Keyboard warriors: how social media is the weapon of choice in war
Our interpreter describes Mykhailo Mykhailovsky as “class”. Mykhailovsky is a young deputy commander in the Donbas battalion of the Ukrainian army, fighting Russian-backed separatists in a conflict that has rumbled on since April 2014 – a conflict that ...and more »
Wenger to drop Jenkinson to protect him from social media taunts
Carl Jenkinson is devoid of confidence and taking him out of the Arsenal firing line is the best solution, says Arsene Wenger. Arsene Wenger is to drop Carl Jenkinson for Arsenal's London derby against West Ham on Saturday to protect the right-back ...and more »
- BANGKOK (AP) — Police in Thailand arrested a student pro-democracy activist Saturday for sharing a story about the country's new king that was posted on Facebook by the Thai-language service of the BBC.
- A prominent Thai dissident was arrested under the country's draconian royal defamation law on Saturday for sharing a BBC Thai profile of the new King Maha Vajiralongkorn on Facebook, supporters said. Thailand's monarchy is protected from any criticism inside the kingdom by a harsh lese majeste law, use of which has skyrocketed since the military seized power in 2014. Vajiralongkorn, 64, ascended the throne on Thursday, seven weeks after his widely revered father King Bhumibol Adulyadej died afte
- Facebook has announced it is partnering with a coalition of local community groups to support affordable housing in the San Francisco Bay Area. The company will donate $20 million to a series of development projects as part of the alliance.
The ten most 'liked' Instagram photos of 2016
An unlikely pair: Singer Selena Gomez and soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo have posted the most popular images on Instagram for 2016. (Getty). FTBAPGL. Pop star Selena Gomez has snapped all but two of the top ten most "liked" Instagram posts of 2016.
Instagram Becomes 'Visual Language' For Hundreds Of MillionsCBS Local
Selena Gomez tops Instagram sitePress Herald
Selena Gomez is Instagram leader of 2016gulfnews.com
Facebook philanthropy? Social media giant to invest $20mn in affordable housing projects
Facebook has committed to investing $20 million to develop low cost housing, job training and assistance for low-income Silicon Valley residents. This will be some welcome relief to residents who have been pushed out of the Santa Clara Valley area by ...and more »
- Facebook may be busy trying to fix its fake news problem, but it isn’t in favor of someone else teaching it how to do its job. On Friday afternoon, the social network began blocking links to the website of a fake news detection plugin.
- Facebook simply can’t get enough of Snapchat. A new report claims the social network is planning its own curated media content feature, tentatively titled "Collections," in the vein of Snapchat Discover.
NFL relaxes in-game video, social media rules for teams - ESPN.com
The NFL relaxed its in-game video and social media rules for individual teams on Friday, part of an ongoing evolution of a policy that has drawn protests from ...
The NFL will reportedly relax their social media rules so teams can post more GIFs and videosTechCrunch
The NFL Will Reportedly Step Back its Intense Team Social Media RulesComplex
Report: NFL will loosen some rules for teams posting on social mediaNBCSp
- WSOC Charlotte
Social media's impact in Keith Lamont Scott case
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Prosecutors and police said they learned how much of an impact social media has on public perception and the criminal justice process regarding Charlotte's unrest after the officer-involved shooting of Keith Lamont Scott in September.and more »
Facebook invests major moola in affordable housing
Facebook wants to help neighbors find affordable housing in the crazy-expensive Valley. Photo by Christopher Furlong/Getty. If you know anything about housing in the San Francisco Bay Area, you know it's crazy expensive. Single-family homes in Google ...
Facebook to invest $20M in local housing as Silicon Valley faces crisisUSA TODAY
Facebook to Give $20 Million to Bay Area Community for Affordable Housing, Job TrainingWall Stree
- This week on Between the Streams: The month of Rogue One, the tiniest teaser ever for Tom Cruise's The Mummy, Netflix's new offline adventure, new Star Trek Discovery casting, and much more.
- 'Bloomberg' Reporter Enlists Experts To Become An Instagram Influencer
These days, a strong social media presence can say a lot about your identity. Some do social media well — almost flawlessly — to the point where they can become influential enough to use their personal brand to make money. But what happens when a ...and more »
- Whatever Twitter may lack in investor confidence, it certainly makes up for in tenacity. Despite continuing rumors around Twitter's own possible acquisition, the social media company recently bought Yes, Inc. for an undisclosed sum.
- Fox News
Social media site Reddit censors Trump supporters
The social media site Reddit.com, which has hundreds of millions of users, has begun censoring one the site's most active communities: supporters of President-elect Donald Trump. The trouble began over the Thanksgiving holiday when Reddit's CEO, Steve ...
TIFU by editing some comments and creating an unnecessary controversy. : announcements - RedditReddit
Reddit Is Tearing Itself ApartGizmodo
The Admins are suffering from
- There are plenty of unprecedented things about the political career of Donald Trump, and one of them is that he is an extensive, voluble Twitter user, to the point where during the campaign his staff took his account away. Mashable is tracking reports that Trump, or at least a staffer with access to his Twitter account, is going through and blocking anybody who isn’t chiming in with support of the President-Elect. Trump’s Twitter account is fully public and easily accessible just by
- A few weeks ago we wrote about the B.S. Detector plugin . It's a handy little tool that automatically produces a hard-to-miss pop-up tooltip whenever you're about to click on a site from a questionable news source. It arose due to the flood of fake news stories that seem to breed on Facebook, and now, rather than rolling out steps to prevent its fake news epidemic, Facebook took the extraordinary step of banning links to the plugin. Then they unbanned it. DON'T MISS: Here’s how
- Business Insider
Facebook might add its own version of Snapchat Discover to your ...
Facebook is reportedly working on a feature resembling Snapchat's Discover for the social network's News Feed. According to Business Insider, Facebook has ...
Facebook working with publishers on 'Collections' section in News ...Business Insider
Facebook Said to Be Working on Snapchat Discover CloneFortune
Facebook Could Be Rolling Out a Snapchat-Like News Discovery ToolThe Daily Dot
- Vanity Fair
Nick Cannon Teases Ex-Wife Mariah Carey on Instagram, but Insists They
Love is a many-splendored thing. But some of those splendors can give off an odd glow. Especially when love moves from present to past—the love is still there, but it takes on a strange form, one that sometimes looks a little like aggression. Take ...
Nick Cannon posts Instagram pics in reaction to photos of Mariah ...Daily Mail
Mariah Carey confirms romance with dancer toyboy after James Packer
Instagramps: Long-Distance Grandpa's Art Carries His Love Across The World
This is a story about love and transformation. But first, it starts with resistance. Chanjae Lee now regularly posts drawings on his Instagram account. Courtesy of Ji Lee hide caption. toggle caption. Courtesy of Ji Lee. At 75, Chanjae Lee absolutely ...and more »
Instagram Grandpa's Art Carries His Love Across The World : All ...
At 75, Chanjae Lee hated the idea of learning this bizarre thing called Instagram. He also hadn't picked up a paintbrush in years. But then, his grandchildren ...and more »
- The Seattle Times
Facebook set to double Seattle presence with another big new office
The Seattle Times
Rendering of a new office in South Lake Union that Facebook is going to lease. Courtesy Vulcan Real Estate. Seattle is already home to Facebook's largest engineering office outside its Silicon Valley headquarters, and the company is leasing another ...
Facebook leases big Seattle office project from Paul Allen's Vulcan, continuing rapid growthGeekWire
Facebook's Seattle footprint continues to
- Paris (AFP) - Twitter reaction to Nico Rosberg's shock decision to quit F1 on Friday, just five days after winning a maiden world title:
These Big Native American Facebook Pages Are Actually Being Run By People In Kosovo And Vietnam - BuzzFeed NewsBuzzFeed News
These Big Native American Facebook Pages Are Actually Being Run By People In Kosovo And Vietnam
As pipeline protesters at Standing Rock prepare to dig in for the winter, a growing network of dubious Native American Facebook pages is cashing in on the movement by selling stolen No DAPL T-shirt designs and by driving traffic to dubious clickbait ...
- Social media has failed us and the nation
At some point during the process of reporting President-elect Donald Trump for harassment speech on Twitter, I started asking myself questions. Like: When was the exact moment that social media morphed into a failed state? Wasn't there a time when it ...and more »
Social-Media Hype about Diseases and Treatments Does Patients No Favors - Scientific American (blog)Scientific American (blog)
Social-Media Hype about Diseases and Treatments Does Patients No Favors
Scientific American (blog)
As has often been said, with great power comes great responsibility. As we saw in the recent election, social media is a great example of a powerful medium that can change minds and change lives but can also give credibility to false or misguiding ...
- icrunchdata News (press release) (blog)
Facebook Works on AI to Flag Live Videos
icrunchdata News (press release) (blog)
MENLO PARK, Calif. (Reuters) – Facebook is working on automatically flagging offensive material in live video streams, building on a growing effort to use artificial intelligence to monitor content, said Joaquin Candela, the company's director of ...
Facebook: Don't freak out about artificial intelligence - CNETCNET
Facebook's advice to students interested in artificial
50 Cent & Vivica Fox Trade Low Blows About Sexual Past Via Instagram
Vivica Fox and 50 Cent's short-lived romance apparently ended on rather unpleasant terms with later tensions related to Fox insinuating her former lover was gay in 2015. Fif fired back last night as a guest on Bravo's Watch What Happens Live, which ...and more »
Facebook blocks links to B.S. Detector, fake news warning plugin
Over the past week, some Facebook users reported seeing content warnings next to links from established fake news domains, apparently without realizing a third party was responsible. We reported this phenomenon, later clarifying that B.S. Detector is ...
Facebook blocked links to a popular fake news detectorThe Verge
Facebook warned people that a popular fake news detector might be “unsafe”Quartz
Instagram Releases Year-End Data (FB)
The end of the year is fast approaching, meaning “Top X of 2016” lists will soon be ubiquitous. Kicking off the retrospection is Instagram, who released its most followed users of the year yesterday. Unsurprisingly, the list is full of entertainers ...
2016's Top Fan Armies, Songs, Music Moments on InstagramBillboard
World's favorite Instagram destinations for 2016CNN
2016's most brag-worthy destinations & hotels ac
- Marine Corps Times
MARSOC Facebook page takes down meme of 'Saint Mattis'
Marine Corps Times
Marine Corps Special Operations Command has removed an image from its Facebook page that portrayed retired Gen. James Mattis as a saint. Posted after news broke Thursday night that Mattis will be President-elect Donald Trump's nominee for secretary ...
The Facebook page for Marine Special Ops posted a picture of 'Mad Dog' Mattis as a saintBusiness Insiderall 654 news articles »
Selena Gomez crowned queen of Instagram for 2016
Selena rules Instagram, even though she didn't post for three months. Photo by Jeff Kravitz/AMA2016, FilmMagic. Selena Gomez has nabbed the title of most popular celebrity on Instagram, for the second year in a row. The star accounted for eight of the ...
Instagram revealed who has the most followers in 2016 — here are the top 10Business Insider
After a social media break, Selena Gomez still rules InstagramUSA TODAY
Selena Gomez i
A pope, a pop star and the heart emoji: What was hot on Instagram this year
From left, actresses America Ferrera, Amy Schumer, Eva Longoria and Jennifer Lawrence take a selfie together at the Golden Globe Awards. "Really good light back here in the presenters green room," Ferrera said on Instagram on Sunday, January 10.
The 10 Most-Used Emoji Of 2016 Are Kinda SurprisingRefinery29all 4 news articles »
- A US House Science Committee tweet promoting a climate-change denying article has raised questions about the future of climate science under the next administration. On Thursday, the House of Representatives Committee on Science, Space and Technology shared an article from so-called alt-right news and opinion site Breitbart News. According to the article, climate change is driven entirely by weather events like El Niño and La Niña.
- Fast Company
How The Music World Flocked To Instagram In 2016 | Fast Company ...
No longer just a place to share pretty photos of sunsets, the social media platform figured out how to appeal to musicians and their fans.and more »
- Fast Company
How The Music World Flocked To Instagram In 2016
No longer just a place to share pretty photos of sunsets, the social media platform figured out how to appeal to musicians and their fans. How The Music World Flocked To Instagram In 2016. Beyoncé, Kanye West, Selena Gomez, Gorillaz. [Source Photos: ...and more »
Morgan Stanley thinks the tiny video tab on the Facebook app will help it steal money from TV - Business InsiderBusiness Insider
Morgan Stanley thinks the tiny video tab on the Facebook app will help it steal money from TV
Facebook has been testing the introduction of a dedicated video tab inside its mobile app among a select group of users over the past year — a move Morgan Stanley analysts predict will help the social network capture a greater share of the TV ad market.and more »
- Facebook has released a new report which looks at how open users are to conducting business via message.
- Writing short copy is hard, maybe even harder than longer pieces.
- This infographic outlines how to get more followers on Pinterest and boost your Pin presence.
- In a new Social Zoom Factor podcast, Pam Moore discusses the importance of personal branding on social.
- What are the key social media and digital marketing trends to watch in 2017? Here are three big shifts.
- Here are some key tips to help drive targeted traffic to your website.
- Reuters is using an algorithm to detect and verify breaking news events on Twitter. The media agency says the automated system, dubbed "Reuters News Tracer," is helping it to report stories faster than ever.
- A group of former Hillary Clinton campaign staffers is asking Facebook to expand its election alerts to include local races in time for a crucial Louisiana run-off election this month. The Clinton staffers formed a non-profit called Flippable in the wake of their party’s crushing losses in November in order to inform and organize Democrats around state and local races. Chris Walsh, a Flippable founder who was the Clinton campaign’s Ohio regional out-of-state coordinator, said Faceboo
- Twitter has finally found a VP of product thanks to its new acquisition. The company has snapped up San Francisco-based startup and app maker Yes Inc., with its co-founder Keith Coleman assigned the important role.
House Science Committee's Twitter Promotes Article Mocking Climate 'Alarmists'
“The last three years may eventually come to be seen as the final death rattle of the global warming scare” was the message promoted by the influential congressional committee's official Twitter account.and more »
- "Yes! Keith and team are joining Twitter to help lead and strengthen our service!," Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey tweeted on Thursday. Jeff Seibert, who was recently head of product, stepped down from in June after being in the role for about five months. Kevin Weil, who now heads Facebook Inc's Instagram product division, was with Twitter for more than five years and was vice-president of product development before Seibert.
Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg donates $100M to charity
Facebook Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg has donated more than $100 million in Facebook stock to a fund for charitable causes, according to a regulatory filing published Wednesday. Sandberg donated 880,000 Class "A" Facebook shares to the ...
Facebook COO Sandberg donates $100 million to donor-advised fundCNBC
Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg Donates $100 Million to CharitiesWall Street Journal
Facebook's Sheryl Sandberg H
Follow @NwslSocialMedia on Twitter!