- The Football Association has charged Sunderland boss David Moyes with misconduct over his behaviour in Wednesday's 1-0 EFL Cup fourth-round.
- Even the weather has turned against David Moyes as he attempts to pull Sunderland out of free-fall..
- Attempted burglary, drug driving, drink driving and failing to stop after an accident were among the offences people were sentenced for Nick Burdon, 31, of Holly Avenue, New Silksworth pleaded guilty to driving without insurance in Houghton-le-Spring on April 15. He was fined 200, ordered to pay a 30 surcharge and to pay costs of 85. He was also disqualified from driving for seven days.
- Students from Sunderland visited the city's new bridge to deliver their own works of art to the project team. A group of young people from Barbara Priestman Academy designed and then created four paintings of bridges, which are to be displayed around the perimeter fence of the construction site in Pallion.
- David Moyes admitted he deserved to be sent to the stands after Sunderland tumbled out of the EFL Cup at Southampton..
Serial conman fleeced vulnerable 90-year-old out of thousands of pounds while he was in respite careA serial fraudster has been locked-up for fleecing a 90-year-old man out of more than 4,000 while he was in respite care. Conman Wayne Fada had been a trusted friend of the pensioner for more than 10 years, seeing him two or three times a week and helping him with his financial affairs.
- The Boundary Commission is recommending the changes to the two South Tyneside constituencies as part of a review which aims to reduce the number of MPs in the North East from 29 to 25. The commission is proposing that Simonside and Rekendyke, which is currently in Emma Lewell-Buck's South Shields constituemcy, should be moved into Jarrow along with three council wards in the Washington and Sunderland West constituency. The commission is also suggesting that two council wards from Jarrow MP Steph
- Manitoulin's own Ivan Wheale is the November artist at Artists on Elgin in Sudbury with the show 'Lake Huron Stillness,' an exploration of Lake Huron in 10 oil paintings, from November 1 to 29. "The title of the exhibition, 'Lake Huron Stillness,' represents the peace and solitude of Northern Ontario's unique landscapes, specifically Lake Huron," a press release from Artists on Elgin states. "Featuring wild landscapes, lakes, shorelines, rocks and driftwood, Mr. Wheale's high realism captures th
- Days before costumed creatures, full of festive spirit, take over the streets we have put together a list of places to remember the region's ghost stories. Originally built as a church in the 1800s and spread across two floors, the building was used as hospital throughout the First Word War.
- Teenage singer-songwriter Eve Simpson claims her greatest achievement to date is reaching the height of 5ft 2½ins, but this is set to change with the release of her debut EP. The 17-year-old musician from South Shields will launch Shelter on November 25 with a special gig at Tynemouth Surf Cafe where she will perform alongside friends who have been instrumental in making the record.
- On Monday, February 29, a window of an empty house was shot at in Edgmond Court in the Hollycarrside area of Sunderland and four men have today been charged with conspiring to possess a firearm. The four men are Ellis Dobbing, 23 of Ashdale Court in Sunderland, Jevan Doyle, 22, of Fordenbridge Road in Sunderland, John Bailey, 32, of Fordfield Road in Sunderland, Steven Palmer, 32 of Neville Road, in South Denton.
- Residents in Sunderland and South Tyneside are being given help to keep their wheelie bins safe from the hands of thieves and vandals. The advice forms part of the Darker Nights campaign - an annual initiative that sees community safety partners across Sunderland and South Tyneside join forces to keep communities safe during darker nights.
Bournemouth vs Sunderland ticket and travel information for the Black Cats trip to Dean Court - ChronicleLiveSun FM
Bournemouth vs Sunderland ticket and travel information for the Black Cats trip to Dean Court
Sunderland have released the next phase or tickets for their Premier League clash with Bournemouth next month. The Black Cats head to the south coast to take on Eddie Howe's side on Saturday, November 5, and tickets are now on sale to supporters with ...
Rowell Report: Sunderland players must give our top fans something to get behindSunderland Echo
Sunderland may start with an
- Mayor launches annual Poppy Appeal in Sunderland
British Legion Poppy Appeal volunteers Jade Murphy and Jake Pattison pictured with the Mayor of Sunderland, Coun Alan Emerson, buying the symbolic 'first Poppy' on behalf of the people on Sunderland, to help launch this year's fundraising appeal.and more »
- Sunderland AFC
Remembrance set to be marked early by Sunderland AFC
Sunderland AFC will show its support for armed forces charities at the Stadium of Light on Saturday. Hundreds of serving military personnel, veterans' groups and families of soldiers who have lost their lives in the service of their country will attend ...
Sunderland set to welcome veterans for Arsenal clash in remembrance celebrationsChronicleLiveall 2 news articles »
- Northumbria Police appealed for help several days ago to find Paul Smith, 38, who was wanted for breaching his bail conditions. Officers said he has now been arrested and added: "Thank you to everyone who shared our messages and assisted in our enquiries to locate him."
- Paul Smith from Sunderland was wanted by police after being bailed from Newcastle Crown Court where he was charged with aggravated burglary Paul Smith, from Hedworth Terrace in Sunderland, appeared at Newcastle Crown Court on Friday, October 14, charged with aggravated burglary and was released on conditional bail.
Sunderland's Premier League rivals Watford subject to English Football League investigation - Sunderland EchoSunderland's Premier League rivals Watford subject to English Football League investigation
Watford are under investigation from the English Football League following allegations they supplied false financial documents to the governing body. The allegations, reported in the Daily Telegraph on Monday, centre on Gino Pozzo's sole takeover of ...and more »
- Sunderland AFC
Sunderland to honour stars of Rio 2016 Olympics
Paralympian Matt Wylie is along the heroes of Rio 2016 who will be introduced to the crowd at half-time of the Sunderland v Arsenal game. Gary Welford. Email. 10:02 Tuesday 25 October 2016. 0. Have your say. Sunderland AFC will honour the stars of Rio ...
Sunderland AFC will honour Olympic heroes at their clash with Arsenal this weekendChronicleLiveall 3 news articles »
- David Moyes is hoping an extended EFL Cup run can revive Sunderland's Premier League fortunesjust as it did three seasons ago..
Sunderland Tories welcome claims Nissan will produce next Qashqai model on Wearside - Sunderland EchoSunderland Tories welcome claims Nissan will produce next Qashqai model on Wearside
Conservatives in Sunderland are optimistic that Nissan will produce the next model of its Qashqai SUV on Wearside, dismissing speculation around the car manufacturer's future post-Brexit. The Conservative group on Sunderland City Council also said it ...
- Pupils from Jarrow and Sunderland will be part of a delegation meeting Pope Francis in Rome to deliver the Codex Amiatinus copy A bible created by pupils from 140 North East schools will be presented to Pope Francis at the Vatican on Wednesday. The work is a young people's version of the Codex Amiatinus, which was produced by monks at the twin monastery of Wearmouth-Jarrow.
- Lee Clark thanks Sunderland fans then admits he should never have signed for them
Lee Clark has admitted that signing for Sunderland was a mistake - but has thanked supporters on Wearside after their appreciation during his two seasons at the Stadium of Light. Clark left the Black Cats after an unsavoury incident when pictured ...and more »
- Breeze Creatives in collaboration with Sunderland BID will be showcasing three events in the Athenaeum Building on Fawcett Street, Sunderland. As joint-winners of Sunderland's 10x10, the events will act as taster events, keeping the vibrancy of Sunderland city alive into the evening.
- The Guardian (blog)
David Moyes is struggling at Sunderland but Lawrie McMenemy was even worse
The Guardian (blog)
Jimmy Tarbuck once joked that The Titanic and McMenemy had one thing in common: neither should have left Southampton. After two years of terrible results and falling attendances at Sunderland, McMenemy probably agreed. By Steven Pye for That 1980s ...
Richard Mennear's analysis: Bleak times for Sunderland after agonising last-gasp defeat to West Ham United - Sunderland EchoSunderland Echo
Richard Mennear's analysis: Bleak times for Sunderland after agonising last-gasp defeat to West Ham United
Jordan Pickford berates his defenders after Sunderland succumbed to a late defeat at West Ham. Picture by Frank Reid. Richard Mennear. Email. 12:00. 0. Have your say. Jordan Pickford let out a huge sigh as he walked from the dressing rooms of the ...
West Ham 1 Sunderland 0: Winston Reid leaves it late to beat basement boysTelegraph.co.uk
West Ham sink
- Jack Rodwell has started 32 Premier League games since his arrival at Sunderland in a £10million switch from Manchester City.
- Jack Rodwell has challenged his Sunderland team-mates to drag the team out of trouble after admitting they have gone backwards..
- David Moyes was convinced West Ham's stoppage-time winner which floored Sunderland should not have stood..
- Others, however, aren't so complimentary when their sleep is disturbed as they noisily fly over their rooftops in formation. For motorists using the A690 between Sunderland and Durham and people in Houghton-le-Spring, the Raintons and villages west of Durham, greylag geese are a common sight - and sound - at this time of year.
- The Children's Codex, produced by pupils from schools in Sunderland and Jarrow, has arrived in Rome and will be presented to Pope Francis at the Vatican on Wednesday by a delegation, representing all 140 schools involved. Bede Porter sets off with the Codex on the first stage of its journey - to the other side of the River Wear.
David Moyes reassured Sunderland is not for sale and asks for money to spend in January - Telegraph.co.ukTelegraph.co.uk
David Moyes reassured Sunderland is not for sale and asks for money to spend in January
David Moyes, the Sunderland manager, has been given no indication that owner Ellis Short is trying to sell the club as he prepares for crunch talks over the size of his January transfer budget. Moyes has made it clear in his conversations with chief ...
David Moyes hoping transfer window can help bring Sunderland salvationThe Guardian
David Moyes admits Sunderland have gone ba
Two Sunderland players' dip in form this season epitomises club's struggles so far
Sunderland will be hoping to get more from Lamine Kone at West Ham and beyond, after the Ivorian defender's poor start to the season. Kone returns from injury for the trip to the capital and will be likely to go straight back into the side. It should ...and more »
- A woman working illegally as a carer and a thief stealing nearly A 3,000 from the Royal British Legion appeared in the court Alex Johnston, 23, of Saint Gabriel Avenue, Hebburn , was found guilty in absence of being drunk and disorderly at Jarrow Metro Station on September 23. He was fined 220 and ordered to pay 85 costs and a 30 victim surcharge. Carol Bailey, 61, of Tunstal Avenue, South Shields , pleaded guilty to persistently using a public electronics network for the purpose of annoyance, i
West Ham vs Sunderland team selector: Who would you start, with Kone and Van Aanholt both available - ChronicleLiveChronicleLive
West Ham vs Sunderland team selector: Who would you start, with Kone and Van Aanholt both available
Sunderland travel to West Ham boosted by the news that defenders Lamine Kone and Patrick van Aanholt are fit - how would you start the game? Share; Comments. Get Sunderland AFC news by email. West Ham v Sunderland preview Video loading.
West Ham vs Sunderland: Teams, kick-off time, probable line-ups, odds and stats for the Premier League clashDaily Mail
- BBC News
West Ham United v Sunderland
West Ham's record signing Andre Ayew has an outside chance of returning from the thigh injury he suffered on the opening day of the season. Aaron Cresswell is suspended, while Arthur Masuaku, Sam Byram, Gokhan Tore, Andy Carroll and Diafra Sakho all ...
West Ham United v Sunderland: match previewThe Guardian
West Ham v Sunderland: Bilic issues warning to Hammers over 'absurd' finishing of Jermain DefoeSunderland Echo
David Moyes insists he can
- New data published by Public Health England shows how many fast food outlets, including burger bars, kebab and chip shops, are in each local authority - and also shows a ward-by-ward breakdown.
- The Guardian (blog)
North-east going south? Sunderland and Middlesbrough in Premier League peril
The Guardian (blog)
David Moyes' side are bottom of the league and Aitor Karanka's Boro have lost four of their last five, so what needs to change? Sunderland's Wahbi Khazri (left) and Middlesbrough's Spanish striker Alvaro Negredo. Sunderland's Wahbi Khazri, left, and ...and more »
- BBC News
Nissan to make Sunderland Qashqai decision 'next month'
Car giant Nissan says it will make a decision next month on whether to produce the next Qashqai SUV at its Sunderland plant following Britain's vote to leave the European Union. The firm has recently suggested investment in the factory could cease if ...
Brexit latest: Nissan to make Sunderland plant investment decision ...The Independent
Brexit job loss fears for Nissan's Sunderland plant could become a realityChronicleL
- David Moyes has insisted he is big enough to handle the pressure of implementing a long-term plan at Sunderland in.
- Lee Graham, 42, was sentenced to 23 weeks in prison after stealing from a DIY store with girlfriend Michelle McLean, 35. McLean, who also has a number of previous convictions on her record, was given eight weeks' custody, suspended for a year. Sunderland magistrates heard the couple had travelled to the city from their home in Peterlee, on September 23, equipped with foil-lined bags.
- Defenders Lamine Kone and Patrick van Aanholt are fit for Sunderland's Premier League trip to West Ham as manager David Moyes' injury problems ease..
- The mother of Little Mix star Jade Thirlwall has spoken of her pride after the young singer opened her heart on her devastating battle with anorexia. The 23-year-old from South Shields, who cut her teeth performing in Sunderland, developed the eating disorder when she was just 13. The singer, who missed an appearance on BBC TV's the One Show last night due to a family bereavement, reveals her struggle in Little Mix's new book Our World.
- via Sunderland NewsA refurbishment scheme that has included the fitting of life saving fire sprinklers in a block of flats in Sunderland has been completed.
Housing Association Gentoo Group has installed the sprinklers in D'Arcy Court, Hendon as part of a joint pilot scheme with Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service to improve the safety of its high-rise homes.
The installation was part of a £4m modernisation scheme involving the refurbishment of 104 flats over 13 floors, which began in summer 2014.
West Ham vs Sunderland: Who will referee the Black Cats against ...
This will be Bobby Madley's first game in charge of Sunderland this season, having last taken charge of the Black Cats in February when he oversaw the ...and more »
- Paul Smith, from Hedworth Terrace in Sunderland , appeared at Newcastle Crown Court on Friday, October 14, charged with aggravated burglary and was released on conditional bail. Southern Area Command Chief Inspector at Northumbria Police, Paul Milner, said: "If anyone has information about the whereabouts of Paul Smith, I would urge them to contact police immediately."
- The initiative designed to improve access to arts activities has seen 20,000 people take part and will now move to new council wards An arts project targeted at areas of Sunderland and South Tyneside is to be extended for a further three years after being given a 1m seal of approval. The Cultural Spring, launched in 2014, was to have ended in December but Arts Council England has recognised its positive impact and granted the funding to enable it to carry on.
- People in Sunderland are set to be given more chances to get arty after a popular project was rolled out to five more areas. The Cultural Spring, which aims to increase participation in the arts in Sunderland, has been extended by a further three years.
Sunderland fans react to rumours Sam Allardyce could be in line for a second spell as manager - ChronicleLiveChronicleLive
Sunderland fans react to rumours Sam Allardyce could be in line for a second spell as manager
Rumours generated this morning that Sam Allardyce could possibly make a return to management at Sunderland have provoked quite the reaction on social media. Big Sam famously led Sunderland to survival last season but cut short his time on Wearside ...and more »
- Daily Mail
Sunderland striker Jermain Defoe admits they have 'gone backwards'
Sunderland chief executive Martin Bain says manager David Moyes' job is not in danger despite Jermain Defoe saying the club have 'gone backwards' since his appointment. The Black Cats are rooted to the bottom of the Premier League table with two points ...
Sunderland have 'lost their identity'BBC Sport
David Moyes has been brought to Sunderland for the long term, insist club's chief executiveTelegraph.
Follow @sunderlanduknws on Twitter!