It’s Time to Stop Using Plastic Drinking Straws: They Harm Wildlife and Are Bad for the Environment (Video)Click here for reuse options!Americans use 500 million plastic straws every single day.When it comes to environmental issues facing our planet, everybody likes to pass the buck. Conscientious consumers will blame big business for wasteful production practices. Corporations in turn contend they are merely meeting supply and demand. Neither group is completely wrong. The real problem, though, comes when both sides aren’t willing to change their behavior.For an example, look no further than t
- Back in 2011, the Los Angeles Times ran a profile on Sarah Tubert, then a 17-year-old student who lost her hearing as a young child. With the help of her family, Sarah persevered, became a star water polo and volleyball player in high school, and earned a full scholarship to Gallaudet University–all with the hope of one day becoming an instructor for deaf and hearing-impaired students.
Five years later, Sarah is making good on her promise. Above
- Click here for reuse options!But no, Trump doesn't have a woman problem. It’s no secret that underage girls are some of the most exploited people in the modeling industry. A new report by the Daily Beast indicates that before he became the Republican nominee, then-upcoming real estate mogul Donald Trump was at the forefront of such exploitation.Michael Gross, who has covered the billionaire for over 30 years, describes parties Trump hosted in the 1990s where “his wealthy friends, hig
The Artists’ and Writers’ Cookbook Collects Recipes From T.C. Boyle, Marina Abramović, Neil Gaiman, Joyce Carol Oates & MoreThe Artists’ and Writers’ Cookbook: A Collection of Stories with Recipes © 2016, edited by Natalie Eve Garrett, illustrated by Amy Jean Porter, published by powerHouse Books..
There will never not be a market for the cookbook, with all its various subcategories, from fad diet to celebrity chef. While The Onion’s proposed “Nietzschean Diet” (which “lets you eat whatever you fear most”) may never catch on, one unusual cookbook niche does involve the
- Click here for reuse options!Donald Trump won't go down without a fight. Neither will his supporters. Expect this November to be ugly, no matter who wins.Nearly half of Republicans won’t accept this election’s results if the opposing candidate wins, according to a new Reuters-IPSOS poll.The survey, which was conducted online from Oct. 14 to Oct. 20, discovered that 49 percent of Republicans would not accept the legitimacy of this election if their candidate doesn’t win. It also
- Click here for reuse options!Water protectors have endured dog attacks, invasive strip searches and military-style checkpoints. Military-style checkpoints. Low-flying surveillance planes. Invasive strip searches. These are just some of the repression tactics that have targeted the thousands of Indigenous people and supporters who, heeding the call of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, mobilized to North Dakota to stop the proposed $3.8 billion crude-oil Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL).Now, those peopl
- Monday’s release of a third video in Project Veritas’ expose of dirty tricks perpetrated by liberal groups connected to the Democratic National Committee and the Clinton campaign featured what appears to be a significant violation of campaign finance laws.
As AP wrote up yesterday, it all revolves around a duck:
James O’Keefe takes you through the basics of illegal campaign coordination in the clip. Do note that Bob Creamer himself seems to understand that something untoward is
- Click here for reuse options!Thiel says his 1995 manifesto against political correctness includes "several insensitive, crudely argued statements." Billionaire venture capitalist and Donald Trump backer Peter Thiel became a household name and press scourge earlier this year, when he assumed the role of one-man anti-free speech crusader and bankrolled the $10 million lawsuit that destroyed Gawker. Now, Thiel has been forced to apologize for some ill-considered speech of his own.Monday, the Facebo
- The defamation case against Rolling Stone magazine over their bogus “Rape on Campus” story took yet another interesting turn this week. On Saturday we saw the reporter in the case, Sabrina Rubin Erdely, tearfully recounting the moment when she saw her story falling apart. Yesterday there was a video deposition of the actual “victim” in the story which showed Jackie seemingly blaming the entire affair on the reporter, while also claiming that she’s having a lot of tr
- The Hillary Clinton campaign announced yesterday that recording mogul Jay Z will headline a concert on behalf of their African-American get out the vote effort, according to CNN.
Rapper Jay Z will headline a concert for Hillary Clinton in Cleveland before Election Day, according to a Clinton aide.
The event — which aides expect will draw thousands — is part of an ongoing series of concerts that aim to motivate young people to turn out for Clinton the way they turned out for Barack Ob
- Click here for reuse options!The Clinton surrogate turned Trump's infamous debate remark against the GOP nominee in the best way possible.
Nasty women across America will head to the polls on November 8 with Donald Trump's interruption during the final president presidential debate seared into their minds. And on Monday, at a Hillary Clinton rally in New Hampshire, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) sought to remind the GOP nominee of just that:"Get this, Donald," Warren began. "Nasty women are tough.
- Ever since John Podesta’s emails revealed that interim DNC chair Donna Brazile had sent at least one debate question to Hillary Clinton’s team in advance she has denied the charges. Of course, that’s not exactly the case. Nobody seems to have been able to get Donna to say that she didn’t do it. She simply tells us that she won’t be persecuted, while implying that the Russians altered the emails. But could the hackers have done that even if they wished?
A new analysi
Samantha Bee Scorches Trump and Church-Owned Hospitals Whose Abortion Views Take America Back CenturiesClick here for reuse options!"Decisions affecting millions of vaginas are being determined by people who have never owned one or touched one."Right after their "orgy of mutual loathing," also known as the final presidential debate, Clinton and Trump attended the annual Al Smith Dinner in New York. Unfortunately, neither was pleasant for the presidential nominees."The event forced them almost as close together as Maria Bartiromo's show stealing ta-tas," joked "Full Frontal" host Samantha Bee."Was
- Can Republicans find a piece of good news this election in Minnesota? Democrats have a good chance of retaking control of the Senate, and think they might have an opening to challenge for control of the House if Donald Trump drops far enough behind Hillary Clinton. However, one traditionally Democratic House seat might flip back to Republicans for only the second time in over 40 years — and Trump might be the reason why.
Survey USA sees an upset brewing in Minnesota’s eighth Congress
- In 2012 the Obama Administration granted temporary legal status to close to 750,000 illegal immigrants under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.Now they are going door-to-door campaigning on behalf of Hillary Clinton and other Democrats.
They crossed the border illegally, and can’t vote. But they can knock on doors helping @luannbennet https://t.co/MS6n63PLoc
— CASA in Action (@CASAenAccion) October 23, 2016The Washington Post followed the campaign activit
- Click here for reuse options!"I assume someday, sometime, somebody will read this email."Like most parents President Obama generally learns how to use new technology from his children"Sasha gave me instructions on Snapchat," he told Jimmy Kimmel on Monday night. "One night at dinner, we're sitting there and I had read Snapchat was becoming really popular among her age cohort. I said, 'Tell me about Snapchat."After her lengthy explanation, the president soon found out that his daughter had been r
- The vicious, vitriolic imagery and rhetoric of this election season can seem overwhelming, but as even casual students of history will know, it isn’t anything new. Each time historic social change occurs, reactionary counter-movements resort to threats, appeals to fear, and demeaning caricatures—whether it’s anti-Reconstruction propaganda of the 19th century, anti-Civil Rights campaigns 100 years later, or anti-LGBT rights efforts today.At the turn of the century, the women&rs
- How do we create a just society? 50,000 years or so at it and humanity still has a long way to go before figuring that out, though not for lack of trying. The four animated videos of “What Is Justice?”—a miniseries within BBC Radio 4 and the Open University’s larger project of animating the ideas of philosophers throughout history and explaining them in the voices of various famous narrators—tell us what John Rawls, Henry David Thoreau, and the Bible, amon
- “The Walking Dead” might be the only show I watch in which my reaction to each episode is apt to wander afterward. Every other series I follow, I know what I think about it once the hour’s over. With TWD, sometimes I reconsider because I often can’t tell if there’s more or less to what I just saw than meets the eye. Was last night’s episode “torture porn”? Or was it more meaningful than that?
The beatings of Abraham and Glenn must have been one of
- How about some good news out of New Jersey for a change? This weekend there was a high school football game scheduled between Middletown South and Toms River North, just as in so many other towns around the country. (I used to live outside of Toms River back in the 80s. Very nice area.) But before the kickoff, the teams had a special event planned which was coordinated with local law enforcement. They were going to provide a salute to the nation’s police officers, EMTs, firemen and militar
- Former Chris Christe aide Bridget Anne Kelly testified in court Monday that the Governor knew about lane closures on the George Washington bridge. From Politico:
She testified that on the day of the Dec. 13, 2013 news conference, Christie hastily called a senior staff meeting and instructed the dozen or so people in the room to tell Kevin O’Dowd, the governor’s chief of staff, if they knew anything about the closures prior to the first media reports.
Kelly said she “reminded&rd
- Click here for reuse options!Trump is furious the government can't force media outlets to publicly apologize to him for getting facts wrong.Donald Trump has said in the past that he wants to change our country’s libel laws to make it easier for people like him to sue critical media outlets—and now we have a better idea of what he’s considering.Per LawNewz, Trump this week told Miami-based television station WFOR-TV that he wants to change our libel laws so they’re a
- Jazz wrote about it Saturday, I followed up earlier today and the mainstream media began taking notice later Monday afternoon. It’s one of those stories that just doesn’t make any sense, no matter what you political persuasion may be.
It’s the story of combat vets from the Iraq or Afghanistan wars forced to reimburse reenlistment bonuses they were promised ten years after they’d received them.
And it’s a total outrage.
Monday afternoon, I interviewed Rep. Mac Thornb
- Click here for reuse options!Hayden, dead at 76, was a master strategist, brilliant speaker and long-distance runner for change. Tom Hayden was a political prodigy: a visionary in his youth, he foresaw the political contours of the emerging counterculture in the 1960s as if he had a crystal ball. In many ways, Hayden’s greatest achievement was one his earliest: by largely authoring the founding statement of a radically new student organization, the Students for a Democratic Society (SDS),
- Click here for reuse options!An appreciation of the legendary political activist. This article first appeared in The American Prospect.In 2013, Tom Hayden—who died Sunday at 76 from complications related to a stroke he suffered a year and a half ago while investigating fracking and oil drilling in California—donated his archives to his alma mater, the University of Michigan. The 120 boxes of material include more than 22,000 pages of his FBI files, the result of the agency’s 15
- The Oxford University Press is getting ready to release a new edition of the complete works of Shakespeare. Why on Earth is this bit of news worthy of attention? Because for the first time ever, three of the Bard’s plays will be listed with a co-author… Christopher Marlowe. This coverage of the curious announcement comes from NPR.
Oxford University Press has announced that its new edition of the complete works of William Shakespeare will credit Christopher Marlowe as a co-author on
- An O’Keefe-ian turn by the UK’s Daily Telegraph, although this is far less damaging to Trump than the Project Veritas videos are to Hillary despite the media oohing and ahhing over it this afternoon.
The sting is straightforward. The Telegraph had reporters pose as consultants to a fake Chinese businessman and then approach pro-Clinton and pro-Trump fundraisers with the promise of a $2 million donation — an illegal donation, as foreigners aren’t allowed to contribute to U
- To cleanse the palate, via the Federalist, how do you make an effective ad when you’re running for county commissioner and the sexiest issue you’re apt to be dealing with is traffic? Even worse: How do you make an effective ad showcasing the fact that you’re a wonk?
This sonofagun did it. My God, he’s like a property-tax-assessing Rain Man.The post Video: The best campaign ad of the year appeared first on Hot Air.
- The Obama administration confirmed Monday that Obamacare prices are going up sharply next year, with average rate hikes above 20 percent in the 39 states using the federal exchange. From the Associated Press:
Before taxpayer-provided subsidies, premiums for a midlevel benchmark plan will increase an average of 25 percent across the 39 states served by the federally run online market, according to a report from the Department of Health and Human Services. Some states will see much bigger jum
- Over the weekend I wrote about the Montana judge who was given a sixty day jail sentence for repeatedly raping his own daughter. That’s a sickening tale which leaves us with a number of questions about mandatory minimums in sentencing, judicial discretion and the accountability of judges. Today, however, there’s a second case to look at and it is, if anything, even more vomit inducing than the last one. But there’s a key difference here. The perpetrator in this atrocity was sen
- Another leaked John Podesta email shows how self-conscious the Clinton campaign was about hiring a certain percentages of women and minority candidates to fill top positions, even leaving a position open for an unnamed “Hispanic Woman” and assuming another position would go to a “white woman.” The February 2015 email sent by Clinton confidante Cheryl Mills is headlined “Here is Robby’s List of the top 10 or so positions,” a reference to campaign manager
- This … sounds like a non-sequitur. Chuck Todd gave Tim Kaine a tough time yesterday about the e-mails published by Wikileaks, including a couple of exchanges in John Podesta’s archives at the Center for American Progress on the Catholic Church.
“I’m curious if, as a Catholic,” the Meet the Press host wondered (7:20 mark in the video below), “you were offended by one of the Wikileaks that came out.” Todd cites the exchange between now-Team Hill
Kurt Vonnegut’s Term Paper Assignment from the Iowa Writers’ Workshop Teaches You to Read Fiction Like a WriterImage by Daniele Prati, via Flickr Commons
I wish I’d had a teacher who framed his or her assignments as letters…
Which is really just another way of saying I wish I’d been lucky enough to have taken a class with writers Kurt Vonnegut or Lynda Barry.
There’s still hope of a class with Barry, aka Professor Chewbacca, Professor Old Skull, and most recently, Professor Drogo. Those of us who can’t get a seat at the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery, the Omega Ins
- We’re in an unfortunate place as a party when the GOP nominee’s down six points in the national four-way average and yet it’s Big News for his campaign manager to acknowledge that, yes, he’s trailing at the moment, as Conway does at the beginning of the clip below. It takes a lot of cocooning from some very influential people to make what she says “controversial,” and in this case the cocooning starts right at the top.
Major story that the Dems are making up p
- “There comes Poe with his raven,” wrote the poet James Russell Lowell in 1848, “like Barnaby Rudge, / Three-fifths of him genius and two-fifths sheer fudge.” Barnaby Rudge, as you may know, is a novel by Charles Dickens, published serially in 1841. Set during the anti-Catholic Gordon Riots of 1780, the book stands as Dickens’ first historical novel and a prelude of sorts to A Tale of Two Cities. But what, you may wonder, does it have to do with Poe and “
- Elizabeth Warren is campaigning with Hillary Clinton today in New Hampshire. Warren used her time at the microphone to bash Donald Trump over accusations of inappropriate behavior toward women. Warren then did a riff on “nasty women” going to the polls.
“He thinks that because he has money that he can call women fat pigs and bimbos,” Warren said. “He thinks that because he is a celebrity that he can rate women’s bodies from one to ten. He thinks that beca
- Click here for reuse options!At a Trump rally in suburban Pennsylvania, the media is enemy number one.It’s an eye-opening experience, walking down a winding street in suburban Pennsylvania on a Friday night toward the Newtown Athletic Club, where Republican candidate Donald Trump is slated to speak soon. The street is lined with fallen leaves and a dozen or so “Make America Great Again” signs, and as my colleague and I lug two large bags full of media equipment toward the sport
- Click here for reuse options!Common desktop items like keyboards and mice may be teeming with harmful bacteria. It’s the 21st century and office tech is commonplace. We go to our offices and get swiped in with electronic badges, we sit at our desks and use mice and track pads to navigate our computers, and we place calls on our cell phones. After handling all these tech items, we grab a sandwich and eat lunch at our desks with the same hands that have been touching all these office items.
- Sure looks like it. James O’Keefe takes you through the basics of illegal campaign coordination in the clip. Do note that Bob Creamer himself seems to understand that something untoward is being admitted when he tells the undercover investigator that Hillary is all-in on the sub-moronic “Donald ducks” idea — and then quickly urges him not to mention that elsewhere. Also note: This isn’t the first time recently that the Clinton campaign has been accused of coordinati
- Click here for reuse options!The Donald chokes whenever he gets near race.
It’s easy to caricaturize a living, breathing caricature, which is why Donald Trump impersonations are so simple to do. Just pucker your lips, exude insecurity, whine about the media, and boast that you grab women by the genitals. Oh, and don’t forget to talk about “the blacks,” “the Hispanics” and “the Muslims,” and how much they all love you. Because why shout “I&rsq
- Click here for reuse options!On Nov. 8, Arkansas, Florida and North Dakota will vote on medical marijuana.Currently 25 states and the District of Columbia have medical cannabis programs. On Nov. 8, Arkansas, Florida and North Dakota will vote on medical cannabis ballot initiatives, while Montana will vote on repealing limitations in its existing law.We have no political position on cannabis legalization. We study the cannabis plant, also known as marijuana, and its related chemical compounds. De
- Click here for reuse options!During an appearance on the daytime talk show, Moore also discussed his new film on Trump.Liberal filmmaker Michael Moore told the hosts of ABC’s The View on Monday that Hillary Clinton “lives” her faith instead of making it a part of her campaign.During an appearance on the daytime talk show, Moore explained that his new movie, Michael Moore in Trumpland, was actually more about Clinton than Donald Trump.“This is really a film
- The Missouri Senate race is heating up, with the polls showing a very tight contest in the final weeks. It’s at a time like this when the gloves tend to come off and the candidates begin throwing everything at the wall to see what might stick. That seems to be the case with Democratic Secretary of State Jason Kander who is seeking to replace Republican Roy Blunt. This past week they’ve tossed up a new advertising campaign which is certainly hard hitting, but the specifics may leave M
- Click here for reuse options!"Some towns have been devastated," Oliver warned.“Last Week Tonight” host John Oliver on Sunday devoted his main segment to America’s wide-reaching opioid epidemic.“As of 2015, an estimated 2.6 million Americans were addicted to” opioids, Oliver noted, citing SAMHSA numbers. “And they’re now involved in almost 30,000 overdose deaths a year in the U.S.”“This is happening everywhere,”
- Click here for reuse options!Yes, Trump has been finally been undone by his own vileness. But don't overlook the woman who's kicking his butt. The latest polls are looking good for Hillary Clinton and increasingly so for Democrats further down on the ballot. The ABC tracking poll, which Nate Silver designates as A plus, was released on Sunday, showing Clinton with a 12-point lead over Trump. That’s a bigger lead than in most other polls but the averages across the board have her
- Click here for reuse options!Those who reported at least 200 hours of volunteer work per year were 40 percent less likely to develop high blood pressure. The following is an excerpt from the book The Giving Way to Happiness by Jenny Santi (TarcherPerigee, 2016): The first study to intentionally examine the effect of motives of volunteers on their subsequent mortality was conducted in 2011 by a team led by Sarah Konrath of the University of Michigan.[i] Respondents who volunteered were found
- After being closed for 2+ years for repairs and restoration, The New York Public Library’s historic Rose Main Reading Room reopened earlier this month. Above, you can watch 52,000 books getting reshelved in a quick, two-minute timelapse film. Books getting reshelved. Paint drying. A time lapse film can make everything interesting.
Then watch this very related item: The New York Public Library Unveils a Cutting-Edge Train That Delivers Books.
Follow Open Culture on Facebook and Tw
- Click here for reuse options!Why is no one studying "sexual friendships" among women previously ignored, like single moms?“Straight girls kissing” has become something of a curious and controversial cultural phenomenon over the last 15 years.Madonna and Britney Spears famously locked lips in front of millions during the 2003 Video Music Awards, with Scarlett Johansson and Sandra Bullock following suit seven years later at the MTV Movie Awards. In 2008, Katy Perry went platinum singin
- The hacker known as the Jester left a message on a Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website Friday. From CNN Money:
“Comrades! We interrupt regular scheduled Russian Foreign Affairs Website programming to bring you the following important message,” he wrote. “Knock it off. You may be able to push around nations around you, but this is America. Nobody is impressed.”
MID.ru is the official website of the Russian agency that is in charge of maintaining that country’
- Click here for reuse options!With the state’s demographics and political makeup shifting, backlash against anti-LGBT law may help send Democrat Roy Cooper to the governor's office.Ian Palmquist was running errands last Tuesday when the North Carolina gubernatorial debate came on the air. As the 39-year-old gay activist drove around Raleigh, listening to his car radio, he couldn’t help but feel like something in this most purple of Southern states had shifted.Democrat Roy Cooper, the
Follow @CultureMediaNws on Twitter!