The LightingEurope Executive Board has appointed Peter Hunt as new President for a term of two years. Hunt is COO of the UK Lighting Industry Association (LIA) and CEO of Lumicom, the UK WEEE Compliance Scheme for the lighting industry.“With his background as a lighting entrepreneur and his experience in the LIA, Peter understands very well the interests of both our company and our industry association members,” says Jan Denneman, the outgoing President of LightingEurope.
- Super Rod and Klein Tools have sponsored two south Wales-based racing drivers, as they gear up for Mini SE7EN racing success.
Drivers Leon Window and Ashley Davies, who race in cars prepared by the Abergavenny race team SMG Motorsport, have previously achieved success in the Mini racing series securing first place in the Novice Championship and the 2016 National Championship respectively. The pair are hoping for another successful season in 2017 thanks to the support of Super Rod and Klein Tool
- EWF (Electrical Wholesalers’ Federation) Past President (1976) Dennis Rose passed peacefully away at his St John’s Wood home on Sunday, March 26th 2017, aged 96. He had enjoyed a very full, healthy and happy life.
Dennis’s grandfather John Altman had founded The Wholesale Fittings Company Ltd in London in 1894. After wartime service in the RAF, Dennis joined the business in 1946 and later became co-director with his father Samuel.
After Sam’s death, Dennis became Chairman
- Described as its most significant investment in recent years, Scolmore has launched Deco Plus – a premium decorative metal wiring accessories range – giving installers even greater choice and flexibility. Totalling more than 800 products, these accessories build on the success of the classic Deco range, introducing smooth, contemporary curves with wide appeal.
Deco Plus comprises Switches (modular ingot plate switches; toggle switches; dimmer switches); Power Socket Outlets, Fused Co
- Wire basket Cablelay is the latest product launched by Marshall-Tufflex. Designed for use in the manufacturer’s Fast Coupling Wire Basket, Cablelay delivers a quick, easy solution for those concerned about power and data cable integrity during installation and for the life of the system.
Cablelay provides a flat, continuous surface that protects from pressure points, kinking ridges, rough and uneven surfaces, sharp edges and protrusions. Cablelay absorbs moisture to prevent it from damagin
- Security products supplier, ESP has made further developments to its HDView CCTV range, which sees the resolution increased from 720p HD to 1080p Full HD, for enhanced image quality.
The improved image/live footage clarity is due to the additional image processing capability of the camera and DVR as a result of increasing from 1 Megapixel to 2 Megapixels.
To ensure recorded data is secure, all ESP AHD DVRs are fitted with Western Digital Purple Hard Drives, which are specifically made for survei
- Aico, the domestic Fire and Carbon Monoxide (CO) protection products specialist, will be exhibiting at ELEX and NICEIC’s TechTalks across the UK in 2017, supporting electrical contractors in achieving best practice in alarm installation.
TechTalks – run by the NICEIC – are half-day seminars which keep electrical industry professionals up to date with techniques and regulations, with an expo sitting alongside. During the 2016-2017 tour, Aico workshops are covering essentials on
- Mix and match sockets and data outlets
Varilight has expanded its decorative “DataGrid” range of modular data, audio visual and telecoms accessories to include power outlet modules.
The newly expanded range, “DataGrid+”, includes both 5A round pin socket modules and 13A power socket modules, as well as a 2100mA double USB charging port module.
Additionally, for installations such as hotels and business suites where international visitors may wish to power their devices, a
- Light Efficient Design UK Limited announces the immediate availability of the industry’s first CE/UMSUG certified LED SOX retrofit re-lamping solutions.
Replacing SOX with high quality LED lighting in a wide and often hard to replace range of lamping applications, Light Efficient Design’s dimmable LED-8100 20W and LED-8101 35W products enable fast and cost-effective replacement of 35W and 55W SOX lamps.
Available in 5700K and 4000K CCT with a clear lens, the new bayonet-cap LED SOX r
- Energy management features on the Digi-Line range of electric radiators from Electrorad cement its position as a number one choice with installers.
Features that include unique independent double panel control, in-built energy monitoring (on the TouchE3 option), and virtual open window sensors, make Digi-Line the efficient and easy-tocontrol alternative to traditional central heating. It is also an ideal replacement for outdated storage heaters and panel heaters.
Unlike competitor’s single
- Luceco launches the Fortis family, an LED exterior range with Wall Pack and Bulkhead luminaire styles.
Fortis Wall Pack is stylish yet totally practical, offering an energy efficient alternative to HID fittings with a 45W LED luminaire being the equivalent of a 70W traditional HID fitting, and a High Space to Height ratio providing the idea retrofit alternative to existing Wall Pack installations. With CRI>80, Fortis Wall Pack is ideal for CCTV areas. Variants include standard output, photoce
- Kidde takes a fresh approach to smoke alarms with the new 10-year guaranteed HomeProtect range. It offers homeowners four different, easily identifiable alarms – each with special features suited to a particular room.
All HomeProtect alarms have a sealed-in lithium battery lasting the full 10-year alarm life, optical sensor technology for continuous protection, loud 85dB alarm sounder and end-oflife warning. HomeProtect alarms are simple for anyone to install with a single-screw mounting b
- GreenBrook’s new VELA Compact range of LED Dimmable Fire Rated Downlights have a super low profile, only 40mm, and they allow the insulation to be laid directly over the fitting. This has been tested and verified in the Lighting Industry Association’s Test Laboratory.
Available in Fixed and Tilt options, 3,000k and 4,000k, these attractive and easy to install fittings are offered in matt white, polished chrome and satin chrome finishes.
Rated IP65 and including a dimmable LED driver,
- The doors to The Highfield School in Letchworth, Hertfordshire, are once more open following a £15 million rebuild, and thousands of products from Scolmore’s wiring accessories ranges have been installed as part of the development programme.
Scolmore’s Mode and Mode Part M sockets, as well as MiniGrid switch modules have been fitted throughout the The Highfield School, including all teaching areas and classrooms (around 60 in total), as well as corridors, foyers and staffrooms.
- Wieland has supplied its Metalynx2 modular wiring system, along with a variety of components for lighting and power distribution, throughout the new Marlborough Primary School in London W3.
The Marlborough Primary School project – being overseen by main contractor Mace – is part of a redevelopment by the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea to provide a new two form entry primary school in the heart of Chelsea.
It has seen the old unsuitable Victorian school building on the site d
- Hastings employer Marshall-Tufflex is marking its 75th year in business with a renewed drive to raise awareness of the career opportunities across its manufacturing business.
The cable management manufacturer is committed to assisting young local job seekers and has already supported five apprentices through relevant NVQ Level 3 Advanced Modern Apprenticeships.
And, as in previous years, the company has announced its attendance at a number of careers events for 2017.
“Marshall-Tufflex is c
- Aico has donated Heat and Multi-Sensor Fire Alarms to the Scottish Veterans’ Garden City Association (SVGCA), a charity that has been housing disabled veterans in Scotland for over a century.
Operating as a private not for profit Scottish charitable landlord, SVGCA houses the greatest number of disabled veterans in the UK. It works closely with Scottish Local Authorities, Legion Scotland and the Army Personnel Recovery Centre to help those transitioning from the Armed Forces due to
- Lighting providers, Contrac Lighting and High Technology Lighting, are to merge, creating a larger lighting manufacturer, offering lighting solutions across almost every sector.
Both businesses believe in the importance of UK manufacturing and will now operate from Contrac’s recently-improved facility in Goole, East Yorkshire. This will allow High Technology to benefit from in-house manufacturing, meaning not only a more efficiently delivered and competitive range of standard luminaires, b
- Marco has taken a walk on the wild side with its latest project specification, supplying products as part of a refurbishment at the giraffe enclosure at Woburn Safari Park.
Definitely different! The giraffe sleeping quarters at Woburn Safari Park provided one of the most unusual locations for Marco’s cable management products range.
Jeff Kerridge, Sales Manager at Marco Cable Management, commented: “We see our products used in a diverse range of schemes and projects but this undoubte
- Ellis has once again demonstrated why it is seen as the global innovator in the cable cleat market by developing a bespoke solution for Balfour Beatty to safely secure power cables running the length of the new Wear Crossing in Sunderland.
Currently under construction, the new two span cable-stayed Wear Crossing features an A-frame pylon rising to 105m (344ft), and will span the River Wear between Castletown on the north bank and Pallion on the south.
Ellis was approached by Balfour Beatty afte
- Corroded casing in Jersey’s famous St Aubin’s war tunnels needed replacing as it posed a fire risk and needed frequent repairs due to high humidity. Marshall-Tufflex’s GRP cable management provided the solution thanks to its corrosion resistance and excellent fire safety credentials.
St Aubin’s tunnels were used by the Germans to store ammunition during war-time occupation. The original tunnel was built in 1898 as part of the Jersey Light Railway but was extended during W
- Wireless sensor technology has many benefits in both new build and retrofit applications, as Sandy Damm, Managing Director of Sontay, explains.
We have fully adopted wireless technology in our homes; we can turn the kettle on without leaving the comfort of our sofas and even turn on the heating before we leave the office at night. However, we have only just started to embrace the power of wireless in commercial buildings. Contractors are keen to learn more about the latest innovations including
- Readers will be familiar with Metpro – the specialist supplier of cable management and strut products, metal conduit tube and accessories to the M&E market, exclusively via electrical wholesalers. Editor, Debbie Eales, visited Metpro to discover how the business lives up to its slogan – Quality, Efficiency and Reliability.
There’s nothing extraordinary about conduit tube, conduit accessories, support bracketry and switch and socket boxes. These, and other staple products i
- The Electrical Industries Charity is calling on the electrical and energy industries to take on a life-changing challenge for people in your industry by participating in one or all of the Charity’s sporting events this summer.
The Charity has a wide range of events to choose from which will get you fit, push you beyond your limits and leave you with long-lasting memories for many years to come.
You can challenge your physical strength, mental grit and overcome your biggest fears while com
- Installing unsafe, non-compliant equipment in error can be a costly mistake. Aside from the cost to your business of repeating the work, any house fires or shocks arising out of the use of non-compliant product could cause loss of life or property and result in legal liabilities to electrical contractors who install these products, and the manufacturers or distributors who sell them.
- Our question is simple, and it’s one we want everyone within the electrical value chain from homeowners to suppliers to ask: “Does it Comply?” (to the UK Electrical Industry Standards). Asking this question each time you do business eliminates the risk that you could be potentially be inadvertently purchasing or installing non-compliant product.
- Electrical Contractors are at the front-end of legal accountability when confronted with the consequences of installing ‘non-compliant’ product. The IET Wiring Regulations states that “Every item of equipment shall be selected and erected so as to allow compliance with the regulations…” in the event of failure, or where it is subsequently found that ‘non-compliant’ has been installed, whether deliberately or by accident, then the installer will be liabl
- Buying equipment from UK based companies, who only sell accredited, tested product, removes the risks associated with non-compliant materials. Installing counterfeit goods infringes on intellectual property rights. You should avoid suspected counterfeit goods and report suspected counterfeiting.
- Last week, Eddie Embleton, MD at Voltimum UK & Ireland, attended the Smart Buildings Conference at ISE, the largest Integrated Systems exhibition in Europe. Here, Eddie shares his thoughts on the show and how it has reinforced that smart solutions are clearly a big part of our industry’s future.
Smart solutions are starting to have a significant impact on our industry and are already considered a key part of Voltimum’s growth strategy. The Smart Buildings Conference, held at the
- Pliers and cutters are core tools in an electrician’s arsenal. Here we look at four top VDE pliers and cutters that will help ensure your work is efficient, accurate and, above all, safe.
A quality set of reliable tools is essential for any tradesperson. Whilst control and comfort should always be considered, by electricians, safety should always be a top priority. No one should be working live, but accidents can happen, and it is important that you use VDE tools that can protect you
- Brother UK Product Manager, Ioana Nitu, gives her top tips on labelling to ensure compliance with BS 7671.
Correct labelling plays an important role in compliance with BS7671. Brother UK product manager, Ioana Nitu, gives her top tips on labelling to ensure compliance with BS 7671. When done badly, labelling can be the root cause of many problems – confusion with electrical equipment can lead to errors and accidental breaches of policies and regulations.
Professional labelling makes it eas
- A partnership between Samsung SmartThings and general lighting provider LEDVANCE sees two leading brands with a global footprint connecting to increase the interaction between lighting and other domestic activities. The result is the provision of an affordable and reliable smart home offering to UK consumers.
The integration of the Samsung SmartThings Hub with the OSRAM-branded Lightify lamps and luminaires enables users to take advantage of automation technology to give them a new level of cont
BASEC to offer support to manufacturers, importers and wholesalers on Low Voltage Directive revision requirementsFollowing a UK public consultation last year, a revision of the Low Voltage Directive (2014/35/EU) has been released under the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016, which came into force on 8th December 2016. The regulations apply to manufacturers, importers and distributors of electrical equipment designed for use with a voltage rating of between 50 and 1000V for alternating current and between 75 and 1500V for direct current, and placed on the market on or after the commencement dat
- Whitstable developer George Wilson has won a trip to Las Vegas after entering a competition with electrical wholesaler Electricbase.
He was entered into the ‘Watt’s Up’ prize draw after spending more than £100 on his first order with Electricbase, the electrical and lighting specialist within builders’ merchant Buildbase.
Mr Wilson was up against thousands of tradespeople across the UK, who flocked to branches to win on-the-spot prize as well as to be in with a chan
- The EDA (Electrical Distributors’ Association) has announced its new President, Simon Barkes, Managing Director of BEMCO, and the third member of his family to lead the Association’s Board.
Simon, who serves as President until March 2019, takes over the leadership of the 12-strong Board from Tom Jones, Divisional Director at Lockwell Electrical. Tom’s tenure as President (2015-2017) coincided with a significant growth for the EDA (120 new members joined from AWEBB and IBA, as
- With new business wins and a commitment to expand its business, Hamilton Litestat has appointed two new area sales managers. Iain Hamilton is Area Manager for the West Midlands and parts of the East Midlands, while Justin Whitham will manage the South West.
Iain joins the family-run business with over 35 years’ experience in the electrical industry. He has worked for a number of prominent brands that include wholesalers Hawnt Electrical and Edmundson Electrical, as well as manufacturers Wa
- The Electrical Distributors’ Association (EDA) has launched its ETIM-UK campaign, designed to transform the quality of technical product data flowing through the electrical installation supply chain.
The EDA’s vision is for all UK manufacturers and distributors to adopt ETIM’s global standard for classifying technical products, bringing us in line with key markets across Europe, the USA and Canada, where millions of products have already been classified using the long-establish
- Twenty-four EDA awards, recognising outstanding achievement in education and training across the UK’s electrical wholesale sector, have been presented at two glittering ceremonies.
Twelve managers received EDA Investor in Training Awards at the Association’s Annual Dinner in front of over 550 guests at the InterContintental Hotel on London’s Park Lane on Thursday 9 March 2017. The next day family, friends and colleagues gathered for a congratulatory lunch on the 34th floor of L
- Scolmore’s Click® Essentials accessories collection comprises products that are vital for installations, including junction boxes, flush mounted switches and socket boxes. The latest addition is a new, non-combustible metal enclosure.
Suitable for use with all Click® fused main switches, the new metal enclosure guarantees ease of installation.
Designed to mount flush against the wall, it features pre-cut mounting holes to ensure any compatible switch is aligned and mounted correctl
- TESP has added a disabled toilet alarm system to its growing range of fire and security related products.
Designed to meet the care standards set out in Part M building regulations BS 8300, the 3-part kit is simple to install and comprises an Indication Module, Pull Cord Module and Reset Module.
The Indication Module includes an 80db distinctive tone alert sounder with clear LED alert triangle indication for when the alarm has been triggered. The Pull cord module features an anti-ligature mechan
- Carl Kammerling International has launched an exclusive promotion for electrical trade customers. Fusebox, from 1st March to 31st May 2017, provides up to 65% discount on over 60 products.
With no sign up required, Fusebox features toolbox essentials from the C.K tools, C.K Magma, Avit and Kasp ranges, including pliers, cutters, screwdrivers, PTAs, lighting, storage and security.
Hero products in the promotion include the C.K MightyRod PRO cable rods plus the new C.K dextroVDE Slim Screwdrivers
- Yorkshire-based lighting company Lumilow Lighting has signed an exclusive UK distribution agreement with Relco Lighting, part of the Relco Group.
The agreement will allow the company to offer high quality products through wholesalers – with emphasis on technical LED products for residential, retail, industrial and amenity applications. Lumilow’s relationship with Relco is focused on the exclusive UK distribution of products manufactured by the Relco Lighting brand. Relco is one of th
- Venture Lighting Europe has launched a range of VLUMA luminaires, delivering significantly higher performance levels using the latest LED technology.
VLUMA luminaires maximise energy savings and efficiency for higher lumen output from lower system power consumption.
The VLUMA is available across a number of luminaries, from interior to exterior lighting. For office ceilings, VLUMA Edge Lit LED panels come in two versions with a power rating of 30W producing 3000 lumens. Measuring 595mm², th
- Electrical safety specialist, GreenBrook, has developed a new range of weatherproof accessories, the PowerBreaker ProteKt range, to provide unparalleled levels of safety and practicality in both commercial and domestic applications.
Easy to install, the PowerBreaker ProteKt range has been designed to offer the highest levels of protection against the ingress of water and solid matter (IP66) to provide safe and efficient electrical connections in even the most arduous conditions.
Ideal for use in
- Celeste is an attractive new circular LED luminaire from Luceco featuring a ‘corona’ backlight effect with a direct/indirect light distribution.
The Celeste is ideal for many commercial and residential lighting applications boasting a market leading efficacy range of Llm/w 107. The backlit accent effect is available in red, yellow, green and blue plus a choice of decorative bezel trims including white, brushed chrome and steel finish. The luminaire can be surface, wall mounted, or su
- Wieland Electric has supplied its Metalynx2 structured wiring system to enable the channelling of power and lighting within the newly redeveloped Belmont in the centre of Uxbridge, West London.
With the use of Wieland products, the Belmont office redevelopment project in Uxbridge exceeds regulatory requirements in the provision of a sustainable and innovative solution – and it is anticipated that the CAT A office redevelopment will result in the building achieving a BREEAM ‘Excellent
- Marshall-Tufflex’s Supertube is at the heart of an iconic London development being hailed as Britain’s most important new cultural building for almost 20 years.
Tate Modern’s new extension, the £260m Switch House, required a highly creative approach to the installation of electrical services in a concrete core rising through the centre of the 10-storey building, designed by renowned architects Herzog & de Meuron. Contractors, REL Building Services, ruled out costly ga
- A major refurbishment of an historic building on North Shields fish quay has seen CP Electronics presence detectors playing a crucial role – saving installation time for the contractor and reducing energy consumption for the client.
The 16th Century, the Old Low Light is a Grade II listed building, the oldest of its kind on the North Shields fish quay. For centuries, the Old Low light was a major part of the North Shields fishing community, where its lighthouse helped guide generations of
- Five colleagues from R&B Star Electricals Wholesalers, based in London and the South East, are gearing up to spend nine days in Tanzania scaling the peak of Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s tallest free-standing mountain at 19,341ft above sea level. They hope to raise thousands of pounds for Muscular Dystrophy UK.
Sarah Revell, Dan Kenward, Aaron Felton, Adam Felton and Elspeth Robertson will join a group of 12 others flying to Tanzania to tackle the 6-day adventure.
The charity gives emoti
- Electric underfloor and wall heating is increasingly viewed as the modern alternative to traditional systems. Here, underfloor heating specialist, Heat Mat, shares some of the hidden facts that electrical wholesalers need to know about this evolving product sector.Electric underfloor heating is being applied increasingly in construction – from retrofit and refurbishment to new build projects. Systems can warm a single room or a whole building in settings as diverse as zoos, castles, hotels
Follow @Electrical_UK on Twitter!