New awards venue guarantees glitz and glamour for the industry’s night of the year!www.electricalwholesalerawards.co.uk
Who needs the Oscars when you can mingle with celebrities from the world of stage, screen and more at this year’s Electrical Wholesaler Awards dinner? We are taking to the red carpet to host what promises to be a brilliant night of fun, fabulous food and entertainment as the Electrical Wholesaler Awards dinner moves to the world famous Madame Tussauds, in London on
- When it comes to safeguarding clients’ data, ADP uses the very latest tools, tactics, techniques and procedures, and turned to Scolmore to provide the solution to some of the security requirements at its datacentres in Europe.
ADP is a global provider of cloud-based Human Capital Management (HCM) solutions and leader in business outsourcing services, and has more than 600,000 clients in over 100 countries worldwide.
Establishing and maintaining the trust of clients has been the foundation
- Specifiers working on ward upgrades at a leading South-West hospital required a cable management solution that met the cleanliness and durability requirements of the ward environment coupled with the capacity and flexibility to deliver bed-head services.
Barnstaple’s North Devon District Hospital needed a trunking system that was flexible, hygienic and durable, but the hospital also insisted on metal, further narrowing the product choices. Marshall-Tufflex’s Sterling Aluminium 3002 i
- CP Electronics’ microwave presence/absence detectors MWS3A-PRM and MWS6-PRM and the EBDSPIR-PRM passive infrared presence/absence detector were used at Unity Hall
Scolmore Group has added to its Inceptor range of integrated LED Downlights, with a non-fire-rated version that offers a high-quality, cost-saving LED solution.
The new Inceptor Pico Fixed Integrated LED Downlight is ideal for applications where a fire-rated fitting is not required. Without compromising on quality or performance,
- Scolmore Group has added to its Inceptor range of integrated LED Downlights, with a non-fire-rated version that offers a high-quality, cost-saving LED solution.
The new Inceptor Pico Fixed Integrated LED Downlight is ideal for applications where a fire-rated fitting is not required. Without compromising on quality or performance, Inceptor Pico produces an excellent light output for the power utilised.
With its 47mm profile, the fitting is ideal for when the void depth is limited, and it has an a
- ESP continues to develop its HDView CCTV range to bring products with enhanced performance to market and the latest addition is a new 720P high definition Pan Tilt Zoom (PTZ) camera with improved x18 optical zoom capability and a more stylish design.
PTZ cameras have a motorised mechanism for remote control of the camera’s lens, allowing large areas to be covered with one camera. This mechanism offers a full pan, tilt and zoom operation, whilst enabling a 360 degree rotation function and z
- Popular in the social housing sector, Aico’s Ei414 Fire/CO Alarm Interface provides a cost-effective, convenient means of interconnecting Aico Smoke and Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarms to third party life safety systems such as Fire Panels, Telecare Devices and Sprinkler Systems.
To clarify the most popular connection options, Aico has introduced a dedicated brochure, ‘Are you Missing the Connection?’
Most properties now have Fire Alarms – and many have CO Alarms, but these s
- Seaward’s latest generation portable appliance tester now incorporates an extended range of data logging features enabling users to more effectively record the results of non-electrical workplace health and safety tests and inspections.
The Apollo 600 PAT now incorporates a ‘customer inspection’ form for the creation of userdefined checklists for the logging of details for a wide range of workplace health and safety equipment, systems and conditions.
For example, user generated
- Lighting manufacturers are being urged to pay greater attention to lighting control detectors, in order to pass on improved energy savings to customers.
That’s the advice from CP Electronics, as it unveils its new dedicated OEM brochure, which addresses the needs of the OEM market. The document outlines the company’s wide range of lighting control detectors and systems, which are designed to help OEMs maximise the energy efficiency of their product offering.
While LEDs pass on cost a
- DANLERS are pleased to announce the launch of their EasyZAPP range of PIR occupancy switches. Designed for the automatic control of lighting or other connected loads, these controls are remotely set-up or adjusted using a free app on an Android phone or tablet.
EasyZAPP products work as presence detector switches and can be adjusted for settings such as photocell override, time lag and maintained lux levels (dimmable versions only).
The phone or tablet can be used as a remote control on/off over
- Luceco provided an LED lighting solution to Selby Leisure Village, a £5.7m project recently completed by Selby District Council for Wigan Leisure & Culture Trust (WLCT).
The venue provides activities such as indoor skiing, a ski simulator, adventure climbing – including indoor high ropes, ten pin bowling, play area experiences as well as food outlets.
Installed by T Clarke, Luceco supplied 200w Titan High Bay LED luminaires for the Urban Gym and Extreme Skate facilities. Titan pr
Tamliteâ€™s Â£0.5m plus investment in LED circuit board production adds weight to its â€˜Best of Britishâ€™ initiativeDelivering ‘Best of British’ technology to the very heart of its lighting technologies has long been an initiative pursued by Tamlite Lighting – the UK privately owned lighting manufacturer. Now, the company has announced the culmination of £0.5m plus investment in its own UK production facility to manufacture high performance LED printed circuit boards (PCBs).Manufactured under the Tamtec brand, the LED circuit boards will enable Tamlite’s product design team to re
- Last year finished on a high for the AWEBB Buying Group as they delivered a new Citroen Berlingo van to ‘Vantastic’ competition winner Paul Sykes of Ecogise Electrical in Barnsley.
Mr Sykes, a customer of Lincs Electrical Wholesalers (LEW) was presented with the keys to his new van on December 21st by AWEBB CEO Mark Lambert at the LEW Barnsley branch.
Mr Sykes said: “I was surprised to receive the call from Mark Lambert saying that I had won. It’s a fantastic prize and I
- CMD Limited, the British manufacturer of a range products including ergonomics, power modules, power distribution, cable management and lighting controls has announced its acquisition by Ideal Industries Inc.
Outgoing CMD Managing Director Steve Cole explains: “The decision to sell CMD was not an easy one, however our recent trading success has made it clear to me that in order to take the business to even higher levels, we needed greater support and investment to match the company’s
- Wholesalers have a key role to play in educating their customers about the benefits of structured wiring systems, says Mark Redfern of Wieland Electric.
Electrical contractors are under constant pressure to work smarter and more productively, adding more value to their customers as a way of differentiating themselves from competitors. Electrical wholesalers, therefore, have an important role to play in helping their contractor customers ‘up their game’.
A good example of this is the
- Stuart Hall, Epicor Sales Director for UK and Ireland, examines the history of electrical wholesaling and how the development of ERP (enterprise resource planning) software has helped wholesale businesses to grow and evolve.Electrical wholesaling in the UK began in the 1880s when G. Binswanger and Company found early success with an innovative way to supply a range of electrical products over the counter to the trade.
Later, in 1914, 24 wholesalers came together to form the Electrical Wholesaler
- Matt Parton, Product Development Manager at security products supplier, ESP, answers some of the most frequently asked questions on the subject of CCTV, and provides valuable information to help wholesalers stock and sell the right products.
Q. What is included in a CCTV system?
A. There are four main components:
DVR – Digital Video Recorder (the brains and storage device of the system)
Camera (the eyes of the system)
Cable (to connect the cameras to the DVR)
Monitor (to connect to the DV
- When advising customers on upgrading to LED lighting, wholesalers need to consider the best solution for all parties. Adrian Kitching of Crompton Lamps considers the options.
While LED lighting has really taken off in recent years, many buildings are still using older lighting technologies. For the wholesaler, therefore, there are many more opportunities to sell LED lighting. The question is, what is the best way to go about an LED upgrade, in terms of providing the best solution for both the e
- As the popularity of electric radiators continues to grow, Richard Brown, Managing Director of Electrorad, explains why it’s vital that wholesalers look to a company and brand that can offer contractors a wide range of radiators – not just aluminium or oil-filled – but a variety of ranges with different looks, heating mediums and control systems.
Electric radiators are fast becoming a first choice when looking for heating solutions. With no messy pipework, no yearly maintenanc
- Birtley-based AEI Cables has announced it will be serving notice of redundancy on a number of employees and that it is proposing to enter a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA).
Following an extended period of collective redundancy consultation which started in September 2016, the company has regrettably reached the decision that it is unable to continue manufacturing and that it will continue as a sales-only business.
The majority of the company’s 198 employees will leave on or before Frid
- The Electrical Distributors’ Association (EDA) began the New Year welcoming more than 70 new members, each one a member of the IBA Electrical Wholesale Buying Group. The membership unlocks a package of benefits for IBA’s independent wholesale members.
IBA’s Chief Operating Officer, Paul Jenner, explains why membership of the EDA is so important to his members: “In business, there is no such thing as too much support, and EDA membership offers the perfect complement to the
- CEF, in partnership with Electrical Waste, is warning industry professionals to discard data storage devices with care or risk being a victim of cybercrime.
According to IBM, 2.5 quintillion bytes of data are created every day. This includes various types of data, including documents and files, digital photos and videos, e-commerce payment transactions, payroll, health records and social media posts amongst others.
Latest figures from the Information Commissioner’s Office indicate that in
- Tamlite Lighting has invested over £250,000 in four new lighting showrooms. Each aligned to a specific end user, the showrooms will demonstrate how cutting-edge LED lighting applications should be matched with unique business need.
Tamlite is one of the UK’s leading manufacturers and designers of lighting. To maintain this position, the firm is targeting its UK-based R&D and manufacturing activities on sector-specific solutions.
“The lighting industry is very fast moving;
- Electrical products distributor, CEF, has taken part in the St Basil’s Big SleepOut for the second year, raising more than £10,000 to help homeless young people across the West Midlands.
St Basil’s Big SleepOut 2016 took place last November in the grounds of Birmingham Cathedral. It saw a record breaking 626 people joining together with nothing more than cardboard and a sleeping bag to protect them from the cold.
Managers and staff from CEF joined those braving the low overnigh
- Marshall-Tufflex PowerPoles and PowerPosts are the good-looking and cost-effective solution for delivering power, data and communication services to island workstations.
These practical systems are manufactured in lightweight aluminium with PVC-U covers and accessories and are available in an anodised or white powder coated body.
Available in circular, elliptical and square designs, single or double-sided versions offer between six and 14 accessory boxes. Additional accessory boxes can be added
- Since its launch six months ago, the Solar Sensor LED light from Bright Spark Solar has proved extremely popular with homeowners and businesses.
And one Hampshire business which stocks the new product was so impressed that it chose it to light up its own signage.
Jim Liddiard, of APM Supplies, said: “The lights are selfselling on the counter with customers getting the benefits instantly. The solar lighting is free and with no wiring and no need for an expensive electrician, it’s an i
- ESP, the leading security products manufacturer, has plans to extend its Duceri Emergency Lighting range to bring new and improved products to market.
First to be launched is a self-contained emergency twin spotlight which delivers an improved light output.
The new, non-maintained twin spot emergency light (EM9WNM Spot 2) features two adjustable 15 SMD 2835 LED spot lamps – with green LED indicator – which supply a 248-lumen output and will provide efficient illumination for a range
- Aico Ltd, the UK residential Fire and Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarms specialist, has launched a new responsive website offering detailed product and alarm technology information plus an extensive selection of support tools and information.
Completely redesigned, www.aico.co.uk has a contemporary look and intuitive navigation. Content focused, it delivers information and support in formats required by a range of visitors. The home page provides instant clear links to the most visited pages of the pr
- CP Electronics, the UK designer and manufacturer of energy-saving lighting controls, has launched a modular wiring solution featuring a complete pluggable system, allowing for the configuration of any lighting installation in minimal time.
Simple to install, it uses just four components: tee modules, extender leads, luminare leads and connectors.
Using an industry standard GST connection, the solution offers full compatibility with all luminaires with connectors of this type, as well as CP Elect
- The Magneto patented magnetic LED rail track system from Save Light is put together by magnetically attaching light bars (short pitch 24v strip, housed in opal lens covered profile with magnetic feet), and a snap on power supply connector to track, which can be cut to length.
This plug and play system makes a great alternative to link lights or LED strip, without the hassle of cutting, wiring or soldering. Magneto allows you to create an unlimited amount of symmetrical shapes. Apart from being u
- Consort Claudgen has launched an improved range of commercial fan heaters to its extensive portfolio of products.
Each robustly designed heater is now equipped with intelligent fan control which detects the temperature in the environment and automatically adjusts its fan speed to quickly achieve a warm airflow temperature.
This allows the heater to immediately blow hot air, even when initially powered on in a very cold room, for the user’s comfort.
Enhanced with one of the latest low energ
- The £500,000 transformation of a former Chinese restaurant by two local Lincolnshire businessmen has been completed, and brings a stylish new eatery to Burton Waters Marina.
The new Harbour Lights Bar & Kitchen was the subject of a total interior refit which took six months to complete and is now open for business, with products from Scolmore’s lighting control and electrical accessories ranges selected to meet the client’s requirements.
Marcus Stonham from Total Electrical
- Aldwyck Housing Group in Houghton Regis, Bedfordshire, has decided to standardise on Aico Ei208 Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms, based on its positive experience of working with Aico over many years.
Aldwyck Housing Group will be installing Aico AudioLINK™ Ei208 Lithium battery powered CO alarms into 5,200 properties. Darren Corsby, Asset Manager at Aldwyck, said: “Rather than use multiple different alarms, we wanted to standardise on one alarm type for uniformity across our housing stoc
- Family-owned flooring and furniture business, Butterfill’s in Llandrindod Wells, Wales, recently upgraded its showroom. The refurbishment included a simple LED centrepiece that delivers in terms of both impact and energy efficiency. It includes 44 MEGAMAN® 3W Gold Filament lamps and as well as looking stunning, has the additional benefit of saving £1,025 in electricity costs and 4,402 kg of Co2 for the store every year*.
Butterfill’s is a successful local business built up
- Luceco has supplied energy efficient LED lighting to C S Ellis Logistic Centres located throughout the West Midlands.
Electrical Contractors, EBM Electrical Services Ltd, have installed Luceco’s High Bay LED luminaires at C S Ellis’s head office and distribution centre in South Luffenham.
The Titan High Bay provides an ideal replacement to HID 250W – 400W luminaires, offering high efficacy and over 50,000 hours of maintenance free operation. Other installations included LuxPack
- Nicholas McVeigh, a director at Cleckheaton-based lighting manufacturer Status International (UK) Ltd was surprised to find himself being crowned the 100 millionth visitor to the renowned Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre since its opening in 1988.
Mr McVeigh was attending the Hong Kong Electronics Fair (Autumn Edition) when he was was surprised by a team from the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre (Management) Limited and its Managing Director, Monica Lee-Müller, who pres
- Harvard Technology’s EyeNut Combined Emergency driver has been commended in the ‘Emergency Lighting Product of the Year’ category at the Lux Awards 2016.
The driver allows users to retrofit automated emergency luminaire testing into large, multi-site estates for the first time – with results accessible from anywhere in the world via the cloud-based EyeNut system.
The product has already been successfully deployed in a number of projects, alongside the award-winning EyeNu
- New research by the University of Bristol reveals that domestic LED lights are much less attractive to insects – such as biting midges – than traditional filament lamps.
Scientists highlighted the need for further research on other heat-seeking flies that transmit disease, including mosquitoes that are carriers of pathogens that cause damaging diseases such as malaria and Zika fever.
The study was funded by the Natural Environment Research Council and UK lighting manufacturer, Integr
- Sprue Safety Products, the manufacturer of fire and carbon monoxide safety solutions, has appointed five new specification managers, all tasked with enhancing the presence of the trade only brand SONA.
Tim Martins, Andrew Greenhorn, David Lyne, Guy Merrick and Naveed Khan join Sprue’s trade sales team as Area Specification Managers. Each will be responsible for liaising with specifiers and consultants to advise best practices and system design to maximise efficiencies, as well as driving s
- Online lighting retailer LED Hut has bought back the company from US venture capitalists. The company had merged with American firm, Batteries Plus, two years ago, but has now been purchased by former LED Hut Financial Director Clive Brown and his business partner Simon Boyle.
LED Hut, which launched in 2011, employs 60 staff at its Manchester HQ and had a turnover of over £18m in 2015. The company has sold over eight-million lightbulbs in the last five years.
Clive Brown, LED Hut’s
- Hughes Trade has been named the Miele Professional Partner for the East Midlands, following the sale of the previous incumbent, Wilson Electrics, to JLA.
Hughes Trade will now employ 10 of Wilson Electrics’ staff and operate from premises in Boston Road, Leicester and be under the day to day control of manager Jason Smith.
From here the Hughes’ team will service customers in Cambridgeshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Northamptonshire and parts of Bucki
- The Electrical Industries Trading Company in support of the Electrical Industries Charity is thrilled to announce that powerBall 2016 was a tremendous success raising over £450,000.
Over 800 guests across the sector enjoyed the spectacular entertainment from the headline act of the night, the legendary Jersey Boys. The four boys from New Jersey took guests on a journey through the history of pop music featuring their top 10 worldwide hits including Beggin, Bye Bye Baby (Baby Goodbye), Can
- Marie Parry, Marketing Director, Scolmore Group, looks at the growing Smart Lighting sector and the opportunities that it presents to wholesalers in the coming year.
Projected to exceed US$47 billion by 2020, the global lighting industry has come a long way from the on/off world to energy efficient lighting and adaptive lighting to the current connected – or smart – lighting era.
In the UK, the lighting market was estimated to be worth around £2 billion in 2015, an increase of
- Fire and security products supplier, ESP, has appointed Ryan Munnery to the position of Area Sales Manager for the North West Region.
Ryan takes up the position following a successful sales career within the electrical wholesale sector including a seven year spell with one of the UK’s leading electrical wholesale companies. This experience, he says, will help enormously in his new role as he has a sound understanding of how the electrical wholesale sector operates and what wholesalers need
- R&B Star, the independent and family run electrical wholesaler based in Kent and London has achieved the FORS Silver Accreditation.
The company has been working alongside FORS, the Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme for a number of years and says it is proud to have been awarded the Silver Accreditation.
R&B Star discovered the FORS accreditation when tendering for large contracts in London. The scheme which encompasses safety, fuel efficiency, vehicle emissions and improved operations f
- Hylec-APL, the specialist supplier of electrical components and enclosures, has signed a commercial agreement with Edmundson Electrical Limited covering the supply of Hylec-APL’s electrical and electronic products to Edmundson’s 350 outlets throughout the country, including all Edmundson, Electric Center and Lockwells branches.
Edmundson Electrical will stock Hylec-APL’s product ranges, including the recently-launched Debox SL, the UK’s first 100% tool free inline connect
- Sprue Safety Products, the manufacturer of fire and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms, has enhanced the CO protection of clients at the East Lothian & Repair Charitable Trust through the donation of 30 CO alarms.
East Lothian Care & Repair Charitable Trust is a Scottish charity that provides direct financial support to older and disabled people who may require adaptations or repairs to their homes.
The charity assists clients who are home owners and private tenants aged 60 and over, or aged 50
- Luceco, the manufacturer and distributor of high quality and innovative LED lighting products and wiring accessories, announces its successful initial public offering, having started trading on the London Stock Exchange’s main market on 20 October 2016.
The listing raised gross proceeds of £93 million, giving the Company an initial market capitalisation of around £209m, which has subsequently increased to £235m. The proceeds of the flotation will be used to help boost the
- Scolmore’s innovative mobile App won the Electrical App of the Year category in this year’s Electrical Industry Awards.
The free to download App is packed with features and calculators and contains a 9,000 searchable products, product and tutorial videos, catalogue downloads and all the latest news and events.
What sets the App apart is the ‘Tool Kit’ feature, which includes a selection of valuable calculators, designed to make it quick and easy for electricians to make e
- Plessey, the manufacturer of lighting and sensing products and components, will be lighting up Compton Verney Park, Warwickshire, in a spectacular entitled “IN LIGHT” to commemorate the 300th anniversary of renowned British landscape architect, “Capability” Brown.
The Plessey LEDs are being used in Consol Solar Jars which are manufactured by South African company Suntoy. Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park are using 1,000 of the jars as one of its key set pieces.
Follow @Electrical_UK on Twitter!