- Saints quarterback Drew Brees should have made it to the Pro Bowl as part of the original roster. He didn’t. He now has. The team has announced that Brees will replace Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan in the Pro Bowl. Ryan has a date with a slightly bigger game in Houston one week later. It will…
- Background reading: Part I Part II Part III Part IV Part V (Career Passer Ratings) In the interest of making all data available to you, the reader, the table below shows the averages for each professional football league since 1932 in the relevant passing statistics used to calculate passer rating:
- According to CBS Sports Jason La Canfora, the Indianapolis Colts and team owner Jim Irsaytried trading for the New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton in recent weeks:
"For the second straight offseason there were backchannel communications between the Colts and Saints about a possible trade...
- The Seattle Seahawks are currently at a place that many Americans did not believe they would be. Back at home. Seattle has been sent home in the divisional round for the second consecutive season. There has been one difference between this Seahawks team, and the Seahawks team that made the Super Bow
- The 49ers could soon have a well-regarded offensive mind at the helm if Kyle Shanahan accepts their forthcoming head coaching offer. As the Falcons’ offensive coordinator, Shanahan has worked with a high-end quarterback in Matt Ryan over the past two years. In San Francisco, regardless of whet
- Background reading: Part I Part II Part III Part IV All week, I have been discussing how to adjust passer rating by era. Now that I have explained the formula, it’s time to generate the results. In a given season, ratings won’t change (unless a player moves below or above a limit as a re
- 2016 was a terrible year for the New York Jets. Not only did they finish 5-11, but they did so in a year where they were supposed to be competitive.
The post Previewing the 2017 New York Jets Schedule appeared first on Last Word on Pro Football.
- The Houston Texans are out and only four teams remain standing in the 2017 NFL playoffs.
The Houston Texans are out and only four teams remain standing in the 2017 NFL playoffs.They all have one thing in common -- elite play at the most important position in football.Yes, I'm talking a
- A Commitment to Run When the Ravens hired Marc Trestman as their offensive coordinator (âOCâ) for the 2015 season, I wrote a piece titled âBalance is Key in Ravens Offenseâ. In that piece I provided statistics that showed a correlation … Continue reading →
The post Ravens Need Balance ap
- The Arizona Cardinals currently hold the 13th overall pick in this yearâs draft. The obvious pick would be a linebacker or defensive back, unless Deshaun Watson becomes a victim of being overanalyzed and drops. However, there is one player that the Cards should avoid drafting at all costs. I am trut
- After just turning age 36 on January 3rd, Eli Manning is in the final saga of his career. It's his time to truly define his legacy as a player and team leader.
The post Eli Manning: The Final Saga appeared first on Last Word on Pro Football.
- New Orleans Saints 2016 fantasy football recap. A discussion of how their players did in fantasy in 2016 and a fantasy preview for the 2017 season.
The post New Orleans Saints 2016 Fantasy Football Recap appeared first on Last Word on Pro Football.
- With the All-Pro votes now in, the initial 2016 Approximate Value numbers have been released by PFR. Here are the leaders: Query Results Table Games Misc Draft Tm GS PB AVâ¼ 1 Matt Ryan 2016 31 1-3 ATL NFL 16 16 1 1 1 21 2 Damon Harrison 2016 28 NYG NFL 16 16 1 […]
- As the Kansas City Chiefs get set for this weekend, there is a lot of talk about the strong Pittsburgh offense. However, it is not the best unit the Chiefs have faced.
The Kansas City Chiefs are set to host the Pittsburgh Steelers this week in the divisional round of the AFC playoffs. It is a highl
- NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Doughnuts, anyone? New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees is adding to his list of local food and beverage businesses, this time partnering with Dunkin' Donuts franchisee Vik Patel to open new locations across Louisiana. The partnership has agreed to open as many as 69 stores in ...
- Join the LWOS Staff as they try to correctly guess the outcome of the NFL Playoffs, including Super Bowl winner, and the biggest upset of the postseason.
The post Last Word on Pro Football: The NFL Playoffs appeared first on Last Word on Pro Football.
- 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Schedule:The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have legitimate reasons to be optimistic about their future for the first time in a long time.
The post Previewing the 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Schedule appeared first on Last Word on Pro Football.
- The New Orleans Saints have had a top ranked offense since coach Sean Payton, and quarterback Drew Brees arrived in Louisiana during the summer of 2006.
The Saints passing game should go down as one of the most prolific in the history of professional football.This season was certainly no differ
- With the 2016 regular season in the books, I thought it might be interesting to look at some of our homegrown quarterback stats. Normally, I would present Total Adjusted Yards per Play (TAY/P) andÂ New Total Adjusted Yards per Play (NTAY/P)1 and leave it at that. However, we have made those stats ava
- After another season devoid of playoff football, fans have the 2017 Buffalo Bills schedule to look forward to in terms of hope to end a frustrating drought.
The post Previewing the 2017 Buffalo Bills Schedule appeared first on Last Word on Pro Football.
1/5: Horseshoe Heroes- Elephant In the Room: Are Colts Waiting on Nick Saban to Make Coaching Splash?While all is quiet regarding head coach Chuck Pagano's future, there is increasing speculation that Indianapolis Colts team owner Jim Irsay could be waiting on Alabama Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban to finish the championship game Monday before actively recruiting him:
"But I keep won...
- The Kansas City Chiefs offense is making big plays, and with their stout defense, their ability to do so arrives at just the right time.
The post The Kansas City Chiefs Are Hitting Their Stride at Just the Right Time appeared first on Last Word on Pro Football.
- The KC Chiefs finished off their 2016 campaign with a 12-4 record and an AFC West division crown. It was a fun season for Chiefs Kingdom and certainly one we'll all remember.
Before the regular season began, I predicted the result of every single game that was going to be played this season. I
1/4: Horseshoe Heroes- Colts Are Currently One of Eight NFL Teams Eligible to Appear on HBO's 'Hard Knocks'According to CBS Sports Will Brinson, the Indianapolis Colts are one of eight NFL teams, who are currently eligible to appear on HBO's training camp series 'Hard Knocks':
"The NFL several years ago made a rule whereby it could compel teams to appear on the show. Teams are exempt...
- Now that the Cleveland Browns sacrifice to the sports Gods of their 2016 NFL season for the betterment of the city (you are welcome Cavs and Indians fans) is complete, silly season is officially upon us. From non-stop 2017 NFL mock drafts (shout out to Stephen Thomas and Jared Mueller) on Twitter to
- The Buccaneers, Saints and Panthers will all be watching the playoffs from home while the Falcons have secured the 2nd seed in the NFC and will be moving into the post-season. While three of them will be getting a head start, all will need to give serious thought to who they bring ...
- NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Drew Brees, who turns 38 in less than two weeks, doesn't want to contemplate the future of his prolific NFL career beyond next season with the New Orleans Saints. "That's not a lack of commitment or anything like that," said Brees, who has played in New ...
- Drew Brees and the Saints spent almost all of last offseason talking about his contract before finally agreeing to an extension a few days before the start of the regular season. The deal lowered Brees’ cap number for the 2016 season and put him under contract through next season, when he can become a free…
- The New England Patriots were able to finish their regular season with a 14-2 record after a win against the Miami Dolphins. What were five takeaways from the win?
The New England Patriots closed out the regular season with a 35-14 victory over the Miami Dolphins at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Garde
- Drew Brees plans to play out the final year of his deal without an extension in 2017. "I'm just taking it one year at a time, honestly, because I certainly don't want to miss out," the soon-to-be 38-year-old quarterback said. [...]
- Draft Ohio State S Malik Hooker announced on Twitter that he will forgo his final years of college eligibility to enter the 2017 NFL Draft. Bills Bills GM Doug Whaley said he and executive Jim Monos will lead the team’s search for a new head coach, while owner Terry Pegula will make the final
- In the last game of the 2016 season for both the Chicago Bears and Minnesota Vikings, the Vikings upended the Bears for their eighth win. Minnesota also extracted a little revenge against Chicago as well. The Vikings decimated the Bears 38-10 and were the more dominant for the entire game. Ultimatel
- According to Jason La Canfora of NFL.com the Los Angeles Rams are interested in New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton. The Sean Payton sweepstakes officially can get underway now with Saints season over. Expect Chargers and Rams to both explore possibility â Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) Ja
- Breaking down the 2016 NFL season for the New Orleans Saints, including the successes and failures of the offense, defense, and special teams.
The post New Orleans Saints 2016 Season Recap appeared first on Last Word on Pro Football.
- The outcome of Sunday's game lays heavy on Kirk Cousins shoulders. As Eminem said in 8 mile, if you had one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted in one moment, would you capture it, or let it slip? Well, Cousins let it slip.
Kirk Cousins has broke numerous franchise records. He'
- As Black Monday settles in, there are a number of Kansas City Chiefs coaches and front office personnel that may be looking at new jobs.
While the Kansas City Chiefs are getting ready for the playoffs, many teams around the NFL are looking towards their futures. Today is "Black Monday" wh...
- With the 2016 season in the books, let’s take a look at the final ANY/A differential numbers. As regular readers know, ANY/A is simply yards per attempt that includes sack data and has a 20-yard bonus for passing touchdowns and a 45-yard penalty for interceptions. ANY/A differential is one of
- Brees completed 29 of 50 passes for 350 yards, two touchdowns and a pick in Sunday's loss to Atlanta.Despite a back-breaking pick in the end zone midway through the fourth quarter, Brees led the Saints' frantic fourth-quarter comeback rally with touchdown strikes to Michael Thomas and Travis Cadet [...]
- MINNEAPOLIS — Sam Bradford wrapped up his first season with Minnesota with three first-half touchdown passes and an NFL record, leading the Vikings to a 38-10 victory over the Chicago Bears on Sunday to finish on a winning note after tumbling out of contention over the last two months.Bradford went 25 for 33 for 250 yards and one interception, posting a 71.6 percent completion rate to set the single-season record. Drew Brees (71.2 for New Orleans) last set the league mark in 2011.
- Drew Brees completed 29-of-50 passes for 350 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in the Saints' Week 17 loss to the Falcons. .. [...]
- There have been nine 5,000-yard passing seasons in NFL history. Drew Brees has five of them. Brees topped the 5,000-yard mark for the 2016 season today in Atlanta, making it the fifth time in the last nine seasons that Brees has reached the 5,000-yard mark. No other player in NFL history has even reached 5,000…
- Just like any other season, the NFL delivered with great and exciting games throughout the season. Of course there were the usual blowouts and non-competitive games but were plenty of entertaining games throughout the 17-week regular season. From the close thrillers such as the Chiefs and Broncos sh
- Had you told the Minnesota Vikings in August that Sam Bradford would set a major NFL passing record this season after they traded multiple draft picks for him, they might have felt relief.The results of the trade so far have not paid off, as the Vikings are out of the playoffs despite a 5-0 start. But Bradford came out early of Sunday’s game against the Chicago Bears having passed Drew Brees for the single-season all-time pass completion mark.Bradford finished the game completing 25-of-33
- You probably have heard the stat: Matt Ryan just set an NFL record by throwing touchdowns to 13 different receivers. Here’s the final tally: Games Receiving No. Player Age Pos G GS Rec Yds Y/R TD â¼ 18 Taylor Gabriel 25 wr 13 3 35 579 16.5 6 11 Julio Jones 27 WR 13 13 […]
- With almost all playoff hopes gone, the Buccaneers (8-7) ring in 2017 by hosting the Panthers (6-9) in their regular season finale. Tampa Bay will be looking for a strong finish to its campaign. Here, we preview the 1:00 matchup and tell you where to watch and listen to it.
Just over a week ago, th
- Every week, four of our contributors pick between two and five games each and assign a number of units (one to five) to their selection based on their confidence in the pick.With that said, here are my Week 17 NFL picks against the spread:New Orleans Saints +8 over Atlanta
- This year, Blake Bortles has thrown just one touchdown while playing with the lead. That’s part of a larger development: over his three-year career, Bortles has thrown just four touchdowns while playing with the lead, with half of those coming in what looked like the Jaguars breakout game agai
12/30: EndZone Score- Rookie profiles: How does Vernon Hargreaves stack up with other rookie corners?Widely regarded as one of the top cornerbacks in the 2016 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were thrilled to select Vernon Hargreaves with the 11th pick. The Bucs were unsure of what they would get out of the corners they had on their roster, so Hargreaves was an excellent insurance policy. How ha
- Reality: Another NFL season ends, and like every one recently, fans were frustrated with rules and officials all year long. . @NFL has 2 contradictory rules: A spike is not intentional grounding; Runs can break plane but catches need 2 … Continue reading →
The post PiR: Flacco’s Fi
- With all divisional match ups, expect close games across the board in Week 17, which is the Final Countdown of the NFL season.
The post NFL Week 17 predictions: The final countdown appeared first on Elite Sports NY.
Follow @NewsDrewBrees on Twitter!