Food market news of the week - UK action plan on exports, Bel strikes MOM Brands deal, BRF to invest in COFCO pork armThis week, the UK government announced how it hopes to support the country's food exporters, French cheese giant Bel said a deal had been struck to buy a majority stake in dessert and snack maker MOM Brands and Brazilian meat group BRF said it plans to invest in the soon-to-be-listed pork arm of state-backed, Chinese agri-food operator COFCO.
Food market quotes of the week - FDF on Brexit, Bel buys into MOM Brands, Danone gets US criticism over GMOsThis week, Bel struck a deal to buy a majority stake in fellow French group MOM Brands. Another French food major, Danone, faced criticism in the US over its plans for GMO ingredients. US snack maker Utz Quality Foods accepted the backing of investment firm Metropoulos & Co. Nestle's third-quarter sales disappointed some in the investment community and we spoke to the director general of UK trade body the Food and Drink Federation about the impact Brexit could have on the sector.
- Law firm Gainey McKenna & Egleston has launched a class action lawsuit on behalf of Tyson Foods investors alleging the company concealed collusion with other leading US poultry processors to fix chicken prices.
- The EU has given the green light to Italy's plans for origin labels for milk and dairy products sold in Italy.
- Bel Group has finalised a deal that will see it acquire 65% of MOM Brands from investment firm LBO France.
- UK yogurt producers are to meet officials from Public Health England next month in a bid to get a "clearer definition" of what health chiefs consider to be added sugars in products.
- Better lighting not only optimizes picking and lowers electricity bills, it also enhances safety.
- Bazooka candy maker Topps Co. has promoted its president and chief operating officer, Michael Brandstaedter, to the post of CEO.
- Thai food giant Charoen Pokphand Foods is building a production plant in Thailand to produce "healthy soup" aimed at "elderly people and patients".
- French food group Tipiak has booked a 2.2% increase in third-quarter sales following what it said was a period of "moderate cumulative growth".
- French food group Tipiak has booked a 2.2% increase in nine-month sales following what it said was a period of "moderate cumulative growth".
- European meat group HKScan has lowered its full-year profit forecast on weaker sales and higher costs.
- US jerky maker Jack Link's has added breakfast to its portfolio with the launch of four bacon and sausage items for a "portable protein-packed breakfast on the run".
- Stratas Foods, a leading supplier of fats and oils to the foodservice, food ingredient, and retail private label markets in North America, has completed the purchase of Supreme Oil Co., based in Englewood, N.J. Supreme offers a variety of oils, shortenings, mayonnaise, and dressings to the foodservice and retail industries.
- The German Sustainability Award Foundation nominated Symrise for the 2016 German Sustainability Award in recognition of its pioneering work in biodiversity and the sustainability of its supply chain.
- Fruit d’Or has formed a relationship with Taiyo to create SunCran, a new branded ingredient that combines Fruit d’Or’s organic cranberry juice powder with Taiyo’s Sunfiber soluble guar fiber.
- The Dannon Co. launched its 2016–2017 Gut Microbiome, Yogurt and Probiotics Dannon Fellowship Grant program as a part of its continued commitment to support scientists and advance cutting-edge research across the country.
- Ardent Mills entered into an agreement with Armour Specialty Marketing to produce and sell Ultragrain Pasta into the foodservice and food manufacturing channels.
- Labeling food products as “light” may affect how consumers perceive their taste, according to a study that appeared in the journal Nutrients.
Secret sauce for food innovation is a pinch of tech
Nathan Myhrvold dishes on the future of food at the Vanity Fair New Establishment Summit. Screenshot by Alfred Ng/CNET. The future will be delicious when you can 3-D print your own pizza. Technology was the secret ingredient behind the rise of ice ...and more »
- Huffington Post
A Sustainable Food System Could Be A Trillion-Dollar Global Windfall
A new report makes a strong bottom-line case for more earth-friendly farming — and eating — practices. 10/20/2016 06:00 pm ET. Joseph Erbentraut Senior Reporter, The Huffington Post. Credit: Larry French/AP Images for DuPont. A more sustainable ...and more »
- CBS Local
Framingham State University Food Study Helps Students Beat The 'Freshman 15'
“Freshman usually gain the 'Freshman 15,' but for me it was the 'Freshman 20',” said Keith Marcoccia. The Framingham State University sophomore is among the dozens of people who are now part of an on-campus eating experiment. Keith Marcoccia.
- The FDA has updated guidance to help it respond more quickly and more accurately in the event of food-related emergencies.
- New York Post
Giants' Damon Harrison knows all the best food spots in London
New York Post
Damon Harrison didn't know a lot about England the first time he visited in October 2015 as a member of the Jets. Now, a year later, armed with his added cultural knowledge and a massive free-agent contract, the big defensive lineman is excited to make ...
- The retail giant has launched the Walmart Food Safety Collaboration Center with a celebration at the Westin Financial Street hotel in Beijing.
The food industry decides what we're told is healthy — and an obscure court case reveals how it's done - Business InsiderBusiness Insider
The food industry decides what we're told is healthy — and an obscure court case reveals how it's done
Every five years, the US government tries to distill and articulate what's healthy and what isn't. These Dietary Guidelines are a big deal — they're meant to help guide America's eating choices, steering people toward more nutritious foods and away ...and more »
- The largest independent salty snack company in the United States and an investment firm are forming a new partnership.
Shake Shack opens at Wells Fargo Center, more food options for fans
You can now watch the Philadelphia 76ers and Flyers while eating a burger from Shake Shack at the Wells Fargo Center in South Philadelphia. Officials cut the ribbon on Thursday at the Wells Fargo Center, which has become the first NBA and NHL arena to ...
- Admitting you have a problem is the first step in solving it. So Pepsi saying publically that it knows there’s too much sugar in many of its drinks is a big deal
'American Idol' Alum Taylor Hicks to Host New Food and Travel Show 'State Plate': Exclusive Video - BillboardBillboard
'American Idol' Alum Taylor Hicks to Host New Food and Travel Show 'State Plate': Exclusive Video
As the owner of Saw's Juke Joint, a barbecue and blues bar in Birmingham, Alabama, American Idol Season 5 winner Taylor Hicks knows a little something about good food. “You can't be from Alabama and not be a foodie,” he tells Billboard. Hicks will put ...and more »
- Chicago Tribune
Glenbrook South club serves up food, companionship
The launch of the monthly Food with Friends supper on Oct. 18 drew two large tables of diners at St. David's Episcopal Church in Glenview. The hot meal was provided by Glenbrook South High School's Interact Club, in partnership with St. David's ...
- PepsiCo, Inc. has announced an ambitious global sustainability agenda, with goals ranging from reducing the amount of sugar in its products, to helping women and girls around the world.
- Baltimore Sun (blog)
'Food for Thought' lecture comes to Baltimore Museum of Industry
Baltimore Sun (blog)
The Baltimore Museum of Industry will host a lecture dubbed "Food for Thought" featuring local food companies Oct. 27. The Baltimore Museum of Industry will host a lecture dubbed "Food for Thought" featuring local food companies Oct. 27. (Colin ...
- Grub Street
Facebook Has Launched a Food-Delivery Service, Too
Better late than never appears to be Facebook's new motto: The social network has added a food-delivery feature that lets people order directly from restaurants' pages, becoming roughly the 12,000th way to buy dinner online in the year 2016. Andrew ...
Facebook Users Can Now Order Food Through PagesFood & Wine
You Can Now Order Food Through Facebook, Making Everything Even EasierPaste Magazine
You Can Now Order
- Watch The Best Food Porn While Eating At This Year's Food Film Festival
Watching films about food is usually bittersweet, since you're probably not skilled enough in the kitchen to replicate what you see on your screen. The annual Food Film Festival, which returns to NYC today for its 10th anniversary, gives you a chance ...
- WBAL Baltimore
Mission BBQ launches first food boat
Customer service is taking on a whole new meaning in Annapolis where you can now get food delivered to you on the water. Mission BBQ has launched its first food boat. Photos. Customer service is taking on a whole new meaning in Annapolis where you ...and more »
USDA Seeks Applications for Next Round of Food Insecurity Nutrition Incentive Program Grants - USDA.gov (press release)USDA Seeks Applications for Next Round of Food Insecurity Nutrition Incentive Program Grants
USDA.gov (press release)
WASHINGTON, Oct. 20, 2016 – The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) today announced the availability of up to $16.7 million in competitive grant funding to increase the purchase of fruits and vegetables by families and households participating in the ...and more »
Baltimore County deli makes Food Network list of best cheesesteaks outside Philadelphia - Baltimore Sun (blog)Baltimore Sun (blog)
Baltimore County deli makes Food Network list of best cheesesteaks outside Philadelphia
Baltimore Sun (blog)
Ravage Deli in Nottingham was named among a list of 10 "Best Philly Cheesesteaks Outside of Philadelphia" published recently by the Food Network. (Barbara Haddock Taylor/Baltimore Sun video). Ravage Deli in Nottingham was named among a list of 10 ...
- Arla Foods has extended its dairy brand line-up in the UK with the launch of Arla Quark to cater for what the co-op called "the relatively unknown but fastest-growing cheese category in the UK".
- Frozen food producer buys Bellisio Foods facility
Food Business News (registration)
Buddy's Kitchen is known for supplying custom gourmet breakfast products for airline and convenience food service. MINNEAPOLIS — Buddy's Kitchen, Inc., a provider of custom solutions in ready-to-eat frozen food for travel, convenience and retail ...and more »
President Obama Allows Hot Food to be Purchased with Food Stamps
President Obama has not passed a law removing a restriction that bars food stamp recipients from purchasing hot food items with SNAP benefits. Kim LaCapria. Oct 20, 2016. Share. 39. 40. Claim: President Obama passed a law enabling food stamp ...
- Havest Public Media
Food program gap can put families at risk
Havest Public Media
All students at Battle Elementary School in Columbia, Mo., have access to a free breakfast every school day. (Kristofor Husted/Harvest Public Media). Oct. 20, 2016. Use two fingers to move the map. Map Data. Map data ©2016 Google, INEGI. Map DataMap ...and more »
Food Merchants At Tijuana Border Fight For Their Right To Feed
On a blistering 90-degree day, Nelly Carrillo stands over her stove, placing a chorizo and potato sope onto the oiled cast-iron skillet. The thick, fried tortilla sizzles, and she wipes sweat off her brow with the back of her softly wrinkled hands. You ...and more »
- Creative Loafing Atlanta
Atlanta weekend food events: Oct. 21-23
Creative Loafing Atlanta
Purple Corkscrew Fri., Oct. 21, 5-9 p.m. Global Champagne Day Celebration Enjoy an evening of champagne at the Purple Corkscrew as they celebrate Global Champagne Day. Guests will enjoy six tastings, hors d'oeuvres from Chef Paula, and will receive ...
- Apples to Soup: Administrative State Creates Food Crimes
How red is my apple? How much chicken is in my soup? Giving the wrong answer under federal regulations might make criminals out of food producers. (Photo: iStock Photos). Commentary By. David Rosenthal / @DL_Rosenthal. David Rosenthal is a visiting ...
- austin360 (blog)
5 Austin bars where food is as good as the drinks
Knoxy Knox. Backbeat opened as a cocktail bar (with beer and wine as well), but its owners made sure to have a small menu of well-made food items as well. Tomorrow's Austin360 cover story — which is online now — will be all about the best places in ...
- Flagship Europe said that it is expanding in the foodservice sector with the acquisition of Calder Foods, a manufacturer of "food-to-go" products.
- Fresh Express has launched a new line of organic salad kits in the US.
- The spat between Unilever and Tesco in the UK over price grabbed the headlines last week but, across Europe, for different reasons, price remains a critical issue for the FMCG sector. Consumers remain price sensitive despite improving economic conditions and are wasting less, meaning growth is hard to come by. IRI's Anne Lefranc looks at ways suppliers and retailers could work together to drive sales and profits.
- Australia is seen as one of the markets where low-FODMAP foods have gained the most traction. Dean Best speaks to Martine and Ronnie Banks, the founders of local business Some Foods about why they set up the company, the prospects for low-FODMAP foods in Australia and their ambitions overseas.
Follow @Food_news_usa on Twitter!