- Alphabet, Google’s parent company, said it would halt discussions with cities where it planned to expand its network and would reduce staff at Google Fiber.
- [at TheStreet] - The digital advertising world is dominated by Facebook & Alphabet. When Alphabet reports third-quarter results, investors will be looking to see which side is winning the fight.
- [at Forbes] - Google's first premium smartphones is stunning new competition for Apple and Samsung...
- The national parks are our shared cultural inheritance, passed on from generation to generation for all Americans to enjoy. We believe everyone should have access to these national treasures, which is why we’ve worked to bring the National Parks online with Google Maps, make National Park Service historical artifacts accessible via Google Arts & Culture and created a National Parks immersive documentary.
Today we’re also announcing our sponsorship of the National Park Foundation&
- [at Forbes] - As the Google Pixel continues to pick up critical acclaim, Samsung finds itself with two stories to tell, one it loves and one that it would rather you forget about. In the latest move, the South Korean company is pulling the two stories dangerously close to each other.
- [Reuters] - Alphabet unit Google has been given an extra week to formally respond to allegations by the European Commission that it was blocking rivals in online search advertising, a move likely to delay a regulatory decision on the case until next year. The deadline has been extended to Nov. 3 from Oct. 26, European Commission spokesman Ricardo Cardoso said, making it the second extension. "Google asked for additional time to review the documents in the case file.
- [Business Insider] - Google co-founder Larry Page has been secretly funding a flying car project, and a prototype has...
- [Business Insider] - Google's stock set a new all-time high on Monday, coming off a week of...
FIDO Alliance Announces New Authentication Specification Effort with EMVCo to Bring Added Security and Convenience to Mobile Payments[Marketwired] - MONEY20/20 - FIDO Alliance, the industry consortium developing open, interoperable authentication standards, announced today that it will work with EMVCo to add convenience and security to in-store and ...
- Today, Google announces strategic partnerships with Visa and Mastercard to bring Android Pay to more places on the mobile web.
Android Pay users will soon be able to pay on hundreds of thousands of new sites where Visa Checkout or Masterpass are accepted using their preferred device authentication method - like fingerprint recognition. No longer will users have to remember multiple usernames and passwords in order to checkout, saving them time and hassle.Visa Checkout and Masterpass users who li
- [at Forbes] - Pokemon GO is heading into a pretty bleak winter, facing the unusual problem of a game that relies on good weather to keep its playerbase engaged. Can it do anything to retain them?
- For over a decade now, people around the world have been using YouTube to tell their own stories, in their own words. It’s the perfect medium for passion and performance. Cirque du Soleil demonstrated their skills on stageSo, to celebrate our YouTube stars across Europe, we invited them to participate in Europe on Stage — a talent-show-meets-viral-video mashup. YouTubers came together last Wednesday at Brussels’ BOZAR Centre for Fine Arts, where France’s Yanis Marsha
- Have you ever wondered what it’s like to be an engineer at Google?
Now’s your chance to satisfy your curiosity by volunteering to host a Hash Code hub at your university, office or any local co-working space. Hash Code, a team-based programming competition, tasks university students and professionals across Europe, the Middle East and Africa with solving a real Google engineering problem. And we’re looking for developers to help bring the excitement to
- Apple’s report will offer the first look at sales of the iPhone 7 and the extra business it is getting since Samsung’s troubles with the Galaxy Note 7.
- [at Forbes] - Will Pokemon GO get its own Halloween event? Probably not, but here's what it could look like if Niantic made it happen.
- [Business Insider] - This week didn't look good for Apple. Google's new Pixel phone launched to positive reviews...
- [AAP] - Thailand's government has met with representatives from Internet giant Google, amid growing calls from Thai hardline royalists to bring those who insult the monarchy to justice, as many Thais look with uncertainty to a future without their revered king. King Bhumibol Adulyadej's death on October 13 has thrown the country of 67 million into mourning. It has also led to the rise of ultra-royalist vigilante groups who say they will punish anyone perceived to have insulted the monarchy durin
- [Reuters] - Thailand’s government met with representatives from Internet giant Google, amid growing calls from Thai hardline royalists to bring those who insult the monarchy to justice, as many Thais look with uncertainty to a future without their revered king. King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s death on Oct. 13 has thrown the country of 67 million into mourning. It has also led to the rise of ultra-royalist vigilante groups who say they will punish anyone perceived to have insulted the monar
- If you have an idea for a mobile app, or you just want to become more familiar with how software works, you can get a free education online.
- [Business Insider] - This story was delivered to BI Intelligence Apps and Platforms Briefing subscribers. To...
- [at TheStreet] - This social-media company is still troubled, and its shares have dropped 30% in less than two weeks.
- Editor’s note: San Diego Unified School District has more than 132,000 students across 226 schools. They’re about to embark on what will soon be one of the largest 1:1 Chromebook programs for a school district. Leading the charge is Cindy Marten, superintendent of San Diego Unified School District. We’re proud to work with San Diego Unified School District on this journey and excited about what’s to come.
At San Diego Unified School District it’s our mis
- [at Bloomberg] - Virtual reality’s early adopters got headsets but no killer app. Facebook, Google, and Sony have very different visions of what the medium has to offer and how to make people care.
- [at TheStreet] - By letting users carry out transactions with local businesses on its site and apps, Facebook stands to collect valuable data and give businesses more incentive to buy ads.
- [AP] - Most U.S. consumers haven't heard of LeEco, but the Chinese technology company is setting out to become a household name with smartphones and flat-screen TVs that undercut the prices of Apple, Google, ...
- Whether you’re heading out to buy groceries, grabbing a cup of coffee, or picking up some egg tarts for your family and friends, now your Android phone is all you need as you walk out the door. Starting today, Android Pay is available in Hong Kong to help you speed through purchases in stores and in apps. Hongkongers can now use Android Pay at over 5,000 locations in Hong Kong where contactless payments are accepted, including stores such as at 7-Eleven, Circle K, Fortress, Mannings,&
- G Suite for Education helps students move from collecting ideas to creating projects and papers as quickly and easily as possible. Google Docs achieves this by facilitating collaboration, making it easy to work on any device, and weaving in machine intelligence to handle the more mundane elements of getting work done.
Today we’re introducing new time-saving features to Docs, Sheets and Slides designed to speed up and simplify the way teachers and students work, so they can focus on what&rs
- One of the core promises of Google Docs is to help you and your team go from collecting ideas to achieving your goals as quickly and easily as possible. That’s why last month we launched Explore in Docs, Sheets and Slides — with machine intelligence built right in — to help your team create amazing presentations, spreadsheets and documents in a fraction of the time it used to take.Today, we’re introducing five new time-saving features designed to speed up and simplify the
- The 2016 Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing (GHC) begins today, and we’re thrilled to join the 15,000 women and allies convening in Houston for three days of learning, inspiration and community building. Thousands of women at Google are building tools and products that organize the world’s information, help businesses get online and prosper, and forge connections across a growing digital community of 3.5 billion people. So it only makes sense that Google would be part of
- Editor’s Note: Over the next few months, we'll be shining light on the creative power of teachers worldwide. We’ll share a series of teacher stories, building towards a global online gathering of educators on December 3: Education on Air. Join the movement by sharing what teachers mean to you with #ItTakesATeacher.
Beatriz Porro’s mom was a teacher in Argentina, but she never thought she’d follow in her mother’s footsteps until she saw the impact teaching had on stu
- Google’s phone disappoints, but it’s likely to be around for a long time. That’s because it’s part of a complex of technology that characterizes the new competition.
- ¡Hola! Desplazarse hacia abajo para leer este mensaje en español -Ed.Google Play Music makes it easy for you to listen to the right music at the right moment. Instead of digging through our catalog of 40 million songs on your own, our concierge of playlists helps you find the perfect, expertly curated soundtrack for any mood, activity or time of day. Enjoy music for watching the sunset, cooking or working out.
Starting this week in the U.S., if you’re an avid listener of Latin
- The Pixel, which uses Android software and Assistant, an A.I. virtual assistant, is, relatively speaking, mediocre, but fans of Android won’t regret buying one.
- Today, we’re releasing new research from our partnership with Gallup that investigates the demographic inequities in K-12 computer science (CS) education in two reports, Diversity Gaps in Computer Science: Exploring the Underrepresentation of Girls, Blacks and Hispanics and Trends in the State of Computer Science in U.S. K-12 Schools. We surveyed 16,000 nationally representative groups of students, parents, teachers, principals, and superintendents in the U.S. Our findings explore th
- [at TheStreet] - Credit Suisse increased its price target to $1,070 on Alphabet (GOOGL) stock today.
- [at Investopedia] - According to the CNBC analyst, "haters" reduce the value of Twitter.
- [at Financial Times] - On a sweltering September afternoon in a packed auditorium at Kingston College in south-west London, Humza Arshad is holding a crowd of more than 100 teenagers spellbound. Wearing a padded jacket and a ...
- [at Investopedia] - Research firm eMarketer said email was at the "core" of Yahoo's user base and recent scandals would have a "material effect" on its display ads business.
- Over the years, we've learned that there are as many ways to run an online course as there are instructors to run them. Today's release of Course Builder v1.11 has a focus on improved student access controls, easier visual customization and a new course explorer. Additionally, we've added better support for deploying from Windows!
Improved student access controls
A course's availability is often dynamic - sometimes you want to make a course available to everyone all at once, while other times ma
- Mark your calendars! Next ’17, our marquee event for the Google Cloud community, will take place on March 8–10, 2017 at Moscone Center West in San Francisco.Next ’17 is the destination for Google Cloud developers, partners, customers and IT professionals to learn, get inspired and experience first-hand the tools, technologies and services that Google Cloud is building for the next-generation enterprise, including all of the products across Google Cloud Platform, G Suite, Maps,
- Whether you’re heading home for the holidays or escaping to some exotic destination, one of the most time-consuming and stressful parts of travel planning is finding the right flight and hotel. Sixty-nine percent of U.S. leisure travelers worry that they're not finding the best price or making the best decision while booking a trip — making this kind of purchase more worrisome than financial investments, home improvements or electronics purchases.* This holiday season we’re mak
- [at Barrons.com] - Credit Suisse Internet analyst Stephen Ju today raises his price targets for three big names in his coverage, Alphabet (GOOGL), Amazon.com (AMZN) and Facebook (FB), after assessing the prospects for each going into their Q3 earnings reports in coming days. Alphabet, whose price target he raises to $1,070 from $940, reports earnings October 27th.
- [at 24/7 Wall St.] - A top new addition to the Jefferies Franchise Picks portfolio and four of the technology stocks that Jefferies views as its top high conviction picks.
- [at TheStreet] - Ditch those flame-throwing Note 7s, along with Samsung Electronics' stock. Here is how to profit as Apple gets an even bigger piece of the cellphone pie.
- [Business Insider] - New York's municipal Wi-Fi network only launched in January of this year, but 10 months later, it...
- [Gurufocus] - Guru's top-performing stocks
- [at The Wall Street Journal] - Amid what is arguably one of the most heated and divisive presidential elections in U.S. history, Alphabet Inc.’s Google is adding a new “fact check” label to myth-busting stories that appear in Google ...
- [at Investopedia] - In an interview with the Financial Times, Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff said Twitter "wasn't the right fit."
Setting teachers, students and parents up for success with technology: 5 tips from Bethpage Union Free School DistrictEditor’s note: As part of the ExploreEDU series, schools are working with Google for Education Premier Partners to throw open their doors and invite neighboring educators to learn first-hand from their own experiences using Google tools to innovate and improve. To see if there is an event near you visit the ExploreEDU site. For those that aren’t able to join these events, we’ll also share the schools’ experiences here. Today’s guest author is David Schneider, assist
- [at TheStreet] - Twitter (TWTR) stock took a hit Friday afternoon after Salesforce.com (CRM) CEO Benioff confirmed to the Financial Times that the company isn't looking to acquire Twitter.
Follow @GoogleUnofficia on Twitter!