She catches herself immediately after she uses the word “educate” and specifies that the team will “inform” him, a more neutral term that calls to mind a traditional cabinet briefing. But watch the clip below. Some of her other answers hint at the fact that she imagines a sort of ideological conversion eventually taking place.
“He had made comments about the U.N. but those are not my feelings,” said South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley.
More broadly, Haley differed
- Readers may laugh, but Joe Biden might just be the short-term patch for what ails the Democratic Party. Longtime Democratic strategist Mark Alderman advises Democrats to put the 4o-plus-year denizen of DC on the road to connect with Middle America, calling the outgoing vice-president “the party’s best asset” for the task. The problem is that he may be their only asset for the task:
As they struggle with the challenge of the most unpredictable—and unpresidential&
- Is the party promising access to insurance for everybody, as congressional Republicans have long pledged, or are they promising insurance for everybody, as Trump told WaPo last weekend? The latter implies making universal coverage a top priority in whatever comes next, the former doesn’t. Inquiring minds want to know, and by “inquiring minds” I mean the people on Capitol Hill who are right now trying to come up with a new system of health insurance for the United States.
- Venezuelan socialism has been a huge success. There’s no doubting it now. Thanks to the brilliant economic management of President Nicolas Maduro there are probably now more millionaires in Venezuela than any country in the world. From Fox News:
Amid rampant inflation, widespread shortages of everything from toilet paper to medicine and a failing economy, the Venezuelan government recently introduced three new bank notes into the market ranging from 500 to 20,000 bolivars.
But while s
- How much would it cost to remodel the mayor’s office at City Hall to make it look like the Oval Office? Can’t be more than a hundred thou, I’m thinking. Hillary could cover that with one four-minute speech to Goldman Sachs.
We as a nation are about to embark on a strange and difficult journey on Friday. We deserve the diverting entertainment that one last Clinton campaign would bring, even though we all know we’re not going to get it.De Blasio is further left than Hillary
- What exactly is a member of the House Armed Services and Foreign Affairs committees doing in Syria? According to Politico, none of Rep. Tulsi Gabbard’s House colleagues on either side of the aisle seem to know. Nor do they know who’s funding the trip, except to declare that Gabbard isn’t using taxpayer funds for her travel:
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard’s office won’t say who is paying for the Hawaii Democrat’s controversial trip to Syria and Lebanon this week.
- Just a few months ago progressives were warning that failure to publicly accept the results of the election was a threat to our democratic system. Yet, as of today, one-third of House Democrats say they will skip the inauguration of Donald Trump, the public ceremony marking the peaceful transition of power.
Yesterday I noted that the number refusing to attend the DC event was 52 but by today it had jumped up to sixty-five. Very few of these lawmakers are claiming they are too
- It’s funny how something so critical to everyone in the Democratic party, 98% of the media and even a majority of Republicans (both NeverTrump and otherwise) falls out of fashion once the voting is done. The demands for Trump to provide his tax returns was loud and continuous throughout 2016, but according to the latest Morning Consult polling, interest in the subject has begun to seriously fade.President-elect Donald Trump’s latest reiteration that the only people who care about his
McClatchy: Six federal agencies collaborating on probe into possible covert Russian efforts to help Trump during campaignI’ve got a hunch that the collaboration will start winding down in, oh, about 48 hours or so.
The agencies involved in the inquiry are the FBI, the CIA, the National Security Agency, the Justice Department, the Treasury Department’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network and representatives of the director of national intelligence, the sources said.
Investigators are examining how money may have moved from the Kremlin to covertly help Trump win, the two sources said. One of the allegat
- Former President George H.W. Bush was admitted to a Houston hospital Saturday after complaining of shortness of breath. Initially he seemed to be recovering but Wednesday his condition got worse and he was admitted to the intensive care unit. From CNN:
President Bush was first hospitalized over the weekend suffering from shortness of breath and a cough and was treated with IV antibiotics.
At first, [Bush spokesman Jim] McGrath reported that he was responding well to the drugs. But Wednesday
- File this under Advice We Could Have Used Eight Nine Ten Years Ago. Barack Obama took a moment at his final press conference to share his thoughts on the Fourth Estate and its role in providing accountability to those in power. “You’re not supposed to be complimentary,” Obama intoned to the media that has been running hosannas about the past eight years as Inauguration Day draws near:Pres. Obama to press: "You're not supposed to be complimentary. You're supposed to ca
- Click here for reuse options!"Anyone who takes science and our future seriously wouldn’t dream of naming a climate denying, fossil-fuel industry puppet to lead the EPA." More than 100 people rallied outside the Dirksen Building in Washington, D.C., today demonstrating opposition to the appointment of Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt for EPA Administrator. Protesters carried signs and banners and wore face masks, urging Senators to #StopPruitt.“Anyone who takes science and our f
- Click here for reuse options!It would drive Trump insane to deal with the "45th president" merchandise.Donald Trump will be president very, very soon, and the people completely terrified of what he’ll do to the country and every marginalized group of people are making last ditch efforts for the country to get out of it. Or at least to fuck with Trump as much as possible, which provides some comic relief. Which is why a genius suggested President Obama step down a day early to make Joe
- I’ve lost count of the number of Tweets from liberals I’ve seen in the past few weeks declaring that the GOP was “about to take away healthcare” from some number of millions of poverty stricken children who will now live in alleyways scrounging food out of dumpsters. This, of course, is part of their tactic of putting the GOP “on notice” regarding the repeal of Obamacare. That linked item dealt with a warning from Chuck Schumer, but there are a few other thing
Bob Corker warns: I’m bringing Tillerson’s nomination to the floor whether my committee votes for him or notI’ve never heard of a committee chairman promising before a vote on a major cabinet nominee that the vote simply won’t matter, but here we are.Corker wants to play hardball to get Tillerson confirmed if he lacks votes in committee and move directly to floor. https://t.co/T3qSUAiAdQ
— Manu Raju (@mkraju) January 18, 2017“Can’t remember the last time I saw a self-castration,” says my pal Karl of Corker. Normally a chairman wants his committee (and himself, by ex
- As many as 25 Jewish groups across the U.S. received anonymous bomb threats by telephone Wednesday. This is the second time in two weeks that Jewish community centers and schools have been targeted with such threats. From the Jerusalem Post:
Paul Goldenberg, the director of Secure Community Networks — an affiliate of the Jewish federations of North America, which advises Jewish groups and institutions on security — said there were bomb threats called in Wednesday to Jewish community
- Click here for reuse options!Though it has some of the best on-shore wind resources the U.S., Wyoming Is by far the nation's largest coal producer.Republican lawmakers in Wyoming have introduced a bill that would block the use of renewable energy in the state. If passed, utilities that use wind or solar to produce power for Wyoming residents would be penalized with a costly fine of $10-per-megawatt-hour. Under Senate File 71, only six resources—coal,
- Over the years, one of the bright spots at the Washington Post has been the work of Colbert I. King. While we obviously don’t agree on everything, he usually covers the D.C. metro beat and his reporting is generally fair and critical of the district’s government where deserved. He’s done a lot of work on the outrageous but often unreported crime rate and the problems residents have been facing on that score. This week he looks at a collection of weapons confiscated from crimina
- Click here for reuse options!Rep. Jaime Raskin says the president-elect's business dealing clearly violate the Emoluments Clause.
Donald Trump won't be sworn into office for another 48 hours, and at least one Democratic congressman has already seen enough.In a discussion with Young Turks reporter Eric Byler at the Bowie State University health care rally this weekend, newly elected Rep. Jaime Raskin (D-MD) revealed that one of his first orders of business will be impeaching the president-elect.
- This is it. There’s nothing scheduled at the White House tomorrow except meetings, according to the NYT. You’ll see him on Friday morning, of course, but in a non-speaking role, which means this is the last time we’ll ever have to let him be clear. The professor is retiring. School’s out, forever.
His final job approval rating, per ABC/WaPo, stands at 60 percent. Ross Douthat peers into the near-future and sees a rosy legacy for The One courtesy of the usual crowd of libe
- Click here for reuse options!Donald Trump tweeted that Congressman John Lewis was "All talk, talk, talk—no action" following Lewis' controversial interview.On Friday, Democratic Congressmember John Lewis questioned the legitimacy of Trump’s election during an interview on NBC News. Early on Saturday morning on Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, Donald Trump hit back at Lewis on Twitter, saying he was "All talk, talk, talk–no action." Trump’s comments sparked a massive nation
- And thus does the First Crisis of the Trump Administration come to its conclusion. When Reince Priebus first suggested that the incoming president and his staff wanted to think outside the box for media relations and perhaps end the practice of reserved seating for briefings, national outlets made that the story of the day. When Sean Spicer suggested that they might need a bigger box for daily press briefings, it got reported as Trump kicking the media out of the White House.
Donald Trump t
- Click here for reuse options!Ill, 40 years in jail, 6 in solitary confinement, guilt questionable; it is time to let Peltier out of prison. I was an agent with the FBI when two of my fellow agents were murdered at the Pine Ridge Reservation in 1975; today I’m calling on President Obama to free the man convicted of killing them. I didn’t know Special Agents Jack Coler and Ronald Williams personally, but I felt the same shock and horror that everyone in the FBI felt at their death
- A new environmental study of the final mile of the Dakota Access Pipeline was officially announced by the Army Wednesday. The study could take up to two years to complete. Energy Transfer Partners, the pipeline’s developer, has asked a judge to block it and a hearing to consider the request is scheduled for later today. From the Associated Press:
The Army published a notice Wednesday of its intent to prepare an environmental impact statement on the Lake Oahe crossing. Texas-based deve
- Click here for reuse options!The Vermont senator supplied his share of fireworks during Wednesday's confirmation hearing.Since his stunning election night victory, Donald Trump and the greater Republican Party have been noncommittal at best about the former's vow to preserve the country's Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security benefits. So during Wednesday's confirmation hearing, Sen. Bernie Sanders decided to put the president-elect's pick to lead the Department of Health and Human Services on
- There’s always a catch, eh? Earlier, Wikileaks announced that Julian Assange would agree to extradition to the US if Barack Obama gave clemency to Chelsea Manning, at the time serving a 35-year sentence for providing over 700,000 classified documents to Wikileaks. After Obama granted Manning a commutation yesterday, Wikileaks and Assange’s attorney said Assange would honor that deal. Kind of:
A lawyer for Julian Assange has indicated that the WikiLeaks founder is ready to face extrad
- Understanding that Garrison Keillor is a satirist who largely speaks with his tongue planted firmly in his cheek, his latest column probably speaks a lot more truth about the state of liberal America today than many serious efforts at journalism manage to do. Casting about for someone to blame in terms of Donald Trump preparing to take the oath of office, Keillor settles on one group in particular: the Christians who voted in large numbers to elect the next president. So despondent is he about t
- Trust me when I tell you that you’ve never seen something like this before on cable news and probably never will again.
Did people actually believe this was real? I mean, the group’s website promises that “When you need the appearance of outrage, we are able to deliver it at scale while keeping your reputation intact” — under the heading “Unassailable Authenticity.”
Demand Protest, a San Francisco company that bills itself as the “largest private g
- There was a time in my younger days when I would have seen a headline such as this and simply assumed that it came from some sort of parody publication. Perhaps National Lampoon. In the modern era, however, it’s really just another day at the office. Sure, it would be pleasant to think that you’re being tricked and this is just some sort of Rickroll to The Onion, but it’s not. At one school in North Carolina, students will be able to watch the inauguration of the next president
- Click here for reuse options!Everyone will be covered—in six feet of dirt.
Click here for reuse options! Related StoriesAlterNet Comics: Jen Sorensen on the GOP's Repeal and Destroy Healthcare Non-StrategyAlterNet Comics: Jen Sorensen on the Futility of 'Just Give Him a Chance'AlterNet Comics: Brian McFadden on the Real Inaugural Events
- Click here for reuse options!Many Republicans actually think women are better off than men in America—but liberals are fired up to fight back.When a tragedy like the election of Donald Trump befalls a nation, it’s understandable that people are going to wonder how we got here. Lots of theories have been offered, from iffy ones like “economic insecurity” to well-evidenced ones like “a whole lot of white people are racist.” A new report rom the nonpartisan resea
- Click here for reuse options!There are also 5-1 odds of the golden shower video leaking. Donald Trump isn’t officially president yet, but some online gamblers are already thinking about his prospective impeachment.Per the Houston Press, Irish betting website Paddy Power is now putting 4-1 odds on Trump getting impeached within the first six months of his presidency. Additionally, the website thinks it’s even more likely that Trump will not finish his first term, as it gives
- Does HHS Secretary nominee Tom Price have a conflict-of-interest problem — or does CNN have a credibility problem? Two days ago, CNN’s Manu Raju reported that Price had purchased stock in a company that would benefit from legislation he had drafted just prior to introducing it to the House. That would violate House rules and create a big problem for his confirmation hearing, which starts today:
Rep. Tom Price last year purchased shares in a medical device manufacturer days before int
- Click here for reuse options!With all this support of the ACA from Obama-haters, maybe the GOP shouldn't be so quick to repeal and (supposedly) replace.Jimmy Kimmel's team took to the streets to prove, once again, that when it comes to the heath care debate, it's all in a name."As you know, Republicans in Congress have been hard at work looking to repeal and replace Obamacare right now," Kimmel began. "People have very strong opinions about the president's heath care plan."The Affordable Care Ac
- So who’s looking forward to noon on Friday when Barack Obama leaves office once and for all? (I could probably pause here for several hours while our various readers weigh in.) The President has his fans and supporters to be sure, as demonstrated in the most recent polling, but there are plenty of other citizens who won’t be sorry to see the end of these two terms. One notable group in the latter category seems to be the nation’s police, at least in the opinion of the leader of
- Click here for reuse options!Bill Clinton once said America would be a lot better off if our leaders slept more. President-elect Donald J. Trump regularly boasts he’s the biggest winner, makes the biggest deals, and appoints the best people, and recently he claimed he’ll be the biggest job creator god ever created. He also brags that he does all these amazing things on next to no sleep. This 70-year-old pre-adolescent made numerous boasts on the campaign trail last year about his sle
- Three days from the end of his term, Barack Obama used his clemency power to commute sentences for a notorious terrorist, and an even more notorious source for a website that Obama has spent the past two months attacking as a Russian intelligence front or stooge. What does the outgoing president plan for an encore? What could possibly be more controversial than this round of clemency actions?
I don’t know, but … we’re about to find out:
In a last-minute flurry of orders, Obama
- Yes, I could have jumped on this story last night before Allahpundit did, but I chose not to for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted the chance to make sure that this was a real story and not just some fever swamp nightmare induced by a bowl of three bean chili of questionable age. Second, if I had jumped into the fray immediately I would probably be unemployed by now because we strive to keep this a PG-13 site. My initial reactions, echoing through my house for more than an hour, were definite
- Click here for reuse options!Bernie Sanders: If you were not a multibillionaire, would you would be sitting here today?
Secretary of Education nominee Betsy DeVos was grilled by Democratic senators during her January 17 confirmation hearing. Here were the five most shocking moments of the interview.1. Guns in Schools“Do you think guns have any place in or around schools?" Sen. Chris Murphy, D-CT, asked DeVos. Murphy has become a major advocate of gun control since representing Ne
- Click here for reuse options!Judith Miller says the whistleblower cost American lives. She's one to talk.A prominent journalist who spread lies the U.S. government used to sell the war in Iraq—which led to the deaths of an estimated 1 million-plus people—implied that whistleblower Chelsea Manning has blood on her hands for exposing U.S. atrocities in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.Manning, who has been serving a 35-year prison sentence for leaking classified documents to WikiLeaks,
- “Another thing he will be wrong about,” quips Ben Shapiro.
Question: Did Kerry mean this the way it came out or did the audience detect a joke that wasn’t really intended?
JOHN KERRY: We’ll have injured our own credibility in, conceivably, an irreparable way. Not irreparably. There’s time, and that’s just too dramatic. But we will have done great injury to ourselves. And it will hurt for the endurance of a year, two years, whatever, while the [Trump] administr
- An escape from gridlock, or the start of three-dimensional bad driving? Having grown up on futuristic movies that feature flying cars — perhaps most especially in the Back to the Future trilogy — we often lament the lack of this technology as some sort of broken promise, usually without asking whether it’s a promise worth keeping. Despair not, though — Airbus says it will have a prototype ready in 2018 as an individual transport:Airbus Group plans to test a prototype for
Brave New Films Video: Protect Public Education by Stopping Betsy DeVos From Becoming Next U.S. Secretary of EducationClick here for reuse options!"You lured me in with the promise of a high-quality education and you lied."Trump’s nomination of Betsy DeVos for education secretary is a threat to public education. DeVos has spent millions funding the privatization of education in Michigan. The result? A failing school system where almost 80 percent of schools are run by private, for-profit companies.The charter schools in Michigan, influenced by DeVos’s agenda, perform lower than national averages, ha
- THE BUSINESS TIMES
Shareholders approve Liberty Media F1 takeover-related proposals
THE BUSINESS TIMES
John Malone, chairman of Liberty Media Corp. Liberty Media Corp said its shareholders voted to approve funding and changes related to the takeover of the Formula One (F1) racing car series. PHOTO: BLOOMBERG. [BENGALURU] Liberty Media Corp said ...and more »
- Click here for reuse options!The ideals of the Human Be-In remain woven through American culture. Born of the simple intention to unite people in the name of connection and love, an event on the polo fields of Golden Gate Park half a century ago sparked a cultural paradigm shift unrivaled in the U.S. since World War II. But this time it was the antithesis to war that would reshape America: the Summer of Love.The impetus for that fateful summer was called the Human Be-In, in a nod to the peaceful
- Click here for reuse options!Obama administration commutes majority of sentence following sustained pressure from social movements.The Obama administration announced Tuesday afternoon that it will commute the majority of the remaining sentence of whistle-blower Chelsea Manning, and she will reportedly be freed in May 2017 along with the political prisoner Oscar López Rivera.One of 209 commutations granted by President Barack Obama on Tuesday, the decision follows a mounting public pressur
- Click here for reuse options!It may produce a short-lived boom. Then, look out. Donald Trump’s administration will implement large tax cuts and substantial financial deregulation. President Trump may also change U.S. policies on trade, although precisely what he will do is less clear—and the shift may be more rhetorical than real. Trump is also likely to substantially cut or privatize federal spending. To the extent that his policies add up to a coherent economic strategy, they are r
- Click here for reuse options!The pathological is political. Not since The Wizard of Oz has anyone proclaimed himself to be so great and powerful as Donald Trump.He knows more than the generals, the spies and the senators. He knows more than the Federal Reserve, the State Department and the scientists.He often tells us that he is “a smart person.” Explaining why he does not need to pay attention to intelligence briefings, he said, “I’m, like, a very sma
- Click here for reuse options!The rise of a right-wing nationalist regime in the United States is now a realistic possibility.On November 8 the rise of a right-wing nationalist regime in the United States became a realistic possibility, if not now then in the coming years. Such regimes stress nationalist and patriotic themes, play upon and intensify fear of minority ethnicities and/or religions and/or other long-oppressed groups, promise to resolve festering economic problems of ordinary people,
David Lynch Explains How Meditation Boosts Our Creativity (Plus Free Resources to Help You Start Meditating)via Open CultureDavid Lynch meditates, and he meditates hard. Beginning his practice in earnest after it helped him solve a creative problem during the production of his breakout 1977 film Eraserhead, he has continued meditating assiduously ever since, going so far as to found the David Lynch Foundation for Consciousness-Based Education and Peace and publish a pro-meditation book called […]David Lynch Explains How Meditation Boosts Our Creativity (Plus Free Resources to Help You Start Meditatin
Follow @CultureMediaNws on Twitter!