email test invitations Your logo is featured in the email invita
- Job hunters across the UK are at risk of jeopardising their career opportunities by making small mistakes on their CV. This is according to the latest research from CV-Library, which found that many candidates’ CVs include spelling mistakes, unrelated skills and irrelevant information, which is pushing businesses to breaking point.Posted inNews archiveon21 Feb 2017
Company ProfileCV-Library.co.ukView profile »According to the study from the UK’s leading independent job site, wh
- Recruitive Software has announced the integration between their cloud-based recruitment software and live candidate database job board, Jropp.Posted inPartnershipson21 Feb 2017
Company ProfileRecruitiveView profile »Founded in 2015, Jropp is one of the UK’s fastest growing job websites, with over 16,000 jobs available on their site for candidates to interact with and has an exciting new approach to recruitment analytics.
Alexander Gray-Johnson, Founder at Jropp comments: “At Jr
Skills gap threat to post-Brexit economy â€“ UK employers spend Â£6bn less on skills than Euro averageCross-party line up of mayoral candidates backs think tank proposal for new devolved ‘Skills Levy’Posted inNews archiveon21 Feb 2017
A new report by IPPR, the progressive policy think tank, has a stark warning for British business leaders and politicians about the state of UK skills. The think tank calls for a £5.1 billion ‘Skills Levy’ to be introduced to boost employer investment and to turbo-charge skills devolution. The report finds:Employer spending on training
- Founded in 2016, Northstar Innovation Group has already landed it’s first award.The pioneering technology was the proud recipient of the inaugural ‘Best Recruitment Technology’ award at Recruitment International’s Supplier Awards.Posted inNews archiveon21 Feb 2017
Northstar is a ground-breaking technological innovation catering to the recruitment industry. It enables businesses to harness their performance and expose growth opportunities.
Founder and Director, Glyn Blaize
- Sacker & Partners LLP, the UK’s leading law firm for pensions and retirement savings, has been named as a Top UK Employer by the Top Employers Institute for the eight consecutive year in recognition of its exceptional working conditions and talent development.Posted inNews archiveon21 Feb 2017
Sackers was officially acknowledged for excellence in several key areas, including talent strategy, workforce planning, on-boarding, learning and development, performance management, leadership,
- How resilient are graduates? How are universities preparing graduates for work? How is career guidance impacting on career readiness? How prepared are students for video interviews? How work-ready are doctoral graduates?Posted inNews archiveon21 Feb 2017
Company ProfileProspectsView profile »These are just some of the questions answered in the winter edition of Prospects Graduate Market Trends report published today.
This special edition showcases the latest research projects by university
- Why blockchain for recruitment might be a future HR trend
Could blockchain -- with its ability to validate facts and transactions -- promote efficiencies in recruitment and other areas of concern for HR leaders? We take a look. This Article Covers. Talent Management and Recruiting. RELATED TOPICS. HR/HCM ...
- House G.O.P. announces first round of health care reform goals on Thursday, Feb. 16.
House Republicans announced an ACA replacement plan on Thursday, Feb, 16., the first time they have released concrete details of a potential strategy. G.O.P. leadership released a 19-page long document which provides general goals for health care reform rather than specific details.
The plan would immediately eliminate tax penalties and relieve the financial burden tied to both the individual and employer m
- Do we forge ahead with the changes we put in place to comply with the new rule or do we simply revert back to what we were doing before the DOL’s overtime changes?
That’s a question employers everywhere are asking themselves as they wait for the fate of the DOL’s overtime rule to be sealed.
Manta, an online resource for small businesses, recently attempted to find out exactly which route small businesses took.
It asked 1,170 small business owners about their reaction to
- As an increasing number of employees are being asked to make smarter healthcare spending decisions, communication is more important than ever. Unfortunately, it looks like many firms have a lot of room for improvement.
That’s one of the alarming takeaways from healthcare administrator Alegeus’ recent “State of Denial” study.
A number of the stats from the study point to a major employee healthcare problem that’s only getting worse. That problem: While employe
- The long list of activities HR leaders are managing can be daunting, and many are unsure where to place their bets. Find out the top three things your peers are prioritizing by downloading this report.
- Professional writers can greatly enhance your company’s visibility, outreach and bottom line.Posted inOpinionon17 Feb 2017
Whether it’s providing content for your corporate blog, promoting your products and services through collateral material created, or drafting procedural manuals to clearly outline staff expectations; they are key players in meeting many of your business objectives.
Writers can save time, money, stress and allow busy executives to focus on other important aspects
- The AA – one of the UK’s most trusted commercial brands – has launched a brand new interactive careers website to attract talent in a smart and compelling way.Posted inNews archiveon17 Feb 2017Compelling new interactive careers website Career site ‘chat-bot’ Candidates explore their suitability before applying New site ‘a journey of discovery’
The AA – one of the UK’s most trusted commercial brands – has launched a brand new interactive
- A new report commissioned by Samsung predicts that HR is destined to become the most influential role in future businessesPosted inNews archiveon17 Feb 2017
A new report commissioned by Samsung reveals that by 2020, the impact that changes in society and technology will have upon the future of the workplace will elevate Human Resources (HR) to a powerful new role with the arrival of what Samsung calls the ‘Open Economy’. Within this future world, a new breed of ultra-flexible freelan
- HotLizard are excited to present the RecruiterSites platform available to be used as a dual branded client Microsite.Posted inNews archiveon17 Feb 2017
Company ProfileHotLizardView profile »This allows key clients to benefit from delivering a first class candidate user experience, whilst ensuring that their brand’s key messages and values are being maintained. HotLizard are aware that Microsite sites are often used as part of specific campaigns, so are offering any dual branded Micro
- So many people complain that they feel “trapped” in their job, unable to see a different path or figure out how to make changes. If you’re looking for a sense of freedom, and that feeling that you are the one in control of your career destiny, then starting your very own consulting business could be the answer. Posted inNews archiveon17 Feb 2017
While it’s not really something you hear people talking about, the fact of the matter is that working as a consultant can offer
- ARC is delighted to announce a host of new members across a range of different sectors and sizes.Posted inNews archiveon17 Feb 2017
Company ProfileThe Association of Recruitment Consultancies - ARCView profile »Commenting on this Adrian Marlowe, chairman of the Association of Recruitment Consultancies (ARC) said “We are delighted to have seen an increase in the number of new members joining the Association recently and welcome all. Looking at our new joiners, it is clear that ARC has
- Posted inOpinionImagine a situation: you've been looking for a job, passed several interviews, got a call from the company and finally were accepted. Hurrah! This is great news!on17 Feb 2017
However, there are some pitfalls that you should try to identify before changing the line of your life. If you’re still in doubt of whether to accept the job offer, this article is just for you!
You’re willing to spend time not only on money making but also on something interesting and perspectiv
- Posted inNews archiveBefore we go on to elaborate on the methods of improving employee engagement, we need to make sure we are on the same page when it comes to the notion itself.on17 Feb 2017
There are many similar definitions of the term, but they all basically suggest that it includes emotional investment towards the company and its goals. An engaged employee does not only think about their paycheck, but they want to be actively involved in creating strategies and in the monitoring process. T
- Phil Sheridan, Senior Managing Director at Robert HalfPosted inOpinionon17 Feb 2017
“Businesses in the UK can breathe a small sigh of relief as workplace productivity shows signs of improvement. Despite a 0.3% rise in productivity in Q4, far more can be done to drive efficiency further and assist businesses to reap the benefits. The main cause of workplace inertia, is staff feeling disengaged and demotivated.
Employees who are burned out or frustrated are far less productive, unlike their
- Reacting to the latest ONS Labour Market Statistics, released today, Lee Biggins, founder and managing director of CV-Library, comments:Posted inOpinionon17 Feb 2017
Company ProfileCV-Library.co.ukView profile »“The employment rate is continuing to climb, which is positive news given that the final few months of the year can often see hiring levels stagnate. Our own data for the same period (October – December 2016, inclusive) found that jobs were up by 14.4% when comparing fig
- The average Millennial is able to save just £103 a month, or £1,236 a year, research from giffgaff money can reveal. This means they’re projected to work until they’re 77 years old before they have enough money to enjoy retirement*.Posted inStatistics and trendson17 Feb 2017
The research is part of a recent survey into Millennial spending habits and their ability to save money – which also found that almost half of Millennials (49%) are unable to pay into a pension
- Global talent acquisition and management firm, Alexander Mann Solutions, has highlighted the need for multinational organisations to take a more collaborative approach to sourcing and retaining talent, in view of increasing HR costs.Posted inNews archiveon17 Feb 2017
According to benchmarking data from professional services firm PwC, HR costs for multinational organisations can be up to 50% higher than non-multinational operators in the same sector. Figures from PwC also revealed that a highly d
- Only recruitment trade body chosen to speak at first evidence session set up by Prime MinisterPosted inNews archiveon17 Feb 2017Professional contractors need to be differentiated from broader gig economy Employment Status should not be driven by tax law
The Association of Professional Staffing Companies (APSCo) has today (Tuesday) given evidence at the independent review of employment practices in the modern economy led by Matthew Taylor, and set up by the Prime Minister.
The purpose of the revi
- There is a revolution taking place in HR – times, roles and society, they’re all changing and HR needs to adapt quickly to the fast-paced modern challenges of today.Posted inNews archiveon17 Feb 2017
Holmes Noble, leading executive search and interim firm whose HR Practice is led by Michelle Carson-Williams, founder and CEO, has launched a discussion paper that focuses on the insights and trends driving the HR revolution as identified by HR directors across many sectors.
The paper -
- European employees have a strong appetite for international work, as almost three quarters (74%) would consider other countries for career opportunities, according to research by ADP. Posted inNews archiveon17 Feb 201774% of employees in Europe would consider career opportunities abroad Germany, the UK and France top the list of countries where European employees would most like to work Western and Northern Europe dominate the list, making up 14 of the top 20 choices UK employees least intereste
- When an employee goes on leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), it can pay to double-check that your FMLA record-keeping processes are up to snuff in case your FMLA administration/processes are ever called into question.
Employment law attorneys recommend periodic internal audits of all record-keeping practices. That way, if there’s ever a dispute, you’ll be able to produce the required documentation — not to mention stay in compliance with federal laws.
- Two-thirds of Fortune 500 grade poorly on recruitment marketing
A new survey released by SmashFly indicates that only around a third of all Fortune 500 firms are earning As or Bs when it comes to recruitment marketing, reports SHRM. The survey was compiled by analyzing how companies find, attract, engage and ...
- Recruitment platform WayUp aims to reduce unconscious biases
Artificial intelligence tools are seeing increased adoption in the drive to end unconscious bias in recruiting, reports Fast Company. Many of the current AI products use keyword recognition or data masking to prevent bias in hiring. WayUp, a platform ...
- Companies can use the digital reward approach year-round for employee recognition programs.
With unemployment rates hovering around 4.5 percent and millennials taking over the majority of our workforce, it’s more important than ever for employers to find ways to engage and build loyalty among their employee base. When developing a reward strategy, many HR professionals are looking not only for easy integration with existing platforms, but also the right technology and incentive that resona
- Workforce editors Rick Bell and Frank Kalman discuss the workplace implications of federal court rejection of two major health insurer mergers. Also, find out what happened when the U.S. got rid of its guest worker program in the 1960s and the latest on Zenefits.
The post 5MM: Insurer Deal Rejected; A Blast from Labor’s Past appeared first on Workforce Magazine.
- Late Feb. 15, news broke that Andy Puzder, Donald Trump’s pick for secretary of labor, had withdrawn his name from consideration, just one day before his oft-postponed confirmation hearing was to take place.
Like Trump’s immigration ban, opposing Puzder’s nomination was not a political issue, but a right/wrong issue. Had I had the chance to ask Andy Puzder a question during his confirmation hearing, I would have asked the following:
Can you reconcile your potential position as
Follow @HRRecruitmentUS on Twitter!