Nicholas McVeigh, a director at Cleckheaton-based lighting manufacturer Status International (UK) Ltd was surprised to find himself being crowned the 100 millionth visitor to the renowned Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre since its opening in 1988.
Mr McVeigh was attending the Hong Kong Electronics Fair (Autumn Edition) when he was was surprised by a team from the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre (Management) Limited and its Managing Director, Monica Lee-Müller, who pres
- Harvard Technology’s EyeNut Combined Emergency driver has been commended in the ‘Emergency Lighting Product of the Year’ category at the Lux Awards 2016.
The driver allows users to retrofit automated emergency luminaire testing into large, multi-site estates for the first time – with results accessible from anywhere in the world via the cloud-based EyeNut system.
The product has already been successfully deployed in a number of projects, alongside the award-winning EyeNu
- New research by the University of Bristol reveals that domestic LED lights are much less attractive to insects – such as biting midges – than traditional filament lamps.
Scientists highlighted the need for further research on other heat-seeking flies that transmit disease, including mosquitoes that are carriers of pathogens that cause damaging diseases such as malaria and Zika fever.
The study was funded by the Natural Environment Research Council and UK lighting manufacturer, Integr
- Sprue Safety Products, the manufacturer of fire and carbon monoxide safety solutions, has appointed five new specification managers, all tasked with enhancing the presence of the trade only brand SONA.
Tim Martins, Andrew Greenhorn, David Lyne, Guy Merrick and Naveed Khan join Sprue’s trade sales team as Area Specification Managers. Each will be responsible for liaising with specifiers and consultants to advise best practices and system design to maximise efficiencies, as well as driving s
- Online lighting retailer LED Hut has bought back the company from US venture capitalists. The company had merged with American firm, Batteries Plus, two years ago, but has now been purchased by former LED Hut Financial Director Clive Brown and his business partner Simon Boyle.
LED Hut, which launched in 2011, employs 60 staff at its Manchester HQ and had a turnover of over £18m in 2015. The company has sold over eight-million lightbulbs in the last five years.
Clive Brown, LED Hut’s
- Hughes Trade has been named the Miele Professional Partner for the East Midlands, following the sale of the previous incumbent, Wilson Electrics, to JLA.
Hughes Trade will now employ 10 of Wilson Electrics’ staff and operate from premises in Boston Road, Leicester and be under the day to day control of manager Jason Smith.
From here the Hughes’ team will service customers in Cambridgeshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Northamptonshire and parts of Bucki
- The Electrical Industries Trading Company in support of the Electrical Industries Charity is thrilled to announce that powerBall 2016 was a tremendous success raising over £450,000.
Over 800 guests across the sector enjoyed the spectacular entertainment from the headline act of the night, the legendary Jersey Boys. The four boys from New Jersey took guests on a journey through the history of pop music featuring their top 10 worldwide hits including Beggin, Bye Bye Baby (Baby Goodbye), Can
- Marie Parry, Marketing Director, Scolmore Group, looks at the growing Smart Lighting sector and the opportunities that it presents to wholesalers in the coming year.
Projected to exceed US$47 billion by 2020, the global lighting industry has come a long way from the on/off world to energy efficient lighting and adaptive lighting to the current connected – or smart – lighting era.
In the UK, the lighting market was estimated to be worth around £2 billion in 2015, an increase of
- Fire and security products supplier, ESP, has appointed Ryan Munnery to the position of Area Sales Manager for the North West Region.
Ryan takes up the position following a successful sales career within the electrical wholesale sector including a seven year spell with one of the UK’s leading electrical wholesale companies. This experience, he says, will help enormously in his new role as he has a sound understanding of how the electrical wholesale sector operates and what wholesalers need
- R&B Star, the independent and family run electrical wholesaler based in Kent and London has achieved the FORS Silver Accreditation.
The company has been working alongside FORS, the Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme for a number of years and says it is proud to have been awarded the Silver Accreditation.
R&B Star discovered the FORS accreditation when tendering for large contracts in London. The scheme which encompasses safety, fuel efficiency, vehicle emissions and improved operations f
- Hylec-APL, the specialist supplier of electrical components and enclosures, has signed a commercial agreement with Edmundson Electrical Limited covering the supply of Hylec-APL’s electrical and electronic products to Edmundson’s 350 outlets throughout the country, including all Edmundson, Electric Center and Lockwells branches.
Edmundson Electrical will stock Hylec-APL’s product ranges, including the recently-launched Debox SL, the UK’s first 100% tool free inline connect
- Sprue Safety Products, the manufacturer of fire and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms, has enhanced the CO protection of clients at the East Lothian & Repair Charitable Trust through the donation of 30 CO alarms.
East Lothian Care & Repair Charitable Trust is a Scottish charity that provides direct financial support to older and disabled people who may require adaptations or repairs to their homes.
The charity assists clients who are home owners and private tenants aged 60 and over, or aged 50
- Luceco, the manufacturer and distributor of high quality and innovative LED lighting products and wiring accessories, announces its successful initial public offering, having started trading on the London Stock Exchange’s main market on 20 October 2016.
The listing raised gross proceeds of £93 million, giving the Company an initial market capitalisation of around £209m, which has subsequently increased to £235m. The proceeds of the flotation will be used to help boost the
- Scolmore’s innovative mobile App won the Electrical App of the Year category in this year’s Electrical Industry Awards.
The free to download App is packed with features and calculators and contains a 9,000 searchable products, product and tutorial videos, catalogue downloads and all the latest news and events.
What sets the App apart is the ‘Tool Kit’ feature, which includes a selection of valuable calculators, designed to make it quick and easy for electricians to make e
- Plessey, the manufacturer of lighting and sensing products and components, will be lighting up Compton Verney Park, Warwickshire, in a spectacular entitled “IN LIGHT” to commemorate the 300th anniversary of renowned British landscape architect, “Capability” Brown.
The Plessey LEDs are being used in Consol Solar Jars which are manufactured by South African company Suntoy. Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park are using 1,000 of the jars as one of its key set pieces.
- As part of Hamilton Litestat’s plan to expand its business within the UK, the company has appointed Paul Walker as Commercial Director and Paul McCourt as Operations Director.
Paul Walker has been appointed as Commercial Director to continue the company’s growth in established areas and spearhead Hamilton’s drive into new product sectors.
Paul has 30 years’ experience in the industry and joined Hamilton in 2014 following roles at Havells, where he successfully established
- Gareth John has recently joined the Lighting Industry Association (LIA) as Technical Lead – Photometry, this new position has been established to meet the lighting industry’s expectations and future needs.
Since graduating from Southampton University with a PHD in Quantum and Functional Matter Physics, Gareth has spent the past 10 years specialising in photometric/optical testing services for a variety of industries, with lighting becoming his forte.
Already highly respected within t
- Juice Electrical Supplies already have 30 years’ experience as an independent electrical wholesaler and are now proud to announce the opening of their new Chesterfield branch, which joins already established outlets in Pinxton and Mansfield Woodhouse.
Situated on the busy Storforth Lane Trading Estate in Hasland, the new branch has a large trade counter and substantial stocks of many leading brands, including Aico, Ansell, BG, Europa, Hager, Manrose, Saxby, Scolmore, Wylex and many more.
- SWA’s Firefly Cable Clips have been awarded eight Warrington Fire Safety Certificates for their BS7671 Amendment 3 compliant range of clips. The Certificates represent a major coup for Firefly as their entire range of inside/outside trunking clips are now proven.
SWA’s Firefly Cable Clips are a unique, spring-loaded design which embed tighter into substructure as a fire takes hold, making the risk of overhead cables falling almost impossible. In the tests at Warrington in July using
- The Electrical Industries Charity has launched its 2017 Dragon Boat event which will see industry teams vie for the coveted Dragon Boat trophy. The event takes place on Saturday, May 6th at Peterborough Rowing Lake and promises to be a fun filled day with teams of 9 to 11 paddling to the beat of the drum.
Dragon boat racing an ancient Chinese tradition and is one of the fastest growing water activities in Britain. So if you think you have what it takes to challenge the dragon sign up now.
- For the second year running, Kew Electrical was crowned ‘Best Wholesaler’ at October’s Electrical Industry Awards 2016. A major event on the industry calendar, the awards celebrate outstanding performance throughout the electrical industry.
The event took place at the Royal Garden Hotel, Kensington, London on Thursday 27 October.
Operations Director, Nik Mulcahy said: “All the team are very proud to have been crowned ‘Best Wholesaler’ for the second year runn
- Scolmore has introduced a range of Smart Switches to its iNELS Smart Wiring Accessories collection, making it easy for installers to upgrade an existing wiring installation.
Putting additional switches in more practical or convenient locations, for example, or the option to add two-way dimming, are all possible without the need for extra cabling.
The Smart Switches are compatible with Click iNELS RF wireless control systems to offer automated lighting control and they can be used with the iNELS
- Marshall-Tufflex has introduced a range of power and data Desk Modules to complement its Underfloor to Desk range.
The high strength, fire retardant polycarbonate moulded modules are ideal for under desk mounting, incorporating twin 5Amp USB points that charge up to five times faster than standard PC ports.
The pre-wired, pre-tested power modules can be used individually or linked to serve multiple workstations using Wieland GST18/3 connectors. With additional circuit protection via aluminium RC
- Since launching this year, Aura Light’s lighting rental scheme has seen a significant take-up by large companies wanting to spread the cost of their investment. Aura is able to spread this investment over seven years, significantly reducing monthly/annual payments.
The benefits are enormous. Under the banner ‘Lighting as a Managed Service’ (LaaMS), Aura Light provides lighting design, installation, full maintenance cover and lighting consultation throughout the length of the sc
- Dimplex announces the DXTT3 Pro Series Twin Turbo Ceramic Workshop Fan Heater, with a unique design that frees up workspace whilst delivering safe, comfortable heat for workshops and garages. With its eye-catching design and robust steel case, the DXTT3 Twin Turbo is a compact portable electric fan heater that can be used free-standing or wall-mounted.
The heater provides a powerful 3kW of heat which can be directed where you want it most with an adjustable 30° ‘tilt’ mechanism.
- Old, corroded and out of order security lights are widespread, yet a replacement solution, such as ESP’s GuardCam WF wireless CCTV system, can be installed in no more than 15 minutes, without the need for additional cabling.
GuardCam WF is an all-in-one, energy-efficient PIR LED floodlight, with 720P high definition CCTV system. Simply fix to the wall, connect to the mains power, set and pair the external unit to the monitor and it’s ready to go. GuardCam WF will detect an intruder,
- Heat Mat Underfloor Heating is now offering customers a larger touchscreen thermostat as part of its control range.
The stylish NGL-3.5 thermostat is easy to use and features a 3.5in colour touchscreen display and simple interface. This new, larger touchscreen is designed as a complete clock thermostat with multiple benefits such as eco mode and an adaptive function to learn the heat characteristics of a room then adjust the temperature accordingly to save energy.
Available in white, silver or b
- LED and HID lighting specialist, Venture Lighting Europe, has unveiled a new and refreshed website, www.venturelightingeurope.com, to display its range of new products and technologies.
The website design matches new branding developed alongside the launch of a new product catalogue, with new products including LED Edge Lit Panels, Glass Tubes, LED Midibays and Highbays and IDT Streetlights.
The website also features a new Lighting Design Tool, allowing users to select their luminaires and calcu
- CP Electronics, a leading UK manufacturer and designer of energy-efficient lighting controls solutions, has produced a ‘how-to’ video tutorial for its professional commissioning LCD programming handset – the UNLCDHS – offering practical tips to help get the most out of the device.
The video includes a step-by-step introduction to the handset and its key functionalities along with instructions on amending security settings, configuring and programming products and changing
- Luceco proudly launches a brand new publication demonstrating the range and diversity of their LED luminaires.
Luceco has also showcased many new fittings, serving applications across varied industry sectors including healthcare, education, retail, hospitality, industrial and commercial lighting.
Notable luminaires such as the High Efficiency Backlit LuxPanel, boasting a market leading efficacy of 147 luminaire lumens per watt and the celebrated Platinum Downlight are featured, plus the new Epsi
- School projects are under pressure to finish on time and in budget – two major factors that can be aided by Marshall-Tufflex’s Fast-Coupling Wire Basket System, an extremely quick installation solution for cable management.
Recently installed by M&S Electrical at the new St George’s C of E Primary School in Thanet, Kent, Marshall-Tufflex’s Fast-Coupling Wire Basket System boasts a connection time of just four seconds.
“I can vouch for the Fast-Coupling Wire Bask
- The applications for Scolmore’s IEC Lock, with its unique and patented locking mechanism, are extensive – from data communications, military, medical and maritime, to outside broadcasting and leisure. In its latest application, IEC Lock is being used by the manufacturers of an award-winning, flameless heating tool which is revolutionising the automotive, marine, aerospace and petrochemical industries.
The new iDuctor is a hand-held, professional tool that is used to loosen tight conn
- Dimplex’s unique Quantum off-peak electric heating system has been chosen to deliver improved efficiency, lower running costs and improved comfort at the headquarters of Kent Invicta Chamber of Commerce.
A heating system comprising Dimplex Quantum heaters and Dimplex’s intelligent Q-Rad electric radiators has been installed at Kent Invicta Chamber of Commerce, replacing outdated electric storage heaters at the industrial unit, located on a business park in Ashford, Kent.
- Wieland Electric has supplied its popular Metalynx2 structured wiring system as part of the £20 million refurbishment contract of One Puddle Dock, a six storey commercial premises in the City of London.
The refurbishment of One Puddle Dock includes the removal of existing services, partitions and floor coverings of the 100,000sq ft floor space and refurbing to Cat A standard for the sub-let space. Other office areas will be fitted out to Cat B standard, which includes new M&E installat
- Luceco has recently supplied an LED lighting solution for new buildings at Exmouth Community College in Devon.
Specified by Hamson Barron Smith and installed through Terry Moore, Contracts Manager at Dodd Group Ltd, in Exeter, Luceco has supplied dimmable LED luminaires for new classrooms and circulation areas in new buildings at Exmouth Community College.
LuxPanels from Luceco offer a unique design. The high efficiency backlit panel has a completely frameless appearance and boasts a market-lead
- The year 1966 will be remembered by many as the year that we lifted the World Cup. But 1966 also has huge significance for electrical wholesalers – it was the year that Luckins was launched. The ‘industry bible’ has become the must-have reference point on trade prices for busy wholesalers and contractors. Fifty years on, Editor, Debbie Eales, meets the company’s Content Director, Richard Appleton, to learn about Luckins’ colourful history.
Not a lot has fazed Lucki
- Businesses despair of too much regulation. It holds back entrepreneurial enterprise, they argue, and stifles innovation. Yet, where would we be without effective legislation?
Casualties were sadly all too commonplace in the construction sector before the government’s Health and Safety Executive tackled serious issues such as falls due to working at height. And no electrician in the land would want to go back to handling toxic materials such as asbestos, which have rightly been outlawed.
- All things ‘green’…and there’s money to be made!
Leading climate scientists have only just warned that our world is dangerously near exceeding the 1.5oC upper limit for global warming, a mere eight months after this target was established at the Paris climate summit. The negotiations, deemed highly successful at the time, went further than the previously held 2oC limit beyond which climate change would start to become catastrophic – and possibly irreversible.
- Have you been taking advantage of the FREE webinar programme available from Voltimum? Make sure you keep up-to date with all the latest hot topics, industry regulations and growth markets, all from the benefit of your desk, without the need to travel.
Voltimum continues to develop the services it offers to users and the growing webinar programme is proving extremely popular.
Recent sessions have covered a wide variety of topics, from health and safety and power quality, through to lighting contr
- Training and education is the lifeblood of the electrical sector. From learning the necessary technical skills at apprenticeship level and beyond, through to keeping to abreast of the latest developments at seminars or in webinars, updating skills and increasing knowledge is a lifelong process.
This month we explore some of the latest developments in training and education in the electrical industry, from the government’s plans to increase apprenticeships and developing skills in
- The electrical sector needs to consider the benefits of on-going training and development and look beyond the technical to raise awareness of issues such as stress and mental health, argues Andrew Brister.
Training in the electrical industry takes many forms. In any technical discipline, it’s crucial that workers are skilled in their craft and the electrical sector is blessed with a robust apprenticeship framework which equips trainees with the necessary skills to meet the latest stringent
- The solar PV market may no longer be the days of the Gold Rush for electrical contractors, but the technology’s ability to reduce energy bills and cut carbon emissions means there’s a still healthy commercial market. Andrew Brister reports.
Electrical contractors are always urged to consider new markets. For many, solar PV was the most profitable diversification of them all, as homeowners went crazy for a technology that was a licence to print money given the government incentives av
- For most of us, our home is our safe place. It’s a somewhere to come back to after a day at work, to raise a family in and to relax in. But how safe is it in reality?
The number of burglaries in the UK are falling. The incidents in 2015 were down 33% from the same period 10 years earlier (Jan-Dec 2005) and 70% just 20 years ago (Jan-Dec 1995).
However, according to the Office for National Statistics, there were 401,718 police-reported burglaries between January 2015 and December 2015 &ndas
- Margaret Fitzsimons, Director of the Electrical Distributors’ Association, has become the newest member The Worshipful Company of Lightmongers.
Mrs Fitzsimons made the announcement at the Lightmongers’ inaugural annual charity lecture in October, at The London Transport Museum. The lecture was given by leading environmental campaigner, author and broadcaster, Jonathon Porritt, who spoke about ‘Lighting Up A Low Carbon World’.
The Worshipful Company of Lightmongers is one
- An award-winning wholesale electrical distributor, based in Colnbrook, is expanding into Watford following its acquisition of a trade supply business in Croxley Business Park.
Rapid Electrical Distributors, started by St Albans entrepreneur Nick Edwell in 2004, which counts Crossrail as one of its clients, has merged with Watford Electrical Solutions, that’s traded from Greenhill Crescent for over 15 years.
Having rebranded its unit Rapid Electrical (Watford), the business employs six sta
- A new high voltage (HV) electrical training facility has been kitted out with specialist test equipment from Seaward to ensure the highest standards of technical tuition and learning.
Specialist training provider, Eastwood Park, in South Gloucestershire is introducing a new comprehensive programme of HV courses for Authorised Persons in the healthcare and commercial sectors, as well as technical managers and heads of departments who are responsible for the operation of private HV power distribu
- One Electrical Ltd has expanded its lighting laboratory facilities with the Viso LabSpion (pictured below). Based in Manchester, and with 16 years in the lighting business, the company has more than 1,500 resellers, across 30 countries.
Rob Chadwick, Director said: “This has been a large investment, but to us it is not a matter of ‘wanting something’, but rather ‘needing’. To be recognised as one of the top names in the industry, it is a must that you have solid qua
- The Lamp release of the LIA (Lighting Industry Association) website is now live, bringing the latest improvements to members and Academy users as part of the LIA’s rolling programme of website developments.
Students successfully completing learning through the Lighting Industry Academy, including all courses offered by the LIA, will now be able to access their recognised learning record. Each user’s profile will provide access to a verified record of all recognised learning, ava
- Westminster Electrical Wholesalers Ltd has won the UK Customer Experience category of the 2016 Epicor Customer Excellence Global Awards.
The wholesaler transformed customer experience through the quick three-month implementation and adoption of Epicor BisTrack software and, as a result, it retained its second largest customer and secured a three-year supply contract with them.
Bracknell-based Epicor Software Corporation is a global provider of industry-specific enterprise software to promote bus
- Cable gland and cable cleat manufacturer, CMP Products, has expanded its operation in Canada with a new stock location in Alberta.
UK-based CMP Products has operated locally in the Canadian market for more than five years, with sales support provided by local sales teams throughout Canada and products serviced from CMP’s North American distribution centre in Houston, Texas.
This is a significant investment for CMP Products in Canada as the company continues to identify market growth opport
Follow @Electrical_UK on Twitter!