- Dairy showed the largest six-year shipment value increase compared to any other food and beverage segment, according to PMMI’s 2017 Trends in Food Processing Operations report.
- Palcut, which works with Kellogg’s, Mondelēz and Arla Foods cutting custom-sized paper from rolls for palletization, has launched a Point-of-Sale (POS) concept; the Antim intermediate sheet.
- After having required clean label, consumers are now concerned about manufacturing processes, says Claranor.
- Danone has published its first quarter results, and forecast improvements due to completion of the WhiteWave acquisition.
- A Melbourne food packaging start-up has been acquired by RPC for an undisclosed sum—the latest purchase by the global plastics player in a frenzied buying spree.
- Amidst the uncertainty surrounding the future of NAFTA with US President Donald Trump pledging to get rid of the trade partnership, Mexico has been looking to diversify its trading partners.
- Ornua Foods North America has filed a trademark lawsuit against Old World Creamery and its newly-formed brand, Eurogold, in Wisconsin for naming its new butter product “Irishgold” because Ornua says it is substantially similar to its Kerrygold Irish butter trademark.
- Unilever published its first quarter financial results this week, with ice cream doing well as the company reports solid growth.
- Ametek has agreed to acquire Mocon for $182m, with the deal expected to close in Q2, 2017.
Cornell professor of agricultural economics: US took advantage of 'loophole’ in dairy trade with CanadaMultiple US dairy groups have blasted Canada recently saying that the country is blatantly violating terms of the NAFTA trade agreement and that US dairy processors are suffering due to lost Canadian purchases of ultrafiltered (UF) milk.
- Dubai health officials have called on Danone’s infant nutrition brand to support its drive to persuade parents to adopt health eating habits for their toddlers.
- Saudia Dairy and Foodstuff Company (Sadafco) has launched a functional laban fruit drink in the Middle East after demoing the product in Britain.
- An explosion which killed four people at Loy-Lange Box Co. involved a water tank which contained 330°F hot water, the US Chemical Safety Board (CSB) has confirmed.
- A Spanish study to monitor the presence of 19 active drugs in water samples collected from milking parlors of dairy farms located in Galicia (northwest Spain), discovered 65% of the samples tested positive for at least one of the compounds analyzed.
- SIG Combibloc has launched its first Corporate Responsibility (CR) report, which includes recycling blocks of pre-melted PE in China, its 2030 goals, focusing on an aseptic carton made from 100% renewable materials by 2020 and its combibloc EcoPlus pack.
- The STA has published a summary of current solar deployment at a major crunch point for the solar industry. This was reported in national media over the Easter weekend. The data shows that this year, solar retrofits on existing homes amounted to the equivalent of one roof per MP constituency per week, and the equivalent nationally of only one large factory roof per month.
The end of March heralded the final closure of the Renewables Obligation, the key support scheme for solar farms, as well as
- Novel-textured, high-protein desserts may soon become available thanks to a method that uses whey protein and polysaccharides to reduce the calorie content of high-fat foods such as ice-cream.
- German dairy brand Privatmolkerei Naarmann says a novel form of packaging will be central to its strategy as it prepares to begin distribution of UHT milk in Pakistan, the world’s fourth-biggest dairy market, from May.
- NiceLabel, a developer of label and marking productivity software solutions, recently worked with Arla Foods to standardize its label management for all of its industrial printers.
- In some European countries, calorie intake from packaged food is four times greater than for fresh - a golden opportunity for industry to make processed food healthier in one of three ways, says one Euromonitor analyst.
- China’s booming cheese market was worth around RMB3.3bn in 2015 and continues to grow at an annual rate of 20% according to new market research.
- The Defending the Agricultural Industry’s Requirements Year-round Act of 2017 (DAIRY Act), a new immigration reform policy for dairy operations, was recently introduced to Congress aiming to ensure that US dairy producers have a reliable source of labor.
- DuPont Nutrition & Health is targeting the growing $800m lactose-free dairy market with its GODO-YNL2 Lactase enzyme for use in yogurt, milk, and dairy-based beverages.
- Should brands making dairy products from cows that may have consumed GM feed be allowed to market their wares as ‘all natural’? Absolutely, insisted Dannon in court papers filed this week urging the judge to dismiss the “daisy-chained” logic of a false advertising lawsuit filed in New York.
- The latest trends and production processes for extrusion-blown packaging are systems for the ecological production of bottles, containers, cans, drums and IBCs (Intermediate Bulk Containers) made of plastic, says Bekum.
Fonterraâ€™s NZMP non-GMO ingredients part of plan to make â€˜dairy nutrition accessible to the worldâ€™NZMP, Fonterra’s dairy ingredients business, which represents 60% of the company’s revenue, and has launched a non-GMO ingredient range in North America.
- Greiner Packaging has spoken about the challenges of Brexit, US President Trump, sustainability and future packaging trends in the run up to Interpack 2017.
- Researchers in China have developed a molecular tool to detect Salmonella in powdered dairy products.
- Danone has completed its acquisition of WhiteWave.
- Loews Corporation has agreed to acquire Consolidated Container Company (CCC) for $1.2bn creating Loews Packaging Group.
- The effects of probiotics during breastfeeding and how to identify unique chemical signatures to elucidate the benefits of probiotic yogurt are the two research projects on the receiving end of the Dannon Fellowship Grant.
- The health risk from pesticide residues in food is low, according to a report by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), with 97% of samples within legal limits - but this is an "upbeat" interpretation which ignores the cocktail effect, critics say.
- Klöckner Pentaplast Group (KP) will acquire Linpac for an undisclosed sum to expand into the rigid and flexible film market, focusing on consumer demand for healthy and safe food with an extended shelf life.
Sol-gel-based stainless steel surface reduces fouling and biofilm formation during milk pasteurizationMilk fouling and biofilms are common problems in the dairy industry for many types of processing equipment. Fouling requires frequent clean-in-place, leading to increased down time and reduced production.
- Dr Pete BerryKey stakeholders across the UK’s farming sector have joined academic scientists for a collaborative workshop to discuss the challenge of increasing crop production whilst maintaining soil health.
The workshop, ‘Increasing crop productivity through understanding and improving soil health’, was co-hosted by the N8 Research Partnership’s (N8) AgriFood programme and research and consultancy company ADAS.
Farmers, agronomists, farming industries and academics att
- AkzoNobel, Advanced Biochemical (Thailand) Co. (ABT) and EY, have launched an online tool that can track the use of bio-based raw materials in products.
- Indian dairy cooperative Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd. (GCMMF, Amul), which markets the Amul brand of milk and other dairy products, has registered a provisional turnover of Rs. 27,085 crores ($4.2bn) for the financial year 2016-17 which ended on March 31, 2017.
- Dutch dairy cooperative Royal FrieslandCampina (FrieslandCampina) says it has reached 10,000 households – approximately 50,000 people – in Dawpon Township, Yangon, as part of its campaign to raise awareness of a balanced diet and dairy products, especially among children.
Mother files lawsuit against Mead Johnson alleging baby fell â€˜gravely illâ€™ from insect-contaminated formulaMead Johnson is facing a $5m lawsuit from a mother who alleges its infant formula brand, Enfamil, was contaminated by insects leading to the hospitalization of her baby.
- German frozen food company FRoSTA AG has announced it is exclusively negotiating the purchase of the frozen food business of Italian company Nestlé Italiana S.p.A. with Nestlé.
- New legislation could require manufacturers to give detailed origin labelling for all pre-packaged food on Italian shelves or face heavy fines – but does the move undermine EU law and would it be effective?
- Four people have died after a hot water storage tank exploded through the roof of Loy-Lange Box Company in Saint Louis, Missouri, US.
- Arla is investing approximately €12m ($12.7m) to upgrade its AKAFA production site in northern Denmark, which will allow it to add infant milk formula (IMF) production to its existing powdered milk capacity.
- Exhibiting at ProFood Tech last week, Tetra Pak showcased its “CustoMILKzation” interactive video concept designed for its customers searching for ways to reimagine their milk products amid slumping fluid milk sales.
- Acacia gum is safe for use as a food additive concludes the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) following a risk re-evaluation request from the European Commission.
- Gizeh has developed a twin chamber cup for a yogurt dessert line by Müller.
- Silgan Holdings has completed its $1bn acquisition of WestRock Company specialty closures and dispensing systems business.
- Milk Specialties Global, a dairy protein manufacturer based in Minnesota, has launched a clean label calcium caseinate produced from US milk to better target the growing sports nutrition market.
- Dairy giant Fonterra’s naturally occurring probiotic could be responsible for a 68% reduction in gestational diabetes in pregnant women, according to researchers.
- Ledo has partered with RPC Superfos to launch its Croatian ice cream dessert, Kremsnita in an EasySnacking pack.
Follow @DairyIndustryUK on Twitter!