- A Crystal Palace fan has appeared on a Channel 4 show tonight in which couples get married despite never having met each other before. Named on the show only as Adam, a 32-year-old trainee counsellor from south London, the Eagles fan is seen preparing for his wedding to a woman called Sara. Tonight's episode showed Adam and Sara preparing for the wedding and it appears they are going to be seen tying the knot in next week's episode. A clip from tonight's show featured Adam chatting to friends...
- A man in his 40s died in New Addington today after reportedly collapsing in the street and suffering a cardiac arrest.Emergency services, including police officers and paramedics, rushed to Central Parade at 12.30pm but the man was pronounced dead at the scene.A Met spokesman told the Croydon Advertiser that they were called to reports of a man, believed to be in his 40s, suffering a cardiac arrest.The death is being treated as non-suspicious.READ MORE: 'Multiple people stabbed' in fight outside
- A Purley nursery worker traced the challenging steps of refugees who escaped Nazi-occupied France during World War Two to raise thousands of pounds for charity.David Thomas, from Woodcote Day Nursery, conquered the 'Freedom Trail' in the Pyrenees – a former wartime escape route for servicemen and Jewish refugees who fled to safety.He completed the four-day hike battling snow storms from France to Spain, raising £4,657.30 for Children's Air Ambulance – a vital service to help...
- Have you ever wondered what it is actually like to work in a Wetherspoons? From the regulars who have already had five pints by lunchtime to students strolling in looking for cheap drinks to start their night, the chain attracts a varied clientele.It has now been 37 years since Wetherspoons opened its first pub in North London and there are now six in and around Croydon. The George, on George Street, is in the heart of East Croydon and sees some of the most colourful characters the borough has..
- Croydon's council leader has hit out at the government's 'calamitous' decision to give Heathrow the go-ahead for expansion.After more than a decade of proposals and delays, Heathrow has beaten Gatwick for official government backing for a new runway.Many leading Croydon politicians have been keen to endorse Gatwick as the preferred option due to its close proximity to the borough.The Labour-run council's leader Tony Newman is determined to fight the decision to approve planning permission...
- The government has overlooked Gatwick's bid for a second runway to be built, instead opting to grant Heathrow permission for a third strip. The Airports Commission published a report in July 2015 backing Heathrow for expansion, recommending a third runway be built there instead of a second one at Gatwick. However, the commission did not rule out expansion at Gatwick and the final decision rested with Theresa May and her cabinet. The final decision has been delayed several times, but the...
- An escapologist is staging a daredevil stunt in a Croydon park as he bids to break the world record for the furthest distance run while on fire. Antony Britton will be doused in petrol and set alight as he attempts to run as far as he can through Wandle Park before crew members douse the flames with fire extinguishers. The world record for this type of stunt was first set by photographer and amateur stuntman Keith Malcolm in 2009 in Hampshire.This was broken by American Ted Batchelor...
- A man pleaded for help from Domino's staff after he was stabbed in Purley.It is thought the man, in his 20s, was stabbed in the chest in High Street before staggering up to the pizza takeaway on Russell Hill Road, some 300 metres away, on Monday.Blood was seen on the windows of Domino's, according to witnesses, and staff in the store helped the victim with his injury after quickly calling 999 at about 7.40pm.The man was rushed to a south London hospital in a serious but stable condition. At...
- Expansion of Heathrow Airport has reportedly been given the go-ahead by the government.
- Expansion of Heathrow Airport has reportedly been given the go-ahead by the government.
'Catastrophic': Reaction as Heathrow Airport expansion gets go-ahead with government choosing third runwayExpansion of Heathrow Airport has reportedly been given the go-ahead by the government.
- A group of young people will be hosting a special takeover event this weekend at the Croydon Clocktower to inspire the next generation into arts.The day-long programme of free live music and film will take place this Saturday (October 29) and the event includes performances and interactive workshops for families and young people.
Croydon Youth Arts Collective (CYAC), the day's organisers, aims to inspire positivity by using cultural spaces and showcasing talent.The day will host a...
- A man stabbed in the chest in Purley last night remains in hospital in a serious condition.Witnesses said they saw blood on the windows of Domino's Pizza, in Russell Hill Road, as the shop was cordoned off by emergency services.Police officers were called to the road at 7.38pm to reports of a stabbing and found a man in his 20s with a stab wound to the chest. He was taken to a south London hospital where he remains in a serious but stable condition.A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman was unable to
- Firefighters teamed up with Peppa Pig to come to the rescue of a two-year-old boy whose arm got stuck behind a radiator this morning.A fire crew from Godstone Fire Station was called to the scene in Godstone Road, Whyteleafe, at about 5.30am.They used small tools to take the radiator off the wall and release the boy's arm while keeping him calm with the help of the TV in the background.One of the firefighters who attended told the Croydon Advertiser: "We pulled the radiator off the wall to...
- Police have been called to reports of a man in his 20s being stabbed in the chest in Purley.Witnesses told the Advertiser they could see blood on the windows of Domino's Pizza, in Russell Hill Road, and said the area had been cordoned off by emergency services.A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said officers were called to the road at about 7.38pm to reports of a man being stabbed in the chest. His injuries are not believed to be life threatening. The spokesman added: "We are not sure...
- A 21-year-old who stabbed a father and son during a mass brawl outside a pub in New Addington has been jailed. Abel Kinganga grabbed a knife and slashed at Brian Woolacott outside the Man on the Moon pub in Headley Drive in the early hours of September 4, leaving him with three cuts to the arm and one to his shoulder. Mr Woolacott's son also had three of his fingers slashed open as he tried to block the knife blows towards his father. At Croydon Crown Court today Kinganga, of Streatham...
- The regeneration of Croydon has accelerated in recent years, with the wheels of several ambitious projects now fully in motion.Cranes are dotted against the skyline as more and more new structures are being shaped in Croydon.Now, the Develop Croydon Forum has launched a new survey to gauge what workers like and dislike about the town.The survey is designed to allow employees an input in shaping the future of the town, in terms of a place to work and live. READ MORE: 8 reasons why everyone will..
- A man has been arrested in hospital after a serious stabbing in South Norwood on Friday night. A spokesman for the Met this afternoon confirmed that a man in his 30s had been arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm with intent after he turned up for treatment at a south London hospital. Police and paramedics from London Ambulance Service (LAS) were called to South Norwood Hill shortly after 6.15pm that night to reports that a man had been stabbed.READ NEXT: Man in his forties...
- A Croydon jeweller is set to swap wedding rings for a boxing ring on Saturday in memory of a friend who died of cancer. Fight fan Steve Albone has boxed several times on an amateur level, but will be donning the gloves for his first semi-professional bout on Saturday. He will be taking on Ollie Mathis in his Queensbury Boxing League (QBL) debut at the Effingham Park Hotel in Copthorne. Steve is hoping for victory in the ring, but he is also using the fight to urge people to give generously...
- Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish and manager Alan Pardew have led tributes to an avid Eagles supporter who died on Saturday night after being hit by a train. The 19-year-old has been named by friends on social media as Harry Davies, a young man who once worked at the Caterham Fish Bar and the owner has also added her own moving tribute. On Saturday night police and paramedics rushed to the station in Horley, Surrey at 10.50pm after he was hit by a Thameslink train heading from Brighton...
'Restart' workshops encourage Croydon residents to get switched on about electrical waste - South West LondonerSouth West Londoner
'Restart' workshops encourage Croydon residents to get switched on about electrical waste
South West Londoner
Thrifty Croydon residents will be able to resurrect their broken electrical items at a free 'Restart' workshop this week. The Restart Project has teamed up with Recycle for London to give people the opportunity to save money and reduce the impact of ...
- A boxing coach has paid a moving tribute to Epsom man James Hamilton after his body was found on Box Hill by police searching for him.Mr Hamilton has been described as happy-go-lucky and somebody who "everybody loved". Those who knew the 27-year-old through Like2Box Gym in Redhill are reeling from his sudden death, after police discovered his body at the beauty spot on Friday. It followed an appeal for the public's help to look for him and an intensive search after the Epsom...
Croydon Cat Killer is feared to have claimed several more victims after five pets were found butchered in just seven ... - Daily MailDaily Mail
Croydon Cat Killer is feared to have claimed several more victims after five pets were found butchered in just seven ...
The Croydon Cat Killer is feared to have struck again with five more pets being found butchered to death in just a seven-day period. The infamous killer is suspected to have claimed five more victims after the mutilated cats were found without their ...and more »
- A Warlingham woman who pleaded with police to send out officers after her handbag was stolen with her keys inside is furious after her car was then stolen two and a half hours later.Julie Chapman was followed into a staff area at the back of Samantha James salon in Redhill, where she works, without her knowledge at about 7.15pm last Tuesday.When she left her bag unattended for a few minutes to go into the public area of the salon, it was stolen with her keys inside. While her car was initially..
- A teenager who died after being hit by a train at Horley station was a lifelong Crystal Palace fan. The 19-year-old has been named by friends on social media as Harry Davies, an avid Eagles supporter, who was a former student at Reigate College and the Royal Alexandra and Albert School student school in the town. On Saturday night police and paramedics rushed to the station in Victoria Road at 10.50pm after he was hit by a Thameslink train heading from Brighton to Bedford.Network Rail...
- The much-anticipated opening of Boxpark Croydon is finally here, with the pop-up mall set to open its doors at the end of the week.The centre, which is largely being constructed out of shipping containers on the Ruskin Square site next to East Croydon station, will boast 35 food and drink outlets.Photographer David Cook has captured the outlet in its final stages before its grand opening.Boxpark's founder and chief executive, Roger Wade, has promised the new centre will be like its existing...
- Croydon Advertiser
Kevin Bryan's record reviews
Simple Minds, "Acoustic" (Caroline International)- Simple Minds' name has become synonymous with an unashamedly expansive brand of stadium-rock over the years, so the appearance of this invigorating package marks a fairly radical musical departure for ...
- Croydon Advertiser
Crystal Palace midfielder takes positives despite losing out at Leicester City
The Eagles had more shots that the Foxes and enjoyed more possession in the game, but didn't make their pressure count and were made to pay as Ahmed Musa, Shinji Okazaki and Christian Fuchs scored for Leicester, before Yohan Cabaye's late ...and more »
- Croydon Advertiser
E-fit released by police after house burgled in Caterham
Police are appealing for information after a house in Caterham was burgled, and have released an e-fit image of a suspect. An intruder broke into a house in Stafford Road, between 12pm and 1pm on July 5, and several items were reported stolen after ...
- Police are appealing for information after a house in Caterham was burgled, and have released an e-fit image of a suspect.An intruder broke into a house in Stafford Road, between 12pm and 1pm on July 5, and several items were reported stolen after they left, including electrical items, a laptop and jewellery.Officers received reports of suspicious activity in nearby Milner Road after a man knocked on the occupant's door, asking for directions.PC Mark Thomas from Tandridge Area Policing Team,...
- Part of a terraced house was damaged when fire broke out in Thornton Heath.
- Ten restaurants are hoping to be named the best takeaway in south London.
- The man who led the review of airport capacity has pushed the case for Heathrow’s expansion on the eve of the government’s long-awaited decision.
- Police are appealing for witnesses to a violent mugging in Thornton Heath.
- A fire which broke out in a bedroom at a house in Thornton Heath caused 25 per cent damage to the first floor of the property.The blaze broke out at about 7pm last night (Sunday, October 23) at a terraced house on Manchester Road.Four people were in at the time, although they had evacuated to safety before the arrival of the London Fire Brigade and are not thought to have been injured.Two fire engines from Norbury Fire Station were sent to the scene along with one from Croydon and one from...
Croydon journalist jailed for 15 months – Eastlondonlines
A journalist from Croydon known as the Fake Sheikh was jailed after being found guilty of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice on October 21. 53-year-old ...and more »
South Croydon man Radu Ciurcanu is first in London convicted of riding hoverboard on pavement - Your Local GuardianYour Local Guardian
South Croydon man Radu Ciurcanu is first in London convicted of riding hoverboard on pavement
Your Local Guardian
A South Croydon man has become the first person in London to be convicted of riding a hoverboard on the pavement. Radu Ciurcanu, 38, of Haling Park Road, was stopped by police in London Road at the junction with Station Road in Croydon after nearly ...
- More migrant children, including the first without family ties to the UK, have arrived in Croydon from the "Jungle" camp in Calais. About 70 boys and girls have arrived at the Home Office's immigration screening centre at Lunar House, in the town centre, over the past few days, with the first brought under the 'Dubs Amendment', which allow vulnerable children refuge in the UK. Croydon Council leader Tony Newman told the Advertiser earlier this week that the children would be...
Woman injured after crashing into stray cow in Croydon | Metro News
A woman suffered minor injuries after her car was in collision with a cow.
Cow 'on the loose' after collision with car on Farthing Downs ...Croydon Advertiserall 4 news articles »
- Croydon Advertiser
Cow 'on the loose' after collision with car on Farthing Downs
The front end of this car was completely smashed after in a collision with a cow on Farthing Downs in Old Coulsdon last night. The Met said they were called to the area at about 7pm after a report of a "car versus cow" collision. Thankfully, the female ...
Woman injured after crashing into stray cow in CroydonMetroall 4 news articles »
- The front end of this car was completely smashed after in a collision with a cow on Farthing Downs in Old Coulsdon last night.The Met said they were called to the area at about 7pm after a report of a "car versus cow" collision.Thankfully, the female driver of the Audi only suffered minor injuries, though the front of her car suffered extensive damage.Croydon police said on Twitter that the cow was "still on the loose".READ NEXT: No buses to stop at East Croydon bus station...
House prices in East Croydon are stalling due to Southern Rail's ongoing crisis, research claims - Croydon AdvertiserCroydon Advertiser
House prices in East Croydon are stalling due to Southern Rail's ongoing crisis, research claims
Growth in house prices along Southern Rail's mainline is being halted due to buyers' worries over the crisis-hit rail operator, research has claimed. Research by HouseSimple has claimed that house prices have ground to a halt across the Brighton ...and more »
- Growth in house prices along Southern Rail's mainline is being halted due to buyers' worries over the crisis-hit rail operator, research has claimed.Research by HouseSimple has claimed that house prices have ground to a halt across the Brighton mainline, including around East Croydon, since July.Southern has been embroiled in a long-running industrial dispute with the RMT union over the roles of conductors, with more strikes due to take place in November and December.READ NEXT: No buses to stop.
- Kent Live
'Croydon Cat Killer' suspected after dead cat found in Westerham with tail cut off
The so-called "Croydon Cat Killer" appears to have struck in Kent again after a mutilated cat was found without its tail in Westerham. Dozens of cats that have died in the last year bearing the hallmarks of what is believed to be the same killer and ...
- Police investigating the serious stabbing of a man in South Norwood last night say the victim is no longer in a life-threatening condition.Officers are yet to make any arrests after the attack, which happened in South Norwood Hill at about 6.15pm.The Met said a man in his forties, who was found at the scene with a single stab wound to his chest, was rushed to hospital in a serious condition by London Ambulance Service (LAS).READ NEXT: Police and air ambulance called to stabbing in South Norwood.
No buses to stop at East Croydon bus station for four months as upgrade work gets underway - Croydon AdvertiserCroydon Advertiser
No buses to stop at East Croydon bus station for four months as upgrade work gets underway
No buses to stop at East Croydon bus station for four months as upgrade work... X. Share Tweet Share Pin It Email. Copy link to paste in your message. /. SHARE PICTURE. Copy link to paste in your message. East Croydon bus station will be closed until ...and more »
- Croydon Advertiser
No buses to stop at East Croydon bus station for four months as ...
East Croydon bus station will be closed until March as work to upgrade the interchange gets underway on Halloween. Croydon Council and Transport for ...and more »
- East Croydon bus station will be closed until March as work to upgrade the interchange gets underway on Halloween.Croydon Council and Transport for London (TfL), says the work will bring easier connections for people moving between buses, trains and trams at East Croydon.They have asked residents to "bear with us" while the station is closed from October 31. TfL says bus routes will be temporarily calling at nearby stops until the work is finished.Open PDFBut some services, like the...
- Croydon Advertiser
Police and air ambulance called to stabbing in South Norwood - recap
Police and paramedics have been called to reports of a stabbing in the South Norwood area. The Met Police said multiple units were dealing with the stabbing in ...and more »
- A man has been rushed to hospital in a serious condition after being found stabbed in South Norwood.Officers have set up a police cordon around the area where the incident happened on South Norwood Hill.Emergency services rushed to the scene shortly after 6.15pm where they found the victim suffering from stab-related injuries.Doctors from the London Air Ambulance also attended and treated the man, in his forties, along with paramedics from the London Ambulance Service (LAS).The victim was taken.
Follow @CroydonUK_News on Twitter!