- Just three years after appearing on the scene, Vine is finished. Twitter announced that the short looping video service which first surfaced in 2013 will be shutting down in the coming months. In a blog post, Twitter says it will be discontinuing the mobile app in the coming months.
Even in a Breathless Election, Twitter Is Generating Buzz—Not Cash
All the the attention and activity hasn't translated into ad dollars or user growth. This year's presidential election might be the perfect microcosm of Twitter's woes. While some of the most memorable moments of the campaign for the White House have ...and more »
- Facebook is finally starting to integrate the selfie filters offered by the MSQRD app (which it acquired in March) with Live video. As part of a Halloween-themed update, users will also have access to limited-edition, spooky Facebook reactions.
- By Kristina Cooke, Dan Levine and Dustin Volz SAN FRANCISCO/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - After Facebook's removal of an iconic Vietnam war photo stirred an international uproar last month, the social network's executives quickly backtracked and cleared its publication. Trainers told content-monitoring staffers that the photo violated Facebook policy, despite its historical significance, because it depicted a naked child, in distress, photographed without her consent, the employees told Reuters. The re
- New York Times
The Opinion Pages|Twitter Has an Old Media Problem. Here's a Solution.
New York Times
Twitter headquarters in San Francisco. The company announced on Thursday it would lay off 9 percent of its work force. Credit David Paul Morris/Bloomberg. SAN JOSE, Calif. — Twitter is a communications marvel, with 317 million active users who ...
Cramer Remix: Two things to make Twitter more attractive to buyers
As soon as Jim Cramer heard the dreaded words "cuts forecast" from Amazon on Thursday, he knew the stock would get clobbered. When a company announces worse-than-expected numbers and then cuts the forecast, that is just what happens, Cramer ...and more »
Marvel writer chased off Twitter by pathetic misogynists
A year ago, Marvel announced that the character Mockingbird would be getting her first solo series helmed by author Chelsea Cain. The book ran from March until it was cancelled this month, with the final cover prominently displaying the message "Ask Me ...
Marvel Comics Writer Chelsea Cain Quits Twitter Over Sexist HarassmentThe Daily Dot
140 characters, plus a few thousand more, on the Twitter hubbub | Chelsea Cain
- AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — In his latest attempt to cast doubt on the election process, GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump raised suspicions Thursday about the voting machines in reliably Republican Texas despite producing no evidence of an actual problem.
Vine's dead. Is Twitter next?
Twitter (TWTR, Tech30) announced plans on Thursday to kill off Vine, the short-form looping video app it acquired four years ago in an early effort to bring video to the social network. No reason was provided for shuttering Vine. However, the move was ...
Twitter to Cut Jobs as It Aims for a TurnaroundNew York Times
'Don't sell your company': Vine founder's advice as Pornhub offers to buy axed appCNBC
Twitter is killing off VineThe Verge
- Still losing money and without a merger partner, Twitter said Thursday it sees a path to profitability as the struggling social network unveiled job cuts as part of a reorganization. The messaging platform said it would cut nine percent of its workforce after another money-losing quarter, but suggested it could reach profitability for the first time next year. "We have a clear plan, and we're making the necessary changes to ensure Twitter is positioned for long-term growth," chief executive Jack
- By Jessica Toonkel and Amanda Becker NEW YORK/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - This year's presidential election might be the perfect microcosm of Twitter's woes. While some of the most memorable moments of the campaign for the White House have played out on the platform, Twitter has been unable to turn the attention and activity into ad dollars or user growth. Well suited to quick updates on a noisy and unpredictable campaign, Twitter has
- USA TODAY
Twitter problem: It's useful, just not enough
In 2011, U.S. forces completed a secret raid which resulted in the death of Osama Bin Laden, as an IT consultant unknowingly posted updates on Twitter about the raid that was taking place nearby. In the hours after the raid, news of the Bin Laden ...and more »
- NEW YORK (AP) — Twitter users are bound to see changes as the beleaguered service favored by journalists, celebrities, politicians and cranks tries to broaden its appeal and attract advertisers.
- CBS News
Struggling Twitter kills Vine, announces layoffs
Last Updated Oct 27, 2016 2:38 PM EDT. NEW YORK - Twitter (TWTR), seemingly unable to find a buyer and losing money, is cutting about 9 percent of its employees worldwide. It also announced that it is shutting down its micro-video platform, Vine, which ...
Struggling Twitter cuts workforce and kills off VineAljazeera.com
Twitter job cuts: Nearly one in 10 roles to goSky Newsall 92 news articles »
Twitter to slash 9% of its workforce and kill Vine as it tries to eke out a profit - Los Angeles TimesLos Angeles Times
Twitter to slash 9% of its workforce and kill Vine as it tries to eke out a profit
Los Angeles Times
When a slew of photo and video apps popped up about five years ago, Twitter Inc. pounced. Larger rival Facebook reportedly outbid it by hundreds of millions of dollars for rapidly growing Instagram, but Twitter managed to grab the yet-to-launch Vine ...
Twitter climbs on earnings beat, job cuts announcementCNBC
Twitter slashes jobs, Vine as it seeks profitsUSA TODAY
- It's the end of Vine's world as we know it. The short-form video sharing service, founded in June 2012 and acquired by Twitter Inc (ticker: TWTR) that October, announced it would be shuttering its service within the next few months. This includes its mobile app.
- With nine percent of its workforce set to be laid off, Twitter announced its Vine platform will be discontinued. Existing videos will remain online, but the app will no longer function as it once did.
- Twitter, seemingly unable to find a buyer and losing money, is cutting about 9 percent of its employees worldwide. It is also killing off Vine, a mobile video app where people share short video clips that ...
- By Amy Tennery NEW YORK (Reuters) - Twitter Inc announced Thursday that it would discontinue the video-sharing mobile app Vine, as it moves to cut 9 percent of its workforce worldwide to keep costs down after beating Wall Street quarterly earnings expectations. The decision comes on the heels of a failed attempt to sell Twitter as it fights against stagnant user growth and mounting competition from other social media platforms. In a post published jointly by Twitter and Vine to the blog platform
- More than 300 Twitter employees will be affected by the layoffs as part of a broader restructuring, a figure similar to an earlier round of reductions announced a year ago. Separately, the company announced it would discontinue Vine, a video app launched in 2013 that played brief clips on a repeat loop that struggled to compete with Facebook's Instagram. Twitter, which has seen user growth stall amid competition from nimbler rivals such as Instagram and Snapchat, said its user base ticked up 3 p
- Fox Business
Twitter-NFL: How's It Going So Far? | Fox Business
Twitter executives were optimistic about the NFL deal's early returns during a Thursday morning conference call, praising the stream's improving ratings and ...and more »
- Twitter said Thursday it has a path to growth and profitability as it unveiled hefty job cuts and more losses after talks to find a buyer collapsed. The struggling social network said it would cut nine percent of its workforce after another money-losing quarter, as it suggested it could reach profitability for the first time in 2017. "We see a significant opportunity to increase growth as we continue to improve the core service," chief executive Jack Dorsey said in the earnings report.
- Facebook has launched a new feature for Facebook Live that allows users to don a variety of scary masks without putting on a stitch of makeup. With just a few taps, Facebook users can wish their friends and family a happy Halloween wearing a variety of limited-edition masks -- skull, evil queen, pumpkin and witch -- when sharing live video. A selection of masks will also be made available after Halloween.
- Following its third-quarter earnings release, Twitter announced extensive job cuts this week. Twitter's gambits on live video and changes to its core product have so far not been enough to turn the firm around
Cramer: Twitter's earnings not the 'disaster' some people expected
CNBC's Jim Cramer said on Thursday Twitter's third-quarter earnings report was not the "disaster" that some people might have anticipated. The social networking platform posted earnings that topped analysts' expectations on Thursday morning, and ...
Twitter Inc: This Could Send TWTR Stock FlyingProfit Confidentialall 50 news articles »
- Forget the debate about "The Dress." Twitter is abuzz about "The Legs."
- WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on the U.S. presidential race (all times EDT):
- Twitter Inc said Thursday it would cut 9 percent of its global workforce to keep costs down as the microblogging service reported quarterly results that beat Wall Street expectations, lifting shares. Excluding items, the company earned 13 cents per share, beating the average estimate of 9 cents, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S. "We're getting more disciplined about how we invest in the business, and we set a company goal of driving toward GAAP profitability in 2017," said Chief Financial Of
- Twitter, seemingly unable to find a buyer and losing money, is cutting about 9 percent of its employees worldwide. The social media site has failed to keep pace with rivals Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram ...
- (Reuters) - Twitter Inc's quarterly revenue growth slowed sharply in the third quarter but topped analysts' expectations, and the company said it would cut 9 percent of its global workforce. The social network has been struggling to sign up new users amid competition from nimbler rivals such as Instagram and Snapchat. Twitter's shares rose nearly 4 percent to $17.97 in premarket trading on Thursday.
- New York (AFP) - Twitter announced plans Thursday to cut nine percent of its workforce as the struggling social network reaffirmed its strategy to drive growth after failing to find a buyer.
- Twitter, seemingly unable to find a buyer and losing money, is cutting about 9 percent of its employees worldwide. Twitter Inc., which has struggled amid competition from the likes of Facebook, Snapchat ...
- Twitter, in limbo and losing money, will cut 9 percent of its workforce worldwide.
- Forget the debate about "The Dress." Twitter is abuzz about "The Legs."
- Sale or no sale, Twitter users are bound to see changes as the beleaguered communications service tries to broaden its appeal to more people and advertisers. A new owner could clean up Twitter and curb ...
- Facebook is extending its branded content policy to allow users with verified profiles to rake in ad revenue from sponsored posts. The update does come with a number of conditions
- "The app came at a crucial time in my creative life," 'Billions' co-creator Brian Koppelman tweeted after the announcement was made Thursday morning.
- The social media company, led by CEO Jack Dorsey, reports its latest financials.
- The 3-year-old app became popular for its six-second video clips and gave rise to an entire new class of online stars.
- HarperCollins Children's Books has also acquired 'My Magical Life' as a three book series.
- Salesforce.com Inc Chief Executive Marc Benioff spoke on Wednesday about a pair of key acquisitions that got away, suggesting his vision for LinkedIn was different from Microsoft's and that he would have pursued Twitter if shareholders had not learned of his plans Speaking at a technology conference hosted by the Wall Street Journal in Laguna Beach, Calif., Benioff declined to elaborate on what he had hoped to do with micro-blogging site Twitter Inc. Twitter hired bankers earlier in October to e
- The 2016 presidential campaign has played out on Twitter as much as it has on TV, in convention halls and diners, rallies and watercoolers across the country. There were, of course, memorable tweets, such ...
- In a world where snappy short-form video is seemingly the way to go when it comes to keeping eyeballs on social media, it turns out people also quite enjoy watching.... not very much at all. Video streaming tools like Facebook Live, Periscope and YouTube are full of fast paced action. But recently there has also been an increasing trend towards "slower" content. It's boring and gripping at the same time. SEE ALSO: The eviction of a refugee camp is being live streamed on Facebook On
- Blizzard is teasing the next expansion for its free-to-play collectible card game 'Hearthstone', and fans can get an early peek at its contents by asking a Blizzard-authored Facebook chatbot for clues.
- Inside the Doting Facebook Posts of Dad Who Leapt from Bridge with Sons in His Arms
This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button. Captions Settings Dialog. Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window. Text. Color. White, Black, Red, Green, Blue ...and more »
- When your birthday rolls around, don't just depend on gifts from other people. It's important to give yourself a little something, too. For example, Hillary Clinton gave herself a nice tweet for her 69th birthday on Wednesday. SEE ALSO: Adele disses Donald Trump at concert with Clinton in the audience Okay, fine, it was probably tweeted by someone on her campaign team. But it's fun to think about Hillary Clinton tweeting at herself, isn't it? Happy birthday to this future president. pic.twitter.
- The MTV Europe Music Awards, seeking to reach a wide global audience, will feature a first-of-a-kind interactive bot on Facebook Messenger and a virtual reality edition, the network said Wednesday. The awards night, the international showcase for the music and youth channel, will take place on November 6 in the Dutch city of Rotterdam with performers to include Bruno Mars and Shawn Mendes. In what MTV described as a first-ever technology for any awards show, the gala will have its own interactiv
- Most snails have right-spiraling, or dextral, shells, said Angus Davison, an associate professor and reader in evolutionary genetics at the University of Nottingham's School of Life Sciences in the United Kingdom. Davison, who has studied the snail, said that unfortunately for Jeremy, his sinistral shell means that his genitals are on the opposite side of his body compared with most garden snails, making it very difficult for him to mate with dextral snails.
- USA TODAY
Think your friend is in trouble? Facebook could help
If you see a disturbing post from a Facebook friend, you don't have to leave the social network for help. This week, Facebook's Safety Center, a resource page with tips on bullying prevention and suicide hotlines, became available in more than 50 ...and more »
How Apple and Facebook bring tech accessibility to the masses
This is part of CNET's "Tech Enabled" series about the role technology plays in helping the disability community. Imagine being excluded from an inside joke shared among all your best friends simply because you can't see the photo they're laughing at.and more »
Follow @NwslSocialMedia on Twitter!