- It was finals day in Sheffield as the fifth annual BUCS Nationals came to an end in the Steel City.
- This workout was designed for a group of male high school-aged rowers, and was created by strength coach Matrixx Ferreira, CSCS, of Iron Athletics Canada. The workout can be done by athletes from junior to senior ages, so long as the rowers have a grasp of the fundamentals of basic lifting.As always when hitting the weight room the focus should be on developing sport-specific strength, and this means that there is a focus on quality over quantity. This is particularly important as you don’
- Loughborough student Montez Blair loves his new life on the Olympic Parkand is dreaming of competing in the London Olympic Stadium come thissummer.
- Medals aplenty were handed out across nine sports on Saturday as day two of BUCS Nationals 2017 got underway in Sheffield.
- The fifth annual BUCS Nationals kicked off in grand style on Friday asHer Royal Highness the Princess Royal visited Sheffield to herald thestart of three action-packed days of sport.
- Despite the wet and cold conditions, both teams adopted an attacking,positive approach for this #BUCSSuperRugby encounter. Cardiff Met showedsome good touches but it was their visitors, Durham University, whoended the game deserved winners.
Match Report from Cardiff Met RFC
- Goldsmiths runner Reuben Arthur is eyeing up his first taste of BUCSNationals as a breakthrough competition, safe in the knowledge that heis tantalising close to being among the world’s best.
- THE nation’s largest annual multi-sport event got underway in Sheffieldon Friday with a royal visit from Her Royal Highness the Princess Royalto BUCS Nationals.
- What land exercises can I do to improve slide control, so that I have more control going to the catch position?Great question – and fantastic that you what to self-tutor on this. Getting into the habit of working out how to make theseKittens die if you rush the slide.changes yourself is a really great skill.Several solutions for you to practice on the land and some which will transfer into the boat as well.First, understand what the rowing stroke should be like – Read expert co
- Loughborough University rugby captain Andrew Boyce admitted it was agut-wrenching feeling watching Hartpury College become the inauguralBUCS Super Rugby league champions after defeat in their final outing.
- HARTPURY captain Sebastian Negri hailed victory overLoughborough University as the best day of his rugby career as his sidebecame the inaugural BUCS Super Rugby league champions.
MATCH REPORT: Hartpury claim inaugural BUCS Super Rugby League title in 17 – 12 win over LoughboroughIn what was an unplanned, fairy-tale finale to the final round of thefirst season of BUCS Super Rugby, table toppers Hartpury encounted the second placed Loughborough outfit, edging out the visitors at home to win 17 – 12. Thewin, seeing Hartpury become the first team to etch their name on theBUCS Super Rugby League Champions trophy.
Match report from Hartpury RFC.
- This University Sport Volunteering and Coaching Guide has been created by BUCS and sports coach UK with the aim of encouraging more students within universities to get into sport volunteering and coaching.
- The mud has flown around the internet as the US Rowing board resigned, got reinstated, they fired their High performance Director and complaints and demeanours were aired in public.Whatever governance issues US Rowing has (and we hope they get sorted out), there is a bigger more visible problem. The US Rowing mens team won NO MEDALS at the Rio Olympics. This is a serious low-point.US rowing men Olympic medalsThe book is written by Carlos Zezza – who has no axe to grind except t
- Like many people, I read the Boys in the Box report. However nobody is going to change the US system in the way the author recommends – we aren’t set up to create Olympians in school – we’ve established to provide kids fun in sport. For example, many clubs use river rowing – you can’t have kids in singles swept over the dam…. it’s fine for summer programs but not appropriate for most.US Rowing Rio Mens 8US rowing is so d
- It’s that time of the year again – the moment when over 6,000 students descend on the city of Sheffield for BUCS Nationals.
- University of Sheffield's Lisa Brocklesby is targeting a karate win at BUCS Nationals, despite the small matter of a broken nose hampering her run up to the competition.
- Indoor racing may pose a fresh challenge for Luton athlete Rebecca Murray, but that hasn’t stopped her from setting her sights on the gold medal at next week’s BUCS Nationals.
- More than 6000 competitors will take part in the BUCS Nationals in Sheffield this weekend with judo one of nine sports being contested across the Steel City.
- Sheffield Hallam University climber Billy Ridal insists he is not prepared to let glory escape his grasp as he looks to defend his title at BUCS Nationals in Sheffield next week.
- I have a number of questions please :- 1. Difference between RP3, RP3S and Rowperfect Indoor Sculler. 2. UK price. 3. Where we can try it. 4. Comparisons with Oartec Slider and Concept Dynamic.AnswersRP3 is an earlier model of RP3S and was phased out in 2012. Indoor Sculler is independently made in Australia. The two brands parted company just before Cas Rekers, the inventor died.UK RP3 price on website shopYou can try RP3 at home using our demonstration 2 week demo c
- More than 6000 competitors will take part in the BUCS Nationals in Sheffield this weekend with badminton one of nine sports being contested across the Steel City.
- The Strength Coach Roundtable hosted a monster of a podcast about performance psych for rowing as we went nearly 90 minutes straight and all felt like we still had more to talk about. Will, Blake, and Joe were joined by guest Sara Hendershot for a discussion of performance psychology in rowing and how you can use mental skills in your training. Think about it this way–if you had to put a number on what percent of rowing is mental, what would it be? Now, do you spend anywhere close to
- Bad coxing starts with poor coaching. Improved coxing comes from an understanding of the best way to instruct. Few coaches have been coxswains and so take a quick educational guide from a Coxswain, Chelsea Dommert, who found that she was frustrated by the un-clear instructions she got from her coach. So she wrote the book on Coaching the Coxswain.A guide for rowing coaches As a rowing coach, you’re supposed to focus most of your time on your rowers. That’s norm
- A Team GBR delegation of 63 student-athletes and 31 members of support staff travelled to Almaty, Kazakhstan to compete at the 2017 Winter Universiade and returned with a gold medal in men’s curling!
- Northumbria University still have a lot to do on the training pitch, despite a 27–10 victory over Leeds Beckett.Match report from Team Northumbria
- Swimming is one of the biggest individual sports within BUCS, and with a whole host of Olympians having competed at BUCS Nationals; it continues to be the launch pad for the latest crop of swimming stars.
- A guest post from Troy Howell Queens of Turd Mountain n.b. the phrase is not mine. I first heard it from Wes Ng at his 2016 Joy of Sculling presentation, and whether or not it’s original with him, I thank him for introducing it to my lexicon and for giving me something to think about over the past few weeks and to write about this morning.
Too many coaches take it as a given that intra-squad competition is always and inevitably a good thing. Like many oversimpli
- After their loss at the Sports Training Village at the start of theBUCS Super Rugby season, Loughborough were out to seek revenge againstthe University of Bath.Match report from Loughborough Rugby
- Coaching “The Catch” a guest post by HowardtheCoachIf you Google the term “catch” you find “intercept and hold (something which has been thrown, propelled, or dropped”) and in rowing “the catch” is precisely about intercepting and holding the moving interface between the boat and the water. It is a simple term for a subtly complex concept, certainly a concept both coaches and rowers can find difficult.Let’s start with the basics.&nb
- RowingChat today was with Guin Batten a pioneer leading new racing formats for beach rowing, coastal rowing and an energetic ambassador for the sport.She has taken on many new challenges such as rowing in the Maldives, winning the Coastal Rowing world championships and inventing beach rowing for the World Beach Games since winning a silver medal with the Great Britain Rowing team for the Athens Olympics.We have collated timestamps for the key points we covered during the inte
- Hartpury continued their march towards the BUCS Super Rugby title with a bonus point win over visitors Cardiff Met.
Match report from Hartpury RFC
- Exeter were dealt their first league defeat at home in 3 years after a second half come back from Durham, to also end their 9 game winning steak in BUCS Super Rugby.
Match Report from Exeter Student Sport
- A prototype of the new rowing bike www.roadrower.com was recently featured on the BBC Bristol news and got more than half a million facebook views in 10 days!!The Roadrower was invented by a former world champion oarsman; it mirrors the rowing action and is a fantastic land-based training machine. It was recently tested by the Oxford University Blues crew with really positive feed-back. Sean Bowden their coach who also had a go, said:“I really enjoyed myself. It’s an amazing ma
- It’s Head Racing Season – all you need to knowWinter is marching past and spring will shortly be happening in the rowing world this means we are focused on head racing. The UK pinnacle events are the Tideway Heads (mens, womens, schools and veterans). and these are WORTH WINNING.What does it take to win a head race?Apart from hard training and skilful, combined rowing force curves, your crew needs some extra things to work well actually on the day.New rowing book – Winning Head
- Phil Simmons, 2004In the next episode of RowingChat, we welcome Phil Simmons, previous Olympic rower and now head of rowing at Kingston Grammar School.Join RowingChat with Phil SimmonsPhil Simmons has a long involvement in rowing from Junior team representation at the World Championships through to U23 and the Athens Olympics.
Phil Simmons started rowing with Ajax Sea Scouts and has received medals from most of the British rowing events as well as international regattas. He has won medals at Jun
- A guest post by Craig AllelyBecause I was lying under the bow-canvas, I became the first Briton to win an Olympic rowing gold medal since Richard Burnell in 1948 (& the first GB cox since 1912!)The current proposal by FISA to change the Olympic Rowing Events to fit in with the grand plan by the International Olympic Committee is another schizophrenic attempt by FISA to comply with the unreasonable dictates of the parent organization.The current proposal will disadvantage the current advantag
- Rowperfect is sponsoring the Womens Eights Head Small Club pennant for the 2017 race, donating a Coxmate Audio as a prize for the winning crew.Coxmate Audio Coxmate audio side view We really enjoy supporting British clubs and so have pulled together some additional education resources for you ahead of the race. For Coxes – download our guide to steering the Tideway – written by Boat Race coxswain, Martin Haycock, it is the clearest information you will find (apar
- As we near the end of the inaugural BUCS Super Rugby season, if you're akeen and budding sports analyst, you will have worked out that the racefor the BUCS Super Rugby title has become an interesting three teamrace.
- GBR men’s curling beat Sweden in the 2017 Winter Universiade final in Almaty, Kazakhstan to win GBR’s first medal of the 2017 edition of the multi-sport competition.
- Team GBR athletes have been competing at the 2017 Winter Universiade in Almaty, Kazakhstan since 28 January, with many athletes smashing their personal bests and teams reaching the latter stages of the competition as they test themselves against the best snow sports students in the world.
- Next week, the Strength Coach Roundtable returns to Rowing Chat to discuss the psychology of performance for rowing. We will be joined by Sara Lombardi Hendershot, recent Rowing Chat guest, former Olympic rower, and current coach/trainer/founder at Rowfficient, to hear from an actual elite athlete’s experiences as well as how she works with her clients on their mental game now at Rowfficient.We’ll be live on Rowing Chat Youtube channel Sunday, February 12th at 7pm EST (Feb 13 12:00AM
- Crossing the Line Sport Summit 2017Under 3 weeks to go!Our Sydney Summit is our second athlete-led forum. We are eager to discuss solutions to the hot topic of athlete wellbeing and career transition. The event plan has well and truly taken shape and it’s going to be a day of learning, sharing and inspiration from our panelists.Our panelists include multiple Olympic Champions and Medalists, Olympians, Former Professional Rugby and Football Players,
- Feedback from a customer who just started using the Coxmate GPS software.The software is amazing! In my humble opinion (as a professional marketer) I think you maybe missing a trick here as to how you are selling your products. At the moment you seem to be focusing on the hardware – nobody actually wants to buy hardware. Rowers want to go faster and analysis of stroke efficiency is a huge step in going faster.I think you should be pushing the benefits of the software as a pr
- The hilly Graves Park, Sheffield was the venue for the 2017 BUCS Cross Country Championships (#BUCSXC), at which 1991 students competed across three races on Saturday 4 February.
- I am about to launch a new rowing boat and we are trying to decide what colours to make available as options.
So I thought I’d ask you Rowperfect readers, as nothing has yet been set in stone.
White will always be a no cost option. But then we intend to offer a few standard colours for a reasonable price and this is where you come in. What colour would you like to have a new boat made in?The deck will be white and a contrasting hull colour looks very smart.We know that many customers opt f
- By Marlene RoyleJust as pushing your bow across the line for the first time in the 50+ age category signifies entering a mature phase of your rowing career it may also mark new adventures in maintaining equilibrium in your training schedule.
Masters athletes need to include the same intensities of work in their race preparation as their younger counterparts. However, the difference for masters is how and when workouts are planned in the weekly schedule to adjust for potentially longer recovery a
- Hartpury College missed out on the chance to extend their advantage at the top of BUCS Super Rugby table after a dramatic defeat against Loughborough.
Chris Heal, for Talking Rugby Union
- Hi, I am a beginner and struggle to find any club that will have me. I am in one disabled group but we are not competitive at all, which means there is little motivation. And another is still considering if I can stay and not pose a ‘risk’ of accidents.Where can I find information to advance my rowing online?Para RowingThis has been a great challenge because we have found nowhere online which helps and aggregates information for para rowing. [It doesn’t help that the
- Just wondering if you have any advice for setting up a J16 junior girls 8+ rigging and oar length? I would say 4 of them are lightweight size and 4 heavyweight? ThanksThanks for your question – we have a quick answer and a longer one.The quick answer is to copy what a known expert (Valery Kleshnev) recommends – here’s a link to his rigging chart which allows you to input their details and then spits out a traditional and an innovative recommended rig. I guessed they
Follow @UKRowingNews on Twitter!