- Expands team in response to sharp increase in demand as LED & controls projects proliferateCambridge, UK - 20th October 2016 - Telensa, the leader in connected street lighting and smart city applications, has appointed David Brown as VP Sales EMEA. David leads a team enhanced to respond to a surge in demand, as cities around the world switch to energy-efficient LED streetlights equipped with smart controls. He joins Telensa from Echelon, the industrial control networking...Source: RealWire
- Traditional trade and risk management software vendors in the commodity and energy trading sectors are taking a battering from a perfect storm of dwindling sales, customer abandonment and better, lower cost solutions. That’s the view from cloud vendor Aspect as it continues to take large enterprise business away from the industry heavyweights that once called the market their own.Aspect’s claim follows a series of missed revenue targets, profit warnings, workforce layoffs, downsized
- New economic analysis shows that wind and solar are likely to be the least-cost way to power the UK over the next decade, as costs for clean wind and solar energy decline and biomass uncertainty growsLONDON (October 17, 2016) – Wind and solar power are likely to be less expensive than burning trees in order to replace coal in the United Kingdom, according to a new study released today by the Natural Resources Defense Council...Source: RealWire
- The cost of operating and maintaining onshore wind farms in Europe is significant. According to the European Wind Energy Association, Operating and Maintenance (O&M) costs account for around 20 percent of the levelized cost of energy (LCOE) for onshore wind farms. As such, any measures that can be taken to reduce this cost directly translate into improved returns for investors.This is not to say that asset owners can scrimp on O&M expenses. Inadequate O&M can lead to minor faults or
The Brussels Green Loan: another incentive encouraging Brussels citizens to energy retrofit their homesBuildings are responsible for 72% of the energy consumed in the area of Brussels-Capital Region. Since 2004, the region has launched a number of incentives, encouraging homeowners to improve energy performance of their dwellings. After an ‘energy grant' and a ‘renovation grant', the region has recently launched a revamped Brussels Green Loan.
What do I do if I am a homeowner or tenant residing in the Brussels Capital region and want to make my home more comfortable and healthier whil
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 7 October 2016: SKF has manufactured and supplied its largest ever spherical roller bearing (bore diameter 1,25 metres) to be used within the mining industry. The bearing was manufactured at SKF’s factory in Gothenburg, Sweden.“SKF is a world leader in spherical roller bearings, manufacturing bearings of all sizes and series – from the smallest, with a 20 mm bore size, to this large size bearing that weighs close to eight tonnes” says Petra Öberg
- Geneva, Switzerland/ Frankfurt, Germany 2016-10-06 – More than 3,500 experts from over 70 countries are due in Frankfurt am Main from 10 to 14 October, 2016, to discuss and develop the technical foundation for innovation and sustainability. They are participating in the IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) 80th General Meeting organized by the IEC National Committee of Germany, DKE. In electrotechnology, harmonized technical rules are more important today than ever before. Elect
- The deep renovation of the neighbourhood of Rainha Dona Leonor resulted in a significant reduction of energy consumption, an increased production of renewable energy, reduction of CO2 emissions and an increased quality of life for local residents.
Rainha Dona Leonor is a neighbourhood of 150 multi-family dwellings built in 1953. The buildings, made up of concrete structure, brick walls and light weight slabs, had never been upgraded, which led to a profound state of degradation of the (...)
- New report says that a lack of awareness and knowledge of smart home products and their benefits is holding back market growth but still predicts healthy revenues4 October 2016: High price tags continue to put smart homes beyond the reach of most home owners and many who can afford to pay are not being sold on the benefits, according to a report from Beecham Research released today. While new home comforts and easy living remain...Source: RealWire
- While politicians, diplomats and other high-ranking dignitaries have made promises and commitments, and agreed challenging targets, it is industry that will do the spadework by putting many of these commitments into practice – from improving energy efficiency to investing in low carbon technologies.Industry will play a massive role in transforming our carbon-based world – that is wasteful with energy – into one that generates energy without any greenhouse gases, while using it
- London – September 29 2016 - New research from BroadGroup suggests that the Nordic markets are positioning as a giant European Data Hub based on the abundance of green power available supported by low energy taxation, increased connectivity and a stable economic environment.In the new report, Datacentre Nordic II (www.broad-group.com/reports/data-center-nordics-ii) the research consultancy reviewed current data center developments revealing a changing picture over the past twelve months an
- New P-Laser 600 kV HVDC System Allows A Cost Reduction Of Up To 30% Per Transmitted MWP-Laser Is The First Fully Recyclable Environmentally Friendly HVDC Cable SystemMilan, 29 September 2016 - Prysmian Group, world leader in the energy and telecom cable systems industry, is ready to launch a new breakthrough cable technology for the development of power transmission grids that will ensure higher electrical performances, lower costs and better environmental sustainability. The Group announces tod
- To outsiders, collaboration between industry and academia appears straightforward and one-dimensional: the company has a problem, and pays the university for its expertise in solving it. In reality, however, the interaction between the two goes far deeper than this – encompassing training, recruitment, branding and other shared benefits.“By working with universities, we get access to their competence and knowledge, which we would otherwise have to spend lots of time acquiring,”
- As a Mediterranean coastal city, Barcelona is particularly vulnerable to climate change. Its high population density also magnifies the local heat island effect which causes an array of health and environmental challenges. Climate change projections include a rise in average temperature and a significant decrease in rainfall, with expected lasting droughts and intense heat waves.
In response, Barcelona has committed to becoming a global model of a sustainable city combating urban (...)
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 28 September 2016: SKF’s industry leading lubrication technology and system engineering support is being used to help ensure optimal operational performance on the world's first next generation bioproduct mill. The groundbreaking mill, which is being built by Metsä Fibre, part of Metsä Group, in the Finnish town of Äänekoski, will use 100 per cent of the raw materials and run solely on renewable energy.The new mill is the largest ever single investme
- Fluid power systems are only as good as their seals. Hydraulic cylinders have long been the standard approach for motion applications that require high power density and reliable service in tough operating conditions, such as the construction mining, agriculture and forestry sectors. But the successful operation of hydraulic machinery relies on its ability to permit motion while containing the oil within the components of the system.Seal failures have a lot of undesirable consequences, including
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 28 September: SKF will exhibit at ADIPEC 2016 to showcase its comprehensive range of efficiency and reliability enhancing technologies for applications in the oil and gas industry. From proven bearings and seals for top drives to sophisticated maintenance innovations, SKF’s range of products and services has been specifically designed to dramatically improve the performance and availability of vital equipment across the sector.Among the technologies on show will be SKF&
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 27 September 2016: The SKF HBU3 units selected for the FCA’s recently launched Alfa Romeo Giulia offer a range of compelling advantages over conventional wheel bearing designs. These include faster, more straightforward assembly and a longer service life. Bearing preload is set during the manufacture of the units, minimizing play and guaranteeing exceptionally low levels of noise and vibration.Beyond improved reliability, drivers will benefit from improved ride and hand
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 27 September, 2016: SKF will be appearing at WindEnergy Hamburg 2016 to launch its new spherical roller bearings for wind turbine main shafts. Manufactured to deliver outstanding reliability, these self-aligning bearings provide exceptional performance and meet service life needs of more than 25 years.SKF’s standard spherical roller bearings are already the most used bearing type in wind turbine main shaft arrangements, with more than 100,000 installations worldwide. Ho
- SKF has announced an extension of its Remote Monitoring Service for the manufacturing, process and industrial sectors. The service has been developed to help companies cut the cost of condition monitoring, especially in critical applications, by providing a dedicated off-site team of specialists capable of providing round-the-clock monitoring.To date, the SKF Remote Monitoring Service has been deployed extensively in the marine sector, where it is used to optimise the performance of a wide range
- Engineering expertise from SKF is helping the UK’s largest bus and coach manufacturer build vehicles for challenging operating environments around the world.When Alexander Dennis Limited (ADL) received an order for 250 buses from Go Transit in Toronto, its engineers faced a challenge: To keep passengers comfortable year round in a city where temperatures can vary from -25 ºC in the winter and more than 35 ºC during hot summer spells, the customer specified an uprated heating and
Prysmian To Display Innovative, Sustainable And Cost Effective Cable Solutions For The Offshore Wind Industry At WindEnergy Hamburg 2016Focus On EPR Technology For Inter-Array Applications Up To 66 kV, Enabling Up To 15% Cost Reduction Of Offshore Wind FarmsStrengthened Installation Capabilities With 3rd Prysmian Cable-Laying Vessel, UlisseMilan, 26 September, 2016 – Prysmian Group, world leader in energy and telecom cable systems, will showcase its state-of-the-art range of products and services for offshore wind at the 2016 edition of the WindEnergy Hamburg event in Germany. From September 26 to 30, hall B6 booth 562....
- Modern bearings are highly engineered components that are the end result of extensive research into materials and bearing geometries, but their ultimate performance depends very much on how they are supported in duty - in other words, how they are housed. In this article, David Oliver, Channel and Platform Development Manager for Bearings at SKF describes the different types of bearing housings and their applications, as well as important design criteria such as seal selection and lubrication.Be
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 23 September 2016: At the International Suppliers fair (IZB) in Wolfsburg, Germany from 18 to 20 October 2016, SKF will showcase a range of solutions developed to meet the demands of automotive electric powertrains. Pure electric vehicles (EVs) and hybrid vehicles are reaching the automotive mainstream. By 2020, higher production volumes and technological advances will mean electric vehicles are likely to be cost-competitive with their gasoline equivalents. B
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 23 September 2016: At the International Suppliers fair (IZB) in Wolfsburg, Germany from 18 to 20 October 2016, SKF will announce the launch of a new product designed to offer greater durability, improved comfort and reduced noise and vibration in automotive suspension applications. The spring insulating suspension bearing takes SKF’s robust, proven main suspension bearing unit (MSBU) technology and incorporates a polymer spring that is mechanically and chemically b
- The progRESsHEAT project assists local, regional, national and EU political leaders in developing policy and strategies to ensure a quick and efficient deployment of renewables in heating and cooling networks.
The project relies on the preparation of strategies for developing heating and cooling networks in six European pilot cities (Ansfelden - Austria, Heerten - Germany, Litomerice - Czech Republic, Helsingor - Denmark, Matosinhos - Portugal, Brasov - Romania) based on an in-depth (...)
- An innovative new compressed air system is using SKF tapered roller bearings, which are helping to keep energy, carbon dioxide and noise emissions to a minimum.Background
Compressed air is used throughout industry, with the British Compressed Air Society (BCAS) estimating that 70 percent of all companies use it in their operations. Indeed, the global market for air compressors is valued at more than £20bn per year.Although there have been ongoing improvements made to existing compressor de
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 21 September, 2016: The suspension monorail runs along a continuous steel rail in one direction, turning at the ends of the line in a loop. The cars are suspended below from their bogies. The railway can take bends with radii from 120 m, reaching a maximum speed of 60 kilometres/hour, making it considerably faster than a tram, for instance. The drive units running on the rail comprise pairs of wheels aligned behind each other. Unlike traditional rail vehicles, the suspension
- Gothenburg, Sweden 21 September, 2016: SKF has signed an agreement with Czech railway engineering company BONATRANS GROUP a.s., to supply 1840 axlebox sets and journal bearings. The components will be used as part of a major order for freight cars from Ferrovial Algeria, the Algerian division of the global infrastructure and municipal services company.High levels of reliability are a key priority in this application, which will involve extended operation in extremely challenging conditions: the
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 21 September, 2016: SKF has launched a revolutionary new seal that has been developed to save energy and cut maintenance requirements in high speed passenger rail applications. Introduced to the market for the first time at InnoTrans 2016, the SKF Centrifugal Lip Seal features an innovative design that offers a unique combination of both contacting and non-contacting sealing on wheel set bearing units in one product.The sophisticated seal allows for an optimised friction patt
- Stewart McLellan, Business Development Manager for SKF’s Railway Segment, explains how OEMs and rail operators can improve the overhaul, repair and replacement of critical components on rail vehicles, to extend service intervals.An industry trend for improved availability and performance of rolling stock has forced train manufacturers to find long life integrated products – as defined by the RAMS (Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, Safety) process. One important area of cons
- Minimizing the number of overhauls for a bogie during the life of a train is key to reducing life cycle cost. Extending the service interval from four to six years can bring savings of about 3 000 EUR per bogie per year.Looking back more than a decade the wheels were one of the main limiting factors to extend the time between maintenance intervals. Nowadays the use of computer controlled under-floor lathes to remove flat spots and compensate for wear means that a set of wheels can last for more
- Keeping freight trains on the rails is a major behind-the-scenes operation – and if not done well, can lead to very expensive unplanned repairs. These costs can be managed by regular testing, which ensures that potential failures are picked up well in advance.Failures of AC traction motors in freight rail systems are a major component behind breakdowns. Despite this, testing regimes for AC traction motors are often incomplete, and do not verify the entire motor. At the same time, testing i
- As in many areas of transportation, the drive to improve safety and reliability and to reduce maintenance in the rail sector is leading to increased interest in condition based maintenance approaches. That calls for monitoring technologies: changes in temperature, vibration and other variables during normal operation can provide an early warning of mechanical problems, allowing operators to take action before failures occur. The problem until now has been that installing the array of sensors req
- The city of Riga has been promoting electro-mobility since 2010 by purchasing electric cars for municipal services, developing public fast-recharging infrastructure in the city and raising awareness among citizens.
Setting high standards for urban mobilityThe city of Riga aims at a high-quality mobility system with low air pollution. The main goals of Riga's electro-mobility projects are to improve air quality, minimize the impact of transport on the environment and set high standards for (...)
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 19 September 2016: SKF will be present at WindEnergy Hamburg 2016 to demonstrate how to optimise performance and increase turbine availability in the wind power sector through its range of dedicated technologies. From intelligent maintenance systems to bearings and lubrication system pumps, the innovations being showcased have all been designed to reduce the levelised cost of energy and maintenance requirements, while enhancing safety and energy output. Being
- In an official statement, the SIG (Geneva Industrial Services) has pledged that all the electricity they will supply as of January 2017 will be 100% renewable, thus definitely discarding fossil energy in favour of hydro and solar power.
This decision is the result of the joint commitment by the Council of State and SIG to developing renewable energy sources, a vital condition for achieving the energy transition in Switzerland. After freeing itself from nuclear energy, the Canton of Geneva (...)
Today meets tomorrow as HUBER+SUHNER showcases major solutions for energy networks at WindEnergy HamburgLeading international manufacturer of components and systems for optical and electrical connectivity, HUBER+SUHNER, is to demonstrate its solutions for intelligent energy networks at WindEnergy Hamburg, taking place September 27-30. ‘Today meets tomorrow’ for the Swiss-based company, which will be exhibiting its contemporary products and systems according to future demanding requirements of the energy industry. The showcase of HUBER+SUHNER at WindEnergy will focus especially on appli
Schneider Electric's Resource Advisor Certified for GRI G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines ContentEnergy and sustainability software helps customers manage data and meet the latest GRI disclosure guidelinesLondon, UK. – 13 September, 2016 – Schneider Electric today announced that the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) has certified the company’s energy and sustainability software platform, Resource Advisor, to meet the data collection and integration requirements of G4, GRI’s latest sustainability reporting guidelines. GRI provides the world’s most widely used re
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 13 September 2016: SKF today announced the introduction of its Lincoln 12-volt, lithium-ion PowerLuber. Developed for quick, effortless application of lubricant, this grease tool is suitable for agricultural, automotive, construction, general maintenance and industrial applications.The 12-volt PowerLuber features a lithium-ion battery for maximum power and efficiency and delivers grease at up to 8,000 psi (551 bar). Its three-point base keeps the tool upright for user conveni
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 12 September 2016: In response to the food and beverage industry’s changing needs, SKF has developed a comprehensive range of bearings meeting safety requirements, designed for reduced maintenance and long life in a wide range of production environments.Product safety is the top priority for food and drink manufacturers, consumers and regulators alike. The latest industry requirements, like the US Food Safety Modernization Act and ISO 22000, require companies to place i
- The 18th edition of the European Energy Transition Conference, organised by BordeauxMétropole, the Dunkirk Urban Community and ADEME in close collaboration with Energy Cities, will be held in Bordeaux on 24, 25 and 26 January 2017.
This event is the major Rendez-vous of energy transition stakeholders and it gathers each year more than 2,000 participants over 3 days.
Last year no less than 200 contributions were received and contributed to making the event a veritable laboratory for ideas
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 7 September, 2016: SKF’s wire rope lubricator (WRL) is helping a leading Greek ship management services provider to maximise safety, cut downtime and significantly extend the life cycle of its ropes. Pantheon Tankers Management Ltd is currently using the specially developed service tool on 11 vessels in its fleet of oil tankers and is showing particularly positive results.The robust WRL is helping the Athens-based firm to ensure optimum lubrication in all of its wire ro
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 8 September 2016: SKF has introduced a new Vibracon kit for the clean and permanent alignment and chocking of resilient mounted equipment. Presented to the global market for the first time at SMM 2016, the universal chocking solution is particularly quick and easy to use on resilient mounts in the maritime industry, such as those under engines, generators and skids, and is both adjustable and reusable.Each complete kit comprises all the components needed for one resilient mou
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 8 September 2016: At the SMM 2016 trade fair (Hamburg, 6-9 September), SKF is announcing the launch of its 4th generation Simplex intermediate shaft bearing for propulsion shaft lines. The new bearing features multiple design changes and improvements, to provide superior durability, reliability and ease of installation and maintenance for vessel builders and operators.Those improvements begin at the housing. The revised design is stiffer and around 50kg lighter (in the case o
- Gothenburg, Sweden, 7 September, 2016: Over the past few years, the maritime industry has undergone a transformation—and this revolution shows no signs of slowing down.To help customers and people interested in the maritime industry to stay up to speed with the latest industry news and provide technical insights and advice, SKF has launched Engineering at Sea, a brand new online magazine and interactive platform. Topics are focused on innovations, safety, green technology, engineering prac
Innovative SKF Dynamic Stabilizer Cover cuts retractable stabilizer fin box opening drag by up to 90 percentGothenburg, Sweden, 8 September 2016: At the SMM 2016 trade fair (Hamburg, 6-9 September), SKF will launch its new SKF Dynamic Stabilizer Cover, designed to reduce drag and improve the efficiency of passenger vessels equipped with SKF retractable fin stabilizers type S and type Z.The use of fin stabilizers to control rolling motions has resulted in significant improvements to passenger comfort and safety in a wide range of vessels, from yachts to cruise ships, ferries as well as commercial vesse
- Legal conventions on pollution (such as MARPOL) are becoming stricter, covering everything from greenhouse gases and liquid pollutants to soot and other fine particle emissions. Consequences of non-compliance range from more frequent inspections and harsher fines, to a complete ban on entering a nation’s ports.While emissions from engine exhausts, bilge water separators, sewage systems, and incinerators have been methodically checked for decades, previously this has been a decentralised pr
- On the road away from Paris, the urge to accelerate the green transition of our energy system is no longer disputed. The technology is ready and the economic case is stronger than ever, with renewable energy becoming more competitive than fossil fuels in numerous regions of the world.
Members in the spotlight
“Adopt a panel” in Helsinki
Finland's largest solar power plant hosted on the roof of the Kivikko ski hall is owned by the city of Helsinki. As part of this project, the city ut
Office for National Statistics (ONS) announces migration to Oracle Cloud Applications and selects Certus Solutions as Implementation PartnerThe ONS is pleased to announce that it has entered into a partnership with Certus Solutions to implement Oracle’s Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and Human Capital Management (HCM) Cloud Applications. This is the first complete Oracle Cloud suite implementation across Her Majesty’s (HM) Government.The ONS current ERP system Oracle E-Business Release 11 is an ageing product which has only minimal sustaining support. As a consequence the organisation requires a modern ERP system to
Follow @Energy_News_UK on Twitter!