- Betty Radier has been appointed as the new Kenya Tourism Board chief executive following an extensive recruitment process. Announcing the appointment, KTB chairman Jimi Kariuki said the board was confident Radier had the right qualifications to steer KTB and the country’s tourism sector into great new frontiers.
- Agreements between Airbnb and the city reflect a move by the company to be more conciliatory with local governments, especially after tough regulatory battles globally.
- The trains, bureaucratic curiosities that run infrequently and visit forgotten stations, are a draw for railroad fans, who try to ride as many as possible.
- Prices drop between Dec. 23 and 27 — and a number of hotels offer packages with all sorts of holiday extras (including lots of hot chocolate).
- In a busy week for the luxury cruise line, Seabourn has welcomed the keel laying celebrations for Seabourn Ovation at the Fincantieri shipyard in Sestri, Italy. With Seabourn Ovation’s launch date set for spring 2018, the ceremony marked a significant milestone in the construction of Seabourn’s newest ultra-luxury ship.
- Fast-growing global hospitality company Dusit International has signed a management agreement with Abduljawad Holding, an investment company headquartered in Saudi Arabia, to operate the Dusit Thani Residences Maslak Istanbul, Turkey. The property will open as part of Maslak 1453 – a commercial, business and residential hub set over two million square metres on the European side of the city.
- Korean Air has celebrated its inaugural Delhi-Incheon direct flight with a welcome ceremony at Delhi’s Indira Gandhi Airport. Korean Air’s maiden flight from Incheon to Delhi, KE481, touched down at Indira Gandhi Airport and was welcomed with a water canon event prepared by the airport.
- Dubai Airports, operator of Dubai International and Dubai World Central, has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Bureau Dubai Expo 2020 to ensure a world-class experience for the millions of guests that will visit Dubai during the event. Following the signing of the deal the airport operator is now an official supporter of Dubai Expo 2020.
- Lufthansa has criticised Frankfurt Airport’s new fee structure following authorisation by the ministry of economic affairs, energy, transport and regional development of Hesse. The new fee structure not only involves an unreasonable increase in fees overall but also lowers fees for those airlines that are new to flying out of Frankfurt, argues the German flag-carrier.
- Boeing and AerCap have delivered the first 787 to Air France. The airplane, a 787-9, signifies the delivery of AerCap’s 50th Dreamliner and will be deployed on Air France’s Paris to Cairo route starting in January. The airplane is also the 500th 787 produced on Boeing’s production lines.
- Emirates has launched the world’s shortest scheduled A380 service, flying a distance of 379 kilometres with a total travel time of one hour and 20 minutes from Dubai to Doha, and one hour ten minutes on the return journey. Outbound flight EK 841 departs Dubai at 07:45, arriving in Doha at 08:05. The return flight, EK 842, departs Doha at 09:50, arriving in Dubai at 12:00.
- Tourism hotspot Chile has been selected as the World’s Leading Adventure Tourism Destination by voters at the World Travel Awards. The accolade demonstrates the potential of the South American country’s striking geographic contrasts, providing tourists with incomparable natural scenery for sports and adventure tourism. The winner was selected by people, both from within the hospitality industry and members of the public, from around the world through online voting.
- Macao is getting ready to host its first ever International Film Festival, which will take place between December 8th-13th. Spanning six consecutive days, the event will showcase the best of Asian and international cinema with a programme of film premieres and screenings for both Asian and Western film, red-carpet presentations, industry events, master classes and an awards ceremony.
- Following a competitive pitch process, Bahrain Tourism & Exhibitions Authority has appointed leading travel and tourism consultancy Hills Balfour to manage its UK trade relations, consumer marketing and PR strategy. Located in the Persian Gulf, the Kingdom of Bahrain is an island country in the Middle East.
- From Mexico City to Hangzhou, bookstores that are destinations in and of themselves.
- Livraria Lello in Portugal is a popular destination for book lovers and Harry Potter fans.
- United States president-elect Donald Trump has called for the scrapping of multi-billion dollar plans for Boeing to build a new Air Force One. In a tweet to followers he branded the cost of the project “ridiculous and totally out of control”. Boeing shares immediately dropped one per cent following the comments. The US government signed a deal with Boeing earlier this year to build a new aircraft to fly the president once the current one reaches the end of its service life.
- Loyal customers are flocking to the Watts Tea Shop for a final taste of an “American classic.”
- International Airlines Group has criticised a year’s delay in introducing a ten year visa for Chinese visitors that would drive business and create jobs. The plan was announced in October 2015 during the Chinese state visit to the UK. Willie Walsh, chief executive of IAG, said: “China is the world’s second largest economy and we need to do all we can to encourage these trade links.
- VisitBritain has celebrated its milestone partnerships with Hainan Airlines and Alitrip, Alibaba group’s tourism arm, in China. Both partnerships have been established to attract more Chinese visitors to Britain. UK secretary of state for culture, media and sport Karen Bradley and VisitBritain director Patricia Yates earlier met with senior executives from Hainan Airlines and Alitrip as part of the fourth UK-China People to People Dialogue.
- UK transport secretary Chris Grayling has set out plans for improved coordination across track renewal and train operations in England. Plans include the creation of East West Rail, the first new integrated rail operation in decades that is separate to Network Rail, and the closer alignment of incentives between the management of infrastructure and the operation of train services.
- Titanic Belfast has been crowned World’s Leading Tourist Attraction at the prestigious World Travel Awards in the Maldives. Having already beaten the Colosseum, the Acropolis and the Eiffel Tower to become Europe’s official Leading Tourist Attraction, Titanic Belfast sailed its way to victory to become the World’s Leading Tourist Attraction, bringing the award back to UK after ten years.
- Malaysia Airlines Berhad has revealed the appointment of Yeoh Hock Thye as head of sales. He will take up the role on January 3rd, 2017. MAB chief executive, Peter Bellew said: “On behalf of the management team, I am pleased to welcome Yeoh to the Malaysia Airlines family.”
- If bookstores are a must on your travel itinerary, Ann Patchett has a road map for you.
- For the writer, a good bookstore in a faraway place is as basic a need as a decent hotel, a hot shower and enough underwear.
- Fox News
5 practical travel gifts that don't cost much and will actually get used
If you love someone who loves to travel and want to surprise them this holiday season, here are some ideas for practical gifts that they'll really use. Plus, none of these will break the bank. Please note: I'm not endorsing any specific product or ...
- Nature World News
Ready for Space Travel? $10000 Lunar Vacations Will Be Possible in 10 Years
Nature World News
A private space flight company by the name Moon Express has announced that having a vacation in the moon will soon become a reality, but one must first have $10,000 to spare. (Photo : Koichi Kamoshida/Getty Image). A private space flight company by the ...and more »
- A 2010 law nearly wiped out the city’s hostels, but owners and executives are hoping to revive and expand the industry.
- Washington Examiner (blog)
Obama family travel, vacations, cross $85 million mark
Washington Examiner (blog)
President Barack Obama, left, and first lady Michelle Obama wave as they board Air Force One to depart from Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam at the end of their family vacation, on Saturday, Jan. 2, 2016, in Honolulu, Hawaii. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci) ...and more »
Best travel packages to see Nebraska-Tennessee in the Music City Bowl
LINCOLN, Neb. (University of Nebraska Athletics press release) - The Huskers are heading to Music City, USA Nashville to face Tennessee in the Music City Bowl. Coaches and players won't be the only ones making the trip. Husker fans are already making ...and more »
Paris Will Auction Off 'Love Locks' to Benefit Refugees
After years of weighing down the city's bridges, love locks in Paris will get a second life helping refugees in the area. City officials announced last week that they will auction off love locks sitting in storage and donate the proceeds to benefit ...and more »
- The World Travel Awards Academy has recognised two global hospitality icons with the title of ‘Tourism Pioneer’ during the Grand Final Gala Ceremony 2016. The title is a discretionary award, reserved for those few individuals and organisations which can truly be said to have had a transformative impact on global hospitality; those innovators who blaze a trail for others to follow.
9 Travel Hacks For Saving Money & Gaining Luxury
If you're a serious traveler and love a bargain, travel hacking is basically your favorite hobby. Using the many inside mechanisms of the travel industry, it's possible to nab great travel deals, free stuff, privileges, and perks. If you're a little ...
JetBlue Is Offering $20 One-way Flights Today Only
The twelve days of Christmas have officially arrived, with the launch of JetBlue's A December to Adventure campaign. Every day until December 16, JetBlue is getting into the holiday travel spirit by revealing an amazing flight deal at 1:00 p.m. EST ...and more »
How Travelers Can Use Google's New Safety App
Google introduced a new safety app on Monday that allows your closest friends and family members to see your location, even when your phone is offline. The app, called Trusted Contacts, is intended to “help you feel safe and give your friends and ...
Google Addresses Travel Safety, Privacy With New Trusted Contacts AppTravelPulseall 50 news articles »
- Online Booking Is, Like, So '90s: The Humble Travel Agent Is Making ...
Frustrated by the overload of information on travel sites, more than 9 million people will use a travel professional to help book a trip this year.and more »
- Online Booking Is, Like, So '90s: The Humble Travel Agent Is Making a Comeback
An army of women is chalking up a day of record travel bookings, circa 1984. Manchester Daily Express / SSPL via Getty Images. Share; Share · Tweet · Share · Email; Print; Comment · advertisement. It often happens on Mondays. "I get calls from people ...
- USA TODAY
Best coupon code travel deals for December - USA Today
Coupon codes aren't just for free shipping anymore. If you do your shopping wisely, you can score deep discounts and maybe even some cash back on your ...and more »
- Hotels, bars and restaurants around the world have made books a centerpiece of their themes and décor.
North Korea banning train travel until February, report says
North Korea has yet to resolve major transportation issues facing its railroad system, months after a flood led to severe damage to state infrastructure. File Photo screenshot of KCTV. Sign up for our weekly Korea Now newsletter. An exclusive report ...and more »
6 reasons to skip Christmas and travel instead
Some people love everything about Christmas. But for many, the planning, shopping, decorating and entertaining can be incredibly overwhelming, time-consuming - and expensive. If this sounds familiar, why not ditch the production and hightail it out of ...and more »
- Headlines & Global News
5 Important Travel Tips During Christmas Holidays
Headlines & Global News
To avoid the hassles and troubles of your holiday trip, we listed here some important tips for you to remember. This as the joy of Christmas does not always reflect the comfort of travel during this season. Farmhouse with snow with christmas tree ...
8 apps to help you take the stress out of holiday travel
Here are some apps and services that can reduce some of the misery that accompanies keeping track of all those details. Derek Walter By Derek Walter. | Follow. Greenbot | Dec 5, 2016 4:00 AM PT ...
- "Bizarre Foods" Host Andrew Zimmern Explains How Travel Helps Rewire His Brain
Vacations have a much bigger impact on your daily life than you may realize, says the Travel Channel star. "Bizarre Foods" Host Andrew Zimmern Explains How Travel Helps Rewire His Brain. Andrew Zimmern creator and host, Travel Channel's Bizarre ...and more »
More Travel Brands Give Cyber Monday a Shot — Digital Marketing News
More luxury travel brands like Starwood, Peninsula Hotels, and Cunard are offering consumers post-Thanksgiving Cyber Monday deals. Mike McCune / Flickr. Photo: Mike McCune / Flickr. Share Tweet Post Send ...
Meet me on mobile: Tips for travel brands to reach on-the-go consumersTnoozall 2 news articles »
- Fox News
Chrissy Teigen reveals her travel wardrobe essentials
Chrissy Teigen's travel style is as down to earth as her personality. The model, who prides herself on being real and honest, takes a no-nonsense approach to dressing for the airport. Admittedly, her shoe choice isn't exactly practical, but the rest of ...
- China's Spring Festival travel frenzy to see 3 billion trips | Reuters
China's transport ministry said on Monday it expects travelers to make nearly 3 billion trips during the upcoming Spring Festival, putting road, rail and air links ...and more »
- China's Spring Festival travel frenzy to see 3 billion trips
SHANGHAI China's transport ministry said on Monday it expects travelers to make nearly 3 billion trips during the upcoming Spring Festival, putting road, rail and air links through their hardest test during the country's most important holiday. The ...and more »
Local travel agencies booking Fiesta Bowl trips
Ohio State Buckeye fans are already making plans to travel to Arizona to see the Fiesta Bowl in person. Football fans learned on Sunday the Buckeyes will take on the Clemson Tigers on Dec. 31. Central Ohio travel agencies kept busy Sunday afternoon ...and more »
Follow @WorldNewsTravel on Twitter!