One of the big stories of this past weekend is undoubtedly the fire in Oakland at the ‘Ghost Ship,’ which at this time has left 36 dead and many more feared to be deceased. In the wake of the tragedy, news and information about the owner of the property, Derick Ion Almena, has continued to flood out. Beginning with an incredibly insensitive post on social media, Almena has been criticized for being a negligent parent, unfit property owner, and a known drug user.
According to car
- An anonymous source has provided Your EDM with official contracts between John James Borger (Borgeous) and Spinnin’ Records that provide proof of payments to Niles Hollowell-Dhar (KSHMR) for production on at least two of Borgeous’ songs. The source has also provided an official Recording Agreement between Borgeous and Deep Dish Inc, a company of which KSHMR is the president, as well as an amendment to the agreement that allows Borgeous to sign with Spinnin&rs
- A year has come and gone since Ben Klock was crowned as 2015’s Essential Mix of the Year. Now, BBC Radio 1 has compiled their list of contenders for 2016’s prestigious award, and the competition is fierce.
Each of the five mixes are a unique take on variations of house, zesting their own batch of flavouring into the two-hour showcase. Take your pick of the silky tempo of Âme X Dixon, the throwback leanings of Leon Vynehall, the celestial tranquility of Recon
- Bassnectar’s two-day New Year’s Eve celebration has just received the ultimate pre and post parties to sandwich the event. A massive collaboration between SOMA Entertainment, Sweet Science Radio, C4 Productions, Zen Awakening Festival, and Pass The Good Entertainment, these organizers have enlisted some of bass music’s most esteemed artists for the Warped Pre-Party and Horizon After-Party.
Powered by PK Sound provided by Dream Boy Audio, names
- Arizona-based house head Bijou has been growing rapidly in the last year. From teaming with the likes of Dr Fresch and Dirty Doses to playing Phoenix’s massive spring fest Phoenix Lights and LA’s own Space Yacht, this budding artist has been proving time and again his insane talent both behind the decks and in the studio.
Just off his highly praised single “Codeine Dreams,” Bijou returns with his latest hit “Guru.” A blend of house and dark tech vibes, all pul
- UPDATE: A representative from Firefly tells us that “the information from these artist polls and the other polls are not just for 2017, but to guide future years’ lineups as well. To be candid, there’s no hidden message in SHM being part of the voting process. We just wanted them part of the survey to gauge fan’s interest in them.”
Earlier today, we wrote about how Firefly Music Festival is going to be the first 100% fan-curated festival, and how incredible tha
- Earlier today, we wrote about how Firefly Music Festival is going to be the first 100% fan-curated festival, and how incredible that experience will be for fans. Since the surveys about the festival are open to the general public, and not just those with tickets, we decided to try it out.
At present, there are three categories open for voting: talent, experience, and camping. Within talent, there are options that break down artists between genres; obviously, we chose to check out ‘Electron
- The month of December is here, Christmas and New Years is right around the corner, and we want to give our readers their presents early this year… in the form of a MASSIVE ticket giveaway for our midwest friends. As always we have teamed up with React Presents to give you a total of 12 different chances to win some tickets for shows all over Chicago and even one in Detroit this time!
It’s easy to enter, just check out the list below and enter any of the giveaways you are interested
- Swahili for ‘gifts,’ Zawadi is the title of Kimyan Law’s breathtaking new release, and marks the welcome of a new era for the 22-year-old producer. This sophomore album chronicles Kimyan Law’s range of experiences as a Congolese exile, including everything from racism to displacement due to civil war, and with such impeccable attention to detail and unexpected beauty, Law’s finished product has left me near-speechless.
- Jauz and the Mad Decent don Diplo have finally collaborated on a remix together, and it’s on fellow friend MØ’s track “Final Song.”
Rather than dubstep, trap, twerk, hip hop or anything else you think either of the two producers might make, this remix is wholly unexpected, featuring an almost tropical house rhythm. It makes healthy use of steel drums and pitched vocals to create howling effects, giving the track an eerie, melancholy feeling.
Surely this track
- Love him or hate him, there’s nobody quite like Steve Aoki. Although he’s best known for his cake throwing antics on stage, Aoki has had a remarkable run as both a performer and tastemaker over the past 20 years. Having produced massive singles and a Grammy nominated album, Aoki has the resume to back it up. This past Tuesday he revived his legendary Dim Mak Tuesdays to celebrate his 39th birthday and the 20th anniversary of Dim Mak. And what a party it was.
Taking place at Echoplex
- It all sort of started with EDC calling its attendees “headliners,” but the concept of “the customer is always right” has been around for decades. Unfortunately, that concept has taken a long time to permeate through music festivals, but finally Firefly is taking that mantra to the umpteenth degree in 2017.
Next year, Firefly will become the first completely fan-curated music festival. This means that fans will have a say in the artists, in the art installations, in
- We know KANDY for his sickeningly sweet remixes and originals, though often they can contain quite a crunch. This latest release is smoother than taffy and as sweet as a caramel apple, remixing “All We Know” by The Chainsmokers & Phoebe Ryan.
The original is already pretty damn poppy, but KANDY definitely smoothed out the edges and added his own little flairs to the project to make it really his own. Phoebe’s vocals are still in full view, giving it that sugary coating that
- We’ve got a chronic case of the Mondays; the weekend flew by far too quickly and the temperature just keeps on dropping. Fortunately for all of us, there’s no shortage of hot beats around to keep the chilliness outside. Case in point: ‘Pnoid’, the brand spankin’ new track from freshly formed duo, Guccimen.
The project is a collaborative endeavor from the minds of Space Jesus and Freddy Todd, which is a simply stellar pairing. While they each have their own
- It’s been at least a year since Oliver first teased their forthcoming debut album on Twitter, and fans have been on the edge of their seats ever since. Finally, this weekend, Oliver broke the silence and announced that the album will be out next year, 2017.
“It has been a labor of love for the last year and change and we want it to sound as good as possible. Your patience is appreciated, and so is your impatience, it’s that kind of passion that drives us to continue to make mus
- If you’re like me, then you were pretty bummed when BARE went from releasing tracks like “Lobotomy” to releasing “Bangla” on Spinnin’. It’s definitely been a rough couple years for bass fans, but BARE is really getting back into the swing of things with “War Pigs.”
Having already released “Pitch Black” earlier this year, BARE’s latest track is a huge monster that harkens back to the days of warped, distorted bass synths and
- “Setting Fires” is just the latest in a long string of hit songs from The Chainsmokers, but it’s quickly become one of our favorites. This is in no small part to the vocal performance from brother-sister duo XYLØ. As the song continues to rack up plays on Spotify, currently sitting at a cool 30 million, XYLØ has shared this haunting acoustic performance of the hit song.
Without the future bass and synth flourishes, we’re treated to a raw and emotio
- The BBC Music Awards are back again next Monday. This year, there will be some huge acts taking the stage and some even bigger nominations. One of the nominations we’re most excited about is Calvin Harris, up for Artist Of The Year. He has some tough competition, however, going against Adele, the late David Bowie, Coldplay, and Jess Glynne.
The awards show will take place on December 12th at ExCel London where the best of the best from the past year will be showcased. There are o
- Transforming tracks with remixes is not an easy task. I’ve said this before it’s worth repeating, especially when talking about this VALENTINE remix of BASECAMP‘s “In Stone.” The original tune is cooled down, laid back, with very ethereal environments. Valentine takes all those feelings and emotions and pushes them to their limits, creating a high energy, grunge-y electronic track. I was really excited after hearing this track for the first time as I feel
- Since yesterday when the death toll in Oakland was raised from 9 to 24, it has once again risen to 36. “We have located and recovered 36 victims,” said Alameda County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Deputy Tya Modste. “Of the 36, 11 have been positively identified and their family members have been appropriately identified,” she said.
Recovery and discovery efforts were halted late Sunday night as investigators were believed to have found the portion of the build
- In 2012, EDC expanded to New York for the first time. Throughout the years, EDC New York has faced its own share of difficulties as it continued to give headliners the most exquisite experience they could muster. Unfortunately, according to a since-deleted Facebook post from Pasquale Rotella, co-founder and CEO of Insomniac Events, EDC New York will not be going down in 2017.
The statement read, “Although EDC New York 2016 was one of my favorites hosted in the Big Apple, we’ve decide
- Some of my favorite tracks over the past two years have been released via ODESZA’s very own Foreign Family collective/label. From Jai Wolf to Big Wild to Chet Porter to RÜFÜS DU SOL and it’s now safe to say that Golden Features has now been added to this growing list.
While I’m not sure whether these two singles come together as a coherent, though short, body of work, either way both “Wolfie&r
- It is with a heavy heart that we report the death of VJ Jonathan Bernbaum in the Oakland warehouse that claimed the lives of over 30 others on Friday night. Bernbaum worked as the visual artist for Knife Party, Markus Schulz and many more in the EDM community, heralded by those he met as a truly talented and passionate contributor.
Earlier today, Bernbaum was included in a list of about 35 still-missing individuals related to the Oakland fire. Tonight, however, it was confirmed that he was found
- In the wake of the steadily rising death count following a fire inside an Oakland warehouse party, the man who was running the space has taken to Facebook in an unsuspected fashion.
Derick Ion, an alleged participant in the building’s operation, ignored the dangers of the establishment and the lives that were lost because of it in his post. Rather, he focused on the incident’s effect on his own sense of “self worth.”
“Confirmed. Everything I worked so hard
- During Galantis‘ San Jose stop on their California College tour on November 16, the Swedish duo premiered a brand new single called “Pillow Fight” to a crowd of screaming fans. The track features a yet to be named male vocalist (possibly Matthew Koma?), and a piano melody worthy of any festival main stage.
With an ethereal, vocal-centered introduction, the song quickly builds towards a highly euphoric peak of energy, where a simple but catchy melody carries above thunderous kic
- From the moment I heard his Monstercat debut, I knew that Puppet wasn’t going to be your typical run-of-the-mill electro house producer. Though the Vermont native had a rich history with electro (listen to his single “BRAT” as Art Thieves here), “Scribble” made it evident that this new project would be much more geared toward an alt-rock sound, evidenced by the punk vocals provided by EDEN (who was then known as The Eden Project).
Fast-forward to Pupp
Smirnoff Sound Collective Aims to Tackle Dance Music's Diversity Problem, Launches Program With Live StreamBy Kat Bein
- Australia’s Subsonic Music Festival, which featured artists like Seth Troxler and Machinedrum recently concluded its three-day festivities, which saw 40 people arrested for various drug-related offenses.
Offenders were identified with the help of police canines as possessing various drugs such as cannabis, ecstasy, LSD, ketamine, and amphetamines. Charged offenders are expected to appear in local court in January 2017 for sentencing.
Police were “disappo
- This past Friday, deadmau5 released his sixth album W:/2016ALBUM/, which was also his first album released independently through his record label mau5trap. He’s kept himself busy posting a few updates and criticism on his Twitter account since releasing the album, including teasing a new compilation album, bashing his previous record label Ultra Records and giving his fans a new address for fan mail.
Despite just releasing a new album, deadmau5 announced his p
- While the debate on drug regulation reform continues in the US and Australia, authorities in the city of Preston, Lancashire in England are taking a progressive approach to the problem by allowing the city’s clubgoers to test their pills in special walk-in booths on Friday and Saturday nights.
These booths will allow the clubgoers to test the purity of their pills before consumption in a process that will take about 30 minutes. While the initiative is run by charity the Loop, the project h
- According to new video evidence found by SPIN, it appears that Alex Jones, one of the leading voices of the conspiracy theory community, might be some sort of secret acid house DJ in his spare time. Hear us out.
A Youtube video uploaded to Alex Jones’ official channel about a week ago about voter fraud and Black Lives Matter mysteriously opens with a shot of a large mixer, a Roland TR-808 drum machine, and what seems to be several TB-303 bass line synthesizers. Meanwhile, as Jones spe
- The Chainsmokers and Halsey‘s hit single “Closer” has just tied Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines” for the most amount of weeks held at the No. 1 pop radio song spot. During its tenth week at the top, the track was played about 16,984 times, according to the Mediabase pop radio airplay chart.
Even though the No. 1 weeks were not all held consecutively, their total has caught up with Thicke’s 2013 hit as the longest-reigning pop song since the Media
- The Swedish duo's first release had major label support.
- The death toll resulting from the Oakland warehouse party fire on Friday night has risen to 24 since officials’ last report, with the number expected to climb even further as their search of the wreckage continues.
Even though crews worked through the night to clear the debris, Alameda County Sheriff’s Sgt. Ray Kelly said that they’ve only been able to search about 20 percent of the “Ghost Ship” building’s remains. The search for bodies is expected t
- By Joe Madden
- By Jacqui Swift
- By Michaelangelo Matos
- Deadmau5 doesn’t like his new album. Sure, he thinks it’s a rushed, slapped-together job that’s laughable, but he also just bought his freedom from a long-time deal with Virgin EMI in favor of working with Kobalt to have total creative control over mau5trap, and subsequently every facet of his brand and music.
While the new LP isn’t polished to deadmau5′ liking, legions of fans are loving it, and W:/2016ALBUM/ is certainly another brick in the legacy
- OWSLA has been gradually adding to an expansive playlist on Spotify, dubbed the “Weekender.” With a description that states the playlist is “a weekly selection to get you prepared for the function,” the Weekender playlist currently spans 252 songs, all of which represent the diversity of OWSLA’s artists and tracks.
This week, the playlist grew even more thanks to the addition of a notable list of choice releases. The new additions to the playlist this
- Your ultimate emo-dance-gaming wet dream just came true. In honor of Steve Aoki’s remix of My Chemical Romance for the 10 year anniversary of The Black Parade, Steve Aoki and Gerard Way streamed a session of Overwatch to play with fans and throw a charity fundraiser.
The winner earned a $10,000 donation to the charity of their choice, but I’m not about to spoil the ending. Watch the video for some choice commentary from Gerard on The Black Parade and hear Aoki talk about his int
- Yesterday we featured the annual mashup remix from Earworm, who famously takes each year’s most famous songs and blends them all together into something perhaps more palatable, perhaps more terrifyingly addictive. Not long before that, we featured a new mashup from Kap Slap, which featured gnash, The Chainsmokers, Justin Bieber and Odesza that we absolutely fell in love with. It seems that mashups are regaining popularity, at least somewhat, and we aren’t complaining.
- What a year it’s been for the Dutch wunderkind Martin Garrix. After sealing his position as the number one DJ in the world and creating a hit record with Bebe Rexha, it would seem that Garrix is indestructible. In a recent interview with ‘Radio and Music’ in Dubai, Garrix opened up about his creative process, his inspiration, and his future in the music industry.
The interview was conducted over email, making Garrix’s responses relatively short, but they provide
- Fridays are huge days for music releases and it can often become impossible to keep track of everything that’s come out. Fortunately, as bloggers, we receive a lot of notices for when tracks come out and we like to keep track of that information.
Though we try to share as much as possible of all the music on Friday, some of it does tend to slip through our fingers. That’s what this post is for – over 25 artists released over 50 new tracks, including albums from Deadmau5 an
- This week we spoke with drum & bass duo The Vanguard Project, who have just released their latest EP ‘Vol.3’ on Spearhead Records. They fill us in on how the collaboration began, and how they would like to see it develop.
What initially prompted the collaboration between you both?
We met when I went over for a meeting with Villem, McLeod & Riya about the Riya album. As Villem only lives about 30 mins away from me, we decided that we should try and work on a track together. Af
- Last week, we wrote that Eric Prydz had agreed to throw a semi-private show for a very special fan, James Lillo, who was diagnosed with Stage 4 terminal cancer in January. Somehow, James’ story made it to Eric and his team, and a plan was made to fly James out to LA on January 1 to see Prydz in show.
Unfortunately, this week, James passed away. Not wanting to squander the memory of a devoted fan, Prydz has decided to continue with an incredibly intimate show at Sound Nightclub in Los
- By Russ Mitchell, Peter H. King, Tracey Lien and Paige St. John
- Major Lazer, Nicki Minaj, and PARTYNEXTDOOR are preparing to drop their new collaboration. Sure the hype is starting month early, but January 6th is going to be here before we know it, and judging by tweets, the track’s dancehall flavor will be a welcome spice in the heart of winter.
News of the collaborative track came at the American Music Awards earlier this year, and though we’ve not yet been given a track title, Diplo is promising over nine candle emojis worth of flame
- Following Tiesto, marshmello is the next artist to take on the smash hit
- Whether you love it, or hate it like deadmau5 himself, W:/2016ALBUM/ has finally been released to the public. After a live-stream premiere of his new album and stage production, mau5′ eighth studio album is now available on vinyl, digital, streaming, and virtually any other medium you could wish for, barring cassettes.
To mark the occassion, deadmau5, real name is Joel Zimmerman, reluctantly agreed to an interview with NME to discuss everything from the beaten topic of Twitt
- Listen to the new single from the Aussie producers here!