Smart Tech Live is back!
Following on from the success of last year’s inaugural seminar, there will be two Smart Tech Live events in 2017. The first will be held in London at The Grand Connaught Rooms on Friday 9th June. The second will be held at The Principal York in York on Thursday 15th June.
Preparing TODAY for the industry TOMORROW
Held in association with the ECA, the goal of Smart Tech Live is to inform and educate aspirational electrotechnicians about smart, connected, and innovat
- Are you aware of the dangers of asbestos inhalation?
Exposure to asbestos is a danger that every electrician faces and the consequences of breathing in disturbed fibres can be fatal. Virgil Anderson reached out to us on behalf of Mesothelioma.net, a US-based support site supporting those affected by cancer caused by asbestos inhalation.I was recently diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer caused by exposure to asbestos. From automotive to demolition work, I’ve had many jobs in my lif
- 8 steps to make a living as a smart home installer
Thinking of entering the smart home installation market? Follow our eight steps to success!
Over the last decade, smart home technology has increased in popularity but there are still many misconceptions among consumers. At Voltimum we often discuss how users see this new world, their fears and hopes, mostly because we believe that these discussions can help installers in guiding and educating consumers through their options.
However, what is le
- Whilst wandering the halls at ISE 2017 in Amsterdam, Voltimum was fortunate to get a glimpse of some of the new wireless devices added to the ABB-free@home home automation system.
Whilst wandering the halls at ISE 2017 in Amsterdam, Voltimum was fortunate to get a glimpse of some of the new wireless devices added to the ABB-free@home home automation system.
Until now, ABB-free@home has been, predominantly, a wired system, with sensors and actuators communicating via a 2-wire bus line. The system
- Five inventive tools that make an electrician’s life easier
We identify five simple solutions that were invented to make an electrician’s life that little bit easier.
Time is a luxury that many electricians don’t have. That’s why any tool or solution that can shave a few precious minutes off of a job is worth its weight in gold. All singing and dancing testing equipment and power tools are great but sometimes it is the simple solutions that can make the big difference.
- Fluke is an American brand with a reputation for portability, ruggedness, safety, ease of use and rigid standards of quality.
A digital multimeter is a necessity for troubleshooting and diagnosing electrical and electronic problems accurately, but sometimes finding the problem takes more time than you’d like. Fluke identifies five reasons why you need a thermal multimeter in your tool bag.
If you’re an electrician or technician who is responsible for keeping industrial systems and pr
- The LEDVANCE truck has started its tour of the UK and Ireland.The truck will be traversing the highways of the British Isles from the 13th February 2017 until the 3rd March 2017. It will be stopping at wholesalers and other convenient locations around the UK and Ireland to showcase LEDVANCE’s product portfolio to installers.
Visitors to the truck will get the chance to demo the brand’s new comprehensive range of LED luminaires and discover for themselves how straightforward they are
- Click Smart controls help you upgrade existing wiring installations
Click Smart has released a series of videos demonstrating common household problems that could be solved with its range of smart switches.
Click Smart makes it easier than ever for installers to provide an upgrade to an existing wiring installation. Smart Switches consist of a Retractive Switch Module and Switch Cover Plate. They are available in five switch types, in multiple finishes and styles from across the Click Wiring Acc
- Voltimum’s Ambassadors put Schneider Electric’s Easy9+ consumer unit to the test
Three Voltimum Ambassadors have put Schneider Electric’s Easy9+ consumer unit to the test on real-life applications. How did it stand up to scrutiny?
The latest in Voltimum’s Ambassadors programme has seen TG Electrical Services, ESDV Power and Philelectrics selected to try out Schneider Electric’s Easy9+ consumer unit on live projects.
The Easy9+ consumer unit boasts a number of innova
- powerBall 2017 is back for another extraordinary night which will recapture the ’70s classics and get everyone in the spirit of Friday Night Fever.
The event is organised by The Electrical Industries Trading Company Limited which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Electrical Industries Charity
This year’s powerBall promises to be the most colourful and unforgettable experience which will get your feet moving all night long to its ’70s disco theme of Friday Night Fever. In 30
- The active fire protection sector is relatively mature and has been primarily driven by the wider performance of the UK building and construction market, according to AMA Research. However, the construction sector has shown good growth over the last three years or so and this has translated into some better growth figures for the active fire protection market.
Source: AMA Research/Trade Estimates
Growth in the active fire protection sector has been positive since 2013 with the chart featured her
- Jeff Kerridge, Sales Manager at cable management company Marco, explains why people are at the heart of this growing business.
While many businesses are looking to streamline their operations, Marco is moving in the opposite direction, injecting more personality and more people-contact into its operations.
Sales Manager, Jeff Kerridge says: “I believe there is a growing backlash from the consumer who is unwilling to be treated like a mere transaction. Our personable approach is built on a
- Manufacturers risk losing out on trade opportunities with Europe without appropriate CE marking for their cable products, says BRE Global, a UK leader in fire, security and environmental testing and certification of construction products.
BRE Global undertakes cable fire/safety testing and certification for CE Marking
The 1st July 2017 deadline, when CE marking becomes mandatory for power, control and communication cables placed on the European market, is just around the corner, warns BRE Global
- Relationships are key to building any business, but good relationships are most important in situations where you are relying on someone to raise awareness, inform and sell your product to their customers. In the electricals industry, a distributor is first port of call for installers needing products and advice. Hamilton Litestat tells us why that manufacturer/distributor relationship is so key.
Medlock Harringay’s Trade Counter Manager, Eric Rose, with Hamilton Litestat’s Area Sale
- Buying group AWEBB has launched a new quarterly, priced magazine, which will reach a readership of 10,000 customers nationwide via its membership network.
AWEBB has operated a central stores delivering crucial stock, next day, to its members for more than 20 years so it is a natural progression to showcase what’s in store directly to members’ customers, says the group’s CEO, Mark Lambert.
The magazine, TRADES Choice, features key stock from leading manufactures such as NEST, H
- Scolmore Group has been successful in upgrading its ISO 9001 certification to the new International Quality Standard ISO 9001:2015.
With only 15% of UK companies having applied to transition from the old standard when it was introduced in September 2015, Scolmore says its decision to update to the new system early, demonstrates its continued commitment to remain at the forefront of developments in their industry and that it will set them apart from competitors.
The company’s early transiti
- Manufacturer Hamilton Litestat is linking up with the Electrical Contractors’ Association (ECA), the UK’s leading trade association representing the interests of electrotechnical contractors and engineers across design, installation, inspection, testing and maintenance.
Hamilton will become an ECA ‘commercial associate’ and will engage with the organisation and its members to maximise business success and opportunities within the engineering services sector. This include
- Thorn Lighting’s Altis and Mundial floodlights were installed at Leicester City FC to elevate the facility to Premier League standards prior to their title win that was described as the greatest sporting upset ever, or the best football fairy-tale of history.
The lighting refurbishment work at Leicester City FC commenced before the club became champions of the Premier League as its King Power Stadium had to meet the levels of vertical illuminance required for HDTV sport coverage.
- Scolmore has expanded its Inceptor range of integrated lighting products with a selection of energy-saving LED Bulkheads that have convenience and speed of installation as their key attributes.
The new Inceptor EVO Bulkhead offers a number of features and benefits unmatched by competitor products and Scolmore has a patent pending on the product’s unique design.
As well as integrating the control gear and the light source within the diffuser, the bulkhead also has a Flow plug allowing for f
- According to leading fire and security products supplier, ESP, there are still a lot of installers who are unaware that a fire isolator switch is a legal requirement with all new fire alarm systems being installed in the UK – coming under the BS539 Part 1 Standard.
ESP’s new BS5839 compliant Fire Isolator Switch securely isolates the mains supply feeding a fire system control panel and is crucial for fire system maintenance. The supply can only be isolated by an authorised person, us
- Carl Kammerling International has extended its screwdrivers range with C.K dextroVDE Slim Screwdrivers – designed for quick and easy access to recessed screws and fixings. The new screwdrivers have a slim shaft and an ergonomic handle for increased comfort, control and safety. The premium chrome vanadium steel blades also offer exceptional strength and durability.
Tested to 10,000v, each screwdriver provides safe live working up to 1,000v and the dynamic torsional feedback offered by the C
- Carl Kammerling International has launched the pioneering MightyRod PRO range of cable rods, featuring advanced technology to deliver the ultimate in performance.
Featuring SplinterSHIELD, a significant advancement in cable rod technology and a European first, the 100 per cent splinterproof coating encases the inner fibreglass rod to prevent harmful and painful splintering.
Available in a 7mm rigid rod for overhead use, a 6mm flexible rod for most everyday applications, and a 4mm super-flexible
- Light Efficient Design UK Limited announces the immediate availability of its LED-8090A 120W retrofit lighting solution for low bay and floodlight installations.
The LED-8090A allows affordable and non-invasive replacement of 400W HIDs with 120W LED. Its unique, single sided LED design allows a very high light output ratio ensuring users benefit from clean, bright light (>80 CRI) while saving up to 70% in energy costs and emissions.
Using the existing light fittings, installation simply requi
- New energy efficient electric heating has come of age.
Whilst many of the UK’s 3.9 million off-grid households have been benefitting from this highly efficient heating technology, those on the gas grid should now consider electrical warmth too. With gas security being brought into question, with gas reserves lower than usual at this time of year, the option of electric heating is coming into focus. Vent-Axia’s range of energy efficient electric heating includes: Opal Aluminium Radiat
- GreenBrook’s new tubular heaters have a built-in adjustable thermostat from 5°C min to 40°C max and operate with an instant start. Fitted with a re-settable thermal trip, these discrete low level heaters take up very little room where wall height or space is a concern. They offer an ideal solution for heating conservatories, garages and greenhouses and are a great addition to our standard range of tubular heaters.
Rated IP44, these units are available in lengths from 1ft to 6ft and
- The Epicor BisTrack ERP (enterprise resource planning) solution is an award-winning distribution software system that offers the functionality needed to process simple to complex transactions for electrical wholesalers.
BisTrack can bring together the whole business operation of a wholesaler, from sales, purchasing and marketing to quality control and warehouse operations, enabling them to work together.
BisTrack provides a view of your business as a whole, or alternatively, a view of a specific
- Redring’s new ‘3 in 1’ boiling water tap, Reditap, offers an affordable option, dispensing both boiling water plus conventional hot and cold water mixing.
Boiling water taps were once seen as a luxury purchase. But with the launch of Reditap, the technology is now more readily available to the mass market.
Reditap is a straightforward install, requiring minimum tools as it comes complete with all the necessary fittings in one box.
Reditap also offers excellent flow rates, class
- Many IT professionals arerelying on small spaces for their ever increasing business criticalapplications, such as branch office operations, telecom and edge computing.
- CEF LIVE returns to Birmingham’s NEC Arena on June 8th and 9th this year. Hosted by CEF, the electrical products and services supplier, the event will feature leading brands, exclusive offers and vital information about imminent industry changes.
Ahead of the release of The 18th Edition of the IET Wiring Regulations later this year, attendees will gain a first glimpse of how the new legislation could affect the way they work when they come into force, and hear from industry experts on how
- Lamps & Lighting, a family business since 1971, underwent a company name change to Steon Lighting on 1st February 2017.
Steon Lighting took the decision due to recent technological advances and market forces that have resulted in a dramatic shift in the lighting market.
With the increased adoption of solid-state light sources, namely LED, traditional lamps have fallen out of favour. As Steon Lighting adapted to this change and diversified into manufacturing LED lighting, the company na
- Recruiting and retaining a talented team can be a challenge for any business – and electrical wholesalers are no exception. For most organisations, people are the most valuable asset, but is the sector taking every opportunity to attract and keep talented employees? Here, the Electrical Distributors’ Association (EDA) explores the challenges and opportunities for education and training in our sector.
According to the CBI/Pearson Education and Skills Survey 2016, “more than thre
- The Approved Cables Initiative (ACI) has developed an online video campaign to highlight the dangers and problems contractors and installers can face with sub-standard cable.
The campaign which launched on 25th January to the cable supply industry has been developed around three themes and will grow into a collection of animated videos as part of the ACI’s further involvement in content marketing.
Launching with three messages – Dressed to impress tells the viewer that some cables ar
- The Lighting Industry Association (LIA) has announced that The Worshipful Company of Lightmongers has become a Lighting Industry Academy Ambassador (Academy).
It joins a number a number of industry players who have already become Ambassadors and support the vision of the Academy. The Academy adopts a collaborative approach, offering a central point of access for lighting related learning and assurance of a consistent quality.
The Worshipful Company of Lightmongers is respected throughout the lig
- Sprue Safety Products, the manufacturer of fire and carbon monoxide safety solutions, has appointed a new Sales Director who will be tasked to take the business forward in 2017 and beyond.James King, pictured, has worked for Sprue Safety Products for more than seven years and has extensive industry-based knowledge of growing market share and working with a premium product. He will manage a newly established team of 11 since the amalgamation of Sprue’s Fire & Rescue, Utilities and Trade
- The leading software for lighting will soon incorporate V-TAC’s LED Lights
V-TAC, a global LED lighting brand, has become a partner of DIALux – creators of the world’s leading software for lighting design. V-TAC’s comprehensive range of lights will be listed on the software by March 2017, meaning over 600,000 architects, engineers and lighting technicians who use it around the world will soon be able to design, calculate and visualize how each V-TAC product can best be us
- New awards venue guarantees glitz and glamour for the industry’s night of the year!www.electricalwholesalerawards.co.uk
Who needs the Oscars when you can mingle with celebrities from the world of stage, screen and more at this year’s Electrical Wholesaler Awards dinner? We are taking to the red carpet to host what promises to be a brilliant night of fun, fabulous food and entertainment as the Electrical Wholesaler Awards dinner moves to the world famous Madame Tussauds, in London on
- When it comes to safeguarding clients’ data, ADP uses the very latest tools, tactics, techniques and procedures, and turned to Scolmore to provide the solution to some of the security requirements at its datacentres in Europe.
ADP is a global provider of cloud-based Human Capital Management (HCM) solutions and leader in business outsourcing services, and has more than 600,000 clients in over 100 countries worldwide.
Establishing and maintaining the trust of clients has been the foundation
- Specifiers working on ward upgrades at a leading South-West hospital required a cable management solution that met the cleanliness and durability requirements of the ward environment coupled with the capacity and flexibility to deliver bed-head services.
Barnstaple’s North Devon District Hospital needed a trunking system that was flexible, hygienic and durable, but the hospital also insisted on metal, further narrowing the product choices. Marshall-Tufflex’s Sterling Aluminium 3002 i
- CP Electronics’ microwave presence/absence detectors MWS3A-PRM and MWS6-PRM and the EBDSPIR-PRM passive infrared presence/absence detector were used at Unity Hall
Scolmore Group has added to its Inceptor range of integrated LED Downlights, with a non-fire-rated version that offers a high-quality, cost-saving LED solution.
The new Inceptor Pico Fixed Integrated LED Downlight is ideal for applications where a fire-rated fitting is not required. Without compromising on quality or performance,
- Scolmore Group has added to its Inceptor range of integrated LED Downlights, with a non-fire-rated version that offers a high-quality, cost-saving LED solution.
The new Inceptor Pico Fixed Integrated LED Downlight is ideal for applications where a fire-rated fitting is not required. Without compromising on quality or performance, Inceptor Pico produces an excellent light output for the power utilised.
With its 47mm profile, the fitting is ideal for when the void depth is limited, and it has an a
- ESP continues to develop its HDView CCTV range to bring products with enhanced performance to market and the latest addition is a new 720P high definition Pan Tilt Zoom (PTZ) camera with improved x18 optical zoom capability and a more stylish design.
PTZ cameras have a motorised mechanism for remote control of the camera’s lens, allowing large areas to be covered with one camera. This mechanism offers a full pan, tilt and zoom operation, whilst enabling a 360 degree rotation function and z
- Popular in the social housing sector, Aico’s Ei414 Fire/CO Alarm Interface provides a cost-effective, convenient means of interconnecting Aico Smoke and Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarms to third party life safety systems such as Fire Panels, Telecare Devices and Sprinkler Systems.
To clarify the most popular connection options, Aico has introduced a dedicated brochure, ‘Are you Missing the Connection?’
Most properties now have Fire Alarms – and many have CO Alarms, but these s
- Seaward’s latest generation portable appliance tester now incorporates an extended range of data logging features enabling users to more effectively record the results of non-electrical workplace health and safety tests and inspections.
The Apollo 600 PAT now incorporates a ‘customer inspection’ form for the creation of userdefined checklists for the logging of details for a wide range of workplace health and safety equipment, systems and conditions.
For example, user generated
- Lighting manufacturers are being urged to pay greater attention to lighting control detectors, in order to pass on improved energy savings to customers.
That’s the advice from CP Electronics, as it unveils its new dedicated OEM brochure, which addresses the needs of the OEM market. The document outlines the company’s wide range of lighting control detectors and systems, which are designed to help OEMs maximise the energy efficiency of their product offering.
While LEDs pass on cost a
- DANLERS are pleased to announce the launch of their EasyZAPP range of PIR occupancy switches. Designed for the automatic control of lighting or other connected loads, these controls are remotely set-up or adjusted using a free app on an Android phone or tablet.
EasyZAPP products work as presence detector switches and can be adjusted for settings such as photocell override, time lag and maintained lux levels (dimmable versions only).
The phone or tablet can be used as a remote control on/off over
- Luceco provided an LED lighting solution to Selby Leisure Village, a £5.7m project recently completed by Selby District Council for Wigan Leisure & Culture Trust (WLCT).
The venue provides activities such as indoor skiing, a ski simulator, adventure climbing – including indoor high ropes, ten pin bowling, play area experiences as well as food outlets.
Installed by T Clarke, Luceco supplied 200w Titan High Bay LED luminaires for the Urban Gym and Extreme Skate facilities. Titan pr
Tamliteâ€™s Â£0.5m plus investment in LED circuit board production adds weight to its â€˜Best of Britishâ€™ initiativeDelivering ‘Best of British’ technology to the very heart of its lighting technologies has long been an initiative pursued by Tamlite Lighting – the UK privately owned lighting manufacturer. Now, the company has announced the culmination of £0.5m plus investment in its own UK production facility to manufacture high performance LED printed circuit boards (PCBs).Manufactured under the Tamtec brand, the LED circuit boards will enable Tamlite’s product design team to re
- Last year finished on a high for the AWEBB Buying Group as they delivered a new Citroen Berlingo van to ‘Vantastic’ competition winner Paul Sykes of Ecogise Electrical in Barnsley.
Mr Sykes, a customer of Lincs Electrical Wholesalers (LEW) was presented with the keys to his new van on December 21st by AWEBB CEO Mark Lambert at the LEW Barnsley branch.
Mr Sykes said: “I was surprised to receive the call from Mark Lambert saying that I had won. It’s a fantastic prize and I
- CMD Limited, the British manufacturer of a range products including ergonomics, power modules, power distribution, cable management and lighting controls has announced its acquisition by Ideal Industries Inc.
Outgoing CMD Managing Director Steve Cole explains: “The decision to sell CMD was not an easy one, however our recent trading success has made it clear to me that in order to take the business to even higher levels, we needed greater support and investment to match the company’s
- Wholesalers have a key role to play in educating their customers about the benefits of structured wiring systems, says Mark Redfern of Wieland Electric.
Electrical contractors are under constant pressure to work smarter and more productively, adding more value to their customers as a way of differentiating themselves from competitors. Electrical wholesalers, therefore, have an important role to play in helping their contractor customers ‘up their game’.
A good example of this is the
Follow @Electrical_UK on Twitter!