Whitstable developer George Wilson has won a trip to Las Vegas after entering a competition with electrical wholesaler Electricbase.
He was entered into the ‘Watt’s Up’ prize draw after spending more than £100 on his first order with Electricbase, the electrical and lighting specialist within builders’ merchant Buildbase.
Mr Wilson was up against thousands of tradespeople across the UK, who flocked to branches to win on-the-spot prize as well as to be in with a chan
- The EDA (Electrical Distributors’ Association) has announced its new President, Simon Barkes, Managing Director of BEMCO, and the third member of his family to lead the Association’s Board.
Simon, who serves as President until March 2019, takes over the leadership of the 12-strong Board from Tom Jones, Divisional Director at Lockwell Electrical. Tom’s tenure as President (2015-2017) coincided with a significant growth for the EDA (120 new members joined from AWEBB and IBA, as
- With new business wins and a commitment to expand its business, Hamilton Litestat has appointed two new area sales managers. Iain Hamilton is Area Manager for the West Midlands and parts of the East Midlands, while Justin Whitham will manage the South West.
Iain joins the family-run business with over 35 years’ experience in the electrical industry. He has worked for a number of prominent brands that include wholesalers Hawnt Electrical and Edmundson Electrical, as well as manufacturers Wa
- The Electrical Distributors’ Association (EDA) has launched its ETIM-UK campaign, designed to transform the quality of technical product data flowing through the electrical installation supply chain.
The EDA’s vision is for all UK manufacturers and distributors to adopt ETIM’s global standard for classifying technical products, bringing us in line with key markets across Europe, the USA and Canada, where millions of products have already been classified using the long-establish
- Twenty-four EDA awards, recognising outstanding achievement in education and training across the UK’s electrical wholesale sector, have been presented at two glittering ceremonies.
Twelve managers received EDA Investor in Training Awards at the Association’s Annual Dinner in front of over 550 guests at the InterContintental Hotel on London’s Park Lane on Thursday 9 March 2017. The next day family, friends and colleagues gathered for a congratulatory lunch on the 34th floor of L
- Scolmore’s Click® Essentials accessories collection comprises products that are vital for installations, including junction boxes, flush mounted switches and socket boxes. The latest addition is a new, non-combustible metal enclosure.
Suitable for use with all Click® fused main switches, the new metal enclosure guarantees ease of installation.
Designed to mount flush against the wall, it features pre-cut mounting holes to ensure any compatible switch is aligned and mounted correctl
- TESP has added a disabled toilet alarm system to its growing range of fire and security related products.
Designed to meet the care standards set out in Part M building regulations BS 8300, the 3-part kit is simple to install and comprises an Indication Module, Pull Cord Module and Reset Module.
The Indication Module includes an 80db distinctive tone alert sounder with clear LED alert triangle indication for when the alarm has been triggered. The Pull cord module features an anti-ligature mechan
- Carl Kammerling International has launched an exclusive promotion for electrical trade customers. Fusebox, from 1st March to 31st May 2017, provides up to 65% discount on over 60 products.
With no sign up required, Fusebox features toolbox essentials from the C.K tools, C.K Magma, Avit and Kasp ranges, including pliers, cutters, screwdrivers, PTAs, lighting, storage and security.
Hero products in the promotion include the C.K MightyRod PRO cable rods plus the new C.K dextroVDE Slim Screwdrivers
- Yorkshire-based lighting company Lumilow Lighting has signed an exclusive UK distribution agreement with Relco Lighting, part of the Relco Group.
The agreement will allow the company to offer high quality products through wholesalers – with emphasis on technical LED products for residential, retail, industrial and amenity applications. Lumilow’s relationship with Relco is focused on the exclusive UK distribution of products manufactured by the Relco Lighting brand. Relco is one of th
- Venture Lighting Europe has launched a range of VLUMA luminaires, delivering significantly higher performance levels using the latest LED technology.
VLUMA luminaires maximise energy savings and efficiency for higher lumen output from lower system power consumption.
The VLUMA is available across a number of luminaries, from interior to exterior lighting. For office ceilings, VLUMA Edge Lit LED panels come in two versions with a power rating of 30W producing 3000 lumens. Measuring 595mm², th
- Electrical safety specialist, GreenBrook, has developed a new range of weatherproof accessories, the PowerBreaker ProteKt range, to provide unparalleled levels of safety and practicality in both commercial and domestic applications.
Easy to install, the PowerBreaker ProteKt range has been designed to offer the highest levels of protection against the ingress of water and solid matter (IP66) to provide safe and efficient electrical connections in even the most arduous conditions.
Ideal for use in
- Celeste is an attractive new circular LED luminaire from Luceco featuring a ‘corona’ backlight effect with a direct/indirect light distribution.
The Celeste is ideal for many commercial and residential lighting applications boasting a market leading efficacy range of Llm/w 107. The backlit accent effect is available in red, yellow, green and blue plus a choice of decorative bezel trims including white, brushed chrome and steel finish. The luminaire can be surface, wall mounted, or su
- Wieland Electric has supplied its Metalynx2 structured wiring system to enable the channelling of power and lighting within the newly redeveloped Belmont in the centre of Uxbridge, West London.
With the use of Wieland products, the Belmont office redevelopment project in Uxbridge exceeds regulatory requirements in the provision of a sustainable and innovative solution – and it is anticipated that the CAT A office redevelopment will result in the building achieving a BREEAM ‘Excellent
- Marshall-Tufflex’s Supertube is at the heart of an iconic London development being hailed as Britain’s most important new cultural building for almost 20 years.
Tate Modern’s new extension, the £260m Switch House, required a highly creative approach to the installation of electrical services in a concrete core rising through the centre of the 10-storey building, designed by renowned architects Herzog & de Meuron. Contractors, REL Building Services, ruled out costly ga
- A major refurbishment of an historic building on North Shields fish quay has seen CP Electronics presence detectors playing a crucial role – saving installation time for the contractor and reducing energy consumption for the client.
The 16th Century, the Old Low Light is a Grade II listed building, the oldest of its kind on the North Shields fish quay. For centuries, the Old Low light was a major part of the North Shields fishing community, where its lighthouse helped guide generations of
- Five colleagues from R&B Star Electricals Wholesalers, based in London and the South East, are gearing up to spend nine days in Tanzania scaling the peak of Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s tallest free-standing mountain at 19,341ft above sea level. They hope to raise thousands of pounds for Muscular Dystrophy UK.
Sarah Revell, Dan Kenward, Aaron Felton, Adam Felton and Elspeth Robertson will join a group of 12 others flying to Tanzania to tackle the 6-day adventure.
The charity gives emoti
- Electric underfloor and wall heating is increasingly viewed as the modern alternative to traditional systems. Here, underfloor heating specialist, Heat Mat, shares some of the hidden facts that electrical wholesalers need to know about this evolving product sector.Electric underfloor heating is being applied increasingly in construction – from retrofit and refurbishment to new build projects. Systems can warm a single room or a whole building in settings as diverse as zoos, castles, hotels
- Stuart Hall (pictured), Epicor Sales Director for UK and Ireland explains why having a technology strategy that includes a flexible ERP solution can help wholesalers achieve greater efficiencies and more profit.
Setting a technology strategy for wholesaler businesses is essential. In the current economic climate, operational efficiency and business agility are more important than ever – they support innovation and can be the key to greater profits. This is just as true in the electrical w
- From January 2018, all local space heaters manufactured for sale in the EU must comply with a minimum efficiency standard under Lot 20 of the Energy Efficiency Directive. Chris Stammers (pictured), Product Marketing Director for Dimplex, brings electrical wholesalers up to date to help make sure they are prepared for the changes.
Despite the uncertainty of Brexit, one thing remains constant across the EU – our need to use energy more efficiently. The EU is committed to achieving a 20 per
- By Andy Douglas, Managing Director, Timeguard
Over the years, mobile phones were probably the first thing that people bragged about when they had the smallest. Now, however, phones have got a bit bigger again, with a proliferation of new features and the revolution brought about by touch screens that need to be big enough to type on, read web pages or to watch videos.
So while compact designs are always welcome, and using fewer materials is more environmentally sustainable, size has becomes a m
- Hamilton Litestat has embarked on an expansion and restructuring initiative to develop its Bristol site into a turnkey production, sales and distribution centre, incorporating the development of a new Customer Contact Centre and engineering Centre of Excellence.
The result of recent business growth and success, Hamilton is currently expanding its Bristol site and centralising all operations to improve efficiency over the coming months. A new Customer Contact Centre (C3) will be developed to hand
- Smart Tech Live is back!
Following on from the success of last year’s inaugural seminar, there will be two Smart Tech Live events in 2017. The first will be held in London at The Grand Connaught Rooms on Friday 9th June. The second will be held at The Principal York in York on Thursday 15th June.
Preparing TODAY for the industry TOMORROW
Held in association with the ECA, the goal of Smart Tech Live is to inform and educate aspirational electrotechnicians about smart, connected, and innovat
- Are you aware of the dangers of asbestos inhalation?
Exposure to asbestos is a danger that every electrician faces and the consequences of breathing in disturbed fibres can be fatal. Virgil Anderson reached out to us on behalf of Mesothelioma.net, a US-based support site supporting those affected by cancer caused by asbestos inhalation.I was recently diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer caused by exposure to asbestos. From automotive to demolition work, I’ve had many jobs in my lif
- 8 steps to make a living as a smart home installer
Thinking of entering the smart home installation market? Follow our eight steps to success!
Over the last decade, smart home technology has increased in popularity but there are still many misconceptions among consumers. At Voltimum we often discuss how users see this new world, their fears and hopes, mostly because we believe that these discussions can help installers in guiding and educating consumers through their options.
However, what is le
- Whilst wandering the halls at ISE 2017 in Amsterdam, Voltimum was fortunate to get a glimpse of some of the new wireless devices added to the ABB-free@home home automation system.
Whilst wandering the halls at ISE 2017 in Amsterdam, Voltimum was fortunate to get a glimpse of some of the new wireless devices added to the ABB-free@home home automation system.
Until now, ABB-free@home has been, predominantly, a wired system, with sensors and actuators communicating via a 2-wire bus line. The system
- Five inventive tools that make an electrician’s life easier
We identify five simple solutions that were invented to make an electrician’s life that little bit easier.
Time is a luxury that many electricians don’t have. That’s why any tool or solution that can shave a few precious minutes off of a job is worth its weight in gold. All singing and dancing testing equipment and power tools are great but sometimes it is the simple solutions that can make the big difference.
- Fluke is an American brand with a reputation for portability, ruggedness, safety, ease of use and rigid standards of quality.
A digital multimeter is a necessity for troubleshooting and diagnosing electrical and electronic problems accurately, but sometimes finding the problem takes more time than you’d like. Fluke identifies five reasons why you need a thermal multimeter in your tool bag.
If you’re an electrician or technician who is responsible for keeping industrial systems and pr
- The LEDVANCE truck has started its tour of the UK and Ireland.The truck will be traversing the highways of the British Isles from the 13th February 2017 until the 3rd March 2017. It will be stopping at wholesalers and other convenient locations around the UK and Ireland to showcase LEDVANCE’s product portfolio to installers.
Visitors to the truck will get the chance to demo the brand’s new comprehensive range of LED luminaires and discover for themselves how straightforward they are
- Click Smart controls help you upgrade existing wiring installations
Click Smart has released a series of videos demonstrating common household problems that could be solved with its range of smart switches.
Click Smart makes it easier than ever for installers to provide an upgrade to an existing wiring installation. Smart Switches consist of a Retractive Switch Module and Switch Cover Plate. They are available in five switch types, in multiple finishes and styles from across the Click Wiring Acc
- Voltimum’s Ambassadors put Schneider Electric’s Easy9+ consumer unit to the test
Three Voltimum Ambassadors have put Schneider Electric’s Easy9+ consumer unit to the test on real-life applications. How did it stand up to scrutiny?
The latest in Voltimum’s Ambassadors programme has seen TG Electrical Services, ESDV Power and Philelectrics selected to try out Schneider Electric’s Easy9+ consumer unit on live projects.
The Easy9+ consumer unit boasts a number of innova
- powerBall 2017 is back for another extraordinary night which will recapture the ’70s classics and get everyone in the spirit of Friday Night Fever.
The event is organised by The Electrical Industries Trading Company Limited which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Electrical Industries Charity
This year’s powerBall promises to be the most colourful and unforgettable experience which will get your feet moving all night long to its ’70s disco theme of Friday Night Fever. In 30
- The active fire protection sector is relatively mature and has been primarily driven by the wider performance of the UK building and construction market, according to AMA Research. However, the construction sector has shown good growth over the last three years or so and this has translated into some better growth figures for the active fire protection market.
Source: AMA Research/Trade Estimates
Growth in the active fire protection sector has been positive since 2013 with the chart featured her
- Jeff Kerridge, Sales Manager at cable management company Marco, explains why people are at the heart of this growing business.
While many businesses are looking to streamline their operations, Marco is moving in the opposite direction, injecting more personality and more people-contact into its operations.
Sales Manager, Jeff Kerridge says: “I believe there is a growing backlash from the consumer who is unwilling to be treated like a mere transaction. Our personable approach is built on a
- Manufacturers risk losing out on trade opportunities with Europe without appropriate CE marking for their cable products, says BRE Global, a UK leader in fire, security and environmental testing and certification of construction products.
BRE Global undertakes cable fire/safety testing and certification for CE Marking
The 1st July 2017 deadline, when CE marking becomes mandatory for power, control and communication cables placed on the European market, is just around the corner, warns BRE Global
- Relationships are key to building any business, but good relationships are most important in situations where you are relying on someone to raise awareness, inform and sell your product to their customers. In the electricals industry, a distributor is first port of call for installers needing products and advice. Hamilton Litestat tells us why that manufacturer/distributor relationship is so key.
Medlock Harringay’s Trade Counter Manager, Eric Rose, with Hamilton Litestat’s Area Sale
- Buying group AWEBB has launched a new quarterly, priced magazine, which will reach a readership of 10,000 customers nationwide via its membership network.
AWEBB has operated a central stores delivering crucial stock, next day, to its members for more than 20 years so it is a natural progression to showcase what’s in store directly to members’ customers, says the group’s CEO, Mark Lambert.
The magazine, TRADES Choice, features key stock from leading manufactures such as NEST, H
- Scolmore Group has been successful in upgrading its ISO 9001 certification to the new International Quality Standard ISO 9001:2015.
With only 15% of UK companies having applied to transition from the old standard when it was introduced in September 2015, Scolmore says its decision to update to the new system early, demonstrates its continued commitment to remain at the forefront of developments in their industry and that it will set them apart from competitors.
The company’s early transiti
- Manufacturer Hamilton Litestat is linking up with the Electrical Contractors’ Association (ECA), the UK’s leading trade association representing the interests of electrotechnical contractors and engineers across design, installation, inspection, testing and maintenance.
Hamilton will become an ECA ‘commercial associate’ and will engage with the organisation and its members to maximise business success and opportunities within the engineering services sector. This include
- Thorn Lighting’s Altis and Mundial floodlights were installed at Leicester City FC to elevate the facility to Premier League standards prior to their title win that was described as the greatest sporting upset ever, or the best football fairy-tale of history.
The lighting refurbishment work at Leicester City FC commenced before the club became champions of the Premier League as its King Power Stadium had to meet the levels of vertical illuminance required for HDTV sport coverage.
- Scolmore has expanded its Inceptor range of integrated lighting products with a selection of energy-saving LED Bulkheads that have convenience and speed of installation as their key attributes.
The new Inceptor EVO Bulkhead offers a number of features and benefits unmatched by competitor products and Scolmore has a patent pending on the product’s unique design.
As well as integrating the control gear and the light source within the diffuser, the bulkhead also has a Flow plug allowing for f
- According to leading fire and security products supplier, ESP, there are still a lot of installers who are unaware that a fire isolator switch is a legal requirement with all new fire alarm systems being installed in the UK – coming under the BS539 Part 1 Standard.
ESP’s new BS5839 compliant Fire Isolator Switch securely isolates the mains supply feeding a fire system control panel and is crucial for fire system maintenance. The supply can only be isolated by an authorised person, us
- Carl Kammerling International has extended its screwdrivers range with C.K dextroVDE Slim Screwdrivers – designed for quick and easy access to recessed screws and fixings. The new screwdrivers have a slim shaft and an ergonomic handle for increased comfort, control and safety. The premium chrome vanadium steel blades also offer exceptional strength and durability.
Tested to 10,000v, each screwdriver provides safe live working up to 1,000v and the dynamic torsional feedback offered by the C
- Carl Kammerling International has launched the pioneering MightyRod PRO range of cable rods, featuring advanced technology to deliver the ultimate in performance.
Featuring SplinterSHIELD, a significant advancement in cable rod technology and a European first, the 100 per cent splinterproof coating encases the inner fibreglass rod to prevent harmful and painful splintering.
Available in a 7mm rigid rod for overhead use, a 6mm flexible rod for most everyday applications, and a 4mm super-flexible
- Light Efficient Design UK Limited announces the immediate availability of its LED-8090A 120W retrofit lighting solution for low bay and floodlight installations.
The LED-8090A allows affordable and non-invasive replacement of 400W HIDs with 120W LED. Its unique, single sided LED design allows a very high light output ratio ensuring users benefit from clean, bright light (>80 CRI) while saving up to 70% in energy costs and emissions.
Using the existing light fittings, installation simply requi
- New energy efficient electric heating has come of age.
Whilst many of the UK’s 3.9 million off-grid households have been benefitting from this highly efficient heating technology, those on the gas grid should now consider electrical warmth too. With gas security being brought into question, with gas reserves lower than usual at this time of year, the option of electric heating is coming into focus. Vent-Axia’s range of energy efficient electric heating includes: Opal Aluminium Radiat
- GreenBrook’s new tubular heaters have a built-in adjustable thermostat from 5°C min to 40°C max and operate with an instant start. Fitted with a re-settable thermal trip, these discrete low level heaters take up very little room where wall height or space is a concern. They offer an ideal solution for heating conservatories, garages and greenhouses and are a great addition to our standard range of tubular heaters.
Rated IP44, these units are available in lengths from 1ft to 6ft and
- The Epicor BisTrack ERP (enterprise resource planning) solution is an award-winning distribution software system that offers the functionality needed to process simple to complex transactions for electrical wholesalers.
BisTrack can bring together the whole business operation of a wholesaler, from sales, purchasing and marketing to quality control and warehouse operations, enabling them to work together.
BisTrack provides a view of your business as a whole, or alternatively, a view of a specific
- Redring’s new ‘3 in 1’ boiling water tap, Reditap, offers an affordable option, dispensing both boiling water plus conventional hot and cold water mixing.
Boiling water taps were once seen as a luxury purchase. But with the launch of Reditap, the technology is now more readily available to the mass market.
Reditap is a straightforward install, requiring minimum tools as it comes complete with all the necessary fittings in one box.
Reditap also offers excellent flow rates, class
- Many IT professionals arerelying on small spaces for their ever increasing business criticalapplications, such as branch office operations, telecom and edge computing.
- CEF LIVE returns to Birmingham’s NEC Arena on June 8th and 9th this year. Hosted by CEF, the electrical products and services supplier, the event will feature leading brands, exclusive offers and vital information about imminent industry changes.
Ahead of the release of The 18th Edition of the IET Wiring Regulations later this year, attendees will gain a first glimpse of how the new legislation could affect the way they work when they come into force, and hear from industry experts on how
Follow @Electrical_UK on Twitter!