- I was so excited to be on NPR Weekend Edition today– what a great experience. Hear me talk about Carve the Mark, Cyra and her supernatural chronic pain, and anxious troll brain above or at the link!
- My publisher, HarperCollins, commissioned art from the super talented Gabriel Picolo (Instagram) and Morgana Wallace (Instagram; Tumblr) for the three main characters of Carve the Mark, and it is gorgeous. The art was based on descriptions from the book (obvs), and I love seeing the different interpretations of the characters– who are all simultaneously a complete surprise and a lot like what I imagined.Just five days until you can meet them for yourself!
From top to bottom (Morgana’
- badassladiesyoushouldknow:Badass Ladies You Should Know:
Author Veronica Roth
I know, I know. You already know Veronica Roth. You know she’s the author of the Divergent series, a book she wrote during college, that’s sold multiple millions of copies and stayed on the NYT bestseller list for years. You know the series was made into movies, and you probably know that her next book, Carve the Mark, is releasing next week as one of the most anticipated books of 2017.
But although I
- firstdraftwithsarahenni:Author of the DIVERGENT series Veronica Roth - whose new book, CARVE THE MARK, is out Jan. 17 - returns to the podcast to update me on what she’s been up to since her last episode, giving her story ideas code names, why she’s obsessed with iron grates over windows, and why she decided her next novel should be set in space.Veronica Roth Show Notes FOUR, the collection of Divergent short stories The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling “Inertia,&rdq
letaliabane:There will never be another President and First Lady like the Obamas. Don’t go!!!!!!
Feast Your Eyes on This Carve The Mark Character Art
Ryzek, The Shotet Dictator - Carve The Mark by Veronica Roth
- This is the map of the Carve the Mark solar system that’s in the front of the book, and I. Am. In. Love. With. It.If you want to know a little more about the world of Carve the Mark, check out Epic Reads’ post here!
- “We’re all afraid. The angry more than most, I think.” - Carve the Mark10 days until it comes out! AHHHH!
- In case you find this helpful!If you can’t watch the video, Epic Reads wrote the pronunciations out phonetically here.However, I do want to note that as far as I’m concerned, you can say the words/names however you like! So no need to fret about thinking the words “wrong” in your head.
- You can find Gabriel Picolo on Instagram at @_picolo and Morgana Wallace here on Tumblr at http://morgana-m-wallace.tumblr.com/They are super talented, holy crap.
bexli-nelhah:adriofthedead:holdmybee:intrases:wall void cube…. k
“I CAN GRUNT”unknown sadness
skalearning forbidden unknown.
I’ma become a Sith Lord! \o/Unicorn about sadness.. Oh no..
Perpetual chicken crunch.
This is either really good, or really, really bad.Cannon moon space.
Sounds like I’m going on an adventure.Dentist rabbit cask
- Veronica Roth's Resolution: Fight for a Better World: or, one way to think about Doing the Thing (while still taking good care of yourself) in 2017.
- “Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident.”- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016), on pursuing one’s dreams while mentally ill. (via galaxy-journal)
- “This body had carried me through a hard life. It looked exactly the way it was supposed to.” - Cyra, Carve the Mark, in a moment of body positivity
- “She had steady hands and an even temper and a sharp mind. More than just a sweet person with a good disposition, as if anyone was just that.” – Akos, describing his sister Cisi, Carve the Mark
- “Why should I be disrespectful to the young reader by shielding them from what they already know?”- Jason Reynolds, author of GHOST, a Finalist for the 2016 National Book Award for Young People’s Literature (via yahighway)
This Woman Helped A Little Boy Overcome His Fear Of Sleeping Alone By Painting An Awesome Galaxy In His RoomWANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANTI might have to do this now.
- margaretstohl:check out this great pic from my visit to #Kadima middle school - prolly talking videogames or comics here - 8th graders are so my peers!
Margie, being the best at school visits, as ever.
- “I wanted to show these people who he really was. And pain always did that, took the insides out.” - Cyra, Carve the Mark
- Oh, it’s gonna get wacky.
- How to get a copy of We Can Be Mended
Pre-order Carve the Mark online or at your local bookstore or purchase it the first day of on sale––January 17, 2017Upload a photo or screenshot of your receipt and submit your information here. This step must be completed by January 17, 2017 and you must be a resident of the U.S. or Canada.This campaign has been offered to all Carve the Mark translation publishers globally. We will include participating translation publishers here once we have i
- So excited to share We Can Be Mended, the epilogue to the Divergent series, as a gift with pre-order of Carve the Mark! Visit carvethemarkbooks.com for more details on how to get your copy.–Hey! It’s Veronica. I have some news for you.A little while ago, my editor asked me if I had anything special written because she wanted to offer something to people who pre-ordered Carve the Mark since they’re usually the same people who supported the Divergent books so much. I told her tha
- The trailer for #CarveTheMark is here! Hope you enjoy it :)
- “That is the distinct feature of all my children. They are persistent. To the point of delusion, some might say.” - Sifa, Akos’s mother, Carve the Mark(If there’s a quote that defines Akos to me, this might just be it.)
- Canadians!I am coming to Toronto in January! And I am excited about it!Come see me! Exclamation points!!!Events Info here:www.Indigo.ca/events
Friday, January 27th at 7:00 PMIndigo YorkdaleYorkdale Shopping Centre, 3401 Dufferin St Toronto, ON
Saturday, January 28th at 11:00 AMChapters Waterloo428 King St N, Waterloo, ON (519) 886-4015
More about the rest of the Carve the Mark tour (or “sojourn”) here!
- WHAT YOU CAN DO TO FIGHT HATE: “We’ve gotten so used to not having to change anything, that we’ve forgotten how one goes about changing things.”Thank you for this, Sabaa!
- “You’re determined to deprive me of fun.”“That’s because apparently, your version of ‘fun’ is making me believe I’m in mortal peril.”– Cyra and Akos, Carve the Mark
- peed-so-hard-i-laughed:actualdogvines:the fluffs have been releasedPUP LOAFS
- Fox 2000 Buys ‘Divergent’ Author Veronica Roth’s ‘Inertia’: Exciting news!
- Hey all. This is my schedule for Yallfest (Charleston, SC), if you can make it out. <3
Friday, November 11
Signing at Kudu Coffee100 person limit, wristbands are first come, first served
Saturday, November 12
Panel: SCI FI VS. FANTASY THROWDOWN
Charleston Music Hall37 John StreetWith Daniel José Older, Renee Ahdieh, Suzanne Young, Amie Kaufman, and Leigh Bardugo.
"Though much is taken, much abides; and though We are not now that strength which in old days Moved..."“Though much is taken, much abides; and thoughWe are not now that strength which in old daysMoved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,One equal temper of heroic hearts,Made weak by time and fate, but strong in willTo strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”- “Ulysses,” Lord Alfred Tennyson. (Read the full poem here.)
- “We knew how to hold the beauty of old things against the beauty of the new, losing nothing from either.” - Cyra, Carve the MarkMark (re: Shotet culture.)
My mom helped me with this one– she did the background and I wrote the words. Happy birthday, Mom. ❤️
Sonder: The realization that each passerby has a life as vivid and complex as your own.Opia: The ambiguous intensity of Looking someone in the eye, which can feel simultaneously invasive and vulnerable.Monachopsis: The subtle but persistent feeling of being out of place.Énouement: The bittersweetness of having arrived in the future, seeing how things turn out, but not being able to tell your past self.Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookshops.Rubatosis: The uns
- itscolossal:Intricate Mandalas Gilded with Gold Leaf by Artist Asmahan A. Mosleh
- ladyoferudite:Divergent faction symbol Halloween pumpkins!
- a bro: actually I'm a devil's advocatesatan: *appears from hell* you're not even a lawyer, chad
- Instagram photo by veronica roth • Oct 28, 2016 at 4:19pm UTC: “I had all the subtlety of a fist to the face.” - Cyra, Carve the MarkSame, Cyra.
Every Friday I’m going to post a little sketch of a CtM quote, so stay tuned!
- OH HI.CHECK THIS OUT.Then come back.So, a “sojourn,” in Carve the Mark, is a cultural practice that the Shotet people (you’ll get to know them later) participate in annually. Basically, they travel through the galaxy, then land on a planet to scavenge, searching for valuable materials or items to repurpose. This practice requires them to learn about the places they visit– the languages, the customs, and in some cases, even how to survive in harsh climates.My plan for the
- divergentofficial:Dear Divergent Readers,
A lot of you have been asking me what’s happening with the Ascendant movie. (If
you don’t know what I’m talking about, I direct you here and here.)
I was not
a part of the decision to split the last book into two parts, though I was curious to see how the movie team would
accomplish it. And now the situation is a little uncertain as Lionsgate pursues
another avenue for the final installment of the series. I, like you, am waiting
- Instagram photo by veronica roth • Oct 21, 2016 at 11:07pm UTC: (quote caption: “Hushflowers always bloomed when the night was longest. The whole city celebrated the day the bundle of petals peeled apart into rich red– partly because hushflowers were their nation’s lifeblood, and partly, Akos thought, to keep them all from going crazy in the cold.”)The first lines of Carve the Mark!
- Channeling my inner Romanoff, because Black Widow: Red Vengeance by @margaret_stohl is heeeeeeere!
"You are born into a family and those are your people, and they know you and they love you and if you..."“You are born into a family and those are your people, and they know you and they love you and if you are lucky they even, on occasion, manage to understand you. And that ought to be enough. But it is never enough. Abe had not been dressing up, styling himself, for all these years because he was trying to prove how different he was from everyone else. He did it in the hope of attracting the attention of somebody else—somewhere, someday—who was the same. He was not flying his fr
- A video posted by veronica roth (@vrothbooks) on Sep 28, 2016 at 9:50am PDT
The story of my first time, as requested by @margaret_stohl. Tag, you’re it, @brendan.reichs and @kristinhalbrook! rtvote.com/firstvote16 #rockthevote #firstvote16
- Stop World Pig Domination! (And give cancer the metaphorical finger.): I may command a small army of piggie banks by the end of this. If you don’t welcome our pig overlords, bid here.
- petterscholander:All seven Harry Potter stories - in one poster.Full Portfolio: www.petterscholander.com
- Writing Song: “Leave Me Alone,” MS MR
- one of my favorite fictional friendships
- neonghouls:Here is compilation of rainy day’s for @chewdollars
- reblogging because I’ve been looking for this exact gifset!
and also it’s awesome
- trashybooksforladies:How do you dramatize stasis (waiting for it)? You give the audience a glimpse of the immense self-control that makes it possible. I make you wait even for the words “wait for it”.
Follow @VeronicaRothNws on Twitter!