- In culture-rich St. Petersburg, Russia, shopping isn’t at the top of the list for most tourists. But there is much for the sartorial-minded to explore.
- The Aokigahara forest, on 12 square miles created from an eruption in 864, inspires an almost reverential fear in Japan and, increasingly, filmmakers beyond it.
- The British Foreign & Commonwealth Office has changed its level of advice to The Gambia and now advises against “all but essential” travel to the country. The decision comes as Gambian president Yahya Jammeh declared a 90-day state of emergency a day before his official mandate ends.
- With the opening of three stops, the Upper East Side has become a retreat for city residents.
- Three stations recently opened on the Upper East Side, drawing people eager to check out the architecture and the public art.
- Could booking travel by text soon become the norm? Here are three chatbots that want you to book your trip with your smartphone.
- By adjusting mind-sets and doing some planning, American workers can combat the growing trend of taking fewer paid vacation days.
Travel Megatrends 2017: Overtourism Goes Mainstream
A global surge in tourism, driven by the growth of low-cost carriers and middle class families across the world who are beginning to vacation abroad, has had deep ramifications for the world's most popular destinations. Some have tried to manage ...and more »
Meet the 28-year-old London banker who is the youngest person to travel to all 196 countries - Business InsiderBusiness Insider
Meet the 28-year-old London banker who is the youngest person to travel to all 196 countries
LONDON — He visited all 196 countries by the age of 24, covering most countries within five years. Last year, he received a Guinesss World Record for becoming the youngest person in the world to travel to all sovereign countries. However, for James ...and more »
- The actor, who stars in the new Lemony Snicket series on Netflix, lived in Vancouver during filming and skied at Whistler.
- In February, the snow-globe town of Camden, Me., holds the U.S. National Toboggan Championships. The Olympics it is not. But my family braved the chute.
- New York Times
Neil Patrick Harris on Travel, From Sandcastles to Subways
New York Times
Neil Patrick Harris recently spent five months in Vancouver, British Columbia. Credit Mark Veltman for The New York Times. For many actors, a life of constant travel is part of the job, but for the actor Neil Patrick Harris, 43, who lives in New York ...
- A food traveler went back to the Caribbean island amid growing recognition for its cuisine. That wasn’t the only draw.
- Carlson Wagonlit Travel has announced the appointment of Julian Walker as head of market communications and PR. Based in London, and reporting into the strategy and commerce organisation, Walker will have responsibility for market communications, communications strategy and public relations.
- As part of the process for the contemplated sale of a majority of HotelInvest – known as Booster project - AccorHotels has entered into discussions with potential investors. In this context, the group has disclosed the updated gross asset value of the Booster Portfolio as of December 31st.
- Anantara Hotels, Resorts & Spas has announced the development of Anantara Zanzibar Resort, expected to open in 2020 as part of the Zanzibar Amber Resort mixed-use lifestyle community. Occupying in excess of 1,000 hectares of prime Indian Ocean coastline in the north east of Zanzibar, Zanzibar Amber Resort is an integrated project which is currently under development blending contemporary lifestyle aspirations with premium hospitality and world-class facilities.
- P&O Cruises is to charter flights with Virgin Atlantic for Adonia’s winter 2017/18 Caribbean fly-cruise programme. Flights will be available from Manchester and London Heathrow with Economy, Premium Economy and Upper Class seats available for the 14 and 28-night itineraries.
- India’s ministry of tourism has welcomed the appointment of C Gangadhar as assistant director at the India Tourism Office in London. Assistant director Gangadhar will accede to the role previously filled by R Sunani, who had established a strong working relationship with the UK and Ireland travel and tourism trade.
- Fairmont St Andrews has promoted Amy Yeates to director of golf, spa and leisure. She has been director of golf since joining the resort in 2015 and the new role will see her responsible for the spa and leisure departments.
Customer Experience In Travel, Let's Get The Basics Right
Want to see customer experience in action? Just go on vacation. There's no better time to see customer experience firsthand from a number of companies when you're in a situation that isn't as comfortable as being at home. However, it can also highlight ...
- Transportation officials: Avoid travel if freezing rain arrives
With many Portland-area roads still frozen over from last week's storm, freezing rain in the forecast for Tuesday could result in even slicker roads. Ice could also bring down tree limbs and power lines, blocking roads and public transportation. An ...and more »
- Dallas News
Mark Zuckerberg kicks off year of travel with charity work in Dallas
Mark Zuckerberg is heading out on a national road trip as part of his personal 2017 challenge to "learn new things and grow." He plans to spend time in the 30 states he has yet to visit. The CEO and co-founder of Facebook kicked off his year of travel ...and more »
Breaking the bus stigma: Today's motorcoaches are real alternatives for travel, industry experts say - cleveland.comcleveland.com
Breaking the bus stigma: Today's motorcoaches are real alternatives for travel, industry experts say
CLEVELAND, Ohio - The American Bus Association's annual convention rolled into Cleveland this past weekend, bringing 3,500 tour bus and motorcoach operators, convention and visitors bureaus and suppliers to the city for the four-day event. But despite ...
- Choose a destination and setting that is best for you. And here are some questions to ask.
- Greenwich Time
Authentic Italy wins travel industry awards
Riverside resident Meg McQuillan last fall joined boutique luxury travel company Authentic Italy, which recently received several travel industry awards. Photo: Contributed Photo / Meg McQuillan. Image 2 of 2. Riverside resident Meg McQuillan last fall ...and more »
- Fox News
Airlines, airports anticipate travel complications as Winter Storm Jupiter moves east
After leaving a trail of ice and snow across the Plains and the Upper Midwest, Winter Storm Jupiter is expected to move into the Northeast starting Tuesday. According to Weather.com, Winter Storm Jupiter is already causing winter weather advisories and ...and more »
Storms to pummel California with flooding rain, snowy mountain travel
A new round of storms will take aim at California and the southwestern United States later this week and this weekend. Each storm will bring locally drenching rain and heavy mountain snow, with the potential for flooding and travel disruptions. "The ...and more »
- Norwalk Advocate
Upcoming photo exhibit to feature travel images
“Huli Spirit Man” - photographed in Papua New Guinea by Phyllis Sinrich. Sinrich and Deborah Loeb Bohren will display their travel photography drawn from trips to six continents from Feb. 11 through March ... more. Photo: Phyllis Sinrich. Image 2 of 2.and more »
- Personalised inspiration: empowering ultimate travel search
The travel industry has always been in the inspiration business. Ours is an industry that leverages curiosity and realises experiences which bring us together and open the world. NB: This is a viewpoint by Hugo Burge, CEO of Momondo Group. But for all ...and more »
- Bravo (blog)
7 Things You Didn't Know About Travel Agents
Consider the last three trips you took. Ready? Okay: Regardless if they were short or long, domestic or international, chances are, you did all of the planning yourself or with the help of your travel buddy. You likely searched for hours reading ...
Business Travel Startup Upside Raises $50 Million at $200 Million Valuation
Jay Walker, the founder of Priceline.com, is at it again with his new business travel startup Upside. The company just raised $50 million. Bloomberg. Photo: Bloomberg. Share Tweet Post Send. Skift Take. Priceline co-founder Jay Walker is looking to ...
Upside.com, the New Travel Company from Priceline Founder Jay Walker, Launches a Revolutionary New Way to Buy ...PR Newswire (press release)all 4 news article
- Paste Magazine
How NBC's Timeless Gets Time Travel Right
What's the trick to getting time travel right on television? Make it so damn compelling you forget how complicated it's all supposed to be. When you can simply go back and fix your mistakes, it can hard to build believable stakes. The weight of the ...and more »
Love's opens travel center in Angleton
National convenience store and truck stop operator Love's has opened a Love's Travel Stop in Angleton. The 10,000-square-foot store, north of the city at Texas 288 and FM 523, features a Carl's Jr. restaurant, 12 fuel pumps, six diesel pumps, 83 ...
Cunard's Queen Mary 2 Named Best Luxury Cruise Ship In Travel Weekly 2016 Readers Choice Awards - PR Newswire (press release)PR Newswire (press release)
Cunard's Queen Mary 2 Named Best Luxury Cruise Ship In Travel Weekly 2016 Readers Choice Awards
PR Newswire (press release)
VALENCIA, Calif., Jan. 16, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Travel Weekly readers have named Cunard's Queen Mary 2 "Best Luxury Cruise Ship" in the magazine's 2016 Readers Choice Awards. Winners are selected from two rounds of voting during which all of ...and more »
Travel Megatrends 2017: Festivalization of Meetings and Events
Conference organizers are developing more multidisciplinary programming that pulls from both the business and creative industries, creating a new convergence of experiences that help brands plug into business events in more ways. — Greg Oates.
- The Oberoi Group plans to open its first Moroccan outpost in 2017 and expand its Oberoi Spa and wellness experiences within a luxury destination retreat. Located just 20 minutes from the city centre, The Oberoi Marrakech, Morocco will be situated within 25 acres of citrus orchards and olive groves, offering a peaceful sanctuary from the bustle of the Medina and spectacular views of the Atlas Mountains.
- Jannah Hotels & Resorts is preparing to expand in Ras Al Khaimah, with a new property opening on February 1st. As the company looks to tap into the undersupplied market in the emirate, the Abu Dhabi-based hotel operator expects to open the 100 hotel apartment and 24 villa Jannah Resort & Villas in just under two weeks.
- An outstanding 19.2 per cent increase in passenger traffic in December alone saw Budapest Airport continue its record-breaking trend, with the Hungarian gateway welcoming 11.4 million passengers by the end of 2016 – a figure never before reached at the airport.
- Trainline has announced that Mark Brooker has been appointed chief operating officer, with responsibility for marketing, product and Trainline International. In this newly created role, he will report directly to chief executive Clare Gilmartin.
Eat, pray, shoot: Our favorite gear and apps for travel photography
- The Oberoi Group is set to expand its presence in the UAE with the opening of The Oberoi Beach Resort, Al Zorah. Located just a 25-minute drive from Dubai, the resort is set to open in March.
- A cargo plane flying from Hong Kong has crashed in Kyrgyzstan, killing at least 37 people. The Boeing 747 TC-MCL aircraft crashed as it landed amid fog at Manas airport, 25 kilometres north of the capital, Bishkek.
- Industry leaders are preparing to meet at The Summit 2017, an event designed for hospitality and tourism insiders to be held on June 6th at the Grand Connaught Rooms in London. The event falls at an unprecedented time following Brexit and other industry-wide challenges and issues, and as such is expected to attract a much wider representation of the sector.
- Five leaders in creative fields share their favorite places to eat, drink, shop and play.
- Manchester Airport has launched its first multi-channel, multi-audience marketing campaign to showcase the breadth of destinations it offers to the USA. The #USADirect campaign will see the airport reach out to all areas of its catchment area that spans as far north as the Scottish Borders, south to the Midlands, east to Yorkshire, and west to Merseyside and North Wales.
- Tim Norwood – the man who secured planning consent for Hinkley Point C, the UK’s first new nuclear power station for a generation - is to become Gatwick’s new chief planning officer. He will join Gatwick’s executive management board at the end of February and will lead a review of Gatwick’s masterplan.
Markups are huge for Inauguration Day travel to DC
WASHINGTON — Last-minute travel plans to D.C. for the inauguration Friday and the Women's March on Washington on Saturday are going to cost you. A single Friday morning Acela train ticket from New York to D.C. could cost more than $400, according to ...
A Top-10 List Of 2017 Travel Trends And Destinations
Tis is the month for 2017 predictions: Co-founder and CEO Swapnil Shinde of the personal travel concierge app, Mezi, shares his thoughts on top destinations and travel trends for 2017. And I add my opinions, too! Top 2017 travel trends: “Bleisure” Boom ...
- Hotels.com has launched Hotels.com Concierge, available on iOS on its smartphone application. The service enables users to book transportation, food delivery, reservations and activities from the Hotels.com app.
- Travelport and Al Hashim Travel have signed a new, exclusive, long term agreement. Al Hashim Travel is located in the Eastern province of Saudi Arabia, with 10 branches in the region. The agency is also set to expand across in Saudi Arabia in 2017.
Follow @WorldNewsTravel on Twitter!