- Sunderland boss David Moyes does not think the club will sign players who can make a big difference in the January window.
- Preview followed by live coverage of Saturday's Premier League game between West Bromwich Albion and Sunderland.
- Preview followed by live coverage of Saturday's Championship game between Newcastle United and Rotherham United.
- Defender David Atkinson leaves League Two side Carlisle United by mutual consent and joins Blyth Spartans.
- Tour operator TUI was not made aware of a security risk prior to the 2015 Tunisia hotel attack, an inquest is told.
- Two men appear in court charged with attempted armed robbery on Wearside.
- Police recorded an 8% rise in all offences in England and Wales as a survey shows figures in cybercrime and fraud.
- The Clydesdale and Yorkshire banking group (CYBG) is closing 79 branches with the loss of 400 jobs.
- DVLA is clamping down on untaxed vehicles in the North East.
- Two P&O ferry workers found guilty of conspiring to smuggle drugs into Britain are each jailed for 16 years.
- More than 2,300 grey seal pups have been born at the country's largest colony since November, the National Trust says.
A19 blocked after crash LIVE: Road closed in North Tyneside after ...
Drivers are stuck in traffic on the A19 north after a mobile crane and car reportedly crashed on the road. The collision happened just before 1pm on Wednesday ...and more »
- Burnley reach the FA Cup fourth round thanks to goals from Sam Vokes and Andre Gray against a dispirited Sunderland.
- The Riu Imperial Marhaba where 30 Britons were killed had just four unarmed guards, an inquest hears.
- Carlisle's Jacob Polley wins the prestigious TS Eliot prize for poetry for his collection Jackself.
- Two former P&O staff are convicted of running a drug smuggling operation onboard a North Sea ferry.
- The family of World War Two veteran killed in a hit-and-run more than two and a half decades ago have made a fresh appeal to help solve the crime.
- Helen Bailey murder accused told police operator she "had wanted space" in 999 call, a court hears.
AIS Training to upskill Kier North Tyneside staff
North Shields-based AIS Training has won a contract with Kier North Tyneside, a partnership between Kier and North Tyneside Council to improve the area's council housing, to upskill employees in scaffolding inspection. Kier North Tyneside will ...
North Tyneside to host its first ever Bar & Restaurant Week with plenty on the menu
For seven days in March, North Tyneside venues will join forces to host the district's first ever Bar & Restaurant Week, celebrating the diverse range of culinary offerings available in the area. So whether you are a cuisine connoisseur looking for the ...
- A man is jailed for nine years after sexually assaulting a four-year-old girl.
- High Street baker Greggs raises its profit guidance after a "strong" Christmas.
Sales up 58% at North Tyneside security firm Securiclad
North Tyneside-based Securiclad, a manufacturer of high security modular panel systems, has reported a 58% sales rise for 2016 after securing a raft of major contracts. The firm said that, due to its modular design, its certified panel systems offer a ...
- Two men are arrested following an attempted armed robbery on Wearside.
- The man accused of murdering author Helen Bailey twice tried to invoke power of attorney while she was missing, in order to sell her flat, a court hears.
- Newcastle Eagles' BBL Cup final success against Glasgow Rocks is a season-tipping point, says player-coach Fab Flournoy.
- Everton treat Sunderland fan Bradley Lowery to a day to remember after the five-year-old captured the imagination of football fans with his cancer fight.
- Newcastle City Council is awarded £11.8m government money to build affordable homes
- A teenager from Newcastle campaigns for cardiopulmonary resuscitation to be taught in schools after her friend dies.
- Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez says the extent of a number of injuries, including that of striker Dwight Gayle, is unclear.
- Beamish Museum in County Durham reports record visitor numbers of nearly 750,000 last year.
- Three goals in 19 first-half minutes put Stoke on the road to victory against Premier League strugglers Sunderland.
- Daryl Murphy's first league goal for Newcastle sends his side top of the Championship in a hard-fought win at Brentford.
- A Durham Wildlife Trust project catches the region's wildlife on camera.
- How would you feel if the person sitting next to you on the bus was watching porn - and what would you do about it?
- North Tyneside Tennis League set to get under way
It starts on Thursday, January 19 and is open to men and women of all standards, aged 18-plus. Players are organised into groups of a similar level and arrange their own matches at a mutually convenient time between the start date and Wednesday, March ...
- A fisherman is rescued by a lifeboat crew after being cut off by huge waves on a pier during the tidal surge.
- A university student accused of rape will not face a retrial after a jury failed to reached a verdict.
- The jury in the trial of Ian Stewart, accused of murdering Helen Bailey, has been shown around the author's home in Hertfordshire.
- A couple and their children return from a day out to find their home trashed by paint-throwing vandals.
- ITV News
Police appeal after robbery in North Tyneside
It happened at a business premises, AZ Moving and Storage Ltd, on West Chirton South Industrial Estate in North Shields on January 11th. A masked man forced entry into the premises from the rear at 6.17am and, it has been reported, threatened a ...
- Author Helen Bailey joked a cesspit was a "good place to hide a body" years before her death, a court hears.
- Former England captain Alan Shearer pays tribute to Graham Taylor who gave the former Southampton, Blackburn and Newcastle forward his Three Lions debut.
- Prison inmates in Durham, London, Manchester and Milton Keynes were caught with a banned terror group's magazine, it is revealed.
- Team news as Grenoble host Newcastle in Friday's Challenge Cup fixture at Stade des Alpes (18:00 GMT).
- A woman who died from cancer aged 25 asked for smear tests but "was told she was too young".
- North East Connected (press release) (subscription)
Magical events heading to South Tyneside
North East Connected (press release) (subscription)
MAGIC lovers are set to be dazzled by some of the world's leading magicians at three special performances during this year's South Tyneside International Magic Festival. By Charley Williams -. January 12, 2017. 0. 9. Share on Facebook · Tweet on ...and more »
Magical events heading to South Tyneside - North East Connected - North East Connected (press release) (subscription)North East Connected (press release) (subscription)
Magical events heading to South Tyneside - North East Connected
North East Connected (press release) (subscription)
MAGIC lovers are set to be dazzled by some of the world's leading magicians at three special performances during this year's South Tyneside International ...and more »
- A teenager in a clown mask brandished an axe at a pregnant woman, a court hears.
- ITV News
Police appeal after schoolgirl hit by car in North Tyneside
Police are appealing for witnesses after a schoolgirl was hit by a car in North Tyneside. Police appeal after schoolgirl hit by car in North Tyneside Credit: Northumbria Police. At around 4pm on January 11th, police received a report that a schoolgirl ...and more »
Follow @North_Tyneside on Twitter!