Boro man apologises
Vitalfootball: Middlesbrough: 23/04/2017 23:41:00
Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing apologised to those supporters who travelled to AFC Bournemouth on Saturday.
- Celtic close to 'historic season' - Rodgers
Vitalfootball: Celtic: 23/04/2017 23:31:01
Manager Brendan Rodgers says Celtic are on the verge of a 'historic season' after beating rivals Rangers in their Scottish Cup semi-final.
- • Kanté sees off competition from team-mate Eden Hazard to take award
• Spurs midfielder Dele Alli wins young player prize for second year runningThe Chelsea midfielder N’Golo Kanté has been voted the Professional Footballers’ Association player of the year for the 2016-17 season. The Frenchman is on course to win a second successive Premier League title after also being part of the Leicester side which upset the odds last season.He saw off competition from hi
- NUFC Media Partner Links Midfielder Again
Vitalfootball: Newcastle: 23/04/2017 22:16:01
Tom Cairney continues to be linked with us.
- Britton was part of the Swansea team who avoided relegation out of the Football League in 2003 and he is ensuring the current players know the club’s storyIf there is any player who knows what it takes to fight for survival at Swansea City, it is their club captain, Leon Britton. Swansea were 90 minutes away from dropping out of the Football League in May 2003 but they beat Hull City to avoid relegation. Britton, who was just 20 at the time, played in the Swans team that won 4-2 in a game
- • Kane: ‘We want to finish strong in the league’
• Spurs face Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on WednesdayHarry Kane believes Tottenham Hotspur have shown Chelsea that the title race is far from over after pushing the Premier League leaders hard in their FA Cup semi-final.Tottenham left Wembley licking their wounds after losing 4-2 to Antonio Conte’s side and one school of thought is that they suffered significant psychological damage at the hands of their London riva
- Eden Hazard and co have a softer edge than their predecessors but proved against Tottenham that they can stand firm despite losing the likes of John TerryTold all week that this game would define the title race, the moment when the balance of power would swing Tottenham Hotspur’s way, a less durable team than Chelsea might have responded to Dele Alli’s splendid equaliser shortly after half-time by crumbling. On another day, it would have been in the script. Tottenham, brilliant and r
- The very last kick of the clásico could not have been more perfectly executed nor more dramatically delivered, Lionel Messi guiding the ball inside the post to take his team top. It was the 500th goal of his career and few have been more significant. Just when it seemed all was lost, there may be life in La Liga; there is life in Barcelona too. With five games to go they are leaders on their head-to-head record and, although Real Madrid have a game in hand and Zinedine Zidane rightly says
- Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger hails the mental strength of his players after his side came from behind to beat Manchester City in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley on Sunday. He also says he is pleased for the club’s fans after a turbulent few months. City boss Pep Guardiola meanwhile is left to rue what might have beenArsène Wenger hails Arsenal’s mental strength after reaching FA Cup finalContinue reading...
- When City’s owners acquired one of the world’s elite coaches, they will have envisaged an era of domination – not a scramble to finish in the top fourIn a gripping, weirdly unpolished contest, traces of the residual class City’s veteran campaigners possess were not enough to uplift a malformed team. Yaya Touré, Vincent Kompany and Sergio Agüero tried to lead the way but did not quite have the verve to do so, nor did they have the support that they should have
- Six wins in 20 games tells its own story, but even those damning numbers hide constipated play and an uncertainty in tactics and selectionPerth Glory and Brisbane Roar progressed from contrasting elimination finals to move within one game of the A-League championship decider, but it was Melbourne City’s abject capitulation against the former that grew into the story of the weekend. Uncertain in possession, apathetic without the ball, the home side looked overawed by the occasion at AAMI Pa
- Alexis Sánchez made up for an otherwise quiet performance with Arsenal’s extra-time winner, but Jesús Navas and Gaël Clichy were poor for City at full-backGK Petr Cech 6/10 Saved crucially from Touré but should he have been out to Agüero a little more quickly when the striker seemed to overrun the ball? Continue reading...
- • Allardyce: ‘I give the players huge amount of credit for the way they defended’
• Jürgen Klopp calls Benteke ‘an outstanding striker’ after Liverpool’s 2-1 defeatSam Allardyce claimed Liverpool could not cope with a Crystal Palace game plan that “exposed their weaknesses time and time again” as Christian Benteke returned to haunt his former club at Anfield.Benteke, who left Liverpool for Palace in a £32m deal last summer, scored tw
- Leeds Loan Watch - Defender Most Booked Player In Serie A
Vitalfootball: Leeds Utd: 23/04/2017 19:45:00
Leeds United have eight players out on loan at the moment and Vital Leeds is once again look at how the players are doing on their travels
- The manager gets his tactics right and the players rediscover their fighting spirit to see off Manchester City at Wembley to secure a place in the FA Cup finalJust for a moment, unfettered by the constricting context of this turbulent season and the grisly dance around the topic of that contract, the sun broke through. Arsène Wenger stood in his technical area and the body language all around him was positive. Gabriel Paulista – a player apparently reborn during the course of the ma
- Rate The Players: Swansea City 2-0 Stoke City
Vitalfootball: Swansea: 23/04/2017 19:24:00
Rate the players' performances in the 2-0 home win against Stoke City
- LUFC Burton Albion v Leeds United Highlights
Vitalfootball: Leeds Utd: 23/04/2017 19:19:01
Highlights from the clash between Burton Albion and Leeds United on Saturday
- The Last Stand. Or is it?
Vitalfootball: Charlton: 23/04/2017 19:17:00
It was a turbulent season
- Updates from the La Liga clash at the BernabéuFeel free to email Jacob or tweet @JacobSteinberg8.12pm BST26 min: Ronaldo leads a two-on-two charge against the Barcelona defence. He plays it to Benzema, but the forward lacks conviction and Busquets chases back to dispossess him. 8.10pm BST24 min: Marcelo’s ball inside from the left runs all the way to Ronaldo, who swivels before shooting high and wide. He could have found Bale to his right. Continue reading...
- • Wenger: ‘I am very proud for the players. They showed a united response’
• Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola vows ‘next season we will be strong’Arsène Wenger praised Arsenal’s players for banishing doubts about their mental strength by coming from behind to beat Manchester City at Wembley and set up an FA Cup final showdown with Chelsea.Things looked ominous for Wenger’s men when Sergio Agüero fired City into the lead midway throug
- The Kop gave Christian Benteke a round of applause when he exited the fray in the 88th minute at Anfield. Sporting in the extreme. The Crystal Palace forward left his former club bruised and battered on his return to Liverpool, scoring twice in a merited win for Sam Allardyce’s side, and may have had the same impact on Jürgen Klopp’s Champions League aspirations.“You must be sick of us,” the Palace fans chanted after Benteke’s double took the Eagles closer to P
- Live scores: all the goals from around the UK and Europe
The latest Premier League table can be seen here 7.47pm BSTReport: Related: Christian Benteke shocks Liverpool to lift Crystal Palace’s hopes6.24pm BSTAnd that’s it. A great win for a very organised Palace against a very disorganised Liverpool, whose hold on the top four looks a lot more shaky now. It’s a testament to the quality of Liverpool’s ineptitude in defence that Palace set up for a draw and came away with a
- Vital View - Scottish Cup, 22nd-23rd April 2017
Vitalfootball: Rangers: 23/04/2017 17:27:01
Aberdeen beat holders Hibernian to book a Hampden Park final against Celtic, chasing the treble, after they beat Old Firm rivals Rangers.
- Norwich Rebound BackVitalfootball: Norwich: 23/04/2017 17:00:00
Lewis Nicholson dissects the impressive win over Brighton on Friday night
- It has not been an easy season for Arsène Wenger, by any measure, but it will at least have the possibility of a happy ending and, once again, he can look his critics in the eye and ask if they will join him for the FA Cup final. It will be the eighth in his 20 years at Arsenal and it is probably worth remembering, amid all the criticism that comes his way, he has won six of the previous seven. Or, putting it another way, that his personal total is the same number Sunderland, Leeds, West
- Arsenal will play Chelsea in the FA Cup final thanks to Nacho Monreal’s equaliser and Alexis Sanchez’s extra-time winner 5.49pm BSTReport from Wembley: Related: Alexis Sánchez gives Arsenal extra edge to sink Manchester City in semi5.38pm BSTIt’s Arsenal’s day. A rare joyous moment for Arsene Wenger in the context of this season and a win that might just give him the encouragement he needs to sign that new contract. They’re into the FA Cup final, where they&r
- Manchester Futsal3York City Futsal 1
Vitalfootball: York: 23/04/2017 16:32:00
York City Futsal experienced a first defeat of the season with a 3-1 loss to Super League North runners-up Manchester in the FA Futsal Cup first round.
- Manchester United enter Thursday’s 174th derby with Manchester City knowing victory at the Etihad Stadium will leapfrog them over Pep Guardiola’s side into fourth place following this convincing win.Yet José Mourinho suggested winning the Europa League, another route into the Champions League, is preferable. “If we beat Celta we go to the final and yes it is important to us to play in the Champions League but this club wants trophies. We have 25 per cent chance to win th
- A professional performance from United puts them a point behind Manchester City, whom the meet on Thursday night, while Burnley, though nearly safe, are still not safe yet 4.50pm BST Related: Manchester United’s Anthony Martial and Wayne Rooney sink Burnley4.16pm BSTSo, bye - thanks all for your company and comments, sorry I couldn’t use them all. You can now join Jacob Steinberg for what’s left of Arsenal-Manchester City: Related: Arsenal v Manchester City: FA Cup semi-final &
- Updates as the two Premier League sides bid to join Chelsea in the finalLive scores: all the goals from around the UK and EuropeEmail email@example.com. Tweet @JacobSteinberg3.45pm BST44 min: De Bruyne handles on the left. Arsenal win a free-kick. They’re getting a lot of set-pieces. Perhaps Wenger’s learnt something from his recent defeats to Sam Allardyce and Tony Pulis. 3.43pm BST41 min: On the touchline, Guardiola is full of grievances. It’s difficult not to s
- Updates from the 2.15pm BST kick-off at Turf Moor Live scores: all the goals from around the UK and EuropeEmail Daniel here and send him a tweet @DanielHarris3.44pm BST70 min It’s Lingard who departs - I’d wondered if it’s be Rooney as he’s come back from injury, but also to give what might be Thursday’s front three a run together. But Lingard, whose played a fair bit lately, is rested.3.43pm BST69 min And again - Ward raps in a low cross, turned away by Bailly. He&
- Mamadou Sakho: ‘they cannot replace what they took from me’Email firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @tom_lutzLive scores: all the goals from around the UK and Europe 3.38pm BSTLiverpool: Mignolet, Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Milner, Wijnaldum, Lucas, Can, Firmino, Origi, Coutinho. Subs: Karius, Gomez, Grujic, Moreno, Woodburn, Alexander-Arnold, Brewster. Crystal Palace: Hennessey, Ward, Tomkins, Kelly, Schlupp, Cabaye, Milivojevic, Townsend, Puncheon, Zaha, Christian Benteke. Subs: Speroni,
- Gabriel Agbonlahor has come to resemble something of a relic at Villa Park in recent times, a vague reminder of better times when he and Aston Villa shared exhilarating aspirations towards the top end of the Premier League and international recognition. On Sunday, recharged by the incentive of attempting to help relegate Birmingham City, the club’s highest Premier League scorer rolled back the years to claim his first goal in more than a year to win a frenetic derby.Harry Redknapp, charged
- Rarely has the gulf between these clubs looked so stark. Callum McGregor had put Celtic ahead after 11 minutes and Scott Sinclair doubled the lead early in the second half. With half an hour of this semi-final to play, the only danger to the champions lay in their own minds. Only complacency could have denied Brendan Rodgers a victory over Rangers that, for long spells, was so blissfully straightforward.Only Aberdeen and the Scottish Cup final now lie between Rodgers and a domestic treble in his
- Callum McGregor and a Scott Sinclair penalty sent Celtic through to the Scottish Cup final in an Old Firm derby that they dominated throughout against a lacklustre RangersMatch report: Celtic 2-0 Rangers 1.55pm BSTCeltic were on another level there. It would have been interesting to see if Rangers could have maintained their improvement immediately after half-time had Sinclair’s penalty, which effectively shut the game down, not happened – and Rangers rallied with a few decent effort
- Substitute Gabby Agbonlahor scored the only goal as Aston Villa beat Birmingham City 1-0 in Harry Redknapp’s first game as Blues managerMatch report: Aston Villa 1-0 Birmingham City 1.55pm BSTAnd with that, we bid you farewell. Pete Lansley will have a match report for you in short order. Cheers! Related: Harry Redknapp’s Birmingham undone by Aston Villa’s Gabriel Agbonlahor1.55pm BSTLovely work by Agbonlahor to come on, start a fight, get booked and then score his first goal i
- Burnley v Manchester United - Team Sheets
Vitalfootball: Burnley: 23/04/2017 13:22:00
Burnley are at Turf Moor with Manchester United the visitors for the latest Premier League game.
- All hail Luke Williams and Lee Power
Vitalfootball: Oxford: 23/04/2017 12:36:01
Swindon slip down in the shadows of Oxford
- Colchester 0 - 0 Argyle Match Highlights
Vitalfootball: Plymouth: 23/04/2017 12:27:00
The match highlights of Argyle's battling 0-0 draw away to Colchester United at the Community Stadium on Saturday.
- RUFC - Ward, Yates, Frecklington And Vaulks Get Awards
Vitalfootball: Rotherham: 23/04/2017 12:06:00
Rotherham United had their Awards Evening last night
- City youngsters win final game
Vitalfootball: York: 23/04/2017 12:04:00
York City's Under-18s wrapped up their league campaign with a single-goal victory at Doncaster Rovers on Saturday.
- Perth Glory beat Melbourne City 2-0 at AAMI ParkGlory to play Sydney FC next Saturday for place in championship deciderDiego Castro embarrassed Melbourne City in their elimination final and sent Perth Glory into the final four of the A-League for the first time in five years.
The Spanish wizard scored a dazzling opener and set up the second in a 2-0 dismissal of City that stunned the 9,944 crowd at AAMI Park on Sunday night.Continue reading...
- Guardian photographer Christopher Thomond is documenting one game from each round of the 2016-17 FA Cup, and in the quarter-final he was back at the Riverside for the clash between Middlesbrough and Manchester CityCheck out Chris’ FA Cup Road To Wembley project so far Continue reading...
- Also featuring: Kelvin MacKenzie, a sleeper train, and the envy of all small clubsHarry Redknapp – managing three games for free (“I told Birmingham I don’t want nothing, I’m not interested in the money”) – asked about his “nice” £250,000 survival bonus: “It’s not that nice, not that nice. It wasn’t a money deal for me.”Continue reading...
- Rovers Beaten At Wycombe
Vitalfootball: Doncaster: 23/04/2017 08:30:01
Doncaster Rovers lost for the second game in a row as they went down to a 2-1 defeat at Wycombe Wanderers.Luke O`Nien scored twice for the hosts in the first half as Doncaster made it back-to-
- LUFC Leeds United Fan View v Burton Albion
Vitalfootball: Leeds Utd: 23/04/2017 09:02:01
I made the trip to Burton Albion on Saturday to watch Leeds slip to another defeat.
- DRFC Ferguson - We Were Nowhere Near Good Enough
Vitalfootball: Doncaster: 23/04/2017 08:30:01
Doncaster Rovers boss Darren Ferguson didn`t hide his frustration after seeing his side beaten at Wycombe Wanderers
- Burnley v Man United - Follow Live On Twitter
Vitalfootball: Burnley: 23/04/2017 09:00:01
Burnley are at Turf Moor with Manchester United the visitors today, this will be a 2:15pm kick-off.
- AC Milan v Empoli - Follow Live On Twitter
Vitalfootball: AC Milan: 23/04/2017 09:00:00
AC Milan are at San Siro with Empoli the visitors today, this will be a 2pm kick-off.
- Spurs fans delight in skills of Harry Kane and Dele Alli but have their dreams shattered again by Antonio Conte’s streetwise ChelseaThe script for Tottenham Hotspur at what must be referred to as the new Wembley stadium has taken on a standard feel. They arrive with great expectations and leave with their dreams in tatters.They had defeated Chelsea in the 2008 League Cup final but, before this visit, it was eight appearances and a single win – and that was the largely meaningless one
Follow @news_soccer_uk on Twitter!