U.S. President Donald Trump’s first budget is “not touching” Social Security, Medicare and other entitlement programs, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Sunday.
In an interview on Fox News, Mnuchin said the administration is “not touching those now” despite hopes in the Republican Congress to make radical changes.
Oscars 2017 Red Carpet Live Stream: When And Where To Watch Celebrity Arrivals At The Academy Awards Online Or On TVThe best part of the Oscars happens before the statues are handed out—at least, most fashionistas feel that way. We’re talking about the red carpet, of course. Tons of celebrities will be using the event to make a fashion statement, and that makes those red carpet specials must-see TV.
ABC viewers can tune in at 7 p.m. EST Sunday for an hour and a half of red carpet coverage. Robin Roberts, Michael Strahan and Lara Spencer will host what is being called “The Oscars Opening Cere
- It was another great year for movies, and the best films will be recognized Sunday night at the 89th annual Academy Awards. The top filmmakers will be present at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, California, for the 2017 Oscars.
“La La Land” enters the show with a record-tying 14 nominations, but plenty of other films will also be honored. A total of 64 movies have received at least one nomination in the 24 categories.
- Bill Paxton has died. The actor, who starred in CBS’ new “Training Day” reboot, was 61. His loved ones revealed that he died during a surgery.
Best-Dressed At The 2017 Costume Designers Guild Awards: Jane Fonda, Mandy Moore, Lily Collins And MoreOscar noms leader "La La Land took" home the trophy for Excellence in Contemporary Film with "Hidden Figures" earning the Excellence in Period Film Award and "Doctor Strange" winning Excellence in Fantasy Film at the 2017 Costume Designers Guild Awards on Tuesday at the Beverly Hilton.
- LG just brought another device to the very competitive market of flagship smartphones. Ditching last year’s modular design for the G5, the South Korean brand is making a comeback with a beautiful slab that is the LG G6.
- Didn't get a spot on the red carpet?
If not, don't worry. The Tuck Room Tavern in the Westwood neighborhood of Los Angeles has you covered this Oscar Sunday. This year, guests are invited to watch red carpet arrivals and all of the award show action on oversized TV screens, complete with a specialty prix-fixe dinner menu by James Beard Award-winning chef Sherry Yard and signature Red Carpet Fizz cocktails by mixologist extraordinaire Adam Seger.
- The biggest night in Hollywood is almost upon us. On Sunday, late night star Jimmy Kimmel will take the stage to host the 89th Annual Academy Awards. Movie fans will watch as dozens of celebrities and filmmakers walk away with a coveted Oscar on ABC’s telecast but before that time, check out these 10 fun facts about the 2017 show.
'Moonlight,' 'Hidden Figures' Star Janelle Monáe Celebrates Los Angeles Confidential's Spring Oscars IssueCîroc Vodka partnered with Los Angeles Confidential Wednesday to roll out the red carpet for award-winning actress and singer/songwriter Janelle Monáe in LA at Palihouse West Hollywood.
- Samsung won’t be maintaining as large of a presence at Mobile World Congress this year, but it doesn’t mean the company won’t have major announcements at the annual industry conference. Here’s what to expect from Samsung at MWC 2017:
How To Watch Samsung’s MWC 2017 Press Conference Live
When:Feb. 26 at 1: p.m. EST
- The biggest night in entertainment is finally here with the 89th annual Academy Awards. The stars of this year’s movies and previous award-winning films will be on hand at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, California, Sunday night.
‘Nashville’ Season 5 Stars Charles Esten, Lennon And Maisy Pen Heartfelt Notes To Connie Britton [SPOILERS]“Nashville” fans aren’t the only ones affected by the show’s latest death. (Spoiler Alert: Stop reading if you have not watched Season 5, episode 9 yet.) Rayna Jaymes was killed off after Connie Britton decided to leave the CMT drama. Rayna died with her family surrounding her, and those actors have since posted heartfelt notes to social media about Britton’s influence on them.
- New Orleans is in full celebration mode — it's Mardi Gras season. The official celebration doesn't happen until Tuesday, but the partying and parades have been going on for quite some time now.
If you're in the area and looking to take part in a parade, here's a good site to reference. Unfortunately, not everyone can get down to New Orleans for the fun. But don't fret: As always, there's a live stream to remedy that.
- CBC's Marketplace rounds up the past week in consumer news.
LG G6 Specs, Features Review: Waterproof, Glass-Covered Samsung Galaxy S8 Rival Not At All Bezel-LessLG finally took the wraps off the G6 flagship phone at the start of this year’s Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain. The South Korean electronics company proudly showcased the modular G5’s successor, and it is, as expected, nowhere similar to its predecessor. LG decided to take the familiar and somehow boring path of the chocolate bar design of smartphones.
- The Pentagon has changed all Defense Department references to the Islamic State group from the acronym "ISIL" adopted under former President Barack Obama to the commonly used "ISIS." The change reflects President Donald Trump's long-time insistence that the militant group be called ISIS, not ISIL, according to media reports Friday.
- One of the biggest nights in film is finally here and it is time grab a comfy seat, sit back and enjoy the 2017 Oscars.
With award season coming to a close, you won’t want to miss a night full of surprises and memorable moments. Here are some things you need to know before tuning into the annual ABC program.
When Are The 2017 Oscars?
The 89th annual Academy Awards are scheduled to take place on Sunday, Feb. 26, at 8:30 p.m. EST at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood, California.
Who Is Hosting?
Russia-US Relations: Republican Rep. Darrell Issa Asks Special Prosecutor To Investigate Trump-Putin LinksA prominent Republican Congressman, Rep. Darrell Issa, R-California, said Friday that a special prosecutor should be appointed to investigate the alleged Russian hacking of the U.S. elections and also whether any of President Donald Trump's campaign associates had contacts with Russian officials.
- Sen. Bernie Sanders mocked President Donald Trump's tweet Saturday that urged people to have their own rally, which would be the "biggest of them all." The Vermont senator remarked, "They did. It wasn't," along with photos from Trump's Inauguration Day.
In his tweet, Sanders also posted pictures of the National Mall in Washington, D.C., on Trump's Inauguration Day to photos from the D.C. Women's March that took place the next day.
- The BlackBerry KEYone, the company’s first device made in partnership with Chinese company TCL Corporation, was announced Saturday at the Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona. It is the company’s second Android phone — the previous one being the BlackBerry Priv.
Both phones seem like different benchmarks for the company — the Priv was the company’s first Android device, while the KEYone is the first one with a customizable keyboard.
- Johnny Cash, whose birthday is Sunday, played a big role in shaping music throughout the 20th century. Remembered as a country musician, Cash also dabbled in genres that ranged from blues to gospel to rock, selling more than 90 million records during his career.
Although Cash died in September 2003 from complications from diabetes, his legacy carries on through music and lyrics. Here are 10 quotes by the musician to remember on his birthday:
Will Meghan Markle Marry Prince Harry? 'Suits' Actress Returns To Toronto After Romantic Break In EuropeMeghan Markle and Prince Harry are again living apart from each other as the "Suits" actress returned to Toronto to film for her show after spending time with the British royal in Europe. Markle and Prince Harry's relationship has been moving fast with the American actress meeting royal members, including Prince William and Kate Middleton, but is yet to be introduced to Queen Elizabeth II.
- Phone leaker Evan Blass posted a tweet Saturday showcasing renders of four different phones. The phones are expected to be launched Monday at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
- Just days after ending its military drill, Iran launched naval drills Sunday at the Gulf and the Indian Ocean junction, a naval commander told Reuters. The event comes amid escalating tensions between the U.S. and Iran as President Donald Trump vowed to get tough with Tehran.
- It’s not often that the moon and sun cross paths during the Earth’s orbit, but on Sunday skywatchers from the Pacific to the Atlantic were set to get an eyeful of a solar event during the Ring of Fire eclipse. During the annual eclipse, a sliver of the sun was scheduled to be visible around the moon, creating what Space.com called a "penny-on-nickel effect."
Witches Cast Spell On Trump: Christian Conservatives Fear 'Spiritual War' As American Witches Hope To Remove PresidentA new form of protest against President Donald Trump took shape midnight Friday when witches around the country gathered to cast a spell to remove him from office. Christian conservatives are outraged and accused the witches of "declaring spiritual war," according to New York Post.
- To be the very best, a “Pokémon GO” player should always come to the augmented reality world of pocket monsters prepared. This is perhaps the lesson Trainers learned with the arrival of the Gen 2 Update late last week.
- The Samsung Galaxy S8, one of the most anticipated devices of 2017, created a buzz that's getting louder as we inch closer to its expected launch in April. The most recent leaks regarding the device are a screenshot of its specs and one of its sign-up pages.
- Critics claim the boycott of Ivanka Trump’s products is a slap in the face for feminism. But because she stands by her father and his divisive policies, many boycotters say Ivanka Trump is no champion of the women's movement.
- Nokia is expected to make its global comeback Sunday after an almost three-year hiatus at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2017 in Barcelona. The company enters a very different smartphone market than the one it left in 2014.
Windows Phone devices such as the ones from Nokia’s Lumia brand have faded from the limelight, while the two giants, Apple and Samsung, battle with each other offering new features on their operating systems.
‘Pokémon GO’ Performance Update: Android v0.57.3, iOS v1.27.3 Rolling Out Soon Amid Gen 2 Update Complaints“Pokémon GO” is getting a new update soon. The team behind Niantic Labs’ famous augmented reality mobile gaming app just announced the news on social media. The update is expected to fix several performance issues Trainers found since installing the Gen 2 Update.
- With a Mobile World Congress lineup that looks to lack a high-profile release from regulars like Samsung, LG plans to make the most of its opportunity. The manufacturer will drop news about its newest flagship smartphone at MWC and this is what you can expect from LG at MWC 2017.
How To Watch LG’s MWC 2017 Press Conference
When:Feb. 26 at 6 a.m. EST
- Seventy HMV locations set to close will operate as Sunrise Records, as the Toronto company takes on the music store leases.
- Fans of BlackBerry's classic physical keyboard will have reason to celebrate when the last product designed in part by the former smartphone leader becomes available in April.
- By Yazann Romahi via Iris.xyz With the global economy warming up, but political uncertainty remaining a constant, it’s more important than ever for investors to position their global portfolios to navigate long-term market volatility. That’s where the power of diversification comes in, says Yazann Romahi, Chief Investment Officer of Quantitative Beta Strategies at J.P. Morgan Asset Management…
- By Frank Homes via Iris.xyz Last Monday, I had the opportunity to attend a conference at Goldman Sachs’ Dallas office. Among the dozens of money managers and investors who attended, a combined $1 trillion in assets was represented. The speakers were numerous, from famed economist Jan Hatzius, Goldman’s head of global economics, to Jeff Currie, global head…
- By Dan Soldhelm via Iris.xyz When a boutique firm’s primary business is the institutional or high net-worth marketplace, some executives would rather manage portfolios than manage the product line of mutual funds. “We pay for investment research over mutual fund industry research,” said one CEO and portfolio manager of a boutique asset manager with just a…
- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc. said fourth-quarter net earnings rose nearly 15%, boosted in part by the stock market's end-of-year gains.
- Berkshire Hathaway Inc Chairman Warren Buffett on Saturday ramped up his criticism of Wall Street, saying investors should "stick with low-cost index funds."
- By Rick Kahler via Iris.xyz Do you think the world is getting better, or worse, or neither? Based on a recent survey by Max Roser of the University of Oxford, you probably said “worse.” That was the answer from about 95% of the survey respondents, who were from Sweden, Germany, and the US. To be fair,…
- By Mary Beth Storjohann via Iris.xyz When you start dating, you usually start off sharing stories. Tales of your childhood, your previous relationships and your college days. Those stories help explain to your partner who you are and how you act. Sharing those stories is a vulnerable process and can either deepen the bond or widen…
- Newfoundland and Labrador is shedding jobs as it deals with an unprecedented debt and a sluggish economy. But it's a crisis the government should have seen coming.
- Once a cash cow, the Royal Canadian Mint is struggling to make money. Internal documents and other reports show the mint is facing strong headwinds as sales of collector coins tank, revenues diminish and profits fall.
- Ottawa-based Giant Tiger has 200 stores across Canada, and intends to open another 10 to 15 every year for the next three years at least. It's not the only discount retailer that sees opportunity, as the weak Canadian economy encourages shoppers to focus on bargains.
- U.S. President Donald Trump's planned economic agenda has fanned the flames forWall Street's record-setting run, but some investors worry that his first major address to Congress next week risks dousing it if his plans look slow to execute or are overly vague.
- Canadians who opt for chicken sandwiches while dining at fast food restaurants may find a Marketplace analysis of what they contain a little hard to swallow.
- In his nearly hour-long speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference on Friday morning, U.S. President Trump talked about a lot of things — the media, Obamacare, trade and crime. But he also ventured into pipelines.
- As more money managers help expand the exchange traded fund universe, investors are now able to capitalize on established management team’s research capabilities and investment styles. For example, the Fidelity Low Volatility Factor ETF (NYSEArca: FDLO), Fidelity Momentum Factor ETF (NYSEArca: FDMO), Fidelity Quality Factor ETF (NYSEArca: FQAL), Fidelity Value Factor ETF (NYSEArca: FVAL) and…
- Many may be wary of overseas risks, but more are looking toward global assets to diversify away form an extended bull run at home. Through an active international exchange traded fund strategy, investors can also limit risks while gaining exposure to the growth potential of foreign economies. ETF Trends publisher Tom Lydon spoke with Nick…
- Canadian auto parts giant Magna International Inc. cited the rise of protectionist trade measures in the Trump era as a key risk to the auto industry as it reported its latest quarterly results.
Follow @Business_Newsl on Twitter!